Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Default Isofix baby restraints?

Hi All,

Isofix seat clips for baby seats- I an aware that these have not been approved for use in Australia.....thats a whole different discussion but what i am trying to find out is if anyone knows where they can be retro fitted to an Audi- dealerships are unable to for the legal implications but there must be an engineer or similar who would fit them with the caveat that they are not recommended for use here? I am based in Sydney but if someone interstate knows, they may also know of someone locally too. If the info is deemed to sensitive, please PM me!
Any help much appreciated!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
GT-E

Default Re: Isofix baby restraints?

I have the ISOFix as standard on my new Jeep, but I cannot find any local seats that support them. Everything is out of the UK or USA that makes the shipping difficult. We have decided to stick with the old type, as it is way to costly to change.
As for your questions, I do not know if you want the Audi retrofitted or the seats you have. AFAIK you cannot do either. The baby seats need to be designed for the ISOFix and the mounting points are right down near your hips. I guess you could attach them to the belt buckle, but it would not be right. I think you will need to just do what I have done and live with the old system. One day the government will realise that road safety is more than just fining drivers for speeding
Old 20-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #3
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
I have the ISOFix as standard on my new Jeep, but I cannot find any local seats that support them. Everything is out of the UK or USA that makes the shipping difficult. We have decided to stick with the old type, as it is way to costly to change.
As for your questions, I do not know if you want the Audi retrofitted or the seats you have. AFAIK you cannot do either. The baby seats need to be designed for the ISOFix and the mounting points are right down near your hips. I guess you could attach them to the belt buckle, but it would not be right. I think you will need to just do what I have done and live with the old system. One day the government will realise that road safety is more than just fining drivers for speeding

I like your last comment! We already have the ISOFIX baby seats and I know that the older Audis can be retro fitted........for the object of this excersise, I am assuming that we will only stick with the ISOFIX system...........

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Old 20-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #4
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

We use to own a sports car with ISOfix. Looked into the whole thing of using them.

What stopped us was that you would be in a world of poo legally if you had an accident. You cannot buy ADR approved ISOFix seats in Australia as far as I am aware.

Went to an engineer to see about what could be done. Nothing was the answer. You need a ADR approved child seat and restraint system.

In QLD at least there is currently a review of ISOfix underway.
Old 20-09-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
We use to own a sports car with ISOfix. Looked into the whole thing of using them.

What stopped us was that you would be in a world of poo legally if you had an accident. You cannot buy ADR approved ISOFix seats in Australia as far as I am aware.

Went to an engineer to see about what could be done. Nothing was the answer. You need a ADR approved child seat and restraint system.

In QLD at least there is currently a review of ISOfix underway.

Its daft, I know all of the legal ramifications but in spite of that, they are by far and away the superior method of fitting restraints........it looks like a phonecall to the UK for parts is in order.........!

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

Quote:
Old 20-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #6
beanbag

australia has one of the toughest standards in car seats in the world , to meet our standard seats have to pass ,frontal ,side rear and rollover test , many overseas countries only test for frontal.
the reason isofix is seen as better is not because the seats are actually safer its the fact that they are very easy to fit 100% correctly and thats where our teather strap system can be let down , 60 to 70% of our car seats in australia are not fitted correctlly . when fitted correctly our seats are just as safe if not safer than overseas restraints.
isofix is not going to get into our country anytime soon , they not only have to change the australian design rules but also the australian standards , which compiles of 2 different government bodies . so not going to happen anytime soon
so to use an isofix restraint in australia is illegal , can cause all types of insurance issues if u are involved in an accident.and posibly not as safe
so i comes down to using an australian child restraint and making sure it is fitted correctly , so imo rather than saying why isnt isofix used blah blah blah , how about show me how to fit this restraint that cost me 500 bucks so i can make sure my greatest creation in my child is safe.
beanbag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-E
Everything is out of the UK or USA that makes the shipping difficult.
how about a uk/usa address? using a shipping agent like borderlinx.com
Old 05-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #8
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

sorry for the thread mine, but for whoever is interested, you'll be happy to know that ISOFIX in a locally produced vehicle is closer than you think.

We might even beat the 'other mob' to the party! ;)
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-04-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so are they actually going to be approved for use? and be able to buy/use the isofix restraint system?

my understanding is that my wife's car has the isofix system in the car (2011 hyundai ix35) but we can't use them to attach the kids seats to it.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
bungarra

Isoix is required for export to international markets, might be a good sign for Falcon, but the neigh sayers will say it spells the end and a sign of FoA going to imports.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Sneaky, the legislation was to be finalised this year by standards Australia. For a car to be certified and approved, the framework would have to be finalised, so yes, I believe they will be available soon. Best check with britax etc, they'll have a fair idea about when they'll be able to legally sell ISOFIX seats.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
leighm

carseat.se is where I got my seat from. Shipping was under $100. Best thing I did was buy an ISO seat, the seatbelt method is rubbish and leads to improper fitment.
leighm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post