Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
david_100
Tickford Man

Default Intake Snorkle!

hey guys, just a simple question, do you get much power increase (kw) if you replace a standard series 1 xr8 snorkle with a widemouth or ss inductions snorkle?
I know the ss inductions is more expensive than the widemouth snorkle but is there really a big difference between the two in power?

Cheers guys,

david_100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Afaik, ss stuff is overpriced considering the gains, check the group buys section for a far better CAI that houses a pod filter. But if it's just the snorkle your after, you can grab one off a b series xr8t for 40 bucks, theyre a lot easier to find than the au wide mouths.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

b series xr8t lol where can i get one?!?!
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 07:09 PM   #4
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_100
hey guys, just a simple question, do you get much power increase (kw) if you replace a standard series 1 xr8 snorkle with a widemouth or ss inductions snorkle?
I know the ss inductions is more expensive than the widemouth snorkle but is there really a big difference between the two in power?

Cheers guys,
I had the ss inductions fitted to a AU XR8 a while back, as far as extra kw goes unable to tell you but the vehicle is much better for it.

Some have mixed feelings about their CAI, in my case it is all positive so far, you do have other options like a pod setup, have a look at the group buy but yes the ss cai works very well indeed.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 07:35 PM   #5
5L
[ 5L ]

dont waste your money,

cut a hole in the lower section of your airbox

its free, and the best CAI mod you can do without spending big bucks on G&D style box.

IMO the ss inductions snorkels for fords are a waste of time, they arnt that much better than the standard style snorkel.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
david_100
Tickford Man

So you just cut a hole at the bottom?.. how big and where abouts? Im probly gonna get a panel filter, i heard they are better then a pod filter?
Old 29-04-2009, 12:04 AM   #7
THR347

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHaveIgnition
Afaik, ss stuff is overpriced considering the gains, check the group buys section for a far better CAI that houses a pod filter. But if it's just the snorkle your after, you can grab one off a b series xr8t for 40 bucks, theyre a lot easier to find than the au wide mouths.
Try $48! Bought a xr6t snorkel today from my local Ford dealership and they've had yet another price increase... As for power difference you can't really measure the kw gain, but i must say acceleration is much smoother and tad bit more responsive. Definitely bang for your buck even at $48 considering how expensive SS kits are.
Old 29-04-2009, 12:25 AM   #8
Pepe_17
AU XR

I just had my AU XR6 fitted with a BA XR8 Snorkel and in terms of throttle response i am pleased..i can notice a slight difference..also runs much better..in my opinion your better off spending a little bit of money for a small mod that provides good benefits...

GALAXY BLUE
Pepe_17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyou
Try $48! Bought a xr6t snorkel today from my local Ford dealership and they've had yet another price increase... As for power difference you can't really measure the kw gain, but i must say acceleration is much smoother and tad bit more responsive. Definitely bang for your buck even at $48 considering how expensive SS kits are.
funny... i was quoted $37 over the phone and the next day I went in to order one and they wanted to charge me $48! after an argument the guy got the other guy who quoted me $37 to tell me he quoted me for the F6 lower snorkel when I CLEARLY asked him twice if it was the correct price for the xr6t upper snorkel on the phone
i couldnt be bothered arguing so i just paid and left
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #10
5L
[ 5L ]

spend your money on a good panel filter k&n or bmc are the go IMO

basically the airbox mod is like this, i am yet to do it but will be doing it when i am on holidays in a fortnight. but i can see the logic in it. around the headlights of the car there is a gap which air passes through into the engine bay. so cutting a hole in the lower airbox means that the air is still filtered by the filter and is cold air that is directly forced into the airbox. along with the air that comes in via the snorkel.

at a stop there could be a bad point of hot air from the engine that might get sucked up, but once moving i cant see any problems that could pop up.

here is a ms paint version ;) that might make it a bit easier to understand.

[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 29-04-2009, 07:24 AM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

That is an awesome, mod, when you cut the front out, you can actually FEEL the difference. Plus the whole note of the car changes. Just make sure you cut the hole BELOW the line of the lowest part of the filter.
Old 29-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #12
Erich

anyone else tried AUXR8220's mod above? Im about o get a K&N Panel filter and this is worth a shot IMO
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Eu-GenixX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have installed a hyperflow lower intake on my BF... which kinda has a similar effect.. i cut a hole in the front of the air box.. and bolted the intake on... all it does is kinda block a little bit of the hot air from the engine bay... but there is no reason why this wouldn't work..

possible even cut a hole in the side of the airbox.. opposite side to the engine... the side the air con pipes go... you would get even less hot air... or do both... tho that might be a little extreme...
Eu-GenixX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #14
Erich

looking at the AUIII - I recon I will do the following (and post some pics up)

As Eu-GenixX said - LF Fender side near the air con pipes. The box has some strenghtning bars on it that side so I might just do 6 - 10 holes using a hole saw to as big as I can between the vertical plastic strengthning bars. Screw in some screen on the inside (all below the panel filter of course and my K&N Panel filter thats coming from Kenny should do the job

Last edited by Erich; 29-04-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 29-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
fordAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
IMO the ss inductions snorkels for fords are a waste of time, they arnt that much better than the standard style snorkel.
They are a lot better than the standard Tickford intake, much more air flow and more importantly they work very well.

It was well worth it, no way I would be cutting a hole in the box that is unsealed.
Old 29-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #16
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
That is an awesome, mod, when you cut the front out, you can actually FEEL the difference. Plus the whole note of the car changes. Just make sure you cut the hole BELOW the line of the lowest part of the filter.
I didnt mean that the SS induction was good, I meant the cutting the airbox mod was good.
Old 29-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #17
DougM

As a newbie I put an SS inductions snorkel to my XR8 220 and there definately was a noticeable difference. Since then i have modified the lower box with a 100mm hole at the front with a flexible pipe to the back of the headlight. When you open the throttle and put your hand near the SS intake there is only a small amount of suction telling you that the front is where it's at!!

Cheers.
Doug
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #18
5L
[ 5L ]

i compared pictures of the ss induction snorkel and the tickford snorkel and for $350 they want for the ss induction snorkel i see it as alot of money for such a minimal gain. from what i can see they are only taller, and have a stainless scoop that fits in the grill. which is something that can be made out of sheet metal and easily bent up yourself.

ss inductions do make some good CAI though just for eseires and AU's there product is very limited.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 29-04-2009, 07:56 PM   #19
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Since we're on the topic of CAI's etc, is there any decent ones out that can be fitted behind a standard AU headlight for a V8 that's not an XR? There's SFA airflow behind there since the gap between the headlight and bumper are sealed up pretty well, fitted a K&N with XR6T snorkel already but thought there may be a better solution? Tried a BA GT pod setup and lost 13kw (some of that may be attributed to difference in dynos but not the lot)
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 08:27 PM   #20
fordAU

Out of interest to compare the measurements of the SS inductions one and the Tickford snorkel I just went down to the garage with a ruler and they are as follows.

Tickford - Height at opening 2 1/2cm
width at opening 15cm
width where it fits in the box 8cm

SS - Height at opening 8cm
width at opening 20cm
width where it fits in the box 14cm ( thats an approx as its fitted )

Also the SS tube is much fatter..

I had mine fitted at SS with the new version which has a larger front opening than what they show on their site, from memory was about $300 fitted.

If I had known about G&D's cai at the time I would have gone with that one but I am happy with the SS version, anyway to the original poster you have a number of options.
Old 29-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #21
david_100
Tickford Man

Hi guys thanks heaps for all your help, highly appreciated. I am probably going to go with XR8220's method or something very similar to the way DougM setup his intake behind the headlight..
I am also going to get a wide mouth snorkle and k&n panel filter!...

I was bored today so i decided to make an air intake scoop,
(Looks much better in real life then picture)

The car was more responsive and smoother. I believe that is quicker now when i put the foot down, it was a pretty worthwhile mod IMO
Old 30-04-2009, 08:52 AM   #22
Erich

pity you dont have a pic of the scoop itself out of the car ;)
Old 30-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #23
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate,

Not sure whether you are interested, but I think I will be selling my SS Inductions intake.

I'll be selling the lot with the modified airbox, and filter. Let me know if you want more details. Thanks
Old 30-04-2009, 09:28 AM   #24
prydey
Rob

to have any gain, you need to increase the amount of air going into the airbox. bolting on a xr6t/xr8 snorkel will do bugger all as the hole going into the box remains the same size. a simple analogy - if you fill a bucket with water through a funnel, and then get a bigger funnel with the same size outlet at the bottom, it will take the same amount of time to fill.

this is where ss type intakes and dual entry intakes differ. home made jobbies are best as the gains are not huge so the less you spend the better.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #25
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Correct prydey, the SS inductions inlet to the airbox, is close to double the size, as original.

I would have to say I made some gains. On an I6, I made 114rwkw, with SS Inductions intake and Cat-Back exhaust.

Cheers
Old 30-04-2009, 12:35 PM   #26
Erich

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
to have any gain, you need to increase the amount of air going into the airbox. home made jobbies are best as the gains are not huge so the less you spend the better.
So the hole in the lower part of the airbox as discussed (with a hole saw on the LH panel side) can only be a win-win in cost/gain then?
Old 30-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #27
AUbigfoot
Ford beginner

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
this is where ss type intakes and dual entry intakes differ. home made jobbies are best as the gains are not huge so the less you spend the better.
This is a large reason as to why I won't bother with an SS
AUbigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #28
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dunno what ford places u go to but i picked up a XR6T snorkel today brand new from ford for $31.60, i run a 68mm throttle body aswell and going for the smaller snorkel to the larger there is definitely a major difference in throttle response.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #29
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
spend your money on a good panel filter k&n or bmc are the go IMO

basically the airbox mod is like this, i am yet to do it but will be doing it when i am on holidays in a fortnight. but i can see the logic in it. around the headlights of the car there is a gap which air passes through into the engine bay. so cutting a hole in the lower airbox means that the air is still filtered by the filter and is cold air that is directly forced into the airbox. along with the air that comes in via the snorkel.

at a stop there could be a bad point of hot air from the engine that might get sucked up, but once moving i cant see any problems that could pop up.

here is a ms paint version ;) that might make it a bit easier to understand.

i was thinking about doing the exact same thing as what u have here except drill a load of 10mm holes everywhere on the front (behind headlight) and the right side (opposite the engine) isntead of cutting to massive squares out of it.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51OAU
drill a load of 10mm holes everywhere on the front (behind headlight) and the right side (opposite the engine) isntead of cutting to massive squares out of it.
Whats the point? Just means less airflow and a swiss cheese airbox.

The hole in the front of the airbox works (makes a nice sound too) but I wouldnt try it on a non-XR model. You just dont have as much airflow coming into that area because of the different headlight design.