Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
spider
Starter Motor

Default climate change questions

Hi, im currently watching world around us and because theyre talking about polar bears and climate change im just wanting to ask the following.

1. will old cars be taken off the road?
if so what age will be the limit?

2. how can we keep ol cars on the road if we like that particular one?

3. will we still be having winter in june, july and augast?

4. will we still be having autumn in march april and may and spring in september, october and november?

5. is there anything else they can do to stop climate change?

6. as we can accidently let coolant on the ground what happens if it comes to the car not being allowed even to overheat and to accidently let coolant on the ground? i dont think itll come to that but just interested to know

i think oil will be more concern than coolant

spider is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
ELtim
Six One Eight

1. That would be the idea but I can't see how they're going to do that.

2. See above

3. Yes, but it's not going to be the same as it used to be. Less rain and Less really cold days. Although we should still get it.

4. Yes, but once again it's not going to be the traditional autumn.

5. Not really, but they're working on it. The one thing you could do is not use so much electricity (turn of lights, power points etc.). Walk instead of drive (if you can).

6. What?

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
spider
Starter Motor

how do we keep older cars on the road for as long as we like what can we do to them to keep them on the road as long as we like. and what age will be the limit before theyll be off the road
Old 16-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
3vXT

1. Maybe

2. see above

3. Maybe

4. see above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELtim
Not really, but they're working on it. The one thing you could do is not use so much electricity (turn of lights, power points etc.). Walk instead of drive (if you can).
6. I'd be more worried about what comes out the back of the car than the occasional coolant leak.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 09:28 PM   #5
spider
Starter Motor

what i really want to know is how do we keep old cars on the road as long as we like without having them taken off, what do we do to make them less polluting.

will ea-ba fords ever be taken off the roads
Old 16-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #6
Kil4Collingwood

You CANNOT stop climate change, at best MAYBE slow it down sick of these climate "scientists" making it sound like if we stop human pollution the climate will be rosy forever, it just wont happen.
Climate change is a natural occurance has happened in the past and will continue for as long as this planet exists
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
fmc351
let it burn

Engines die naturally too, doesnt mean you should rev it without coolant for 3 hours. People die everyday too, doesnt mean smoking isnt bad for you. Just because a version of something occurs naturally does not mean there arent other factors making it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELtim
1. That would be the idea but I can't see how they're going to do that.

2. See above

3. Yes, but it's not going to be the same as it used to be. Less rain and Less really cold days. Although we should still get it.

4. Yes, but once again it's not going to be the traditional autumn.

5. Not really, but they're working on it. The one thing you could do is not use so much electricity (turn of lights, power points etc.). Walk instead of drive (if you can).

6. What?
Global warming is a poor wording choice. Its actually extremes of weather. It will colder than it does now, and hotter at other times than it does now. The patterns of cold and warm wont follow what we have now either. As in season shifts, and they wont be the same year to year. These extremes in temperature will bring about more sever weather phenomena than we experience currently. ie: natural weather disasters that are caused by air colliding or rising with air temps of the opposite character. (hot to cold, cold to hot). The resulting forces will be greater than what the current changes result in now, thus the effects will be worse.

The other effects are on the oceans, and despite the common misconception the trees are the air cleaners, its actually the oceans that do most of that. Changes in the water temps change current patterns, and change the life cycles of that eco-system, resulting in follow on effects for all forms of life in the food chain, or natural cycles.

Thats the theory anyway.

IMO, cars as a number contribute a large quantity of the issues, but in the scale of the worlds pollutants, they are a drop in the ocean. Its just BEEN easier for governments to put the pressure on the general population than it is to actually make a difference. Thats changing, but cars are still on the agenda.

Last edited by fmc351; 16-03-2008 at 09:54 PM.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 09:56 PM   #8
spider
Starter Motor

i havent got my exact answer on the following

what i really want to know is how do we keep old cars on the road as long as we like without having them taken off, what do we do to make them less polluting.

Old 16-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider

Yes .........
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
spider
Starter Motor

how do we keep old cars on the road as long as we like and make the less polluting
Old 16-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
Kil4Collingwood

I seriously doubt they would outlaw old cars per se', on the one hand you would like to see them banned just to get the bombs off the road, but then on the other hand how do you do it without effecting the enthusiests who look after these cars to a point they are actually in better nick than alot of later models in the end any decision would be made on potential loss of votes not environment.
So no I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

EA-BA, well its not like they are classics. Theyll melt in the sun long before the issue of whether they need to be collected is a concern.

Looking into the crystal ball, the day will likely come where all old cars (maybe anything over 10yrs old) will only get some sort of recreational/club type reg, they wont be daily drivers. I dont think thats in the near future though. As for keeping on the road, the same as now, make sure its roadworthy and meets the emissions for that car.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #13
Kryton

Quote:
how do we keep old cars on the road as long as we like and make the less polluting
seriously, you have the internet, try looking for the answer yourself.
youve asked this exact same question 4 or 5 times now.
who ever said that the government is forcing cars off the road anyway?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #14
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

^^^^ Agreed
Old 16-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #15
spider
Starter Motor

thanks for your honesty what does recriational and club type rego mean i neaver heard of that
Old 16-03-2008, 11:04 PM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

The answer to your Question #5. About "stopping," climate change... anybody who harps on about "stopping," it is giving you complete hogwash. "Climate change," is a natural phenomenon that has been occuring since the Earth began to exist and will forever to continue to occur until the day the Earth no longer exists. We did not start it, we are not affecting it, it will continue to happen with or without us existing.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #17
351buzz

your going to have to bump your compression upto 14:1 and run on methanol, the GREEN fuel. This is the only logical solution is it not? LOL.
351buzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #18
spider
Starter Motor

that is what i use to fill up the dummydore with and my eb93 fairmont when i get it
Old 17-03-2008, 12:58 AM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
that is what i use to fill up the dummydore with and my eb93 fairmont when i get it
Sooo, reading betwen the lines.... You're tossed between a Commode (that runs on methonal ?) and a Fairmont that will be running on the same?

If your really worried about climate change ride a bike. All you'll have to worry about then is EB drivers with methonal engines.

...C'mon you really drive a Magna with Padels. dont you
Old 17-03-2008, 01:17 AM   #20
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
I think EAs will take themselves off the road
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 07:59 AM   #21
desGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The answer to your Question #5. About "stopping," climate change... anybody who harps on about "stopping," it is giving you complete hogwash. "Climate change," is a natural phenomenon that has been occuring since the Earth began to exist and will forever to continue to occur until the day the Earth no longer exists. We did not start it, we are not affecting it, it will continue to happen with or without us existing.
Yes "Climate change is a natural phenomenon". Only problem is that what is happening now is NOT "natural". We, stupid humans, are increasing the CO2 levels way beyond what nature can cope with, thereby inducing what we now term "Global Warming" or "Climate Change". And current theories are that we have gone beyong a point where we can stop the runaway - be very fearful for the world your kids will have to grow up in.

Yes, there is a minority who believe that this is all rubbish, but they are becoming more and more a minority - the evidence is just too obvious. I am sure this will elicit a response, but I suggest you look it up for yourself - it IS coming!
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 08:18 AM   #22
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by desGT
Yes "Climate change is a natural phenomenon". Only problem is that what is happening now is NOT "natural". We, stupid humans, are increasing the CO2 levels way beyond what nature can cope with, thereby inducing what we now term "Global Warming" or "Climate Change". And current theories are that we have gone beyong a point where we can stop the runaway - be very fearful for the world your kids will have to grow up in.

Yes, there is a minority who believe that this is all rubbish, but they are becoming more and more a minority - the evidence is just too obvious. I am sure this will elicit a response, but I suggest you look it up for yourself - it IS coming!

Nothing is going to happen. Or are you cushy with Al Gore? "Global Bull****," is being milked by all capable to make as much money off it as possible. Nothing is going to happen, the world is not going to melt, trees aren't going to get angry at us and beat us to death etc. We'll be sitting here in 50, 100, 150, 200+ years time going "well, how about that global warming then?"

I'll have to dig it up, but there's this TIME article from a long time ago (can't remember if its 50s, 60s or 70s) that talks about the world cooling down and another ice age coming. Then there's an 80s or 90s rehash of the EXACT SAME article talking about the world melting instead. There's always going to be some kind of "crisis," to worry about.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #23
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo

Nothing is going to happen. Or are you cushy with Al Gore? "Global Bull****," is being milked by all capable to make as much money off it as possible. Nothing is going to happen, the world is not going to melt, trees aren't going to get angry at us and beat us to death etc. We'll be sitting here in 50, 100, 150, 200+ years time going "well, how about that global warming then?"

I'll have to dig it up, but there's this TIME article from a long time ago (can't remember if its 50s, 60s or 70s) that talks about the world cooling down and another ice age coming. Then there's an 80s or 90s rehash of the EXACT SAME article talking about the world melting instead. There's always going to be some kind of "crisis," to worry about.

You're right, and the trend now is that the global warming alarmists have lost impetus so events such as Earth Aid promoted by Al Gore were an ardent failure.
Even governments have stopped calling it global warming and have adopted the less alarmist name of "climate change", and antarctic deep core ice samples have shown CO2 concentrations to be much higher in the past.
What we are experiencing now is the last 2 years of a cycle of massive solar activity. The cycles last typically over 10 years yet we are starting to see a return to normal rainfall and will likely be in for a wet winter. This is not a new phenomenon, we have had droughts before and have only just gone past the great drought of 1908-1914 or whatever. As for the scientists, you have to acknowledge that Al Gore came from electoral defeat with a million dollars in his pocket to now being worth over 2 billion in 8 years thanks to his global warming marketing campaign. What is his motivation for conning people? You work it out.
Independent scientists have debunked all the theories, and the number of climatologists that disagree with those seeking fortune and notoriety are far outweighing anyone who thinks we did this. What the most annoying thing is, is that those purported experts have come from backgrounds like the arts and politics; not science like the people who have been doing it for years but espouse the "inconvenient truth" as rubbish.

Finally, those who might be tempted to saying that you have had bad weather, I can honestly tell you that the forces of thunderstorms has always been understated, as an aviator they are a big no no for us even when flying a 450 tonne aircraft. They are full of turbulence, wind shear, ice, positivley charged moisture and basically the most horrible weather known - they should never be underestimated although we can now predict a lot more and are used to their cycles. Because you may have had more storms this year I can conversely tell you this; you had less storms last year and the year before due to the litany of high pressures over Australia giving us drier weather, lower humidities and ergo less storms. Furthermore, the migration of warmer water off the east coast (El Nino) led to a lower temperature variance producing less humidity and ergo thunderstorms. The "Inconvenient Truth" is that we have witnessed in the last ten years is a repeat of what we have seen as recent as 60 years ago, so don't panic. If you really are interested study meteorology, and you will learn of cyclic weather patterns and how entertainers devoid of independent thought are cashing in on the "Global Swindle".

Quote: