Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-07-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Sounds like a scam but wheres the scam?????

Hi guys just after some thoughts on this one.

I work for an Ag machinery company and as one sales tool we advertise our second hand machinery on the web. A few days ago I received an e-mail enquiry on a seed drill from a guy in Queensland (where in Vic). The enquiry sort of read as you would expect with some of the usual questions but just didn't seem quite right. The guy seemed overly keen to buy it given the very brief details he already knew about it, the e mail was also from a yahoo account but did list a phone number. He also wanted to know if we had charges for payment by credit card

I tried the phone number but it rang out so I responded by e-mail answering his questions, he also asked for a no trade price in the first e-mail so I told him I would be prepared to negotiate but went no further than that.

He responded to that saying he would like to go ahead with the purchase but never made any more mention of a no trade price. He proposed a 25% deposit on his credit card and the remainder in cash on pick up and asked me what details of his I needed.

I replied saying it all sounded good but he would have to ring me to discuss details as I still thought he was suss as no one would buy a machine site un seen knowing so little about it. To my surprise he rang a few hours later and explained that he was a reverend from a church in Caloundra and the drill would be sent to a province in Africa where it would be used. He says he searched around in Australia and sent all the pictures to Africa where the said mine would suit their needs best. I told him to send through all his details and I would put the deposit through which I haven't received yet.

So if I receive his CC details and the deposit goes through I can't see any way he can defraud us in this situation. Even if the CC is no good nothing has changed hands yet so I can't really see how I can lose. I don't know this might be a genuine enquiry but it all just seems too easy, yet on the other hand with what he's proposing I can't really see any way he can defraud me.

JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
Shounak

CC payments/receipts are very easily reversed. Don't get sucked in.

It's too dodgy. Unless you get the cash in your hand, don't do it. The majority of bad phone purchases on eBay are with stolen credit cards. Notice how PayPal doesn't accept Indonesian credit cards and certain ones from Africa.

The cash will go through, but after the card it reported + the transaction flagged, your bank balance will go down.

Just remember, if it's too good to be true, it usually is.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

ask for a copy of the credit card and the persons drivers licence to be faxed through to confirm the CC isn't stolen

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
nommic
EL Monty Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
sent to a province in Africa where it would be used
Bet you he will ask if you can use Western Union or some sort of escrow service, next thing you know the machine will have disappeared and so will he.
Old 24-07-2008, 12:20 AM   #5
RATT
In a Pug..

I get these all the time from people asking to purchase 500 spark plugs and are prepared to put down a deposit etc.
However, if you have spoken to the bloke, maybe just confirm by calling the church itself?
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:30 AM   #6
Shounak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grum
ask for a copy of the credit card and the persons drivers licence to be faxed through to confirm the CC isn't stolen
How would anyone know what a real/fake photocopy of a South African D/L is?

At very best they could just scan a normal one, do some simple photo chopping and be done. Or they may even photocopy some other licence.

It's very hard to verify. Like I said before, unless he pays you with cash upfront, ie. Western Union or even SWIFT, don't even think about it.

Unless you love losing money.

--

Just saw that he says he's from Caloundra. The above still applies. Back in year 12 we had someone who could photochop a Vic drivers licence, with anything you wanted. He made fakes that could be used anywhere, very cheaply and easily.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Imo dealing with unknown people online is 'NO WAY' safe !. I used to use e-bay a few years back , got 70% of my goods , but the other 30% never showed and got ripped !.

I've given up on the whole online purchasing stuff over the last years or so. Even with full firewall , putting details in 128-bit security webpages buying stuff etc etc , eventualy my mastercard got done last year , luckily mastercard informed me of the huge purchase before passing it and cancled it and my card at my request. I just stick to the good old trading post and cash sales/buys these days.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
I get these all the time from people asking to purchase 500 spark plugs and are prepared to put down a deposit etc.
However, if you have spoken to the bloke, maybe just confirm by calling the church itself?
Yep I get these too, from somebody in Nygeruia haha!

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 01:48 AM   #9
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

I can't see the problem if he is picking it up and paying cash

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounak
How would anyone know what a real/fake photocopy of a South African D/L is?

At very best they could just scan a normal one, do some simple photo chopping and be done. Or they may even photocopy some other licence.

It's very hard to verify. Like I said before, unless he pays you with cash upfront, ie. Western Union or even SWIFT, don't even think about it.

Unless you love losing money.

--

Just saw that he says he's from Caloundra. The above still applies. Back in year 12 we had someone who could photochop a Vic drivers licence, with anything you wanted. He made fakes that could be used anywhere, very cheaply and easily.
I think i'll tell him i need a faxed copy of a drivers licence as well as his CC details, name, adress and an ABN and see how he responds to that. Initally he wanted the pay the whole thing on his CC until i told he there would be a 1% fee and he then decided on 25% deposit on the card and the rest in cash on pickup. Apparently our new CFO used to work for the police fraud squad so i might have a chat to him about it today.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
gz1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a look at this site: http://thescambaiter.com/
gz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #12
3vXT

When you say 'pickup' you mean someone actually coming to take delivery in person, not you sending it off somewhere? If its a scam, just after he makes the deposit he'll ask if you could save them some money, being a charity and all, by sending the thing direct to the starving children.

Call up the church and make sure he is who he says he is, tell him not to worry about the credit card deposit, agree on a pickup date, and tell him because its for a charity he can pay 100% cash on pickup or whatever you normally do.

He could just be inexperienced at buying things this way (or he could want you to think that )
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Scam

Be carefull. There is a high risk for moto payments, of which if you dont follow some guideliness you will not be covered.

90% of these scam are based on credit cards being skimmed so the customer wont be able to dispute the transaction until either they try to use it next or till they get the statement, so you may think you have the funds the transaction can be disputed upto 6 months

At the end of the day, get id, if your shipping to an address other than what you can locate on the client white pages yellow pages - be prepared to bend over and wear the cost.

If you want to shoot me a pm with your email I will send you a guide for moto payments
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #14
fantasyxr6t
Starter Motor

mate there was a machinery dealer in shepparton vic who recently had the same thing happen. Was a warning in the local paper about, it went something along the lines of the guy paying by credit card no problems then the machinery dealer paying the freight charge for the machinery to be shipped, turned out the credit card was false and dealer got burnt.
pretty vague description but definitely a scam.
fantasyxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #15
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

just tell him you've been scammed before so all purcahses must be cash in hand and the item must be picked up. No if's or but's.
Old 25-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #16
ms33
Ford Hoarder

This scam has happened before with me , they are definetly from another country , they have tried to do it to us about four times now, the latest time was about two months ago and i played around with him , its all to do with shipping. they act like a problem has occured and they need you to ship it for them instead of picking up the material. You then pay the shipping cost and they will reimburse you the costs after the material arrives. i thought it was going to be a bit more indepth but you would have to be pretty gullible to fall for this.
my topic the first time this happened from last year
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ighlight=ghana
ms33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post