Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Cool Ve Front Gaurds !! Food For Thought!

BIT OF food for thought here . did you know the front gaurds are plastic or carbon fibre. development is development. BUT. have a look at your fords bumper bars, some colours have a huge missmatch . the EYE IS used to seeing a missmatch on bumpers as lower panels reflect road surfaces and differant light etc etc. but how about a missmatched body panel , like a front door to front gaurd .
it is impossible to match paint for steel with paint on plastic for a number of reasons . one being plastic paint has to be more flexible than steel paint. another is plastic reflects BASE light differently to steel. etc etc .
now somethings spring to mind its hard enough to repair damage and match paint of a same substance to a panel. it will be interesting to see a VE after an accident repair.
most cars with plastic front gaurds have a purpose 2 tone . coluor scheme ///////??????????????????????????? :

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I'd be more worried with the back of the car as the rear quarter panel goes all the way up to the roof (like the A/B series) much more expensive to repair than before.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #3
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars have been using plastic parts for years. Got over it, its nothing major.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Plastic Gaurds aye.

I certainly wouldnt buy a car with plastic guards, yuck!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #5
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Yes and this is under consideration from me right now, As my mother was just driving my car home stopped at a red light and a car hit her straight up the rear end.
He said she had no brake lights:P They were stopped he ran into her stationary they bloody work just fine all 5 of them;).
Now there is plenty of scratches etc but I'm thinking more underneath that is there any bending under the bumpers??.

Sure front is better then rear, change guards etc but at the back it's more sensitive not as easy.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Sure front is better then rear, change guards etc but at the back it's more sensitive not as easy.
Sometimes the back isn't too bad Back end damage
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #7
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Plastic Gaurds aye.

I certainly wouldnt buy a car with plastic guards, yuck!

the tin can crap they use on fords aint any better
Old 03-08-2006, 07:35 PM   #8
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Cars have been using plastic parts for years. Got over it, its nothing major.
You'll find that a few of the cars in the Nissan range have plastic guards and the colour match is terrible with them. Makes the car look cheap.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 07:35 PM   #9
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

one of my mates has an Xtrail with plastic guards. Paint match is exact on the guards but the bumpers are different shades!!
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as you take care of your paint its nothing to worry about. Its only coz its on the holden your worried, if Ford used plastic guards people will think its the best thing since slided bread
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #11
NA XR6
!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
As long as you take care of your paint its nothing to worry about. Its only coz its on the holden your worried, if Ford used plastic guards people will think its the best thing since slided bread
Hahahahahhaaaahahahahahhahaha :
So so so so so TRUE
NA XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 07:57 AM   #12
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
it is impossible to match paint for steel with paint on plastic for a number of reasons
Rubbish...

My WRX has perfect matching body/bumpers, yet my SP20 bumpers have an absolutely terrible colour match.

The new Focus has the worst mismatching I've ever seen, the Territory's are not alot better.

So it can be done
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 08:19 AM   #13
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good mate has a 1999 F150 Pick Up with the "Flareside" tub and the sides of that are made of some sort of plastic/composite/etc material. The only way we found out was when a kid tried to stick a fridge magnet to the side of the tub and it didn't stick. There is absolutely no colour mismatch (This thing is three different colours too.)

We ended up checking all the panels and only the roof, doors, front gaurds and tailgate where metal. Yes, I know some steels are not magnetic, but when we looked under the different parts of the truck it was obvious that the parts were not metallic.

Remember that Henry Ford was one of the first to promote alternative materials in cars. In the 1930's he made panels out of Corn Starch and there's an image of him laying into one with a sledge hammer.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #14
geoffa1

There are two major reasons for the mismatch in color.
One is that the majority of painted plastic compents are painted by the supplier, and there can be multiple suppliers of paint - therefore variation. If the front fenders or bumpers were on the car when painted, they would match the rest of the car.
The other major reason, mainly with mica paints is that the pigment is actually very small flakes that can lie at different angles, which is why the car can look a different color depending what direction you look at it from. If the spray angle is different for different components, they will look a different color when side by side, even if the color match is perfect.
geoffa1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post