Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
mad cow
blue oval addict

Default what to buy?

hi there guys im looking for opinions to try and select a new car, especially from owners of the cars im down to 1, territory 2, kia grand carnival 3.8
3, explorer v8. all have to be newer than 04 model (or new) and to be 7 seater (4 kids will do that to ya) i have selected these for the following reasons.

territory, looks, serviceability, its a ford

kia, value, features, power

explorer, looks, size, v8, its a ford.

another limiting factor is that im a tight *** and dont want to spend more than $35,000, thanks and i look forward to your opinions.

mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #2
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

Well wat can i say its a ford site so im going to say for for the territory
It looks the best out of all 3
It will be use less fuel than the explorer
The explorers that come into work seem to be P.O.S
And if i was one of your kids id rather be seen in a Territory that a carnival!!
Shaggzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Go the territory, 35k will get you into an almost new TX or TS. Or if you want maybe a year or two old Ghia.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

35K would get you an ex-demo model territory.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I wouldnt trust a Carnival purely because of the older models reputation of being junk.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #6
Shaggzy
"BMX_datto"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
I wouldnt trust a Carnival purely because of the older models reputation of being junk.

And they look ugly as
Old 21-01-2008, 06:51 AM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$35k would get you into a nice used 7 seat Merc ML Diesel
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mazda CX-7 or CX-9?
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #9
Hally

Ford have been advertising a RWD TX with 7 eats for $35k driveaway. No brainer.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #10
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Territory/mazda/toyota
Are all good

Exploders are rubbish so are carnivals.

Hope this helps!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Territory would be my choice going on looks, styling and performance.
I had a drive of my brother's new one and was quite impressed overall.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #12
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I guess the question is what apart from carting the kids around will you be doing with it?

If you dont need the pulling power of the V8 steer to the Terri.
If you need the extra pulling capacity go the Explorer.
Dont bother with the Kia although they seem popular they are more of a sheila's shopping trolley.

If it were me and fuel costs weren't critical to the decision i would go the Explorer. My inlaws bought one (04 model for $30k) 18mths ago and haven't had a drama at all, they love it, it turns heads like no other 4wd and has the balls to back up it's bark.
It uses slightly more fuel than their VSIII Stato used but as it's not their daily it's not an issue.
They took their first caravan trip last Friday through the Clare Valley and it pulled their 18ft van like a train.
Heaps of people told them to buy a diesel Pajero etc.
They're glad they didn't listen!
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sister has a 2 year old Kia and a friend has one too. They both have kids and these cars just dont stand up to the rigours of harsh treatment.
They are both falling apart and broken bits everwhere.
Old 21-01-2008, 06:58 PM   #14
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Territory.Easy. Bit biased coz i work out the proving grounds, but would you really like owning up to driving a Kia???Seriously?
And Explorers are known as exploders around here,probably the few common engine probs in the older models.They look pretty tough though.
But Territory drives like a sedan,handles really well.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsMyUserName
Explorers are known as exploders around here,probably the few common engine probs in the older models.They look pretty tough though.
From all my research before my inlaws decided on the Explorer i found the 'Exploder" term applied to the V6 plastic intakes which can explode during a backfire or from the Firestone 15" tyre problem associated with the rollovers in U.S. delivered early models.
None of these apply to the V8 02 onward Aussie models.

The only issues i've heard of is rear diff noise.
Old 21-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #16
mad cow
blue oval addict

thanks alot guys it looks like it will be a territory, which was our original choice anyway. the kia was an outside chance due to features but i think the novelty would soon wear off (what was i thinking). the funny thing is that when i went to a car dealer (he was both holden and kia) he would not even consider showing me a craptiva as he said that the kia was a much better car, dosent that say a lot for the holden does it. i really liked the explorer as fuel dosent really worry me, but i showed the wife one today and she wasnt really keen on it. so now all we have to do is find one we really want. thanks for all the comments as its helped a lot to cement our decision on our purchase.
mad cow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #17
paul_r_d

I dont know if they are still made but what a Crysler Voyger? They are about the only people mover with remotely good looks, imo.

The territory is nice in looks, but I dont know anyone with one so I cant comment due to not knowing a great deal about them.

The missus
2003 Rav4 4 door Cruiser
paul_r_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 10:26 PM   #18
Taxman
Taxman

Bent 8 & WhatsMyUserName

To correct a misconception the term 'exploder' was given to the early explorers in the States because the Firestone tyres (all from one tyre manufacturing plant) that were originally put on them let go at highway speeds, several rolled and as a result there were some fatalities. As far as I am aware none of the explorers that came to Australia were ever shod with the Firestone Tyres. When it was proven that the tyres were responsible for the accidents and not the vehicle the resulting law suits almost sent Firestone to the wall. I currently own a 96 Explorer Limited - done heaps of miles with no problems a great ride.

Back to the thread, my neighbour has a Carnival and he has had me driving it to do some deliveries for him - not impressed - neither is he. A lot of expensive engine repairs and bad oil leaks. Had to top the oil up every day or risk running the motor dry. It was his wife's daily drive, she wants him to get rid of it, but he is concerned at the size of the loss he will incur. He would like to get his hands on my explorer.

I have not driven a Territory so I can not comment on their ability but they are a Ford and they have superseded the Explorer at least here in Australia.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #19
98EXP.SA
Blue Oval

Go the territory Mad Cow as its made in Ozz. I have an earlier Explorer that is very capable but would still have the Territory if l had 35K to spend.

Mates at work have Territory work cars and absolutley love them, but they are thankfull for company fuel cards (need to read between the lines on that one)

Kia who?, without the blue oval l would rather walk thanks.

Cheers
98EXP.SA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2008, 11:01 PM   #20
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
I guess the question is what apart from carting the kids around will you be doing with it?

If you dont need the pulling power of the V8 steer to the Terri.
If you need the extra pulling capacity go the Explorer.
Dont bother with the Kia although they seem popular they are more of a sheila's shopping trolley.

If it were me and fuel costs weren't critical to the decision i would go the Explorer. My inlaws bought one (04 model for $30k) 18mths ago and haven't had a drama at all, they love it, it turns heads like no other 4wd and has the balls to back up it's bark.
It uses slightly more fuel than their VSIII Stato used but as it's not their daily it's not an issue.
They took their first caravan trip last Friday through the Clare Valley and it pulled their 18ft van like a train.
Heaps of people told them to buy a diesel Pajero etc.
They're glad they didn't listen!
Has the balls to back up it's bark????? : The non turbo 6 has more power and torque than the 4.6L V8 in the exploder and it uses less fuel to do it.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman
Bent 8 & WhatsMyUserName

To correct a misconception the term 'exploder' was given to the early explorers in the States because the Firestone tyres (all from one tyre manufacturing plant) that were originally put on them let go at highway speeds, several rolled and as a result there were some fatalities. As far as I am aware none of the explorers that came to Australia were ever shod with the Firestone Tyres. When it was proven that the tyres were responsible for the accidents and not the vehicle the resulting law suits almost sent Firestone to the wall. I currently own a 96 Explorer Limited - done heaps of miles with no problems a great ride.
Do you read before you type?
Isn't this what i said, the Americam vehicles shod with Firestone tyres was the problem due to rollovers from exploding tyres?
I've also read on here of the intake problem with the V6's which some claim is the reason for the term exploder...
Getting your post count up hey?
Old 22-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
Has the balls to back up it's bark????? : The non turbo 6 has more power and torque than the 4.6L V8 in the exploder and it uses less fuel to do it.
Where did i compare the 4.6l to the Terri's 4.0l :

I was simply stating that compared to the other recommendations which my inlaws were given (Pajero, Navara etc.) the Explorer has plenty of punch and through its sports twin pipes it turns heads with a nice rumble.

Oh btw, the Terri doesn't have the same towing capacity as the Explorer and as they were buying to tow their van, the Explorer has plenty in reserve..
Old 22-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #23
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if its been mentioned but apparently the Carnivals were abit like the EA's/EB's in terms of head/head gasket failures, this came from a used car manager of Kia a few years back
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 07:47 AM   #24
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Where did i compare the 4.6l to the Terri's 4.0l :

I was simply stating that compared to the other recommendations which my inlaws were given (Pajero, Navara etc.) the Explorer has plenty of punch and through its sports twin pipes it turns heads with a nice rumble.

Oh btw, the Terri doesn't have the same towing capacity as the Explorer and as they were buying to tow their van, the Explorer has plenty in reserve..
the bit where you say "If you dont need the pulling power of the V8 steer to the Terri" would indicate a direct comparison. So what is the exploder rated to tow then, i would have thought it would be vey similar the the territorys 2300kg?

Last edited by JBomb3000; 22-01-2008 at 08:05 AM.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #25
Casablanca
carburettor

ok guys keep the narkiness down otherwise this thread will be closed.
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #26
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
the bit where you say "If you dont need the pulling power of the V8 steer to the Terri" would indicate a direct comparison. So what is the exploder rated to tow then, i would have thought it would be vey similar the the territorys 2300kg?
With the class 3/4 towing package they are rated to around 7140lb which i calculate to being just over 3000kg, well in excess of the Terri.

When they went looking for the van they were looking at 22-24ft vans. They were told by numerous van dealers that the Terri would pull the van but it wasn't rated high enough and could void any insurance if they were to have an accident.
This is why they were shown Navara's etc. as they have a 3000kg tow capacity, but they were put off by the need for a canopy as opposed to the Explorers wagon style and the fact the navara was too rigid in it's suspension.

So when i was talking about the 'pulling power' of the V8 it wasn't just hp figures that were important but also the vehicles ability to dictate to the van and not have the van doing the steering.

When my inlaws picked up the van the sales guy was blown away by how well the Explorers rear end held it's ground, zero sag, infact you couldn't tell it had been put on the draw bar.

If the OP doesn't need a heavy vehicle capable of pulling 3000+kg with plenty of power underfoot then the Terri will do the job, thats all i was saying and is exactly what i asked in the first line of my first post in this thread.

Ok mate!
Old 22-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #27
Falconunbelievable
FORD PARKING ONLY!

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but we are looking at buying a similar type of vehicle at the moment, so this is of interest.

I dont mind the look of the Mercedes ML's with the 7 seat option? But a bit concerned about whether parts would be highly priced and their reliability? Anyone on here had one? We dont want a territory as we currently have a BA Falcon - they both have the same interior more or less - we would rather have a change...

Other vehicles I like the look of are the Prado's and the 2005 onwards Nissan Pathfinder? Any comments on these or the ML's?
cheers

Member of
Chrome Cruisers Inc
Falconunbelievable is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post