Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #1
Sep 97 EL XR8
Miami power

Default 5.4 fuel efficiency

Hi everyone
I have had a ba xr8 for 6 months and I have had managed to get 11.2 travelling from adelaide to Melbourne, but am somewhat dismayed about the city driving round Melbourne. While I'm first to admit I don't drive it like a grandpa, but I also don't drive like racing driver. I suspect a bit over the average xr8 driver.

I have been told by quite a few different people that I should run BP ultimate in the xr8. Which I have been for 4 months- been through quite a few tanks.

What Im after is the realistic/acceptable/common place fuel efficiency for the 5.4 around Melb/city.

Lately my 80km to empty warning comes up at about the 250 to 260km makes. So a full tank will run out approx 330 to 340. Which seems excessive. For a comparison my el xr8 did between 350 to 400 on a tank.

Surely new cars should do better feel efficiency?

If BP ultimate is as good as every one seems, I would be travelling even less!

So what's every one doing? Should I be putting different fuel. Should there be a brick under the accelerator pedal (only joking)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sep 97 EL XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 5.4 fuel efficiency

Do you know what your L/100km is in city driving? It's not unheard of for 6 cylinder BAs to get 15L/100km in city driving - so imagine the 5.4 could be higher again.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #3
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

I would of thought below 10l/100km would of been achievable on the open road, 11.2 seems highish.
My AU 5L used to see low Nines with a car load of people and luggage in the boot.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:01 AM   #4
sbcb
BA Xr8

BP ultimate won't make much difference. They are tuned for 91.
What your old EL was getting is about what I've been getting from two BA Xr8s I've owned.
If your cars running correctly then it's all about driving style, but as a rule stop/start urban lifts boss v8s from bad economy to the words "fuel economy" being a completely alien language lol.
My Ford List - AU1 Futura, AU1 Cobra XR8, EB Gli Project Car, AU2 XR8 200kw, AU1 Fairmont Ghia VCT, AU1 V8 Tickford Fairmont Ghia, BF Xr6 6spd ZF, BA MkII XR8, AU3 Fairmont, SX Territory, AU3 Xr8 220kw, BA Xr8.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #5
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

I am averaging mid 17/100 in mine. All city no highway at all. Traffic lights are the problem. I drive 16km to work, but the longest stretch between lights is about 1.6km.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts now the kids swapped with below
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 now the wife’s swapped with above
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was driving my BA GT daily I think I was getting around 13.9. I thought wow it's similar figures to what my BA XT was getting.

As others have said the actual brand of fuel won't make a massive difference.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Sep 97 EL XR8
Miami power

With a 70l tank and 350km = 18.9 - so not that great.

Seems to be higher than everyone's else's.

The other query is if the car is tuned for 91, why does it ping when it's used.

Is it hard to get it tuned for 98.

So all the comments I've read about if you used higher octane fuel, you should get better fuel efficiency is incorrect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep 97 EL XR8 View Post
With a 70l tank and 350km = 18.9 - so not that great.

Seems to be higher than everyone's else's.

The other query is if the car is tuned for 91, why does it ping when it's used.

Is it hard to get it tuned for 98.

So all the comments I've read about if you used higher octane fuel, you should get better fuel efficiency is incorrect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Higher octanes give you a higher resistance to detonation - nothing more.
To give some indication, LPG is higher in octane than 98. E85, the same.
If you are buying it to get better fuel economy, don't.

My current fuel consumption on a 335 engine is 12.7/100 or ~500km a tank.
Unless with mates then 150km/tank.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2017, 05:56 PM   #9
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

I've seen 19l/100 on my BFGT around town....
Heavy cars , stop go heavy traffic and big capacity engine is always gonna end in fuel economy tears. Mine is tuned to 98

On the highway at a steady 90klmh I see @ 7l/100.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #10
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
To give some indication, LPG is higher in octane than 98. E85, the same.
If you are buying it to get better fuel economy, don't.

My current fuel consumption on a 335 engine is 12.7/100 or ~500km a tank.
Unless with mates then 150km/tank.
Correct. The higher octane rating means you can run a higher compression ratio without it detonating, you can advance the timing more as well.

Increased fuel consumption really can come down to driving style as well, the car learns your driving style/habit and adjusts accordingly, I haven't tried myself but if you disconnect the battery for x amount of hours it resets the ECU memory.

But the most common cause can be air filter, o2 sensors, spark plugs. When did you check these last? Do you know when your spark plugs were last changed? Pull the o2 sensors out and take a look at the carbon deposits on them, how bad are they?
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #11
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Correct.
but higher resistance to detonation = more advance on the timing when tuning, which equals better bang, or as engineers would put it, better BMEP.
Didn't matter much in the days of carby, (other then levels of protection) it does now..

Naturally you get to a point where you can't get any more air in, so you need boost ^^ see what I did there

Fuel economy is a function of throttle position (foot)
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #12
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Late model cars are factory tuned in many cases to drop power at cruise speeds and load to achieve better fuel economy

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #13
lamborghinifan

My 6l caprice is 19-23l 100, all low speed city, my old 5.4 ute was similar, my previous 6l caprice was similar, my turbo terry was also similar. Where I live an average round trip is no more than 5k, all 60kph.... so yes it's not far fetched if you drive in the right conditions.
But they all dropped to 10 ish on a proper highway run, except the turbo terry which never really got below 13l/100
Hope that helps. And no, my wife and I aren't really leadfoots, just general driving.
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #14
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

My BA XR8 long term average was 19.8 L/100 @ 30km/h average speed.
My FG GT was 18.6 @ 32km/h.
My FGX XR8 is 17.8 @ 38km/h.
All 3 cars are auto, predominantly driven in Sydney Traffic, with the odd run North up the coast, or west out to Lithgow.

My BA got better economy and performance on 95 Octane fuel. The BA V8's don't have knock sensors so you get zero benefit in using 98 over 95. Best performance was using Caltex I recall.

I never saw any better than 11-12 L/100 on the freeway in the BA, vs. my FG which would get down to 9.5. The FGX is about 10.5. The BA being a 4 speed would sit at 2200 RPM @ 110km/h, vs 1800 RPM in the 6 speeds. The supercharged 5.0 motor uses more fuel than the NA 5.4 at cruising speed.

Don't forget the 4 speed is also less efficient than the 6 speeds which also affects economy, plus the BA tune is not as refined as the BF onwards for fuel efficiency.

Similar to you, my fuel light would come on at about 260 - 270 in my BA. I probably drove in a similar manner to most enthusiasts, normal at some times, and letting it sing at other times.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep 97 EL XR8 View Post
Hi everyone
I have had a ba xr8 for 6 months and I have had managed to get 11.2 travelling from adelaide to Melbourne, but am somewhat dismayed about the city driving round Melbourne. While I'm first to admit I don't drive it like a grandpa, but I also don't drive like racing driver. I suspect a bit over the average xr8 driver.

I have been told by quite a few different people that I should run BP ultimate in the xr8. Which I have been for 4 months- been through quite a few tanks.

What Im after is the realistic/acceptable/common place fuel efficiency for the 5.4 around Melb/city.

Lately my 80km to empty warning comes up at about the 250 to 260km makes. So a full tank will run out approx 330 to 340. Which seems excessive. For a comparison my el xr8 did between 350 to 400 on a tank.

Surely new cars should do better feel efficiency?

If BP ultimate is as good as every one seems, I would be travelling even less!

So what's every one doing? Should I be putting different fuel. Should there be a brick under the accelerator pedal (only joking)

MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2017, 12:15 AM   #15
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
I've seen 19l/100 on my BFGT around town....
Heavy cars , stop go heavy traffic and big capacity engine is always gonna end in fuel economy tears. Mine is tuned to 98

On the highway at a steady 90klmh I see @ 7l/100.

7l/100km, is this down hill with a tail wind?!?
None of my falcons have achieved anywhere near that and I've owned close to 20. In fact 7.0 is not much worse than my old BMW 3 series diesel which was 6-6.2 l/100km highway.
My current AU wagon will return 7.8 highway which is good and one of the most economic Falcons I've had.
My FG Xr8 ute is consistently 10.5-11 highway.
My old BA 5.4 3V Fairlane would return 9-9.5 highway.

I've always thought city figures are pointless to look at. Too many factors at play, how it's driven, the terrain, stop go etc. it's not a race to the speed limit, try and keep a decent following distance and anticipate traffic lights, should see a reduction in consumption.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2017, 07:13 AM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

From the 6-cyl mid-6's "average" is easily achievable.
The above is an instant consumption graph though .... I can make my FG show 0.0L/100km on decel ... so it's not hard to show a low instant figure.

Probably harder on one of the older 5.4's though.

If i had a V8 though ... I wouldn't be worrying about fuel consumption though ... I'd be more interested in the sound at the time.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2017, 08:27 AM   #17
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
From the 6-cyl mid-6's "average" is easily achievable.
The above is an instant consumption graph though .... I can make my FG show 0.0L/100km on decel ... so it's not hard to show a low instant figure.

Probably harder on one of the older 5.4's though.

If i had a V8 though ... I wouldn't be worrying about fuel consumption though ... I'd be more interested in the sound at the time.
Yes, it's instant consumption.
It was flat highway , not downhill and no tailwind. Kept speed at steady 90 in 6th gear. Was just showing how in the right conditions without a heavy right foot that "economy" is possible with these cars on long stretches if you're that way inclined.....

My overall average sits @ 16/100

Lowest average I've seen is @ 14/100 with good highway and less suburban stop start.
Highest I've seen is 23/100..... no highway. Stop start going to work over a couple of weeks in heavy traffic. Thought I had a fuel leak somewhere

Regardless, I reckon I've spent more time trying to get it to suck more petrol and make more power. Eventually it will get a YT whipple anyways.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 09-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #18
Sep 97 EL XR8
Miami power

Thanks for all the info, it appears the xr8 is about average around town in comparison with xr8 - good info M&M and every one else.
I will take all your advice and not worry about BP ultimate or any 98. I will just stick to 95.

But another query should one type of fuel company be used for better performance/ fuel efficiency? Or cane you out whatever's available at the time - 95 off course?

Old 09-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #19
Hardtopxb
Once PHASED.

I have just come back from a trip from Townsville Far nth qld to Moruya south coast nsw, and return. Did city driving, country driving, Expressway etc. 50klm to 110 klm etc. I averaged 13.4/100 klm. using 95 only. I thought this was not bad. I am not a granny driver..
Old 09-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #20
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a BA XR8 4spd, tuned to 98ron. Normal highway driving would net me about 13.5 - 14 ltrs per 100. Not babying though just good driving. Once on the Hume Hwy from Canberra to Newcasle using cruise control, so barely touching accelerator, i managed to get 10 ltrs per 100. Was just testing to see if it could be done.. was a long drive though.

Around town I get 17-18ltrs, which seems to be on average with some others here. Have 4.11 gears though which probs makes it use a bit more, but worth it.
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 07:57 AM   #21
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Certainly was/is a slap in the face when the 5.4 came in. More power for sure but not exactly any more efficient.

Not sure of the weight differences but the BA was porkier too...maybe some diff gears might help off the line to you dont need to dig so deep into the throttle?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #22
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a BA GT 5sp with 4.11 diff, i get 11 on the freeway and 13-17 on avg around town depending on where i go that month
best i have got was 8 but that was 90km/h on a flat road for an hour but 11 is easy to maintain on most highway/freeway runs
my adventra gets 10 on the freeway and up to 25 around town
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #23
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I bet those 4.11 diff gears make a big difference ebv8. Even though the higher rpms are probably hampering your highway fuel economy, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually helped around town..?
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2017, 03:11 PM   #24
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Manual FG XR8, filled it up last night (United E10) and drove it to work this morning, just took this pic -

[IMG][/IMG]

I haven't reset the trip computer since I bought the car new in 2009. Driving consists mostly peak traffic up/down Perth's Mitchell Fwy 3 days/week.

Best/most reliable car i've ever owned, love the thing and can't image giving her up.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #25
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A 5.4 efficient?? Your kidding me.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #26
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

People buy V8's AND want fuel efficiency??? That's the last thing I expect when I buy a V8!!!
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #27
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In a the old days you used to buy a V8 for efficiency. My dad and grandfather used to order their Fairlanes with V8s, as the 'engines worked less'.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #28
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
A 5.4 efficient?? Your kidding me.
Well as far as V8's go it ain't that bad.
Considering the E series 5.0 ran similar consumption average ( @15l/100 ) and the E series was some 200kg lighter and ran 100 rwkw less.

Then there's the old Skool 4.9 and 5.8 motors , particularly in the CD and XE. Having owned one I reckon it ran 30l/100 on a bad day....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2017, 12:00 PM   #29
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
7l/100km, is this down hill with a tail wind?!?
None of my falcons have achieved anywhere near that and I've owned close to 20. In fact 7.0 is not much worse than my old BMW 3 series diesel which was 6-6.2 l/100km highway.
My EcoBoost Falcon did! 6.41 on the highway. 60 litres got me 950 kms.

The tanks on these are only 68 litres and I never filled the XR8 more than 64 litres ever! Average was around 60 litres.

On topic, my BA XR8 was pretty good whilst it was a road car. Used to sit around 15-16/100 around town and got to high 10's on the highway. I was happy with that given the extra power.

I put some cams into mine and got it tuned as well which did improve it as I found myself not having to give it as much to get out of the mid range dead spot. Improved fractionally, low 10's/high 9's on the highway and closer to 14-15's around town.

how many kms on the BA. I think 330-340 a tank is a bit low. I used to get around 400 around town and 670 was the best on the highway (hume, nice steady 110).

Though, $2000 buys a lot of fuel for very little fuel savings!
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #30
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

We had the 5.4 220 and that was not at all light on fuel. Best I ever saw was 11L/100km on the trip from Newcastle to Adelaide and similarly from Newcastle to Brisbane more often it was 12s, whereas the Typhoon gets 8L/100km on pretty much every freeway every time. Around town the consumption was much more line ball V8 was about 15-16, and the F6 14-17. But I'm guessing that has more to do with my love of the rush you get from the turbo Vs my wife plodding along on her rumbling V8.

What gearbox have you got in the XR8? That'll surely make a bit of difference too. Assuming you have the 4 speed, the tall first gear will hurt more in town than you realise.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: