Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default MPH vs RWKW

Well, as I’ve never had my car on a dyno or raced it at the track I’m not really sure how these relate. I keep hearing everyone refer to ¼ mile MPH as a measure of real RWKW but I don’t really understand how it works.

I guess my question is how do you work out RWKW from MPH and does it actually always tell the truth? I would have thought that a dyno would be a more accurate way to tell but everyone always seems to ignore the dyno numbers and look at MPH from the drag times.

Also, is it possible to then look at MPH and work out RWKW?

So, for me, I have a dead stock AU3 XR6 VCT, what MPH should it run if I have 110RWKW? What about if I had 120, or 140 or 160? Is there a set formula?

Sorry, but its just something that has had me wondering......

clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 09:46 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

um , ill start it off , although im sure there is more to add ;) -- roughtlly .. here goes ..

RWKW measured on the dyno is a pretty acurate measurement of the power to driveline/trough the diff to the rear wheels etc etc ... but an acurate sorta measure at that for basing all cars on against each other performance wise .... ( every car is tested under the same conditons roughly - with the dyno )

On the track ... a 1/4 mile stip ... you have things like weather ( heat /cold , rain etc etc ) - traction , weight of the driver , heaps of conditions effecting the overall performance of the car ... eg - whats the point of having heaps of rwkw if u cant keep traction and apply that power to increase your times ... i think thats sorta on the track of the questin u asked ..lol

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #3
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Have a go and work out your cars baseline!
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair enough, but is there any real way to measure someones RWKW from their MPH over the 1/4 Mile? The reason I ask is my mate always says his car is more powerful than the car he races based on his higher MPH....
Old 18-05-2006, 09:57 PM   #5
pks54
Ford Power To The People

check this out

http://www.angelfire.com/rpg/dangrou...horsecalc.html
pks54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 09:59 PM   #6
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
Fair enough, but is there any real way to measure someones RWKW from their MPH over the 1/4 Mile? The reason I ask is my mate always says his car is more powerful than the car he races based on his higher MPH....
and if his car is of similar weight he is right

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The simple answer is:

the dyno will test a cars power to the wheels,

the 1/4 mile will test how fast the engine can push the car, driver, and any other weight in the quickest time to the finish.

Some cars have a better take off then others. A dyno shouldn't really be used as a performance comparison (although it does give you some idea on where your car stands to others), but rather is used for tuning. You can see what mods or how you tune your car makes more power, or less....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Interesting.. the calc isn’t actually too far off on my car. I keyed in some numbers based on my car and known MPH/RWKW and its not far off. So I extended it out to see what the results would be.
Car weight:

3440 pounds (1560kg) – Standard AU weight

92mph = 129rwkw approx (very similar to what I’ve run in the past)
93mph = 133.5rwkw
94mph = 138rwkw

etc etc. Not sure how accurate it is now though..

150rwkw will get you around 97mph
160rwkw will get you around 99mph

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #9
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
The TRAP speed is always a good indicator of the potential amount of HP a car will have. The 1/4 mile time is a bit trickier as there are so many variables. A less powerful car although identical in weight may get a better 1/4 mile time because it hooks up better, or the driver can just drive it better. Just look at peoples 60" times and you'll see what I mean. Some people have major difficulties in hooking up........ or they up shift at the wrong time etc etc.

If I had to choose, I'd say there would be better accuracy in gauging HP from the trap speed ( MPH ) than on the actual 1/4 time.....

My 2C

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #10
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

going to the track is a good indicator of how your car is goin .but its not the be all end all ,i have found personaly that your times can vary .given the air temps and especialy the RA readings.if you compare simalar cars ,say one runs in melbourne and one runs at townsville there would be at least a 1sec difference in the times threy run.
the trick is to go to the track and get a couple of base runs .do your mods than take it back and run it in similar conditions .then compare the difference.
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 11:27 PM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
going to the track is a good indicator of how your car is goin .but its not the be all end all ,i have found personaly that your times can vary .given the air temps and especialy the RA readings.if you compare simalar cars ,say one runs in melbourne and one runs at townsville there would be at least a 1sec difference in the times threy run.
the trick is to go to the track and get a couple of base runs .do your mods than take it back and run it in similar conditions .then compare the difference.
I dont think he's talking about the ET's, as you said, too many variables. The MPH on the other hand is pretty consistant, I am pretty sure thats what he's referring to.

Old 18-05-2006, 11:51 PM   #12
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it goes for mph too .with my car i have picked up 1and a 1/2 mph in the last 3 months , without doing anything .in feb out at willowbank xr6 turbos were only getting 90/91 mph now we all know these cars hammer .
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 09:48 AM   #13
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The TS MPH is a very good indicator of the power to weight of a car.

If you know the race weight you can fairly accurately predict the rwkw.

It is of course actually a good measure of the average power in the useable rev range on the strip not actually the peak that you get on a dyno so a better indicator of overall performance.

TS will vary from day to day as its affected by temp altitude pressure etc just like a dyno but without correction factors in the software obviously.

My best TS in the wagon is 91.8mph and it weighed in at 1650Kg at WSID scrutineering so Caspers numbers are pretty well on the ball as i average just a bit over 90mph mostly.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
The TS MPH is a very good indicator of the power to weight of a car.

If you know the race weight you can fairly accurately predict the rwkw.

It is of course actually a good measure of the average power in the useable rev range on the strip not actually the peak that you get on a dyno so a better indicator of overall performance.

TS will vary from day to day as its affected by temp altitude pressure etc just like a dyno but without correction factors in the software obviously.

My best TS in the wagon is 91.8mph and it weighed in at 1650Kg at WSID scrutineering so Caspers numbers are pretty well on the ball as i average just a bit over 90mph mostly.
In a few weeks when I get the car up and running again I'll take it to the track and test the theory again. It should run around the 93-93.5 mph mark based on rwkw. Will be interesting to see how close I get.

Jut on another comparison. A BA ute with more weight and around 190rwkw runs around 99-100mph. Based on weight this would fall into the right mph/rwkw comparison too.

Old 19-05-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Jut on another comparison. A BA ute with more weight and around 190rwkw runs around 99-100mph. Based on weight this would fall into the right mph/rwkw comparison too.
Weight is a big factor most people ignore (except for unopened commodore drag racers)

Next time you see some WRX with the big tailpipe driving round with a car full of people take him on and see what happens!

You will find it bogs down real bad off boost.

Small turbo cars suffer more than V8's but 100kg is like 10rwkw!
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #16
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I agree. The formula only works when correct weight is applied (within reason).

Thats why it takes a BA ute 190rwkw to get 100mph and an AU sedan only about 165-170rwkw to get the same TS.

Old 19-05-2006, 02:57 PM   #17
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Which car has the standard weight of 1560kgs?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 03:21 PM   #18
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Which car has the standard weight of 1560kgs?
Official Ford factory figure for an AU I6. Give or take a 10 or 20kgs. I've never weighed my car but using that calculation it actually worked out reasonably close.

Old 19-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #19
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

The calc is very close.

TS - 98.79
lbs - 3968
ET - 14.15886

This gives me 332HP (248kw)
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #20
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

For those who have commented about different MPH values for winter vs summer etc, and so how its not an accurate measurement, well it is an accurate measurement - in summer if you have a lower MPH because of the heat - your engine is making less power in reality - anything like a dyno that uses correction factors to adjust for variations is giving theoretical power.

Engines do make more power in winter than summer and so have higher MPH values - I know most people know that but its clear that by reading this thread some people are a little confused.

Dan.

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #21
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Axeman82 held aloft his mighty sword and said <>:

Nyar!
Old 19-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #22
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

Quote:
Axeman82 held aloft his mighty sword and said <>:

Nyar!
Too much D&D for you?

/me rolls a double one, his intelligence score gets a -10 penalty for the next two posts...

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #23
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado
The calc is very close.

TS - 98.79
lbs - 3968
ET - 14.15886

Pretty close as that calculator works out engine KW. I then took the "Cheats" conversion method of engine KW = rwHP (yes I know its not accruate) and then converted that to RWKW. That equals about 185rwkw which, on the 40 degree day you ran is probably pretty accruate I think.

Last edited by Casper; 19-05-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Old 19-05-2006, 11:37 PM   #24
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado
The calc is very close.

TS - 98.79
lbs - 3968
ET - 14.15886

lol, just for fun I just did the same calc on Grunters TS from the timeslip database.

I says 344hp(256kw) so converting that using the old hp to kw trick thats about 190rwk. Then I reasiled that the database also holds the owners rwhp amount. In this case Grunter had actually put in 260rwhp as his amount.

The calculator and conversion from fwkw to rwhp is pretty much spot on (4hp different). I'm suprised actually, usually the converters are way off.

Old 19-05-2006, 11:41 PM   #25
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

hhaha, sorry to post again but this conversion calc is fun. I just did it again on my car using the exact mph of 93.54 and a weight of 3440lb's. It came up with 244hp(engine). So then I punched in 244hp and 3440lb into the converter below for ET and it came back with 14.959seconds. The ACTUAL time was 15.024. The total difference, 0.065 of a second. I'm impressed!

Old 20-05-2006, 01:20 AM   #26
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is pretty damn accurate I'd say ;)