Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Default You poor Victorians!

Hi all...

My girlfriend has just came back from a return drive to Melbourne - from Perth.

It was a good drive she reckons, until we received a speed camera fine yesterday.

The fine is $146.00 for doing 106km in a 100km zone. It was on Dadswells Bridge.

I cant believe the penalty for this! In W.A a patrol car will just flash it lights if you are over the limit by under 10km/h. And its only a $50 fine if done by a camera.

I'm surprised that you Victorians even have a licence at all with such harsh penalties! What would the fine be if she was doing over the 10km's???

A speed measuring device has a tolerance of -/+ 3km, according to Australian tests Ive read on the net. Add this 3km/h figure difference to a speedometer which could be out at least 4km/h and your done for speeding!

I cant believe you Victorians are even still on the road!!! - Poor Buggers.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:09 AM   #2
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee you guys are a couple hours slow over there... your a couple decades!!

Since when were fines ever that low?
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep we are by far the nanny state, the problem is they are "cotton wooling" everyone, they think for us, it won't be long before we may as well not leave the house and just stay in.
Revenue raising at its finest. and of course they will keep telling us that its cutting down the road toll, what because someone is a few KM's over, does the state government think we are all that stupid?
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the penalties have gone up here in WA. It's now $75 under 10km/h over. 10km/h+ is $150 and 2 points. 20km/h is $300 and 3 points. Thats as far as I can remember. I lost 6 points in 2 weeks when I was working in Boddington. Not hooning, just cruising along and not realising I was speeding that much.
Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Gee you guys are a couple hours slow over there... your a couple decades!!

Since when were fines ever that low?
Must be something in the Cerveza there...

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

This is why I drove very slowly in vic.. Copped abuse alot!!! But no fines! Thank god.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #7
barra265t
Banned

A speed camera on a bridge? Where's Dadswell's Bridge?
barra265t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:53 AM   #8
IH8HSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFXR65spd
I think the penalties have gone up here in WA. It's now $75 under 10km/h over. 10km/h+ is $150 and 2 points. 20km/h is $300 and 3 points. Thats as far as I can remember. I lost 6 points in 2 weeks when I was working in Boddington. Not hooning, just cruising along and not realising I was speeding that much.
No mate... The $50 fine travelling no more then 10km over the speed limit still stands in W.A.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
awoo87
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra265t
By the big koala on the great western highway.
awoo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #10
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's a very small town (blink & you miss it) between Stawell & Horsham, a few bends and notorious for truck roll overs.
That whole section between Beafort & Hosham is VERY well policed.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
VICFPV

Thumbs down

Yep totally agree.
I hate driving in Vic as there is just too many things to lookout for.
I am never going to drive there again.
Last driving trip there was awful and had to drive very slow and cop abuse as well.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #12
Tray
......Car Crazy......

Im in vic, got cought doin 10k's over, 3 demerit points and $234 fine, and us p platers only get 5 points. So basicly I lost 60% of my license doin 10k's over the limit
WANTED - BF MK2.5 XR6 Seduce - PM me
RIP SHYXR
Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tray
Im in vic, got cought doin 10k's over, 3 demerit points and $234 fine, and us p platers only get 5 points. So basicly I lost 60% of my license doin 10k's over the limit
I know how you feel mate.

I'm a P plater too and a couple of weeks ago I got hit by a speed camera doing 65km/h in a 60 zone. Then later that day going down the same road got hit by it again doing 67km/h.

Added up to over $300 in fines and a demerit point for each one.

What annoys me the most is I see people do over 100km/h on this road, day in and day out.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Welcome to Victoria.....Seriously Id say most of us VICS are well used to the camera's here now they have been around along time, the good news is it makes us closer as we all warn each other of speed camera positions and when in Country Victoria they stand out because they are parked in the middle of nowhere. They had an interesting story on the TV not long ago regarding the amount of drivers on the verge of loosing their licences because of too many points, and our Freeways fantastic !!!! variable speed zones so one minute they are showing 100km then bang 90km and 30m up the road a speed camera, gota love the Brumby Government.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #15
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The key is to use your GPS to it's full advantage, drive off your cruise control & be observant of what's around (late model cars on side of Hwy= alarm bells).
I have driven over 50.000km a year (work related) for the past three and have'nt been pulled over let alone lost any points.
Been through a few random breath tests in the country though.

#edit, I lied.
Got done by a speed camera on the way to Geelong for AFD 2 years ago.
105 in 100 zone (four lanes & no other car around) driving a 34 year old car in MPH!. I'm a criminal & a hoon.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8HSV
Hi all...

My girlfriend has just came back from a return drive to Melbourne - from Perth.

It was a good drive she reckons, until we received a speed camera fine yesterday.

The fine is $146.00 for doing 106km in a 100km zone. It was on Dadswells Bridge.

I cant believe the penalty for this! In W.A a patrol car will just flash it lights if you are over the limit by under 10km/h. And its only a $50 fine if done by a camera.

I'm surprised that you Victorians even have a licence at all with such harsh penalties! What would the fine be if she was doing over the 10km's???

A speed measuring device has a tolerance of -/+ 3km, according to Australian tests Ive read on the net. Add this 3km/h figure difference to a speedometer which could be out at least 4km/h and your done for speeding!

I cant believe you Victorians are even still on the road!!! - Poor Buggers.
If she has a good recent driving record, you can write in and ask for the fine to be withdrawn; usually if you have had no fines in the last 2 or 3 years, they will withdraw this low level fine.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:24 AM   #17
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

I think you girlfirend got of lightly, she is a menace to society, travelling at those sorts of speeds she could have killed the entire town, lost control and wiped out an entire town....or she could have been court up in the biggest money grab ever to hit any state in Victoria...either way sorry mate...

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #18
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

as LTDterri said, most victorians are used to it by now, simple fact is if you dont want a speeding fine then dont speed. this is just a thread made to have a whinge cos your gf got a fine, she was speeding, deal with it. oh and just so you know, my dad recently got a speeding fine for doing less than 10k's over, $158.60. he lives in brisbane. so there are worse off places.

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 AM   #19
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
#edit, I lied.
Got done by a speed camera on the way to Geelong for AFD 2 years ago.
105 in 100 zone (four lanes & no other car around) driving a 34 year old car in MPH!. I'm a criminal & a hoon.
I'd imagine that your speedo wouldn't be as accurate as in some of today's cars either?

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #20
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its a very little place around 150k's from Ballarat towards Horsham. All thats there is the Big Koala a motel and a caravan park.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolz
Its a very little place around 150k's from Ballarat towards Horsham. All thats there is the Big Koala a motel and a caravan park.

And a speed camera.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #22
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
It's a very small town (blink & you miss it) between Stawell & Horsham, a few bends and notorious for truck roll overs.
That whole section between Beafort & Hosham is VERY well policed.
They also police the over taking lanes after Ballarat..... Im originally from Stawell and going home to Melbourne seen several times 4 to 5 police cars patrolling the overataking lanes. I got pinged by a mobile TOG once just after i pulled out to over take near lake Burrumbeet (near Ballarat)
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #23
IH8HSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADSKY
as LTDterri said, most victorians are used to it by now, simple fact is if you dont want a speeding fine then dont speed. this is just a thread made to have a whinge cos your gf got a fine, she was speeding, deal with it. oh and just so you know, my dad recently got a speeding fine for doing less than 10k's over, $158.60. he lives in brisbane. so there are worse off places.
I'm not having a whinge mate.

I was just trying to point out how harsh the penalties are over there compared to W.A.

And how easy it would be to get a fine if the speed measuring device was out by a few kilometers and also the speedometer.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #24
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know a bloke who came to Vic for work from WA, in a 1 week period he accummulated sufficient loss of points to lose his license twice over. All on the Princess Freeway between Melbourne and Geelong.

He was warned but didn't think that the fixed cameras were set so low.

It's a money raising venture that the Vic Government is quite good at. Absolutely does nothing to save lives, just adds $300 odd million into the stae coffers each year...
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #25
LTDHO
The one and only

IH8HSV - where the hell have you been mate? have a look at every thread in AFF regarding 'speed cameras'.

we can only speed up to 3klm over without copping a fine.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #26
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I love driving interstate, but I never drive to Victoria its a real joke over there. Whats funnier is when Victorians tell me 'if you dont want a speeding ticket, dont speed'...Umm ok. Stupidly harsh speeding laws coupled with effective government anti-speeding TV ads (Victorians watch a lot of TV!) means that most of them cop it sweet.

I guess they would spend more time staring at their speedo rather than the road ahead, probably why they never notice that they are sitting in the right lane.

In the end they get the government they deserve....
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #27
john3136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Whats funnier is when Victorians tell me 'if you dont want a speeding ticket, dont speed'...Umm ok.
I think most Victorians (myself included) would prefer to give you a 10 minute rant on stupid speed cameras, stupid revenue raising tricks.
I don;t understand how the police can just introduce all this stuff when the the public don't want it.
Don't they work for us?
john3136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #28
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i belive local councils install the fixed cameras not the police

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

82XD393.3v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #29
JAYMZ
My Deception

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
This is why I drove very slowly in vic.. Copped abuse alot!!! But no fines! Thank god.

Now i know why i see interstate platted cars going slow. I thought they didn't know where they were going, ie looking for the right street.

Now i understand.
JAYMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #30
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3136
I think most Victorians (myself included) would prefer to give you a 10 minute rant on stupid speed cameras, stupid revenue raising tricks.
I don;t understand how the police can just introduce all this stuff when the the public don't want it.
Don't they work for us?

Governments wont make a change unless it may cost them a seat/election. It seems everyone complains but we do nothing about it.