Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-12-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Default Wishful thinking - My next Ford

Ok, this is my "wish" for 2008 and I'd like to get some input and comments from people on here who may own such vehicles.

My lease will end in mid 2009, so I'm thinking that I may change my car at the end of 2008.

My criteria is ;

- car must be second hand with less than 60,000 kms
- would prefer new car warranty left on it
- budget,?? Less than $40k?
- Auto ZF 6 speed
- Leather

My thoughts are that once the Orion comes out in April/May, that the prices of BF's will drop dramatically. So I'm hoping that I can pick up a second hand BF at the end of 2008 for a good price.

So what do peoeple think of the following options;

- XR6 Turbo. But it would have to be optioned up to have leather
- XR8, but optioned up to have the leather
- Typhoon
- GT or GT-P

From this list it is either a turbo or an '8'. I'd welcome comments on driveability, fuel consumption, reliabiltiy, and finally cost.

Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

If by the time your change falls due and you can get your hands on a reasonable Typhoon that fits the criteria I would definitely go for one of them!
Old 31-12-2007, 03:37 PM   #3
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

From your list and the fact that you did mention second hand, and the depreciation of BFs post Orion.
I think I would suggest that in a years time you should be able to get an XR6 T or XR8 optioned with ZF and Leather, Probably best to go for a 2007 BFII with maybe under 35,000. You could probably get either of those for about $33,000 easily. Maybe if you are a good hagler and are lucky to get a good dealer, a smidgen under $31,000. That is with the balance of new car warranty. I don't know this for sure, this is my estimate going on current prices and current depreciation rates including a depreciation drop with Orion release.

That said, I would go for the XR8 on reliablilty, I have rarely heard of many reliability problems associated with the Ford 5.4L V8. The 4.0L I6 on the other hand is known for SOME problems.

But on P
Old 31-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #4
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

EDIT:-OOPPSIE bad post :

Last edited by XR6_190; 31-12-2007 at 03:51 PM.
XR6_190 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 03:48 PM   #5
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

From your list and the fact that you did mention second hand, and the depreciation of BFs post Orion. this is what I thought I would put together for you. Don't take it as gospel, more as an educated guess.

I think I would suggest that in a years time you should be able to get an XR6 T or XR8 optioned with ZF and Leather, Probably best to go for a 2007 BFII with maybe under 35,000KM. You could probably get either of those for about $33,000 easily. Maybe if you are a good hagler and are lucky to get a good dealer, a smidgen under $31,000. That is with the balance of new car warranty. I don't know this for sure, this is my estimate going on current prices and current depreciation rates including a depreciation drop with Orion release. Of course those prices go down a bit lower when you buy Privately

That said, I would go for the XR8 on reliablilty, I have rarely heard of many reliability problems associated with the Ford 5.4L V8. The 4.0L I6 on the other hand is known for SOME problems.

But on Performance I would go for the XR6 Turbo. The Turbo would also be easier to modify if your into that kind of thing.

Lastly Insurance costs. You didn't mention this at the start of the thread, but I thought I would mention it anyway. I am only 21, and when I went to insure my BF XR6 (actually a week before my 21st birthday and whilst I was still on my P's). The quote I was given (and the best one I got) was for $1400 (payed in monthly instalments of $130, you pay extra this way) I also inquired with my insurer (RACV) on the rates I would pay for an XR6 T or an XR8, the XR6T was $100 more Per Annum ($1500), While the XR8 was another $100 more over the XR6T ($1600).
Old 31-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #6
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_190
From your list and the fact that you did mention second hand, and the depreciation of BFs post Orion.
I think I would suggest that in a years time you should be able to get an XR6 T or XR8 optioned with ZF and Leather, Probably best to go for a 2007 BFII with maybe under 35,000. You could probably get either of those for about $33,000 easily. Maybe if you are a good hagler and are lucky to get a good dealer, a smidgen under $31,000. That is with the balance of new car warranty. I don't know this for sure, this is my estimate going on current prices and current depreciation rates including a depreciation drop with Orion release.

But on P
Yes please be ignoring my bad posting today... It must be the heat.
:
Old 31-12-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you say that all the cars you consider would have to have leather.

Why not think about a BF MK2 Fairmont Ghia but look around for a V8.

It would have everything you want,comfort and power.

It would also be right in the price range you are looking for.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 05:38 PM   #8
strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPID XR8
If you say that all the cars you consider would have to have leather.

Why not think about a BF MK2 Fairmont Ghia but look around for a V8.

It would have everything you want,comfort and power.

It would also be right in the price range you are looking for.
There may be a comparison on the luxury items here, but performance is lacking and also my sources tell me that the Fairmont may be discontinued after the BF model. Also this may make them more sought after thus you may not get good value for money. I reckon you would get a Typhoon or a GT for the kind of money you have to spend, so do some shopping around and a bit of haggling and you may just end up with a bit more than you where aiming for.
strike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #9
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think you would be able to go past something like this.

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...MONT&Make=FORD
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Almost but not quite.... I'm after something a bit more "muscelly" spelling???

It must be a phase that I'm going through, but I love the look and tance of the current FPV models....
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #11
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

mate I made an similar deal on a fully optioned XR8 recently pre Orion depreciation... It can be done...
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post