Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #1
AUIIXR8_Tas

Default BP Ultimate

Anyone use this stuff? My local BP (Hobart, eastern shore) started selling it a couple of days ago. As far as I know, most servos around Hobart stock 95 premium but this gear is 98 and they're asking 159.9c a litre for it. I think when I'm next due for a fill I'll give it a go but for that price it will be a special treat once in a while, I think.

AUIIXR8_Tas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #2
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe it to be the best juice out there.
Old 23-07-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't put any other fuel through any of my cars. Haven't had to use that valve saver **** with it either. Before i used it it the cortina it used to idel itself to a stall at traffic lights and what not, but now it runs sweet everytime i start it. Also have a VN SS, which only have a factory comp ratio of 8.8:1. Putting ultimate in the tank does not really increase performance as such, but it too runs noticeably smoother and better economy.
Old 23-07-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
XRchic
Hello

Yep, I use it. Its the best in my opinion.

There is not a lot of point unless your car is tuned for it though. You might notice a small amount of power increase and a slight improvement in fuel economy, but not much to be worth paying that price.

If its tuned for 98, then go for it! Otherwise, 95 or regular ULP should be ok really.

Special treat, yeah not a bad idea, at these prices!!!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

pft, I have to pay $1.76.9 for 91.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 09:27 PM   #6
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
pft, I have to pay $1.76.9 for 91.
Yeh but that is kiwi dollars not real money......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #7
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yeh but that is kiwi dollars not real money......
Whats the going exchange rate?

Old 23-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
pks54
Ford Power To The People

about $AU1 equals $NZ1.20
pks54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #9
Tobey
BF Ute...

If you usually use valve master do you not need to use it with 98? I have an xb falcon 250, does anyone know if the fuel economy will be any better?
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

I have read that ulitamate is the best pump fuel availble.I also read that if you add octane booster it's one of the best fuels availble bar none.
Old 23-07-2006, 11:24 PM   #11
Steffo
LPG > You

Fuel quality wise, from the major player, I personally rank the 98 RON offerings as follows...

1. Mobil Synergy 8000
2. BP Ultimate
3. Caltex Vortex 98
4. Shell Optimax
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #12
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloxbgt
I have read that ulitamate is the best pump fuel availble.I also read that if you add octane booster it's one of the best fuels availble bar none.
Why would you add octane booster to 98 ron fuel? What benefit would it have if your car is not tuned for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
1. Mobil Synergy 8000
2. BP Ultimate
3. Caltex Vortex 98
4. Shell Optimax
I agree, Mobil is also very good. I quite happily alternate between Synergy and Ultimate.

We dont have Optimax here, and Im quite glad we dont, from what Ive seen and heard in other states.

Old 23-07-2006, 11:46 PM   #13
Brute33
Boss 350

I've always believed BP Ultimate the best but never had hard evidence until this month. It the only fuel I have ever used since day one ( odd exception ) until the BP down the road closed due to aging tanks, so I was left with Optimax which I knew was ordinary after it fouled my mates XR6T plugs.
I've used Opti for the last 3-4 months until 2 weeks ago, and I now travel 5k's to get BP again . **** poor idling and loss of power due to fouled plugs seems to be the norm for Opti.
Brute33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 12:19 AM   #14
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's funny this thread popped up tonight. I filled up with BP 98 and god damn hell does it make a difference. The feeling fo the car revs just seems to be "smoother" for lack of a better word, and you can tell it's just got a touch more go as well.

All I know is when I filled up I immediately could tell the engine was running smoother than it ever has the whole time I've owned it.

Well worth the extra couple of dollars to fill up :P
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 01:18 AM   #15
TUF514
Banned

Yep ultimate for me too.
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 02:19 AM   #16
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one should need to use any octane boost with ultimate unless you have 0ver 11.5/12:1 compression. The only real "performance" gain for an everyday car is better combustion of the fuel resulting in better idle quality, and more mileage through better combustion. Ultimate doesn't seem to "break down" with increased rpm as it is more stable. I don't know if anyone here uses caltex gold, but i dare anyone to fill a tank with that after 1 month on Ultimate. You will notice a difference.
Old 24-07-2006, 02:44 AM   #17
TUF514
Banned

^^^^^ you saying Caltex Gold is better or BP Ultimate?
TUF514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 06:11 AM   #18
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Mate of mine has a XR6 Ute, and dont quote me on this but he runs 98 octane fuel (Optimax i beleive) but one particualr day he benefited on the dyno after running with octane boost as well, over a mate with similar mods to his xr6 sedan, runnin premium/ultimate without octane boost

ill have to get him to pop his head in this thread with his info, which would be better thne what i can tell you
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 06:35 AM   #19
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This subject has been discussed before and a member who is a tanker driver and delivers the stuff said that Ultimate and Vortex 98 are exactly the same fuels sold under different names and that Optimax has 10% ethanol in it. (so it should be cheaper!).

I was running Ultimate in my BF Typhoon until the local Caltex installed a Vortex 98 bowser some months ago. I have been using Vortex 98 since then as I can save 4 cents a litre using use Woolworths discount vouchers. There has been no change in performance.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #20
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
This subject has been discussed before and a member who is a tanker driver and delivers the stuff said that Ultimate and Vortex 98 are exactly the same fuels sold under different names and that Optimax has 10% ethanol in it. (so it should be cheaper!).

I was running Ultimate in my BF Typhoon until the local Caltex installed a Vortex 98 bowser some months ago. I have been using Vortex 98 since then as I can save 4 cents a litre using use Woolworths discount vouchers. There has been no change in performance.
There are alot of myth's regarding this. I don't believe a word. Each brand have different fuels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Fuel quality wise, from the major player, I personally rank the 98 RON offerings as follows...

1. Mobil Synergy 8000
2. BP Ultimate
3. Caltex Vortex 98
4. Shell Optimax
I agree with Steffo. Except I would rate Optimax alot lower. I am yet to find a car that runs good on it.
The LTD mate 361rwkw on Vortex 98, not bad considering it's 3rd best!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 09:05 AM   #21
MRJUCY
Fordless

Optimax does not have ethanol in it Optimax Extreme their 100 octane fuel has 5% ethanol tho.

I like the BP & Caltex 98s better then Mobil or Shell but it can vary state to state & even tank to tank, they all go bad if the servo doesn't go through it regularly enough. I normally use the Mobil just because I get 4c off a litre for buying a Red Bul or pack of smokes. I'm happy I don't live in Tasmania tho that's about 20c a litre more then I've been paying.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 09:11 AM   #22
BJ
Banned

I use to run the XC 387 on av-gas for years (12.58:1 comp) i had a talk to Mike at TOCC in Brisbane about it all and told me to run Ultimate + Pro strength octane booster. Not only did it run smother i also picked up 15 RWHP for my efforts. So to answer you question, i wont use anything else.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 09:27 AM   #23
XBGT_73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro

I doubt that the fuels are the same.They may be all taken from the same refinery BUT each company then adds it's own additives.Mobil 8000 is far better than the other brands of fuel.Tried every-one and the 8000 made the best HP on the dyno and i had no pinging issues with it on HOT days.Problem is most do not even know what detonation sounds like,that's were the dyno comes in hand in testing fuel quality.
Old 24-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #24
coley13

i run my cr500 on it and nothing comes close. it runs head and shoulders above any other 98 octane of different brands
coley13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #25
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co8ra
Mate of mine has a XR6 Ute, and dont quote me on this but he runs 98 octane fuel (Optimax i beleive) but one particualr day he benefited on the dyno after running with octane boost as well, over a mate with similar mods to his xr6 sedan, runnin premium/ultimate without octane boost

ill have to get him to pop his head in this thread with his info, which would be better thne what i can tell you
Hi mate

Those results could be due to a number of things.

Did both of them run on the same dyno at the same time? If not, then I would put the difference down to normal variation in dynos and also differing atmospheric conditions such as air temp, humidity etc, which all affect dyno readings. It also depends which mode the dyno was run in.

Even if both cars were run on the same dyno, within a few minutes of each other in the same mode, it is unlikely both cars would have been the same regardless of what fuel they were running, and any octane booster.

For a start, similar mods are not the same mods. Even a different CAI or a different set of headers, exhaust or cat could account for a few rwkw, or quite a few even!

One car could be manual and one could be auto - the manual will always show higher rwkw than the auto. One car could have had a generic tune and one could have had a custom tune - or not at all....

And even discounting all of those possibilities, there are normal variations between all cars of the same model anyway... My car ran 138rwkw stock, but I was told that that place had dynoed plenty of other cars the same as mine, stock. They had gotten anywhere between 125 and 140rwkw.

This is because each individual engine is different off the production line. However, the tune they have is a generic one. What that means is that some cars will run on a higher and more efficient AFR than others... Some cars come out of the factory extremely rich and therefore are down on power. Others are a little leaner and show more power on the dyno.

There are too many factors to comment, and I know you said you dont have the info, which is fair enough. I am just saying it would be good to be able to ask your mate some questions, such as how much difference was there, etc....

I do not see how octane booster in 98 ron fuel is going to increase power.

VERY old and worn engines may see an increase by using high octane fuel and octane booster, but on regular condition, newer engines, I cant see how it would benefit unless you have a piggy back on the ECU or an edit which allows for 98+ ron.

Cheers

Jac

Old 24-07-2006, 11:56 AM   #26
xr8man83
Grunt Files

I use caltex vortex 98 and i find that its a very good fuel and fairly priced as well it gives me good fuel economy and makes my car run good and smooth
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 01:45 PM   #27
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpieez_xb_ute
^^^^^ you saying Caltex Gold is better or BP Ultimate?
I'm saying Ultimate is better. If it came down to putting in any other fuel it would be Mobil 8000. I'm lead to believe that caltex fuel is the same as the woolies stuff, unsure though. BJ's car is an example of what i said before about using octane boost with big comp. what co8ra said may hold true about the XR6 on the dyno compared to the other one. Isn't it recommended that XR6's run on premo? If more boost was fed into the engine, then octane boost will help against detonation without the need for any tuning of the ecu. With an efi turbo car, it is easy for a quality tuner to produce a clean tune so that no detonation will occur, but, most tuners that i know of will advise using octane boost as an "extra safe guard".
Old 24-07-2006, 01:59 PM   #28
XRchic
Hello

Im fairly sure they recommend XR6Ts to use premium (95+) while the XR6 is fine, from factory on regular ULP. Always better to be safe than sorry...

Old 24-07-2006, 02:09 PM   #29
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have always used Vortex 95. Tried Ultimate 98 and Vortex 98, but didn't notice any difference over the 95.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #30
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Running the octane boost on any EFI car with knock sensors will help. The ecu will be able to feed on more advance before knock is dettected. The ecu is constanly referring to the knock sensors for feedback on tune (ignition advance) so a car that runs knock sensors will benefit more than one that doesn't cause the injection system will be able to uptune automatically. Thats why when good tuners do fuel comparisson on dyno's they reset the ecu block learn before comparing the new fuel in the same car.
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote