Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-09-2007, 04:57 PM   #1
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default what would cause this?

found this on the car today. i dont know how it happened or when. but i do remeber the other night, something hitting the car while driving, i nearly shat myself.

pretty p/o at the moment, i had paid for everything i needed to and it was trouble free, but then this comes along.

how much would i be looking at for a new bonnet? or a repair?

mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Good excuse to get a carbon fibre bonnet now
Looks weird, like someone drilled a hole in your bonnet or bullet?? lol
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Were u driving near an overpass?

Kids these days seem to enjoy chucking stuff off them

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #4
XR6Stu

It takes a fair bit of force to punhc a hole in a bonnet like that... whatever has hit it has hit it bloody hard at high velocity. Lucky it hit the bonnet and didnt hit you after going thru your windscreen. My guess is a rock (doubt it though, unless thrown off an overpass, still doubt it, ) or as unlikely as it sounds a bullet is the only thing i can think of that would do that sort of damage to a bonnet.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 06:12 PM   #5
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

it looks like it's come through the bonnet (engine bay to outside word)
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

It looks like maybe something has come from inside the engine bay?? Like something got flicked off the fan belt?
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mark is it an innie or an outie
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Umineko
Karasu

Looks like damage from the tray of a 4X4 ute backing into you, steel frames under dropside utes could easily punch a hole in a bonnet without too much effort. would explain the other scratches as well
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko
Looks like damage from the tray of a 4X4 ute backing into you, steel frames under dropside utes could easily punch a hole in a bonnet without too much effort. would explain the other scratches as well
You've got my vote!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #10
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
mark is it an innie or an outie
lol, definately something has punched it from the outside. the metal is pushed inwards towards the motor.

no over passes, but after finding the hole i considered my self lucky what ever hit me didnt come through the windscreen. i cant see a rock doing that much damage, but who knows.

so where do i go from here. new bonnet most likely option. how much am i looking at?
mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you were doing 110 under a bridge and some idiot rocked you that may happen . you can get new bonnets (repro) for 220 to 240 or check fibre sports ( forum sponsor )out for fiberglass bonnets with the bulge might be just the excuse you need
Old 06-09-2007, 07:35 PM   #12
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Reread the first post, WHILST driving.

My money is on something falling from either a passing car or from one you may have been behind, possibly a piece of metal.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #13
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark180227
no over passes, but after finding the hole i considered my self lucky what ever hit me didnt come through the windscreen. i cant see a rock doing that much damage, but who knows.
Depending on how high the overpass is, consider a medium-large rock (5 kg or so), being thrown off the overpass and it hit your bonnet on an edge.

Rocks will be accelerating at around 10m/s^2, so by the time it hit your car it would be travelling at around 70+km/h, if all that energy was concentrated into a single point (or apex) on the rock and distributed over a limited time frame, the impulse of that would be significant enough to cause quite a bit of damage!

Im sure you have seen rocks causing massive damage to windscreens and stuff in the news recently, granted that windscreens are much less resistant to such impacts, but such energy transfers could result in a significant amount of damage. Think about you wielding an axe onto a car bonnet, or a pitchfork.

That is similar to what a rock launched from a 30meter platform could do (I have no idea how high overpasses are

Maybe me and my physics should stfu, i am under the influence of Jim Beam Long Blacks (2.1 standard drinks per bottle & on special at liquourland 17.99 for 4) :

Currently:
Old 06-09-2007, 07:45 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Whatever hit you was small, solid and was moving at a high rate of knots.

I had a 50cm hunk of 2x3 wood hit my bumper, then the bonet then bounce over the car whild driving towards the 'gong many eons ago.

It fell off the tray of a tabletop truck. He pulled over and it all got sorted out.

But even that just chipped some paint on first contact with bumper, then caused a slight dent and a tiny chip on the bonet.

Have you had your car serviced recently? I had a similar dent (but no puncture) in the roof once when the car went up on a hoist in a workshop.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #15
ayeyew
Teh Baest

^^ The actual object itself may not have been small, just the bit which made contact with the bonnet was small

BTW, Go for one of those Boss bonnets off ebay

Like $650 i think i saw them for, they look HOT

Currently:
Old 06-09-2007, 08:13 PM   #16
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

How on earth did it hit there without hitting the bonnet protector 1st????????, it is to close to the protector to have come from another vehicle infront in my opinion.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #17
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Thats hard to pick.Whatever it was hit with alot of force.Those bonnets don't get holes that easily. Lucky you weren't hurt.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 AM   #18
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my vote would be a kid with a sling shot!!!! because even if it was a rock that was thrown it would not have gone in like it did. It would have needed Some serious force.

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6007
my vote would be a kid with a sling shot!!!! because even if it was a rock that was thrown it would not have gone in like it did. It would have needed Some serious force.
the serious force is a car doing freeway speed . when you think about it hitting anything at 100+ Ks will do a lot of damage and if it's small and pointy it may make a hole
Old 07-09-2007, 12:42 PM   #20
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but look at the size of it! it would have needed extra force for something that small, otherwise we would all have holes in our cars from small rocks and stuff

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #21
KITBAG

Quote:

I Recon they were made by 4X4 ute backing or truck backing in to it.... :
As for type off 4x4 or truck maybe onr of the follwing................
KITBAG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #22
xrfranjo
whats that noise

maybe it was a bullet coming from iraq?
xrfranjo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 06:52 PM   #23
XR6Stu

why wont anyone listen to the panel beater? AU bonnet due to the massive open flat panel, have alot of stretch in them. Rather than just push a dent in it, whatever it was has hit the bonnet VERY VERY hard, and wouldnt be any bigger than the hole it made. Admittedly, probably not a bullet as I tongue in cheek suggested, but something of similar size, and probably a bit heavier. Although I gotta admit the other scratches have me stuffed.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #24
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something large and metallic has definately hit that dude...

Last edited by clontarf_x; 07-09-2007 at 07:42 PM. Reason: size
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2007, 08:55 PM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87 XF - AU11
I Recon they were made by 4X4 ute backing or truck backing in to it.... :
As for type off 4x4 or truck maybe onr of the follwing................

If you read the post though ... it was done while driving.
I am sure at highway speed hitting the back of the stationary 4WD ute would have killed him and totalled his car.

My view ... i am stumped on this one ... seeing as there was no overpass in the vicinity ... it rules out the goose throwing rocks ... although there have been issues with idiots throwing rocks from the sides of highways on embankments from bushes though.

Could have been debris from another vehicle ... if there was something in the vicinity yet again.

I was lucky myself one time ... a chunk of coal came off the back of a trailer and bounced right in front of me and clobbered the top of my left driving light and launched over the roof of the ute ... in line with me as it narrowly missed the windscreen ... I shat myself.

I checked the driving light later ... not a mark on it ... thank god for Lightforce driving lights ... at least the plastic fantastics are strong ... they have passed the 12 gauge shotgun test from 8 feet away in initial testing. I can now prove that a massive chunk of coal at 115km/h doesn't leave a mark on them either.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #26
No Judge
That's Numberwang!!!

[QUOTE=mark180227] i dont know how it happened or when.

Just a maybe, but are we sure the scratches and hole happened at the same time???....

Scratches from 4x4, & hole from kid with VERY strong throwing arm...

FAIRMONT GHIA: SO GOOD, THEY NAMED THEY NEW FALCON AFTER 'EM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6 ausome
Nah the roads to high, your car can never be to low lol
No Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #27
Jokular

Was there a truck in front of you? sometimes they spit up pieces if their brakes like the guy that was killed recently.
Jokular is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2007, 02:14 PM   #28
The Monty
Just slidin'

I cant see how it could be a rock. I hit rocks all the time, they barely even dent the AU, and sometimes dont even take chips out, at 100k/ph. I hit a fruit bat at 100, and it just took a little paint off. Id vote for a bullet as far stretched as it may be, or a piece of a truck brake, but the force of it hitting the car, would be enough to make someone pull over, youd know it had done damage.
This is quite a dilly of a pickle.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:54 PM   #29
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

something has fallen off a truck or another passing vehicle.

I was once driving past the mines near singleton / jerrys plains and got hit with a piece of coal from a passing truck..scared me at the time haha

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #30
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like others have said, can you confirm both the dent/whole and the scratches happened at the same time.

The scratches, easily could have been a rock.. but how do you know, someone didnt take a swing at your car with something.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post