Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-01-2006, 09:59 PM   #1
mslodyczka

Default Penalty for driving manual when on p's

Does anyone know what the penalty is when driving a manual car when you only have your automatic liscence (when on p's) in Victoria?

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #2
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

yeah, they make u drive a vn commodore for the rest of ur days
brodfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #3
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

lol^^^id rather lose my licence

But seriously Im not sure...you deserve a back hander for being a smart ИИИИ. If its not rego'd in your name and you were "borrowing" it then I see no problem.

But if its your car then you should be in some poop IMO.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol. i would imagine it would be the same as driving without a license.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #5
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect its classified as driving contray to licence conditions.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
mslodyczka

and what is the penalty for thos infringements? Would it be a loss of liscence or a few demerit points?
Old 29-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #7
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
But seriously Im not sure...you deserve a back hander for being a smart ИИИИ. If its not rego'd in your name and you were "borrowing" it then I see no problem.
It's only accepted if there is a fully licenced driver (someone who can drive manual) in the car as well.
Like being on L plates.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:15 PM   #8
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

im pretty sure its 3 points and 200 odd buck fine, tho it might be one of those 5 point 400 buck ones, either way its not real smart.

what r u doing on a car enthusiast forum with only an auto licence in the first place???
Old 29-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #9
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

^^^ haha to true.

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:21 PM   #10
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Hmm, so I have an automatic licence at the moment and I'm on my Ps. I want to learn manual, so is it fine if I have a full licenced driver with me? And what plates do I display.. Ps I figure?
Old 29-01-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

guys be careful, you'd be amazed at how many soft-o-matic lovers there are here.

And if you have driven the new 6 speeder then you would know why. Id still take a crappy T56 than a ZF though....
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:24 PM   #12
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
Hmm, so I have an automatic licence at the moment and I'm on my Ps. I want to learn manual, so is it fine if I have a full licenced driver with me? And what plates do I display.. Ps I figure?
Yep, as long as you have someone who is licenced to drive a manual with you. You don't need to show L plates, you just drive on your regular licence. So if you're on P's - display them.

I learnt in a manual to begin with to avoid all this later...
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 10:44 PM   #13
brodfloyd
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
guys be careful, you'd be amazed at how many soft-o-matic lovers there are here.

And if you have driven the new 6 speeder then you would know why. Id still take a crappy T56 than a ZF though....
in no way am i bagging the concept of automatic gearboxes. (new ones especially) im just saying that for the time and expense involved that it makes sense in most situations to get a manual licence, especially if one is a car enthusiast, as most classic performance cars are manual. And for the freedom of having a manual licence in that it allows you to drive whatever car you want (power limit non-withstanding)
Old 29-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #14
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

$100 and no demerit points i got caught twice when on my p plates
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 11:18 PM   #15
mslodyczka

Hi,
No this is actually my mate. I want him to drive down to show me his new car but he doesnt want to if the penalty is a loss of liscence. If anyone can give me some solid evidence that the penatly is less i would be able to convice him.
Old 29-01-2006, 11:48 PM   #16
Kando

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslodyczka
Hi,
No this is actually my mate. I want him to drive down to show me his new car but he doesnt want to if the penalty is a loss of liscence. If anyone can give me some solid evidence that the penatly is less i would be able to convice him.
Simple...You drive over to his place! No problems! :
Old 30-01-2006, 12:37 AM   #17
K_Man
Whoa, this is heavy!

Interesting....My mate has an probationary automatic licence, and has registered 2 manual cars in his name the past two years, a Camira and a '98 Proton through VicRoads. You would think they would of picked it up?
Old 30-01-2006, 12:59 AM   #18
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Not bashing the original poster but god this question gets asked a lot on the internet!

IMO the govts. should do away with auto only licenses and have manual only. If you aren't coordinated enough or posess the requisite number of limbs and/or digits to drive a manual, then perhaps you shouldn't be driving. Of course there may be exceptions but I think as a general rule a manual license should be mandatory.
Old 30-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #19
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

heres the demerit list for vicroads, couldnt see anything about auto licsense, but have a look around their site, should be on there.
Alot of the P plate offenses seemed to be 3 points
Old 30-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #20
Simmo
White Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
Not bashing the original poster but god this question gets asked a lot on the internet!

IMO the govts. should do away with auto only licenses and have manual only. If you aren't coordinated enough or posess the requisite number of limbs and/or digits to drive a manual, then perhaps you shouldn't be driving. Of course there may be exceptions but I think as a general rule a manual license should be mandatory.
yeh i'll agree with that even though i have an auto only license. i got auto cos at the time both parents cars were auto and i had no money and nothing coming in. so i didnt see the point at the time. ive been driving the xr6 since the manual conversion and it was a steep learning curve but i'm loving it now. i really should go get my full.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 10:28 AM   #21
BlackLS

I did my NSW Red Ps in Auto, coz my manual pulsar had a flat the day of my exam.

After driving around for 10 months in a manual, and after 30 or so times being stopped by local Campbelltown cops for RBTs or just checking out where we were doing 2am in the morning, I came across some of the Penrith coppers, where I got done, $127 and 2 points and defected(for oil leaks, bullИИИИ, there was a few drops around the dipstick tube, from checking the oil.) They made me get a blue slip.
Old 30-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #22
Skinna
Tall Kid...

Up here in darwin, if ya get ya p's with auto licence, after a year (on ya opens) you can drive a manual without being in the wrong, is this the same down south?
Skinna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #23
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its good to learn in an auto first (for say 3 months) to grasp the basics of road rules, steering, acellerating and braking. Once those feel comfortable you can then concentrate on learning clutch and shifter and go for your manual license.

All my previous cars have been manual but latley I have turned a little lazy and bought an auto and am loving it for the sheer fact that it feeds my laziness further.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #24
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
I suspect its classified as driving contray to licence conditions.
Yes, it is, but I would be surprised if they issued you a traffic infrigment if you were driving it OK. I don't think there is an on-the-spotter for it, I think it would be a Court jobby, which is why I think they would rather slap your wrists.
Old 30-01-2006, 01:38 PM   #25
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
As you are a Victorian you run small "Driver Under Instruction" plates (similar to those you see on trucks and buses) as well as you P's, I think there is reference to these plates in the Drivers Handbook, if not, talk to Vicroads.
Old 30-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #26
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I think its good to learn in an auto first (for say 3 months) to grasp the basics of road rules, steering, acellerating and braking. Once those feel comfortable you can then concentrate on learning clutch and shifter and go for your manual license...
Being a Driver Trainer with near on 20 years experience, including training young drivers, my personal opinion is the start in an auto so that the new driver gets used to handling the vehicle, the road rules, the concentration required, etc, etc, then after the new driver is really comfortable with all that is going around them and handling the vehicle then move to a manual, there is enough to concentrate on when your new to driving without having to worry about gear changes too.
Old 30-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #27
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Trev
Being a Driver Trainer with near on 20 years experience, including training young drivers, my personal opinion is the start in an auto so that the new driver gets used to handling the vehicle, the road rules, the concentration required, etc, etc, then after the new driver is really comfortable with all that is going around them and handling the vehicle then move to a manual, there is enough to concentrate on when your new to driving without having to worry about gear changes too.
Big Trev

I fully agree

Im on my learners and when i first started it was in a manual.. well stupidity took over one night and me and my mate decided to drive around on our Learners.. i crashed and lost them for 6 months with an $800 fine and had to pay for the car that i crashed and the car that hit us.. totalled 5 grand all up.. and me being a trolley boy at the time it was realll fun to pay off!

Anyway im back on my learners and i this time around I've been driving my mums EB II Auto.. so much easier to get used to all the rules and learn what you need to focus your concentration on (NOT THE GEARS AND CLUTCH, THE ROAD AND THE RULES)

Well i've had a couple of lessons now in a Manual and im pretty much perfect, got hill start first go.. smooth perfect take off on the flat everytime.. I can still pay perfect attention to the road and whats going on around me and I don't need to pay attention to the gears and clutch so often.

learning to handle the car etc in an auto is great

P.S. I GO FOR MY P'S ON WEDNESDAY, GOT ANY TIPS TREV lol
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #28
Simmo
White Lightning

dont crash.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 01:57 PM   #29
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

yeah also.. my chic friend got her auto license and back at the motor registry the woman behind the counter was like.. it's a manual license isn't it

and my friends like... oh er yea

hahahah so she got her manual license. IN AN AUTO lol.
you might catch her bunny hopping/ stalling on hills around the sunshine coast lol
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #30
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe that in NSW if you get your red P's in an auto you only have to drive an auto for 12 months then without so much as a wahoo you can magically drive a manual,no practice no test no brains. Also in NSW on your red P's you can practice for the world stunt driving championships with 4 drunken yahooing mates in the car as well, also no brains required.