Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Help needed to identify an unknown connector!!!

Hi all,

I am currently well on my way to converting my wagon to V8 however, there is 1 plug that I can not for the life of me figure out. There is nothing near it that I can think of that it should plug into either.

I must say also a huge thanks to Pinkbits for allowing me to view and take photos under the hood of his TL50 in order to figure out how to put everything back together under the bonnet.

Stupid me never took photos taking the V8 out of the donor car so had no idea how to put lots of it back together.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #2
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 
Default Re: Help needed to identify an unknown connector!!!

driving lights?
what colour are the wires going into the sockets?

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The second oxygen sensor?
Old 15-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
hales231271

Air temperature sender possibly.
Sensor is in the air intake pipe.
hales231271 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The intake air temp sensor sits up near the throttle body. Same plug but already accounted for.

Oxy sensor also is accounted for.

However, driving lights or something along those lines is very possible. I know the loom I have used there is from an AU III XR8 ute.

I will check the wire colours tonight.

Thanks,
Rhys

Toy Car Build
Old 16-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Rhys, I believe what you have attaches to the AC. Attached to the compressor is a odd shaped assembly of piping. I believe that connector connects to this piping. That might be it partly concealed in the top of your photos, but I can't be sure.

Hope that helps
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
toyotaxr8

Dude i am 99% sure you have run that wire the wrong way, That wire runs down to the Passanger side ABS sensor right? If so what you have in your hand is the EVAP canister purge solenoid connector, it will have a red wire and a yellow wire with a dark blue trace.

That wire group should run back out gard and down to the ABS and EVAP canister with one of those push in wire ties to the chassie rail to suport the ABS wire
Old 16-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where does the loom go to after the plug. I just had a look on my SER 1 xr8 and there seems to be a loom that goes through a hole mabye to the indicator or I think the carbon canister as I'm sure it's there somewhere.
Old 16-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys I will have another look at it tonight. It may be the same as the abs sensor plug I think of the top of my head. It is definitely not to do with the air con as those plugs are different. Also not the indicator as they are a different plug as well. I am thinking it may be something to do with the abs and the carbon canister as I may have them the wrong way around. Will check and find out for sure tonight.

In other news engine bay is almost 100% complete

Toy Car Build
Old 16-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #10
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Watch this space Rhys. I have got a photo for you. I just need to get it off my phone.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 16-08-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Rhys, here is a pic of where it goes. You can see the edge of my AC compressor down the right hand side of the pic. There is the little white connector and then the one you have shown in your pictures connected to the piping as described earlier below it. The main compressor plug shown in your pics above your hand is right at the top of my pic.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 16-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Seems like the mystery is solved.

Nice work AUvians!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok so it would appear I think that this connector is actually meant to connect to the carbon purge canister. However, for this to plug in there means I would have to disconnect the ABS??

Thanks for the pic stu. But it appears I have made a little mess of the wiring here :/

I will go and have another look now and see what I can figure out. Also, the colour of the wires is a larger pink one and then a smaller yellow with a blue trace which fits with the ford diagrams saying the purge tank is Red and yellow/blue.

Toy Car Build
Old 16-08-2012, 11:29 PM   #14
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

If this helps - the purge canister has a solenoid which operates it, meaning that the connector will provide battery voltage on one of the wires.
A wheel speed sensor will use reference voltage. Thus, there will be 5v provided on one of the wires.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #15
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Oh poo! I thought that I was on to your issue. Bugger.

Sorry Rhys.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 17-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #16
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem solved!!

Turns out I am a goose and had incorrectly run the wiring to the for the ABS and hence the loom was a mile to short to reach the carbon purge thingys solenoid. But with running the wires out through the guard both can be reached

Thanks for all of the help and ideas everyone. I think without that it would have taken me a lot longer to be able to figure out my mistake.

All sorted

All connected up properly

Toy Car Build
Old 17-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Nice work Rhys

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 17-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #18
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: Help needed to identify an unknown connector!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
Nice work Rhys
+1!

You're a handy fella for sure Rhys!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10