Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation What Makes A Police Car Cost $120k ?

They come boldly advertised, as well as unmarked; lurking on the state’s major arterial roads and highways. The mere sight of one can make drivers’ hearts skip a beat.

But at $120,000 a pop in taxpayer funding, what kind of equipment is being fitted to the NSW Police Force’s highway patrol cars?

Police are continuing their search for a man who stole a fully marked, turquoise-blue example from officers at the weekend, after locating the stolen vehicle in Sydney’s north-west on Sunday night.

Officers allege that, following an altercation, Arthur Partsch, 33, fled from police in the stolen Holden Commodore SS just before noon on Sunday.
Advertisement

‘‘The car, including the equipment, is worth about $120,000,’’ Acting Superintendent Mark Cook, of the Highway Patrol Command, told reporters on Sunday.

Drive has obtained a rundown of the equipment, which police say validates the hefty price tag.

The automatic version of Holden’s base-model SS Commodore retails at $49,790, plus dealer and on-road charges, but fleets and government departments typically get generous discounts.

The police models are slightly modified on Holden’s production line in South Australia, but use the same 6.0-litre V8 engine, six-speed automatic transmission, suspension and wheels as the regular Commodore SS available to the public.

Police spokesman Derek Nelson said the extra cost stemmed from the list of equipment fitted in each highway patrol car.

‘‘When you consider the length of items that are in these cars, the price adds up pretty quickly,’’ he said.

Equipment used in police cars includes:

- Automatic number-plate recognition technology. Three cameras mounted on the car’s roof link to a computer running optical recognition software and a database of stolen, unregistered or suspect vehicles, which sounds an alarm every time it finds a match. The equipment can scan and check up to six plates a second. The data is linked to a laptop computer and mobile data terminal fitted in each vehicle.

- In-car video cameras ensure each road-user infringement is documented, and footage can be used as evidence in court if required.

- Radio communication equipment.

- Fixed and hand-held speed check devices (LIDAR and RADAR).

- Random breath-testing equipment.

- Bulletproof vest, baton, torch and fluorescent safety vest.

- Lights and sirens.

- Traffic cones.

- Vehicle signage.

- A-frame safety triangles.

- Fire extinguisher.

- First-aid equipment.

Police wouldn’t provide an exact cost rundown of each item. The NSW Police Force has plans to spend another $20,000 on each patrol car.

Meanwhile, investigations are continuing into whether any components of the stolen police Commodore SS were damaged or removed during Sunday’s theft.
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...128-2dgcd.html

Last edited by csv8; 29-01-2013 at 12:08 AM. Reason: add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What Makes A Police Car Cost $120k ?

No surprise there...cop cars have always been loaded with gear and worth way more than a standard car of the same type.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have loads of gear, plus the labour cost of installing it would cost a fair bit.

In saying that after the cars have reached their used by date alot of the gear will be transfered into a new car. So while some may cost $120,000 if the next car can re-use the gear, im sure it will not cost as much.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Chrisosicko
ADELAIDE

And u wonder why speeding fines are so high
Chrisosicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got to pay for the cop chip, cop tyres, cop brakes, cop suspension, etc
Old 29-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
lockieoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just the tools of the trade, as Neale mentioned all of the gear gets carried over to the next car anyway so every car doesn't cost 120k.
If these tools makes it easier to catch the real crooks (car thiefs, un rego'd cars etc) out on the road than I have no problems.
lockieoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Whilst the engine outputs are the same now, there are definite upgrades to Brembo brakes, F6 wheels, tranny coolers etc.
Not to mention that the 120K quoted is the replacement cost if say a car is stolen (not recovered) or destroyed, and all those items have to be bought again. As lockieoc mentions above, these items are transferred to the next car anyway.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Don't forget alot of that gear gets transferred between many cars in its life... they don't just throw it away when the cars finished at 60,000 kms.

I see cops get out of cars all the time at the shops and leave them unlocked while they get their maccas or subway... If I leave my car unlocked its an offense...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #9
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was yakking with a road patrol officer just the other day next to his vehicle, glancing through the drivers side window I was shocked at just how many gizmo's and doo-hickeys they have in these things

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Victorian Ambulance is around $250,000 so a police car is cheap.

The prison vans we built for G4S come in at around $400-$500,000 each, to carry prisoners.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 29-01-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #11
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

errr
if you leave your car unlocked its an offense?

WTF?
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
errr
if you leave your car unlocked its an offense?

WTF?
always has been

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #13
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd guess the software to run their computers is expensive and probably licensed on a per car basis. not that computer software people charge a lot for their licensing, nor do they gouge on government contracts...

Did anyone see the 'worlds worst police videos' type show were police (usa) left a criminal in the back seat, he got out and stole their cruiser...still cuffed.
Old 29-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
Don't forget alot of that gear gets transferred between many cars in its life... they don't just throw it away when the cars finished at 60,000 kms.

I see cops get out of cars all the time at the shops and leave them unlocked while they get their maccas or subway... If I leave my car unlocked its an offense...
Yeah but who would dare to steal a cop car? Oh wait...
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always has been an offence. Not to mention (in QLD at least) it's illegal to leave your car without the handbrake on...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Im surprised more cop cars don't walk...

If most of my customers were criminals i know I wouldn't leave anything laying around with the keys in it... LOL.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #17
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
They have loads of gear, plus the labour cost of installing it would cost a fair bit.

In saying that after the cars have reached their used by date alot of the gear will be transfered into a new car. So while some may cost $120,000 if the next car can re-use the gear, im sure it will not cost as much.
Hi. Change over time is when the new technology is introduced to the fleets, its not often they pull a car off the road to fit new gear on a car that will be replaced in 6 to 12 months. What this means is old style roof lights, radios, mobile data systems are updated with the new cars and the old stuff trashed.This is why the police historic societies have lots of problems getting the right radios and things for their cars. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #18
GTP-RPD
GTP-RPD

Honestly in this day and age I would put them in Toyota Prius'.
GTP-RPD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #19
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

how stupid... what makes a fire truck cost more then a standard HINO...What makes a Fighter jet cost more then a Cessna.... pretty obvious stuff really...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #20
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yea right they would really find it easy catching some moron speeding in his WRX , skyline, XR6 turbo etc if they were driving Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-RPD View Post
Honestly in this day and age I would put them in Toyota Prius'.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #21
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They have loads of gear,
One of the things that struck me coming back to Australia from a stint in Europe is the over-the-top, paramilitary nature of the highway patrols here. The police in VWs and Skodas in Europe have nothing on them, yet do exactly the same job, but not in such a nannyista, intrusive, intimidating manner. In fact they pretty much leave everyone alone (except truck drivers!) unless you do something really gross.

Somebody in the police here obviously gets their rocks off outfitting these exhibitionist boystoys, urged on by a political agenda of intimidation and nannying. I don't think I can recall a country I've so little enjoyed driving in when I'm not actually doing anything wrong. You spend so much time watching out for the darn things you can't fully concentrate on driving.

It's gone too far and at taxpayers expense of course. If the whole circus of intimidation and revenue-raising was reeled in, maybe the cars wouldn't need to cost anywhere near as much.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #22
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. Change over time is when the new technology is introduced to the fleets, its not often they pull a car off the road to fit new gear on a car that will be replaced in 6 to 12 months. What this means is old style roof lights, radios, mobile data systems are updated with the new cars and the old stuff trashed.This is why the police historic societies have lots of problems getting the right radios and things for their cars. Cheers MD
It does make sence that that the would update some of the systems at change over, but I'm sure there would be some stuff that gets re used, especially considering the amount of cars that get written off & it doesnt take them long to rack up the Kms.

Heres a pic of inside a NSW HWP commodore to give an idea on whats inside. There is also a secondary computer & more gear including a second battery in the boot

Last edited by Neale; 29-01-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It does make sence that that the would update some of the systems at change over, but I'm sure there would be some stuff that gets re used, especially considering the amount of cars that get written off & it doesnt take them long to rack up the Kms.

Heres a pic of inside a NSW HWP commodore to give an idea on whats inside. There is also a secondary computer & more gear including a second battery in the boot

and we get fined for having the GPS in the wrong place or dice hanging of the rear view mirror !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #24
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

new2ford..you should see the pretty coloured police cars in Queensland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 30-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #25
icer
Winning's Winning!

hang on a minute.....

$120,000.....AND they still get Traffic Cones?

IMO they need to invest in china + ebay more to get the price of 120k to 80k.

Now with new setup 460rwkw on 15psi. 30PSI is fun!
icer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #26
icer
Winning's Winning!

hang on a minute.....

$120,000.....AND they still get Traffic Cones?

IMO they need to invest in china + ebay more to get the price of 120k to 80k.

Now with new setup 460rwkw on 15psi. 30PSI is fun!
icer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 01:01 AM   #27
Tysonv48
Fairlane Ute

Just out of interest do cop cars have roll cages?
Tysonv48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 04:32 AM   #28
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Not any I have been in LOL
Old 30-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #29
AussieCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
yea right they would really find it easy catching some moron speeding in his WRX , skyline, XR6 turbo etc if they were driving Prius

It is not just chasing high power cars that they need grunt for, a car doing 120klm/hr heading in the opposite direction and the cop car doing 110klm/hr how long does it take to safely turn around and catch up again

Besides a Prius would be a pretty false economy given the extra weight a cop car has just in what it carries a hybrid would always be in power mode but the hybrid is already handicapped with battery weight.

I see NSW is using a lot more bikes again for HWP and this I think is a great compromise between running costs and agility
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #30
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT View Post
I don’t think it is an offense, just not wise. But funny you mention this. A NSW police man did just that on the weekend & the car was stolen!! The crime even crashed into another cop car that needed towing back home as well!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post