Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Hyundai RWD V8?

I tried doing a search and couldnt find any info related to this.

If this is a repost, can the mods please delete.

Genesis heralds the future architecture and design of a rear-wheel drive premium sports sedan scheduled to grace the Hyundai lineup in selected left-hand-drive markets in 2008.

“Concept Genesis extends our model range into new territories from a performance, design and packaging perspective,” said Steve Wilhite, chief operating officer, Hyundai Motor America.

“When it arrives in 2008 it will catapult Hyundai into competition against some potent rivals, and Genesis is up for the challenge,” he said.

Concept Genesis rides on a prototype of Hyundai’s all-new rear-wheel-drive platform, signalling the brand’s desire to broaden its appeal to discerning driving enthusiasts. Powered by Hyundai’s newly developed Tau twin-cam, 32-valve, all-alloy V8 engine, Concept Genesis marks the beginning of premium performance for the Hyundai brand.

“Concept Genesis is a manifestation of Hyundai’s determination to deliver world-class models across all segments,” said John Krafcik, vice president, Product Development and Strategic Planning, Hyundai Motor America. “With Genesis, we’ve got a unique product position -- an all-new, highly capable rear-wheel-drive platform, a high-performance power train and premium, progressive design – all at a price starting well under $US30,000.”

FIRST HYUNDAI REAR DRIVE

Concept Genesis features a rear-wheel-drive architecture, its first application in a U.S. Hyundai model. Rear-wheel-drive provides a 53:47 front/rear weight distribution for optimal handling as well as more refined steering characteristics. Concept Genesis’ premium handling and steering performance is further controlled by Electronic Stability Program (ESP), the industry’s most important new safety technology.

Utilizing ultra high-tensile steel in critical areas in the body shell provides Concept Genesis with a 12-14 percent higher dynamic torsional rigidity and a lower body-in-white weight than the BMW 5-series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class. This stiffer, lighter, larger body provides a terrific foundation for world-class dynamics and lowering noise levels inside the car.

TAU V8 POWER TRAIN

Adding to the Concept Genesis’ performance factor is the all-new Tau 4.6-litre V8 engine mated to a ZF six-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC® manual control and a limited-slip differential. The Tau V8 delivers well over 300 horsepower (223kW) to satisfy performance-oriented drivers. This power train combination will launch Genesis to 60 mph (96km/h) in well under six seconds. The Tau engine is built with flexibility for the future when variants may offer larger displacement, forced induction options and other technology enhancements.

SPORT-TUNED SUSPENSION

Genesis features a suspension design that is among the most sophisticated and refined anywhere, at any price. The front five-link suspension features upper and lower arms linking the front wheels to the chassis. This artfully articulated arrangement creates a virtual king pin axis which dramatically reduces unwanted kickback through the steering wheel as well as improving responsiveness. The five-link independent rear suspension is equally sophisticated, enabling precise suspension geometry for an advanced level of ride and handling prowess. The capabilities of the front and rear-suspension are maximized through driver selectable dynamic settings allowing tailored ride and handling characteristics according to need … or desire.

MODERN DESIGN

Genesis’ design is a progressive interpretation of the modern rear-wheel drive sports sedan. To match its dynamic power train capabilities, Genesis combines strong, sculpted forms which integrate precise details, natural materials and innovative lighting to provide a well-crafted, premium design aesthetic.

SAFETY FEATURES

Maintaining Hyundai's emphasis on delivering leading safety technology, Concept Genesis boasts world class active and passive safety features to both prevent crashes and maximize the well being of its occupants in the event of a collision. The Genesis continues the Hyundai tradition of standardizing key life-saving active safety technology such as ESP with traction control, eight airbags and active head restraints. Concept Genesis slows or stops via large disc brakes with ABS, Brake Assist and Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), the disc front rotors being 12.6-inch (320mm) and the rears 12.4-inch (315mm).

TECHNOLOGY

Advanced adaptive cruise control
Electronic Stability Program
Eight airbags
Heated / cooled seats
High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with adaptive levelling
Push-button start
Navigation with backup camera
Electric parking brake
Bluetooth technology
USB / Auxiliary input jack
HD Radio™ Receiver
XM Satellite Radio®
Infinity® Discrete Surround Audio System
HYUNDAI GENESIS PREMIUM SPORTS SEDAN : SPECIFICATIONS

Configuration: Front engine rear-wheel-drive sports sedan
Wheelbase: 2935 mm / 115.6 inches
Overall length: 5005 mm / 197.0 inches
Overall width: 1863 mm / 73.3 inches
Overall height: 1490 mm / 58.7 inches
Track, f/r: 1575 mm / 62.0 inches, 1580 mm / 62.2 inches
Wheels: 20” multi-spoke alloy
Engine type: V8
Estimated max power: Well over 300HP (+223kW)
Estimated max torque: Over 300 lb. ft. (+407Nm)
Displacement: 4,627 cc
Block material: High pressure die casting aluminium block
Cylinder head material: Aluminium
Valvetrain: Dual Over Head Camshafts (DOHC) per bank
Valve timing: Continuously variable
Variable induction system
Fuel delivery: Multi-port fuel injection
Bore & stroke: 92 x 87
Estimated 0-60 mph (96km/h): well under 6.0 seconds
Top speed: 130 mph (209km/h) (restricted)
Recommended fuel: Unleaded petrol.
Transmission type: ZF 6-speed automatic with SHIFTRONIC manual control
Suspension: Front: multi-link (5-link) / Rear multi-link (5-link).
Stabilizer bar (front/rear): 26 mm/18 mm
Weight distribution front to rear: 53:47
Brakes: Power-assisted 4-wheel disc with ABS,EBD & BA.
Front brake diameter (mm / in): 320 / 12.6 ventilated disc
Rear brake diameter (mm / in): 315 / 12.4 solid disc
Steering type: Speed-sensing rack-and-pinion
Steering ratio: 14.86

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks a lot like the new Camry/Aurion
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

yeah im not hating the concept entirely.

I have heard it wont be coming to australia. But if it did, do u think people would buy it?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default !

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
yeah im not hating the concept entirely.

I have heard it wont be coming to australia. But if it did, do u think people would buy it?
How about NO!
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Hyundai have come a long way in design and development in recent times ... and if they brought out a RWD version Oz .... it may take some sales away from Ford/Holden.

It goes to show that they are looking at taking some of the market share. At least they are having a go.

It may not make it out here .... but would be interesting to see if it did.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
How about NO!
Well they bought Excels did they not? :

I reckon it doesn't look too bad but will it come at a cost of build quality?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Long gone are the days of the crap old Excels. hee hee.

I guess time will tell really
Old 28-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

Not for me. I got one of the **** heaps in my backyard which I have to see everyday :(
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Having the ZF 6 speed mated to this engine is a good thing I reckon.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #10
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I commented in the orion knowledge thread that when I was following one of the zebra mules on the stuart hiway that it sure had some get up and go. I wonder if it was running the V8 drive train. I did notice that it had a reasonably large exit pipe on the exhaust as well.

Cheers all.
Old 28-03-2007, 01:52 PM   #11
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

At least Hyundai are having a serious look at RWD. They've obviously seen the Avalon/Camry and the Magna/380 have little impact here with a firmly ingrained resistance to FWD large sedans. Early days for the Aurion but I haven't seen many at all on the roads.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

I would prefer this over the Aurion, this has more class and is sleeker.
Old 28-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #13
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Not sure i said it in this thread or not, but i see this car as more of a Lexus GS/Infinity G35 competitor, and i doubt highly that we will see it in Aus, as im guessing its price would be around 60k, which would but it in Calais-V/Highend Liberty/Honda Legend territory (ie pointless)

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
AU3 HERROD XR8
XR8 M8

Yes! Me too. Lexus was the first thing that came into my head when I saw this.
Old 28-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

HYUNDAI will reveal its first V8-powered rear-drive prestige sedan at the New York Motor Show on April 4, however the car will not be coming to Australia in the short term.

Hyundai Motor Co Australia (HMCA) this week ruled out importing the big sedan because it feels Australian consumers are not yet ready to pay prestige prices for a large luxury sedan with a Hyundai badge.

HMCA chief executive Steve Yeo has told GoAuto that the business case for Genesis would not stack up.

“There is no case at all if we can’t sell the product,” Mr Yeo said. He said the disappointing sales performance of the luxury Grandeur sedan range, which starts off at $42,990 and peaks at $46,990, showed HMCA was not ready to start selling the car.

“At this stage, seeing our sales with the Grandeur, I don’t think we should bring in more luxury models to Australia. I don’t think it would be that successful,” he said.

Mr Yeo added that Hyundai models are much better than many Australians think.

“We all agree that the product quality is there, but still the perception for a bigger car is not ready,” Mr Yeo said. “We need a step-by-step approach to the market.”

The Grandeur was re-introduced to Australia in February 2006. The previous model had been absent for two years after being dropped due to poor sales. HMCA confidently predicted the new model would sell 1000 in its first year, but only 575 Grandeurs were sold in that period.

The “Concept Genesis” that Hyundai is presenting in New York is a pointer to a large prestige sedan that will be introduced in the US in 2008.

The Genesis is powered by a 4.6-litre DOHC 32-valve “Tau” V8 that generates “well over 300hp” (224kW) and 300lb/ft (407Nm). The engine has continuous variable valve timing among its features and is mated to a ZF six-speed automatic (with sequential-manual shift control) and a limited-slip differential. Hyundai claims it enables the car to accelerate from 0-60mph (96km/h) in “well under six seconds”.

This is the first model to use a new Hyundai rear-drive platform, which could also be utilised for a sportscar to replace the ageing front-drive Tiburon. The platform provides a 53:47 front/rear weight distribution and “more refined” characteristics from the speed-sensitive rack-and-pinion steering. Hyundai also claims the car has a 12 to 14 per cent higher torsional rigidity and a lower body-in-white weight than the BMW 5 Series and Mercedes-Benz E-class.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #16
EFFalcon
Last warning

thats one hyundai i would consider buying.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #17
Ridin-High

that car gives me new found respect for hyundi.... that car looks so good...

If people can get over the hyundi badge, it would move

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #18
stockel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol a hyundai that aussies might buy but its not coming here... :
stockel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #19
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

"Crap old Excels"?? Compared to what??

They : everything that Ford or GM threw at them in their day.
Festiva? are there any left on the road??
Barina (Swift) .... lol now there's a great car... NOT!

The humble old excel was no work of mechanical art but it functioned as well or better than anything in its class and Hyundai pioneered 'drive away pricing' in this country so credit where credit's due I say.

We won't see it here, our market isn't big enough, the yanks will sell em by the 10's of thousands. Hyundai don't have the same stigma there that they have here.
Not convinced?? Go drive a Santa Fe Diesel. I dare ya!!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I was having a go at Mitchay ... hee hee
The first model Excels that hit our shores were pretty crap ... and other makes of vehicles were better.

Hyundai started really selling Excels when the X3 model came out ... and they sell in droves ... nothing could match them in sales volume then ... they still weren't the best ... but they were value for money.

Over the year though ... they have gotten better and better ... and surprisingly haven't died a horrible death with stiff competition.

They have done well for themselves.

It's a shame the Grandeur hasn't sold well ... not a bad vehicle ... I guess what was letting it down was the fact it is FWD.
Old 28-03-2007, 03:52 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

I hate to admit it paulie0735 but I reckon your kinda right there.

My brother in law had an 88 excel, and as agricultural as it was, he had it for 4 years and only spent $1500 in total on wear and tear issues. Thats pretty friggin good in my books, but he was ridiculed by the bogans for driving an excel.

now he enjoys driving a EF Fairmont which he has owned for nearly 5 years and has spent over $5000 in total on wear and tear issues.

Gee I sometimes wonder. :P

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
5.0failane

Hyundai need to bring out a rebranded model to have any effect here, otherwise people will hold onto their lasting impressions of the first series excels. If they did some sort of a Toyota/Lexus type thing and called the new luxury models by a different name like a Genesis something rather than a 'Hyundi Genesis' they might have a bit more success here. First impressions are always hard for people to get over regardless of how good a new product is.
5.0failane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 03:59 PM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

bit like the first model magnas?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #24
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I think it's a great effort by Hyundai. It looks great imo. Would love to see some interior shots.

Certainly would keep Ford/Holden honest in the looks and innovation department.

Obviously there would be many that would not even consider it because of the badge.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #25
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Huyndai shot themselves in the foot with the excel by buying an old, faulty, automatic transmsion design from Mitsubuishi (from their sigma's) dirt cheap but not spending the extra for the fix for the design. Hence why you won't find too many auto excel's over 120K that hasn't had its transmission replaced or is slipping like crazy. Not a wonder they have a bad rep.

This current situation is even funnier that people in Australia don't like large FWD cars but like powerful RWD's... so they release a large, expensive FWD car into the market and wonder why it doesn't sell.... then use that as justification for not bringing in the powerful RWD one that will.

Maybe we aussies just think differently?
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #26
blueoval
Critical Thinker

xdc351 - Thought the auto transmissions were from lancers. Am I wrong?

PERCEPTION is the major key in the success of a vehicle.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #27
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

yeah, its a shame really, I’m not convinced that the stigma comes from the first of the Excels though, I think its more that they were rock bottom priced and were really the first of the 'non Japanese' cars that were launched here on mass. You might remember at the time we were buying this sized car from Toyota, Nissan etc, comfortable in the knowledge that while we didn't actually know (or care) where they were assembled they did have a Japanese name so were deemed OK!

I doubt they will turn their public perception around by playing in the performance car market here, or doing a Toyota/Lexus branding excersise. I think they are doing ok, they actually build some pretty good cars and time and fuel prices will enable them to expand their market here over the next few years I'm sure.
Old 28-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #28
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did somebody mention transmission problems associated with trying to save a few bucks????? ……..Have you driven a Ford lately :
Old 28-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #29
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
xdc351 - Thought the auto transmissions were from lancers. Am I wrong?

PERCEPTION is the major key in the success of a vehicle.
From the information I saw during the problems I had with an ex's excel and its auto, the design was first used in the sigma's. Mitsubishi found the fix and used the fixed design in their cars... even the 4cyl magna's (apparently).

Huyndai took the cheap way out....

I don't know how they adapted the RWD design to the FWD cars though... That's all part of the mystery surrounding one of the nastiest POS tranmissions I've ever used.

Agree totally perception is the issue. Thats exactly where they could have made an impact here. Get some media attention, convert some people and start a new trend. Instead they moan about a car that gained less media attention than that crackpot who reckon's he's made a perpetual motion machine that will provide the world with free energy, forever... If only someone would believe him : :
Old 28-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #30
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Did somebody mention transmission problems associated with trying to save a few bucks????? ……..Have you driven a Ford lately :
Yes I have... have you driven a pre-VE 6cyl commodore lately?