Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Holwoos bombed

Just read the Wheels news article about a possible rebadged Torana based on GM's new compact RWD car, and noticed they talk about Holdens failure with its rebadged Daewoos and i'll take a quote from it-

In essence, Holdens strategy to supplement or replace its European sourced models with cut price Koreans has backfired. The el-cheapo Barina is being slaughtered by Toyota's premium priced Yaris, and even the Suzuki Swift, while Viva sales have fallen 35% in 07. Astra numbers have virtually halved. But crucially, its Epicas tragic 10th place performance in the booming mid size segment that is worrying Holden the most. Even BMW's expensive 3 series ands the Lexus IS250 have outsold Holdens rebadged Daewoo so far in 07.

Ouch.

Thats what happens why you try to sell cheap Korean garbage to the masses. Maybe Holden were wrong in assuming the general car buying public are morons.

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 12:24 PM   #2
theunfairadvant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Just read the Wheels news article about a possible rebadged Torana based on GM's new compact RWD car, and noticed they talk about Holdens failure with its rebadged Daewoos and i'll take a quote from it-

In essence, Holdens strategy to supplement or replace its European sourced models with cut price Koreans has backfired. The el-cheapo Barina is being slaughtered by Toyota's premium priced Yaris, and even the Suzuki Swift, while Viva sales have fallen 35% in 07. Astra numbers have virtually halved. But crucially, its Epicas tragic 10th place performance in the booming mid size segment that is worrying Holden the most. Even BMW's expensive 3 series ands the Lexus IS250 have outsold Holdens rebadged Daewoo so far in 07.

Ouch.

Thats what happens why you try to sell cheap Korean garbage to the masses. Maybe Holden were wrong in assuming the general car buying public are morons.
They should rebadged the Porsche, Ferrari & BMW as Holden,
this way they will win more sales.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunfairadvant
They should rebadged the Porsche, Ferrari & BMW as Holden,
this way they will win more sales.
I think people buy Porsche, Ferrari and BMW because of the badge (as well as other things)... but the badge alone has alot of buying power...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #4
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With Corolla, Mazda 3 and Focus, that leaves little room for buckets like the Viva. Even the Astra would get squeezed in those circumstances
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
WASP
Whipple Induced

While I think its better, Fords strategy of using better quality European models isn't going gun blazes either. The problem is consumer perception. With so many people turning to smaller cars they are also turning to the manufactures that they perceive have the better quality product and runs on the board in that area. These manufactures include Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Honda for example. Ford and Holden are generally perceived as a large car company i.e. Falcons, Territory’s and Commodores etc. To the masses their small cars do not lie within the target consumer’s frame of reference (familiar comfort zone). It's the same reason why Toyota and Mitsubishi have had so much trouble penetrating and dominating the large car market here in Australia.

If Ford or Holden what to beat the likes of Toyota and Mazda in this area they either have a work harder in a campaign fashion on the consumer education and quality perceptions of their smaller car range, or alternatively they need to sell smaller cars under a new or different brand that may have a better perception within the market place. At least Ford appears to have invested wisely with brands like Mazda which should be paying off for them now. I’m not so sure I can say the same GM Daewoo. I think Hyundai’s performing much better in that space.
Old 15-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #6
rodderz

Ford need to do more marketing wise to get people to realise the quality of the European designed cars....they are all up there in quality, but the recognition of it isnt there for a lot of average people.

They really need to pound the image and perception thing into people minds
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

At least Ford have a product that they can do something with and take on the segment leaders with due to the outstanding quality of the Euro Ford products. Holwoo don't so they are pretty much stuffed unless they sell theirs rediculously cheaper then their competition.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
While I think its better, Fords strategy of using better quality European models isn't going gun blazes either. The problem is consumer perception. With so many people turning to smaller cars they are also turning to the manufactures that they perceive have the better quality product and runs on the board in that area. These manufactures include Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Honda for example. Ford and Holden are generally perceived as a large car company i.e. Falcons, Territory’s and Commodores etc. To the masses their small cars do not lie within the target consumer’s frame of reference (familiar comfort zone). It's the same reason why Toyota and Mitsubishi have had so much trouble penetrating and dominating the large car market here in Australia.
I disagree with that point, back in the 80's and 90's the Ford laser was the best selling small car and where a familiar comfort zone along with the best selling large car at the time (falcon). I know the japanese brands have come along way since then, but it shows that ford were not always just a large car company.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
I disagree with that point, back in the 80's and 90's the Ford laser was the best selling small car and where a familiar comfort zone along with the best selling large car at the time (falcon). I know the japanese brands have come along way since then, but it shows that ford were not always just a large car company.
Not to mention the Meteor and Telstar that lead in sales too. Ford owned the market back then.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 12:09 PM   #10
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Not to mention the Meteor and Telstar that lead in sales too. Ford owned the market back then.
Remember the Laser was a Mazda 323 the Telstar a Mazda 626 and the Corsair a Nissan Pintara.

Mazda market research has shown that the Mazda 3 buyers are mostly former Laser buyers. People didn't identify with the Focus and always knew the Laser was a rebadged Mazda so they all started buying Mazda 3's.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 12:47 PM   #11
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

If ford shrunk the falcon 25% and sold it as a small size car along side the full size falcon, people would identify it as its recognizable. BMW and Mercedes do this with there line up with the 3,5 and 7 series all looking like larger cars of the smaller series.
Imagine a mid size VE commodore and how well it would sell
Old 16-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
Remember the Laser was a Mazda 323 the Telstar a Mazda 626 and the Corsair a Nissan Pintara.

Mazda market research has shown that the Mazda 3 buyers are mostly former Laser buyers. People didn't identify with the Focus and always knew the Laser was a rebadged Mazda so they all started buying Mazda 3's.
They should have sold the Focus as the Laser. Nissan also took a beating by dropping the Pulsar name for the.... ah.... um...what's it called?

Quote:
They were the glory days alright.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #13
WASP
Whipple Induced

The market environment was quite different back then. Consumers had different expectations than they do now. The consumer felt comfortable with the qulaity Ford was producing back then, but their expectations for reliabitly for one thing has changed. Ford aren't strong in this area regardless of if you believe this to be fact or fiction.The lasers where also assembled in Australia in the 80's and early 90's and if I reamember correctly sales dropped when that production line stopped. All the Fords you guys mentioned were commonly known as Mazda's by most people which possibly helped due to Mazda's good reputation.

My wifes and her family are a good example. They all had Ford Lasers & Meteors for years and now they all want Mazda 3's & 6's. I bought her (my wife) a LS Focus Zetec and in her opinion is nice, but just doesn't cut the mustard. She's aeked for to replace it in a few years time with the Mazda.

Last edited by WASP; 16-12-2007 at 03:24 PM.
WASP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #14
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Always knew those crappy woo's would hurt holden!!!
Old 16-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #15
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Hard to believe that 1 in 4 cars sold in the 1980s were Fords. Two decades of mis-management and poor product strategy have erroded that market dominance to what is 1 cars in 9 sold in 2007 will be Fords. But that no longer surprises me.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #16
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
The lasers where also assembled in Australia in the 80's and early 90's and if I reamember correctly sales dropped when that production line stopped.
I've got one of those Lasers with the little sticker on the right rear door quater window say, Build with pride by Ford Australia. Great little car. Wonder when the Focus is made in Australia whether the sales figures will go up.

I think the public can see through Holdens little cheap price car game. Lets face there was a reasons why Daewoo went belly up.
Old 16-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #17
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism

Don't forget the Festiva, first a Mazda 121, then a Kia Avella.

Was it true that Ford wanted the Rio as a replacement for the Laser, but Kia wouldn't give it to Ford?

Kia being Korean. But to be honest I believe that Kia and Hyundai were always above Daewoo in build quality and relaibility.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #18
AndyZH

Remember the Ford Lazer Lynx?!?! Bug eyed looking thing was a rebadged Kia.
AndyZH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #19
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

Perception perception perception!

What's that? P-E-R-C-E-P-T-I-O-N.

Come on Ford, lift the game, try and beat that stupid public perception.

IMO Holden was dumb to think that people wouldn't figure out that the rebadged Daewoos were pieces of junk.

My sister bought a Corolla last year but initially she was going to buy the Hol-woo until I told her what a bucket it was and how it was one the least safest new cars around. As mentioned, she eventually got a Corolla but only because she didn't want a 'bogan' Ford. :
Old 16-12-2007, 09:39 PM   #20
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyZH
The Laser Lynx was a 2 Door Laser, made in Japan.

The Festiva was a rebadged Kia.

As for the Built in Australia sticker, I think we may see that come back. Ford, Holden, MMAL and Toyota are starting to feel the pinch of imports. With Ford Australia making the only Australian small car, they will need to get that out to all and sundry. Why shouldn't car companies be proud that they are making a car in Australia?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #21
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Thats what happens why you try to sell cheap Korean garbage to the masses. Maybe Holden were wrong in assuming the general car buying public are morons.[/QUOTE]

But the epica is still outselling the mondeo so ford will be hurting even more considering the price difference in building the two. Ford needs to improve there after sales service by at least ten fold before they will ever take sales away from the likes of mazda, subaru, honda ect... They have great product but back it up with crap service which doesnt cut it with me and most buyers in all but the large car segments.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 10:02 PM   #22
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
With Ford Australia making the only Australian small car
I'd hardly call a Falcon a small car....
Old 16-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #23
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
But the epica is still outselling the mondeo so ford will be hurting even more considering the price difference in building the two.
Only due to a supply stuff-up, and having the Mondeo produced in a factory that is selling more than they can produce. If they could have received the number they wanted, and if the factory had some some capacity, they would have sold more. Wait until early next year before we get an idea of how the Mondeo is selling.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #24
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:

But the epica is still outselling the mondeo
Lets see how it goes when they fix there supply, I read they only had 84 to sell the 1st month it was released.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 10:12 PM   #25
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyZH
WTF..those cars are actually pretty damn nice, and handle well through a sorted suspension setup thats great in factory spec.

What annoys me is the supply line, I mean seriously how many times have we heard it! Happened with the Fiesta and Focus initially.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2007, 10:13 PM   #26
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Lets see how it goes when they fix there supply, I read they only had 84 to sell the 1st month it was released.

Why has ford then released a car they cant get stock of???? Always an excuse thats been heard before. I think mondeo will hurt falcon sales more as people move to smaller cars in the future.
Old 16-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #27
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
Why has ford then released a car they cant get stock of???? Always an excuse thats been heard before. I think mondeo will hurt falcon sales more as people move to smaller cars in the future.
Maybe not as much as you think once Orion is out.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 16-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #28
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

With petrol going up and the fact that orion is going to be very similar to mondeo and have zero diesel engine option l think mondeo would be the wise choice for most. Most family's are now heading down the suv route for roomier cars.
Old 16-12-2007, 10:43 PM   #29
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Quote:
With petrol going up and the fact that orion is going to be very similar to mondeo and have zero diesel engine option l think mondeo would be the wise choice for most. Most family's are now heading down the suv route for roomier cars.
Well IIRC, Orion FE is going to be near the 10-11 mark; and if not it will be close to that. Although the BF with a 6SA isn't fair off that anyway. Hardly bad considering what you can do. The falcon is far more versatile than the mondeo even though the mondeo is a cracking car.

But yeah, the mid size market is huge.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 16-12-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 17-12-2007, 08:54 AM   #30
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
I'd hardly call a Falcon a small car....
.......? He is talking about the Focus being built here in 2010......
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post