Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
ClevlndStemer
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Toyota is world number 1 now

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6586679.stm

Quote:
Toyota 'world's largest carmaker

Japan's Toyota has overtaken US rival General Motors to become the world's biggest carmaker, a spokesman for the company has said.

According to company figures, Toyota sold 2.348 million vehicles in the first three months of 2007.

That compares with General Motors (GM)' sales of 2.26 million cars and small trucks during the same period.

Japanese carmakers have been boosting foreign sales and making gains in the US, the world's largest car market.

A key reason why Toyota is overtaking GM as the dominant car firm is its highly efficient production system.

Global changes in the car industry

Toyota has enjoyed strong sales on the back of the success of its pioneering hybrid, the Prius, and new models such as the Camry Sedan.

Meanwhile, GM has struggled to compete and has been forced to cut thousands of jobs and close factories.
Well this is not good, evil and beige has taken over to rid of all things exciting in the world. C'mon GM come back....

ClevlndStemer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 01:20 PM   #2
Kenster

That doesnt superise me, but Congrats to Toyota marketing and the successed of they smalls car to large cars.
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
MRJUCY
Fordless

Well there you go you can fool most of the people most of the time.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
AussieJason

It was just a matter of time really.

Toyota can't put a foot wrong anymore, while GM and Ford shuffle their deckchairs on the Titanic. Sad but true.

Previous Falcons:
2003 BA Falcon XL Ute White
1994 EF Falcon GLi Aqua

bseries.com.au Member

And drive a Holden company car...
AussieJason is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJason
It was just a matter of time really.

Toyota can't put a foot wrong anymore, while GM and Ford shuffle their deckchairs on the Titanic. Sad but true.
Toyota puts a foot wrong most of the time. Huge public misconceptions about "quality" give them sales, not to mention the Camry and Corolla that dominate fleet contracts.

People will buy all sorts of garbage and even argue that its good, if the price is low enough.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose the sales of cardigans and "Spray and Wipe" will increase aswell :
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 05:43 PM   #7
Gabbs
Curry in a hurry

They must be the most boring car manufacturer at the moment yet they are now number 1.
Maybe ford and holden should bring out limited edition cars with free lawn balls lessons and a free hat.
Gabbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
People will buy all sorts of garbage and even argue that its good
Like Pintaras and Econovans hey steffo.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #9
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad Sad news.

But they along with Honda will get theirs one day I hope.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its a little bit disturbing when a camry has 200kw's wich the new 1 dose

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Toyota puts a foot wrong most of the time. Huge public misconceptions about "quality" give them sales, not to mention the Camry and Corolla that dominate fleet contracts.

People will buy all sorts of garbage and even argue that its good, if the price is low enough.
Toyotas might be known to be bland, but I dont disagree with their reputation about quality being very good. There are always exceptions, but generally I find them pretty good. Looking at the new Toyota designs (Auris/Corolla, Tundra and Land Cruiser 200, FJ40) It appears they are moving away from blandness finally, hopefully maintaining their quality, and offering good engine choices. I used to hate Toyotas and Lexus, but I am really starting to like them now.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 08:49 PM   #12
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota's two main strong points are spare parts and reliability. Their new crop of vehicles seem to be getting softer and less dependable. The new hilux for example is visually more appealing with more powerful engines and better interiors, this seems to have come at a cost. At work where conditions are pretty ordinary (new cars typically last for 20-25k) the new hilux seems to fail much earlier than the older ones.
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #13
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If they were misconceptions people wouldn't be raving, they'd be complaining! If you knew how Toyota engineer their vehicles you'd understand why they're so reliable and dependable.

Quote:
If you're suggesting that Toyota sell their cars cheaper to increase their sales, compare any Toyota model against any of its competitors and you'll find they're actually a little more expensive.
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #14
jdg
Aussie cars rule!

Toyota have an ability to produce cars that best meet the needs of alot of people. Just because they aren't as desirable as other makes doesn't mean their cars don't best meet the needs of users. Had heaps of Toyota's in our family. Out of 5+ Toyota's we have had 1 problem. That being the airconditioning on an 03/04 Prado. Turns out this part was installed in Australia.

jdg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
AussieJason

Quote:

Misconceptions ? They have a reputation for quality money can't buy. Like it or not, Toyota make reliable cars. Even if it does fail, the warranty and spare parts service are second to none.

Ford and GM had been 'playing the fiddle while Rome burned' for way too long, and are now paying the price.

Previous Falcons:
1994 EF Falcon GLi Aqua

bseries.com.au Member

Old 25-04-2007, 11:12 PM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Like Pintaras and Econovans hey steffo.
Though this doesn't deserve a reply, please try to tell me when I ever said the Pintara was even close to a good car? As for the Econovan, for their purpose, and at their price (which was low) they were a good commercial 1 tonne van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
If they were misconceptions people wouldn't be raving, they'd be complaining! If you knew how Toyota engineer their vehicles you'd understand why they're so reliable and dependable.
Oh but I've seen remarkable Toyota engineering in action. Which is not impressive, to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
If you're suggesting that Toyota sell their cars cheaper to increase their sales, compare any Toyota model against any of its competitors and you'll find they're actually a little more expensive.
Toyota Corolla Accent 1.8litre 93kW 161Nm 4cyl, 5spd Manual = $19,990
Volkswagen Golf Trendline 1.6litre 75kW 148Nm 4cyl, 5spd Manual = $25,490
Ford Focus CL 2.0litre 107kW 185Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $20,990
Mazda 3 Neo 2.0litre 108kW 182Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $20,990
Peugeot 307 XS 1.6litre 80kW 147Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $25,490
Renault Megane Authentique 1.6litre 83kW 152Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $25,490
Subaru Impreza 2.0i 2.0litre 92kW 184Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $23,990
Nissan Tiida ST 1.8litre 93kW 174Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $17,990
Holden Astra CD 1.8litre 103kW 175Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $21,990
Holden Viva 1.8litre 89kW 169Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $17,990
Hyundai Elantra SX 2.0litre 105kW 186Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $19,990
Audi A3 1.6 Attraction, 1.6litre 75kW 148Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $33,950
Alfa Romeo 147, 2.0litre 110kW 181Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $35,990
Kia Cerato 2.0litre 105kW 186Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $19,490
Mercedes-Benz A150 Classic, 1.5litre 70kW 140Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $29,900
BMW 116i 1.6litre 85kW 150Nm 4cyl, 6spd manual = $34,900
Suzuki Liana 1.8litre 92kW 170Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $19,990
Honda Civic VTi 1.8litre 103kW 174Nm 4cyl, 5spd manual = $21,490

That's all the base models in the same size class as the Corolla, from what I can remember. It seems that only the Korean Holden Viva and the Thai built Nissan Tiida are cheaper. The Liana, Cerato and Elantra are the same price and EVERYTHING else is more expensive. Low prices for increased sales? Seems like it to me!!

PS - All prices and specs are from the 'Find New Cars' section at http://www.carsales.com.au - very useful I find. :Reverend: :

:
Old 26-04-2007, 08:20 AM   #17
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:

I would recommend Toyota with the experience we've had. About 9 Toyota's have been in our family, only one of them had any problems. That was about 15 years ago with a petrol L/cruiser.

I don't know how you can call them garbage and then in another thread you can't speak highly enough of them?
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=37661

Quote:
That's fine. But you can't dispute fact. They're vastly superior to anything else offered by any maker in that class. A total league of their own. I can't think a vehicle I'd call second to a Hilux..
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #18
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
I would recommend Toyota with the experience we've had. About 9 Toyota's have been in our family, only one of them had any problems. That was about 15 years ago with a petrol L/cruiser.

I don't know how you can call them garbage and then in another thread you can't speak highly enough of them?
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=37661
Commercials and cars are in a totally different category to each other. Toyota commercials are actually pretty decent. The new Hiace is a rip off though, its getting into the better VW Transporter's price range.

The day I speak highly of a Camry, Corolla, Yaris, Aurion, Celica or any of those other tin-cans they call passenger cars will be the day pigs sprout wings and start flying.

Hilux, Hiace and LC70 Landcruiser though, those are the only Toyota's I'd buy.

:
Old 26-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #19
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Hah, and "organised" western labour said it would never happen!!!

Who would have thought... build a good car at a good price and people will buy it. SHOCK!!
Old 26-04-2007, 10:00 AM   #20
flukey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Who would have thought... build a good car at a good price and people will buy it. SHOCK!!
Hasn't worked for Falcon sales against the Commodore. I believe that Toyota get a lot of their sales on the back of their reputation.

Its just personal preference but i dont like Toyota because they are a bland manufacturer, they build vanilla cars with zero identity for the A to B masses. They attempt to build a sports car (Aurion) with a powerful engine, and they dont bother to spend the development dollars to change it from fwd, killing off any sporting credentials that the car may have had. They havent built a real 'drivers' car since the supra or (maybe) the mr2.
flukey77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #21
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

America is also a big market with heaps of customers. For years the best selling car (not vehicle that is still a Ford F series) has swung between the Honda Accord and the Toyota Camry. That adds up to big sales and big $ in the piggy bank.

While they may be dull as dishwater, they are what the average consumer is willing to buy (and without the incentives that some of the big 3 have to put on their volume sellers). Economically this has got to be better for a company then building a ball-tearer that not enough people want to buy.

You could say that this is an analogy to hamburger sales; McDonalds sell a hell of a lot of hamburgers world wide but no-one in their right mind would claim that therefore they are the best burgers in the world.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #22
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukey77
Hasn't worked for Falcon sales against the Commodore. I believe that Toyota get a lot of their sales on the back of their reputation.

Its just personal preference but i dont like Toyota because they are a bland manufacturer, they build vanilla cars with zero identity for the A to B masses. They attempt to build a sports car (Aurion) with a powerful engine, and they dont bother to spend the development dollars to change it from fwd, killing off any sporting credentials that the car may have had. They havent built a real 'drivers' car since the supra or (maybe) the mr2.
Certainly see where you're coming from... but your views are jaded by being a performance enthisiast. The A to B masses put food on a company's table... not the wheel spinning, clutch dropping minority

Gotta get your basic models right if you want to afford the luxury of offering performance vehicles based on the pov pack....
Old 26-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #23
flukey77

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Certainly see where you're coming from... but your views are jaded by being a performance enthisiast. The A to B masses put food on a company's table... not the wheel spinning, clutch dropping minority

Gotta get your basic models right if you want to afford the luxury of offering performance vehicles based on the pov pack....
Cant argue with that, i guess its not Toyotas fault that the A to B masses want bland cars, lol. But come on Toyota, bring back the supra!!
flukey77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #24
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What does it matter who is leading the game. Do you buy your cars based on wins an award or who sells the most cars. I buy my cars because I like ford. You test drive a car and what ever feels good to you, is the one you buy. I don't make my decisions based on which magazine is paid by which car company the most to give it the best write up.

Let toyota build cars and win awards. At the end of the day, they arn't ford,. That's all that matters to me.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #25
AussieJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
What does it matter who is leading the game. Do you buy your cars based on wins an award or who sells the most cars. I buy my cars because I like ford. You test drive a car and what ever feels good to you, is the one you buy. I don't make my decisions based on which magazine is paid by which car company the most to give it the best write up.

Let toyota build cars and win awards. At the end of the day, they arn't ford,. That's all that matters to me.
The only problem is that there won't be a Ford Motor Co anymore the way the sales are going. The majority will buy Toyota's based on reputation, awards and the amount of cars sold.

Previous Falcons:
1994 EF Falcon GLi Aqua

bseries.com.au Member

Old 26-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #26
AUIIForte

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieJason
The only problem is that there won't be a Ford Motor Co anymore the way the sales are going.
You're kidding right?
Quote:
That compares with General Motors (GM)' sales of 2.26 million cars and small trucks during the same period.
(The period they are talking a about is 3 month's here)

It's funny what you say because 2.26 million vehicles sold in that small time frame sounds like a hell of a lot of cars and business. hehe

AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #27
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
It's funny what you say because 2.26 million vehicles sold in that small time frame sounds like a hell of a lot of cars and business. hehe
Business yes. Profitable no.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #28
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

This isn't just isolated to Toyota. Holden Barina, Viva and Captiva come to mind as well, and Toyotas equivalent cars cost more than these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX

Sad Sad news.

But they along with Honda will get theirs one day I hope.
I'm just loving how Japanese cars are coming out on top everywhere as they deserve (yes even boring ol Toyota), just to rub the point in your face MethodX! When was the last time an Italian brand dominated the world market???.... oh thats right, they never did, cause they always fell apart before long and are worth crap all after 3 years anyway. You will be waiting and hoping for something that will never happen, so good luck (not!) :
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #29
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats Funny, Fiat are back making profit again, and the biggest growing brand in Europe. And most inportantly still italian owned.

What does your country make?
Anything?
And still your fixation with me goes on, i know it sux to be Asian but u need to get over it.

Take your v-tec stickers and fart cannon off and rejoin the human race.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #30
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevlndStemer

Well this is not good, evil and beige has taken over to rid of all things exciting in the world. C'mon GM come back....
C'mon FORD Take over please!

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post