Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
xp_wannabe

Default Gold Coast Indy, who's been?

Hey guys, im trying to organise a trip to indy this year and wouldnt mind hearing on the best way to do things in terms of accomodation, track passes etc...

we arent loaded so we're thinking of staying offtrack somewhere like the q1 building and getting silver or gold track passes.

let me know how you did it!

thanks, mark.

xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #2
Casablanca
carburettor

ok first of all you need to sneek in somehow, then find a huge recycling bin preferably full of carboard and paper as the paper will be your blankets and the carboard the bed it'll keep you warm for the night, then seduce a security guard into letting you into the gold track class and you should save pretty much everything.

except your dignity...

but that's a small price to pay.

man did i think this over way too much...
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Look forward to fighting off a bunch of drunken "bogans" all weekend.

Indy used to be good years ago, but the last few times its just a big p##s up for a bunch of "sunday session" bogans.

Oh, and remember the Premier of QLD's comments about looking up. Well normally there is a heap of chicks flashing, but this year there were also guys urinating from the balconies on people.

Yeah, , its awesome...

Save your money I say !

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
EF347

Been lucky enough to be invited to a corporate box the last 5 years and always have a great time. Know some of the QPS and get the pit lane tour.
Can't comment about down on the ground though - always plenty of silicone posing as chest puppies
EF347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #5
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Oh, and remember the Premier of QLD's comments about looking up. Well normally there is a heap of chicks flashing, but this year there were also guys urinating from the balconies on people.
Oh really??? Golden showers? No good.

I went 04/05 and it was good. Plenty of bogans in both camps so meh. But yeah, I enjoyed it.
Old 15-01-2008, 07:30 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went last year, it's not as good as it used to be, these days everyone goes to just get as smashed as they can, theres nudity everywhere on the balconies..and the price even just for GA is steep, most of the hotels are booked on a permanent basis so good luck finding one, you may be able to get one but usually the same people have them booked each year. get a place off the track (another suburb) and catch a bus to Surfers is probably the best way, dont even think about driving there lol
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
TadKa
Wait? What?

I've been the last couple of years. love it. a festival of all things noisy. We stay at a cheap place called chateau beachside. It's off track but just around the corner. you can see the track just and they do a great brekky. Brett Stevens the drag guy is always there with his cars and bikes. Last year we went gold granstand on the first chicaine and was great. also gone in the silver on turn 3? Love Indy. we go up from tas. Dont stay at q1. too expensive. get somewhere closer
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
martO
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xp_wannabe
Hey guys, im trying to organise a trip to indy this year and wouldnt mind hearing on the best way to do things in terms of accomodation, track passes etc...

we arent loaded so we're thinking of staying offtrack somewhere like the q1 building and getting silver or gold track passes.

let me know how you did it!

thanks, mark.
Seriously if you plan to do it, having a hotel room trackside is pretty much the best and only way to go. Down on the ground you don't see much racing, plenty of girls, but no racing. You may be lucky to find an empty spot in a good corner, but otherwise you'll have to pay for good grandstand seats. I went the year before last and got a free room through my brothers work and that was the best! Had promos girls staying with us, free alcohol, and an awesome view!

Do a search on the net for vacancies, there should still be some. I think my sister has booked one for all of us so that should be fun.

But yeah as said, the ticket pricing is a tad over the top, and if you get a hotel on the track its free as far as I know. The atmosphere of the day is awesome. The bogans tend to get their just deserts, I went with my dad 4 years ago and saw this security guard (Fijian I think) elbow this young in the face because he called him a coon. Was awesome haha.
Old 15-01-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
StookEB

Quote:
Originally Posted by martO
Seriously if you plan to do it, having a hotel room trackside is pretty much the best and only way to go. Down on the ground you don't see much racing, plenty of girls, but no racing. You may be lucky to find an empty spot in a good corner, but otherwise you'll have to pay for good grandstand seats. I went the year before last and got a free room through my brothers work and that was the best! Had promos girls staying with us, free alcohol, and an awesome view!

Do a search on the net for vacancies, there should still be some. I think my sister has booked one for all of us so that should be fun.

But yeah as said, the ticket pricing is a tad over the top, and if you get a hotel on the track its free as far as I know. The atmosphere of the day is awesome. The bogans tend to get their just deserts, I went with my dad 4 years ago and saw this security guard (Fijian I think) elbow this young in the face because he called him a coon. Was awesome haha.
martO is exactly right mate. Get a trackside hotel or a good track side seat, its the only way. I went last year and will never go again, I wasted too much money ($10 a drink at one club) and didnt have fun at all.

The traffic wasnt actually to bad, it only seemed to take longer because they diverted all traffic into one lane and slowed them down to 20km/h or something like that.

Thats my 2c

Last edited by EArulz; 15-01-2008 at 11:25 PM.
StookEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

I tried looking into this last week.

I went to the travel agents to see what was available, I picked out all the hotels around the track and there was nothing available.

There are a few difficult factors if you haven't been before, the problem with looking at this time of the year is that most hotels haven't released there pricing for Indy Weekend yet, and also that alot of the rooms are grouped together with packages run by Indy.

I'm going to try in a few weeks to see if anything has opened up.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
TadKa
Wait? What?

i remember a couple of years ago I went through the accomgc website . they were great. gave me lots of on track off track options. I think that year I booked around march and there was plenty of availability. personally I'd much rather be down in a grandstand than on a balcony. I guess it depends what your into. I like to see the racing. the girls and booze you can do of an evening.
Old 16-01-2008, 10:15 AM   #12
TadKa
Wait? What?

Here is an e-mail I just recieved from accomgc. some of these prices are ridiculous. we don't pay anything like that

Happy New Year! With Christmas now just a memory, it's time to start your planning for Lexmark Indy 300 - it'll be great in 2008! Wave this Chequered Flag in front of your family and friends and get them racing to book.

Check out these great packages for on and off track accommodation! To book, simply call 1800 688 018 (within Australia ) or 0800 555 310 (from New Zealand) or visit www.indygc.com and send us an enquiry.

ON TRACK - TRACK VIEWS

GOLDEN GATE APARTMENTS A high rise property located between Ferny Avenue and the Gold Coast Highway. Offering a North Easterly aspect of the track with views of the cars heading south along the Gold Coast Highway and then again heading north along the Esplanade.

2 bedroom,6th floor track view apartment for up to 4 guests

$5500.00 for up to 5 nights - inclusive of 4 on track residents general admission passes

GOLD COAST INTERNATIONAL HOTEL These ocean view hotel rooms at Gold Coast International offer great views of the track as the cars race down Surfers Paradise Blvd. The hotel itself is of a very high standard and has fabulous on site facilities.

Ocean View Room for 2 guests for 4 nights - $2320.00*

Can accommodate up to 4 guests per room at an additional cost

IMPERIAL SURF APARTMENTS Located on the Esplanade at Surfers, all apartments have ocean views. This resort is situated close to Cavill Ave so you can enjoy all the after race, off track events as well.

1 bedroom, 26th Floor track view apartment for up to 3 guests

$5000.00* for up to 5 nights

CROWN TOWERS RESORT This must sought after location for Indy offers fabulous views and boasts great facilities. Easily accessible for corporate guests - perfect for entertaining!

3 bedroom, East Facing apartment for up to 6 guests

$9000.00* for 5 nights

2 bedroom, South East or North East facing apartments for up to 4 guests

Look back up the track or down the track toward the Holiday Inn. 7th and 10th floor available -will be snapped up quickly!

$5500.00* for 5 nights

1 bedroom apartments also available, prices from $4500.00* for 5 nts

* These prices do not include mandatory tickets that must be purchased for all guests staying or visiting the accommodation, nor does not include fees that need to be paid directly to the hotel, where applicable.

OFF TRACK, TRACK VIEWS

SURFERS PARADISE MARRIOTT RESORT & SPA This resort is the pure epitome of 5 star accommodation. Located just opposite the track precinct, the Marriott Resort the 1st choice for many corporate guests and in fact, Indy Drivers. The Ocean View rooms offer views of the straight.

Ocean View Room for 2 guests for 4 nights - $2520.00

OFF TRACK, WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE TO THE PRECINCT

Surf Regency Apartments - 2 bedroom apartment for up to 4 guests

$1450.00 for 5 nights, room only

Trilogy Apartments - 3 bedroom apartment for up to 6 guests

$3596.00 for 4 nights, room only

Breakfree Beachcomber Resort - 2 bedroom apartment for up to 4 guests

$2170.00 for 4 nights, includes a 4 Day General Admission pass per person

Q1 Resort and Spa - 3 bedroom apartment for up to 6 guests

$3340.00 for 5 nights, room only

Towers of Chevron Renaissance - 3 bedroom apartment for up to 6 guests

$4535.00 for 5 nights, inclusive of a Silver Grandstand Pass per person

Circle on Cavill - 1 bedroom apartment for up to 2 guests

$1480.00 for 4 nights, room only

2 bedroom apartment for up to 4 guests

$1880.00 for 4 nights, room only

TO BOOK OR FIND OUT MORE ABOUT ANY OF THE ABOVE PACKAGES, SIMPLY CALL TOLL FREE on 1800 688 018 or email info@accomgc.com

For answers to some commonly asked questions about Indy and accommodation, check out our FAQ's - click here
Old 16-01-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
irlewy86
Meep Meep

A gold class ticket and offsite hotel is a good way of doing it. I think 2004 me and 7 mates stayed at the Chevron towers (awesome facilities) and then just bought the 4 day pass whic gives you entry to the cheap stands. I reckon a silver pass is the way to go, sit at the hairpin looking straight at the big screen,

But ultimatley the best way to go is trackside apartment.
Old 16-01-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Indy has always been something I have dreamed of attending. But never got around to it nor have there been anything open around that time. I was also shocked at the mark up the accomodation has at on that weekend.

Im not so sure I want to go anymore, not with the thought of 'golden showers' etc.

Plus I hate it when its busy. If I had the chance to stay trackside in an apartment like everyone else then it would be all good. Other than that, I might pass.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
FPVTurboTaxi

i have been to all the indys , just luck i guess the brother in law has a corp room on the back straight, i spend a fair bit of time down on the track and agree last years was a bit ordinary as far as yobbos go . the lack of entertainmant on track on friday night was crap but they had the drift cars on at the broady car park

all in all a great event i would never miss but like anything the do gooders come in and try and stop a lot of the attractions and end up increasing the yobbo content not reducing it ... the old saying ... "if it aint broke dont fix it " is so true for indy

yes the rooms are expensive but really it turns out to be roughly 1000 bucks per head for a room in the middle of a race track .not that bad really

For Sale QLD Number Plates 06-XRF $550 PM me
FPVTurboTaxi is offline   Reply With Quote