Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default What Luxury Sedan to get??

We are currently looking at upgrading my mums car, that she doesnt drive very much mind you, both me and the old boy drive it most of the time so its gotta have power!!

Currently she has a VE Calais V8 which has only done 23,000 kays in 3 years, we have been looking at Mercedes (C280 which is now the C300) and BMW 325i / 335i..

Whats everyones take on luxury cars.. Ofcourse my first choice would be the G6ET over all the euro trash but she wants a EURO car, no if buts or maybes.. regardless of how much I cry, reason with her about the cost etc, its a big no no!

Can anyone add any value to the decision making process, as at the end of the day im making it, providing the car is a euro and has some sort of power.. Budget at this point seems to be negliable up to 100 kay, but even then with all the option packs on these cars i can see the cost exceeding 100 quiet easily...

Any help much appreciated, and don't go G6ET because its never going to happen!

2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

BMW 135i or 335i
Old 15-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
BMW 135i
From all reports these are an awesome little car.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Audi A4 quattro S line.. or even Volkswagen Passat 4 motion.. Amazing cars for the price. Every bit as good as the other Euro's in that price bracket.

Old 15-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
From all reports these are an awesome little car.
Too small for us big boys to drive, as we will still be driving it most of the time.. If we didnt drive her cars then they would be lucky to do 3000 kms a year! hopeless she is.

PS i knwo nothing about BMW's or Mercs, and im struggling with dealers atm!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I would go the new Merc C Class personally.

One with the sport bodykit - they look fantastic. The BMWs are also a great car - but the shape hasnt progressed enough since the mid 90s!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

+1 for the Audi Quattro

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 01:37 PM   #8
BrisVegas
Noobie

Get her a Skoda Superb V6 quattro with all the fruit. Tell her it cost $90k and keep the $35k change to buy yourself a G6 limited edition.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Something tells me that a Skoda wont cut it with the OPs mum street cred wise!

But I agreed that they are a great car.

A friend just pciked one up a couple of weeks ago. The self park function is quite a thing to watch!
Old 15-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The VW Passat R32 is a nice looking car aswell. C Class Mercs are supposed to be very good, but I just dont like the interior, and I think the 3 series Beemers are too small for anyone over 6 foot, I have banged my head more than a few times trying to get in.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
BrisVegas
Noobie

sorry, was just joking. I've read good reviews on the Passat CC. It's basically a more stylish looking (Merc CLS style) Passat R36.

I owned a more basic Passat a few years ago and my friends with a BMW rated the leather and interior to be much nicer in my VW than theirs.
Old 15-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
BrisVegas
Noobie

sorry, was just joking. I've read good reviews on the Passat CC. It's basically a more stylish looking (Merc CLS style) Passat R36.

I owned a more basic Passat a few years ago and my friends with a BMW rated the leather and interior to be much nicer in my VW than theirs.

Old 15-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Mate I'd deffinatly go (if thats what you are looking at) the C300. Mercedes is in a totaly different legue than BMW is. and the C300 is an absolutly beautiful car to drive.! ... We had one for a week whilst deciding on what to get my mum (we ended up going the G class 4x4). Go and test drive them and dee which one you and your father like better.

But I'd go merc all day everyday. ... Or even the VW R36, my brothers Girlfriends Dad has one in that blue colour and they are sexy as hell. And forced aswell.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrisVegas

If i was going euro and spending under 90k id go a Passat or Audi A4 over all the others without question, the finish and appointments really are first class and match the up-spec more expensive Euros for quality.

Old 15-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #15
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Important info, does it have to be new or can it be a low km pre loved? How much room for movement is there past 100k with the right options?
Old 15-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see a couple of coupes there mate - OP needs a sedan for his mum

;)
Old 15-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #18
2fishingdogs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go for the Audi. As for BMW's they are starting to see them everywhere.

2004 BA MKI Tradesman Ute 1 tonner in Vibe
Tinted windows, Alloy scuff plates.
The rest is still stock as a rock
www.bseries.com.au/2fishingdogs

2fishingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #19
blueoval
Critical Thinker

oh ok, sorry. didnt realise.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 15-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Buy the G6ET and use the change to replace all ford badging with something euro
Old 15-10-2009, 02:29 PM   #21
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

That BMW 4 door 3 series is an awesome looking car! Is that the same body kit as the M3?

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #22
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy
That BMW 4 door 3 series is an awesome looking car! Is that the same body kit as the M3?
That is a 4 door M3 - GB registration plates
Old 15-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #23
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not tell your mum to AT LEAST test drive a G6ET back to back with her prefered euro ?

But if I had $100k to spend and it HAD to be a euro (if I had $100k to spend I would buy old mate "1TUFXR"s FPV GS) I would struggle to go past a second hand E46 M3...or a 335i...or a Boxster...or...yeah...the options list at $100k is endless you luck bar stard!!!
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 03:08 PM   #24
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Brent

This is a little selection I have put together for you. Out of all of them it would be a hard pic and it would be up to what you want in the car.

Carsales Comparison

If I was after luxury and bit of crystal chandelier about it, I would go the merc. The Merc is immensly comfortable although I found the seating posistions a bit cosy and not exactly endowed with room to spare. I find my parents C class quite claustrophobic actually (I hate it) and their old 540 was a much better car.

If you are after a car that is comfortable in a very luxurious and tasteful way, more functional than show. I would go the BMW 335i with the 330d in second slot. BMW is well known to be the drivers car out of BMW and Merc, still very well trimmed but they are a much better car to drive. Do not be put off by the 330d, the diesel is a gem of a motor and surprised me how much go those things have.

The old adage is that those that have a chauffeur buy Mercedes, those that like to drive buy BMW. Another good option in this criteria is the Audi A4 but I am not sure that I could buy something with CVT, a lot of manufacturers gave up on that technology due to reliability issues.

If you want luxury, reasonable performance with good driving dynamics and something that isn't a german commodore or falcon, go the Jag XF. Seriously this has to be one of the sexiest sedans out on the market in the last 2 years. They are simply stunning inside and out, without being over the top. This would be my pic here.

Another that is worthy of an honourable mention is the VW Passat CC, well worth considering. They have a very sexy shape, spectacular mechanicals with one of the best transmissions that god put on this earth. Added to that the specs are very good, fit and finish is brilliant and the money saved on the base car allows you to go nuts on the options list.

So, my rating if I was copping the bill, considering I would be after luxury, nice to steer and enough room.

1 Jaguar XF
2 BMW 335i
3 BMW 330d
4 VW Passat CC
5 Audi A4
6 Merc E280
7 Merc C320
Old 15-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
That is a 4 door M3 - GB registration plates

At $165k, a M3 is way out of the price range so not worth looking at.
Old 15-10-2009, 03:52 PM   #26
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Brent

So, my rating if I was copping the bill, considering I would be after luxury, nice to steer and enough room.

1 Jaguar XF
2 BMW 335i
3 BMW 330d
4 VW Passat CC
5 Audi A4
6 Merc E280
7 Merc C320

I agree with this list and its order. Those new Jaguars are absolutely stunning inside and out.

BMW vs Mercedes; I'd forgo the (questionably) higher quality and resale of a merc and buy a BMW every time, mainly because I'm not a conservative senior citizen. MB have come a long way in the last 10 years or so, but they still arn't the drivers car BMW's are.

Wish I had 100k to spend on a car.....
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #27
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pull the badges off the G6ET and tell her its Euro.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #28
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Buy the G6ET and use the change to replace all ford badging with something euro
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Pull the badges off the G6ET and tell her its Euro.

We get the point guys. Does it help the OP with his question, I think not.
Old 15-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #29
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

I vote for Audi also, absolutely brilliant cars.
Old 15-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #30
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
At $165k, a M3 is way out of the price range so not worth looking at.
My post was in relation to a question posed by someone else about the white 3 series in the thread.

Well aware of M3 pricing