Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
Marky89

Default Dodgy RWC

I bought a car yesterday and when I asked the guy about the RWC, he said there wasn't much at all to fix, just handbrake and number plate lights. Now when I got an RACV inspection the inspector noted down that there was a leak on the steering rack(both ends), pads were only 2mm and discs lightly scored, and the windscreen had a small chip and was sand blasted, also the exhaust muffler had corrosion on it.
So the guy told me that the road worthy place didnt have to fix any of that..? I just think it's a little strange.

On the RWC sheet, it has the owners brother down as the guy who took the car in there, and it also has the brothers name on the line where it states 'vehicle inspector signature' Also, where it states fixed defaults there is nothing written there..

So I don't know what to do, what are my options? And is it worth it?

Marky89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dodgy RWC

Understand your frustration, but the items noted by the RACV inspector may not be unroadworthy. Brake pads from memory need to be 1.5mm to pass roadworthy. Corrosion on the exhaust is o.k provided the exhaust isnt leaking. Chip in windscreen depending where it is and whether or not it is or could hamper the drivers vision. Oil leaks also dont deem a car unroadworthy, it depends on how bad they are.
chookaradley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

You bought the car before you got the racq inspection done? Sounds super dodgy to me. New steering rack and new brakes and windscreen, no change out of $1200 there. Those 3 things are needed for a roady
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
You bought the car before you got the racq inspection done? Sounds super dodgy to me. New steering rack and new brakes and windscreen, no change out of $1200 there. Those 3 things are needed for a roady
Not sure Fordomatic about the guidelines in QLD but in VIC thats not nessesarily the case. Im a Licensed Vehicle Tester so hopefully I should know. I do agree with you however that you should get the inspection done before you purchase the car, and get any faults fixed or use them as leverage to lower the price. So many people get vehicle inspections done after they buy the car. For the life of me I dont know why
Old 25-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky89 View Post
I bought a car yesterday and when I asked the guy about the RWC, he said there wasn't much at all to fix, just handbrake and number plate lights. Now when I got an RACV inspection the inspector noted down that there was a leak on the steering rack(both ends), pads were only 2mm and discs lightly scored, and the windscreen had a small chip and was sand blasted, also the exhaust muffler had corrosion on it.
So the guy told me that the road worthy place didnt have to fix any of that..? I just think it's a little strange.

On the RWC sheet, it has the owners brother down as the guy who took the car in there, and it also has the brothers name on the line where it states 'vehicle inspector signature' Also, where it states fixed defaults there is nothing written there..

So I don't know what to do, what are my options? And is it worth it?
What car?
How much did you pay?
Private or commercial seller?
Are you happy with the car otherwise?
Why buy, then get inspected?

You have a right to ensure the car is in a RWC condition. And will get support to get it there.

Remember, RWC and a RACV inspection are 2 different things.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookaradley View Post
Not sure Fordomatic about the guidelines in QLD but in VIC thats not nessesarily the case. Im a Licensed Vehicle Tester so hopefully I should know. I do agree with you however that you should get the inspection done before you purchase the car, and get any faults fixed or use them as leverage to lower the price. So many people get vehicle inspections done after they buy the car. For the life of me I dont know why
Queensland Inspector here, and the rules are much like Victoria.

Buy a car, than have it inspected = Epic face palm!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Marky89

Nah I had the car inspected first, racv gave it the ok to buy. Just noted some things down for info.
Most of the things I would of thought would of been in the RWC, such as windscreen and the leak.
But either way, what about his brother signing the owne of vehicle and also the RWC tester..
I am willing to get a re check from racv for 80bux.
Old 25-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #8
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesnt matter who checks or signs of on the RWC
They have to be a licensed tester/inspector
Mite be a bit dodgy,in the sense,if in doubt get it checkout thoroughly,independantly
IF you then find faults, that were passed,and legit issues you can take the matter futher
If the 2nd independant test is fine, then its all good
Remember once that RWC period has expired, its all your problem,and your liable for any RW issues,get it sorted quickly
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #9
chookaradley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nah I had the car inspected first, racv gave it the ok to buy. Just noted some things down for info.
Most of the things I would of thought would of been in the RWC, such as windscreen and the leak.
But either way, what about his brother signing the owne of vehicle and also the RWC tester..
I am willing to get a re check from racv for 80bux.

Would have to see RWC but the persons name on the RWC is not nesessarily the owner, its the name of the presenter. Anyone can present the car for roadworthy, friend, relative, etc. Nothing illegal about the salesman brother doing the RWC as long as he is a L.V.T. Its probably poor business practice tho not to use your brother, it suggests to customers that something dodgey is going on even if there isnt.

P.S

A RWC indicates the car is in a safe condition at time of inspection. I would suggest if your Brake Pads have only 2mm left they would need replacement very soon!
Old 25-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...oadworthiness/

Do you have a problem with the inspection or certificate for your vehicle?
If you believe that your vehicle was not roadworthy when you were given a certificate, then take the following steps:
  1. Check first that the component in question is a roadworthiness inspection item. See: Road Worthiness Requirements [PDF 1,638KB].
  2. Contact the tester who issued the certificate and explain your concerns. In many cases the problem will be resolved.
  3. If you have not resolved the issue, obtain an independent inspection from another licensed tester to support your claim and present a copy of this to the first tester.
  4. If the independent inspection confirms your concerns and the original tester will not cooperate, then contact the VicRoads Vehicle Fitness Section on 1800 816 727 or 13 11 71, or send a written complaint with supporting documents to VicRoads, Vehicle Fitness Section, 1st Floor, 3 Prospect Hill Road, Camberwell, 3124.

What are your legal rights?
VicRoads does not have authority to require the tester to make good your vehicle or otherwise compensate you. These are matters for civil action. You can seek professional legal advice from a solicitor, take your dispute to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) or through the Magistrates court. Where a vehicle is purchased through a Licensed Motor Car Trader (LMCT) Consumer Affairs Victoria may be able to resolve the matter through negotiation with the LMCT.
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #11
Marky89

Thanks for that man, cleared alot of things up. Its too much trouble for me to go further.
I am happy with the car, and it all seems fine so it should be ok, was just concerned with his brother doing the roadworthy but it all seems fine. Hope it holds up well anyway
Old 25-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #12
Itsme
Experienced Member

Cannot understand if you had the car checked by RACV and happy with results then whats the big deal who done the RWC.
RACV would have told you if something was wrong.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks for that man, cleared alot of things up. Its too much trouble for me to go further.
I am happy with the car, and it all seems fine so it should be ok, was just concerned with his brother doing the roadworthy but it all seems fine. Hope it holds up well anyway
Are you saying his brother was the person that inspected the car and signed off the roadworthy, not just took the car in?
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #14
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

If your and doubt go and get it RWC at another inspection station. As RACV or Q whatever state you're in are alot more in depth, and they tell you things about the car that might go wrong down the track. But at the time will still past RWC.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
ZcAmbo

Ive done roadworthys for my self when ive been selling a car dont see anything wrong with that dosnt make me dodgy at the end of the day if its not roadworthy and i sign off on it im the one in the poo. If you feel you are not happy with the rwc take it to another rwc tester not the racv that way you can get a proper list and if you have any issue's then you can take it up with the person who did the first rwc. easy.
ZcAmbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: