Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
regencyred_sr2
Starter Motor

Default AU2 Fuel Consumption

Hello all, just a question... I currently drive an AU2 Falcon and its nearly done 220,000 km on the clock. Its duel fuel and with the gas when I fill it full tank I get roughly between 450 to 500km DTE which I am more then happy with but when it comes to petrol when i fill it up, it gives me a reading of 400 km DTE, which from my calculations means for every 100km of driving it uses 17 litres of fuel!!! I recently got it serviced also.

Now is that normal for a AU2 Falcon thats done that amount of KM, or is there something shifty going on? Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

regencyred_sr2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The gas ks sound about right,but should give better consumption on fuel,just reset the trip meter and see what you get from a full tank.
If its just been serviced they may have reset the ecu (disconected the battery for 30mins) as well.Check your plugs as well,as if replaced mechanics dont alwasy gap them correctly.
My SR wagon 245ks on it on gas/fuel gets 700+ks to a tank (highway) and mid 400k on gas (highway),Im about to fit extractors and replace the 02 sensor which can tend to die as they do a few ks,and should improve economy,Im expecting.
Regards
David
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I always figured that the ONLY way to work out an accurate fuel consumption is to fill it up, reset the odometer, then work out your km's per litre at the next fill up.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the issue with using the dte with dual fuel, even if you have the petrol gauge tell you how much lpg is in the tank when on lpg is, because the car ecu has total control over the petrol mixtures, but not the lpg mixtures, it gets different readings from the o2 sensor when on lpg, so if it senses it is running leaner on lpg, then it thinks it needs to make it run richer on petrol. this then affects how the ecu adjusts the dte as the petrol isn't going to have as much range when it is running richer...if that makes sense...?
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

When you fill up with petrol don't worry too much what the DTE is telling you initially because it will adjust itself as you drive so by the time you've gone that first 100ks' it will have recalculated the fuel consumption on your current usage and driving conditions. Look at it like this, if the DTE calculates your consumption on let's say a block of 50km travelled, it'll recalculate the usage every time you tick over another km, so the next km goes into the calculations and the last km 50ks' back drops off if that makes sense, so regardless of what your DTE says at the pump, it'll come back to something closer to what you can expect by the next fill within the first 50-100km. I hope that's not too confusing. :O

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

dont watch the DTE.

the only way to measure your economy is when you fill up, reset the odometer and when you fill up next time, look at how many kays you got from that tank and do the math.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

DTE tells porkies ... mine said I had 200km left till empty ... problem was the tanks ran dry while delivery ... actually ... don't believe the fuel gauge full stop.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
dont watch the DTE.

the only way to measure your economy is when you fill up, reset the odometer and when you fill up next time, look at how many kays you got from that tank and do the math.

Totally agree.... DTE tells big lies. I filled up last night and it said 638k left till empty... I wish. Within 15klm it was back to a more realistic 420.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #9
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my dte is great, i can do over 400km and it still tells me it has the same distance left lol...the joys of being on dual fuel
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #10
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
dont watch the DTE.
i cant help it! its a obsession! :
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post