Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Default Holden Barina Question..

I know I know... Not a ford.. But hear me out.

A good friend of mine is a single mother of 3, who is working 50 hours a week just to support her family.

The other day I had to lend her a car as she had unfortunately overheated her Holden Barina (2002) model, and it will now not start. It cranks over endlessly, and does not even kick.

She did not overheat it to the point where it siezed, but it now seems to be cranking over with a bit more speed (Maybe indicating no compression :(). The story is that she was driving along and then it stalled, upon realizing her temp gauge was through the roof (Happens to the best of us..., Especially in a new car, always serviced).

The wierd thing is, that when cranking a beeping noise is coming from somewhere within the engine bay/dash, maybe indicating some sort of shut off mechanism or similar?

Question is, do these cars have some sort of overheating shut off or similar?

Or, since its not starting, can anyone suggest anything else to look at other than a compression test? (I am going to do that tomorrow morning)

Unfortunately Warranty ran out 2005... so no luck there :(

Cheers guys..

PS, if mods believe there is a better forum for this, I apologize.

- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some of us are here in Fords because we were silly enough to own Holdens previously. I had a 1996 Barina which I think is the same (but previous) Opel model. Both the overheating and the non-starting were endemic. I never got to the bottom of either issue because I gave up and sold it. The NRMA guy said the non-starting was a common problem with those Barinas. Can't help much sorry, but is she in RACQ? If so there should be plenty of help/ advice there with a service call.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2007, 07:07 PM   #3
nb_351
building the xe...

apparently these can just throw out ECUs aswell...
might be crank angle sensor...
theres a few things it could be... without seeing the car and tesing it, i cant really say...
the beeping noise might be something simple as having the door open and the door buzzer going off cause the key is in the ignition... chances are your doing it with the door open lol
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #4
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
apparently these can just throw out ECUs aswell...
might be crank angle sensor...
theres a few things it could be... without seeing the car and tesing it, i cant really say...
the beeping noise might be something simple as having the door open and the door buzzer going off cause the key is in the ignition... chances are your doing it with the door open lol
lol thats a good point mate. Never thought of that lol

She has a mobile mechanic coming to take a look, so I will see what he says. I dont want to touch it since id probably make it worse.. Plus, it feels wrong fiddling with something with only 45k on it.

Hopefully its just the crank angle sensor or ignition module or something.

Cheers
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #5
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

The problem is right in the middle on the front of the car!, a lion shaped looking thing it is!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
nb_351
building the xe...

well think of it this way, they have it in their schedule to have to timing blet/water pump replaced at 45k... IIRmother in law has one, worst decision she made, its falling apart at 60k
nb_351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post