Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: ARE FPV's and Tickfords OVERRATED!!!
OVERRATED!!! 115 28.68%
WORTH THE EXTRA CASH!!! 286 71.32%
Voters: 401. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

Default Are Fpv/Tickfords Overated

Just wondering if people think that FPV's and Tickfords are overrated....when compared to old school GT's etc....and also value for money in relation to other cars in the ford stable eg. XR8/6T etc!!!

Old 01-01-2007, 03:02 AM   #2
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FPVs are always nice. But and XR6T or XR8 with the luxury pack would have enough performace for me.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old school GTs were MUCH more expensive relativisticly than FPVs, what is your point?

Is a FPV GT value compared to a XR8? Basicly the same car with a few factory mods.
Is a XY GTHO Phase 3 value compared to a XY Fairmont? Basicly the same car with a few factory mods.

I suspect this thread will go boom.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 03:49 AM   #4
Steffo
LPG > You

Depends how you figure.

An F6 Typhoon is a well-warmed XR6 Turbo with a factory warranty. To some that factory warranty means alot, and alot of people changeover their new cars every 3 years for something else new.

To others, they'd rather buy an XR6 Turbo and lay the price difference into it and have a faster car.

Depends on the person.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 05:09 AM   #5
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

For me my FPV is total performance with total comfort what more could you want.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
wiseguy

Had a ba xr8 last year and now own a bf f6 typhoon fpv. glad i spent the extra cash much better finish quality,nice little touches inside,spoilers and skirts way better,better standard performance,climate control etc.
should hold resale better than my xr8 did.
my opinion, looks way better,worth every cent.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 08:12 AM   #7
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I am probably going to shoot myself in the foot for this.
As much as I like them them and drool over them I think they are over rated.
I know the extras they have and how comfy etc, but if I was looking at a brand new car I could not justify the extra expense in both insurance and initial layout to get an FPV or HSV.
I can't see why you would'nt just get an XR8 or if your that way inclined and SS and then put the additional options on it.
Its still going to be a very comfy car and perhaps just a little less (not a lot but a little less) of a target for thieves and vandals.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #8
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Overated compaired to what??
The're are among the best made in Australia, & I think rank somwere in the top ten when compaired with the current crop of performance cars here & overseas, & probably the top 2 in there price range. The only competitor here is HSV & there pretty close in that market segment..

As for compairing them to the old school car, there no contest, the current cars would murder the old ones in every area!

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
Autocade

I would rather pay the extra for a FPV/Tickford than modify a non FPV/Tickford
I value professionally approved mods the millions spent on R&D plus the factory warranty.
There is also a personal satisfaction that goes with owning the real thing.
OK I will agree they are not perfect but for the money I reckon that FPVs & Tickfords are not overated

Happy new year to all
Cheers
Autocade
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #10
HOON69
Banned

badge doesnt make a car the power and luxury does
so imho nup not worth the extra cash
thats my opinion
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
GREGXR8
SHOCKWAVE MK11 BA XR8

i love my xr8. but every time i see a typhoon i want one. this thread is bound to turn soon. words like overated should have the same results as poking an angry bear with a stick.
GREGXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that it comes down to what you want.

For somebody that wants an FPV, no.

And FPV to me is a fair priced "performance" (Although not in the true sense some would argue) vehicle. Some would say that a Porsche for 250k is not overrated. But what more do you get? It's faster and built better, but you can't drive it to full potential due to Australia's low maximum speed. So in that sense, I could say a Porsche is a waste of money.

So it comes down to personal choice. Personally, I'd love an FPV. It's a car for a true Ford lover who has the cash. And FPV was doing better than HSV wasn't it? The people will vote with their feet, and if FPV, infant to HSV can outsell Holden's brand in such a short time, it can't be all that bad.

So Icky-Wicky Oop-oop, Dum-Dee Shimmy Shoop-Shoop.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #13
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregxr8
i love my xr8. but every time i see a typhoon i want one. this thread is bound to turn soon. words like overated should have the same results as poking an angry bear with a stick.
exactly, but this bears is hung over today so I won't roar. Having said that my GT is awsome. You get envious ford lovers saying nice car and then see the badge, oh a GT wow. Now that makes you proud to actually having a car that people wow over. If I purchased a lesser model and kitted it and badged it it would not be the same. You woud still be proud cause its yours and its a nice car but you can't say its a GT can ya. Ya want the beast pay the dollars and be done. While I am here I will have a winge about these kitted up cars that look like GT's How do they get these badges, Ford won't give me s**t unless it was on it when I purchased it, like I would like the front GT grill badge, looks good but ford won't sell it to me.
Any way sorry for rambling, think I will go back to bed.
chow
Old 01-01-2007, 11:57 AM   #14
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It all comes down to preference.

My uncle was looking to buy a BA GT, but opted for a BA XR8 instead, because there was still plenty of performance, for less money.

At the end of day I would get a FPV/Tickford or HSV/HDT and say that I own one of those. Sounds better then saying "I own a run of the mill Falcon/Commodore" that's seen everyday.

As for being overrated? Not a chance. As said by uranium_death, it's what you want. No such thing as a word like "Overrated" when it's up to the person who decides what car they want/like.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
It all comes down to preference.

My uncle was looking to buy a BA GT, but opted for a BA XR8 instead, because there was still plenty of performance, for less money.

At the end of day I would get a FPV/Tickford or HSV/HDT and say that I own one of those. Sounds better then saying "I own a run of the mill Falcon/Commodore" that's seen everyday.

As for being overrated? Not a chance. As said by uranium_death, it's what you want. No such thing as a word like "Overrated" when it's up to the person who decides what car they want/like.
could not have put it better.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #16
Matthew
AU2 (Oo===oO) XR6

I think they are worth every cent if you were to buy another car that would match the performance of a fpv/hsv you would be spending alot more than 60 grand.
Also xr's and ss's are everywhere fpv/hsv are more unique and they stand out.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler

As for compairing them to the old school car, there no contest, the current cars would murder the old ones in every area!
Every area except attention from other motorists and resale value!!! :voldar02:

Old 01-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #18
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATFORD
Just wondering if people think that FPV's and Tickfords are overrated....when compared to old school GT's etc....and also value for money in relation to other cars in the ford stable eg. XR8/6T etc!!!

I answered overrated in relation to the questions asked by the poster.

Compared to old school GT's - They are much rarer and they are not making anymore. So if I buy a BF GT today it will be worth less in 6 months. If I bought an XY GT or XY GTHO or XW GT Phase II it would likely be worth the same or perhaps more in six months - especially if I bought it at the right price. If you are referring to value from reliability and running cost point of view I think I would go for the later model car.

Value for money - I dont think people buy XR6T's or XR8's with a veiw to value for money. I am the forums biggest (perhaps) tight a$$ when it comes to spending money. Whilst I will put My XR6T on LPG (Same as if I had a Bentley Turbo R) I compromised my tight a$$ ways for the driving experience of the XR6T. If I really wanted value for money I would have bought another ex taxi - or kept driving the one I had. The E_gas falcon will get you places in the same time as a Force 6 without some of the headaches of owning a desireable car. If you are comparing the value of the normal ford or ford performance cars to FPV's offerings I am not sure you can. I think it would be like comparing a mule to a racehorse - they have different purposes.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:53 PM   #19
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

I dont what this to turn nasty.....I was just wondering.....what people's thoughts are on the FPV range in relation to standard Fords....but each to there own I just wanted to see what other members thoughts were....thats it....FPV people dont get upset.....they are awesome cars.....!

Also I should have used a different word than Overrated....maybe Bang For Bucks!!! Sorry for the choice of words!!!
Old 01-01-2007, 01:05 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love some of the logic here....

They don't make XY GTHOs any more so they are better value. Well only if you don't drive them.
How much would you pay for a Phase 3 GTHO that has done 20,000 km per year for the last 35 years, that is 700,000km. It would be a little bit worn out and not very original.
Of course I suppose some idiot would just put the compliance plate on another shell and then claim it was original and genuine.

I wonder how many GTHO buyers in 1971 were thinking "If I look after this, don't drive it and keep it original then in 30 years it will be worth lots" and how many bought it because it went fast from the factory.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #21
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

I don't think they are overated in terms of status, luxury, or build quality. I am concerned that the v8 GT/GT-P's are overated in terms of performance though. Idon't think they are really worthy of wearing the GT badge currently. They should be "head and shoulders" above the other Ford v8's performance if FPV wants to market them as the new generation of muscle cars and compare them to the GT's of the 60's and 70's. They just need more horsepower!

I think FPV have got it right with the Typhoon though. From what I have read and seen, it is definately a lot better performer over the XR6T and NA6.

Having said that, my next car will probably be a "slow and gutless" GT/GTP/Force 8. I just love the note that the BOSS offers, and realistically I don't think I need a quicker car that my current BA XR8. I haven't driven a Typhoon or Force 6 yet, but even though though they are quicker, v8's they are not!
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

If you're just looking at the cars performance, then a FPV or Tickford over the Falcon it's based on, yeah there's not much extra value for people that want to go fast - buy the Ford option and dump a bunch of money on it. If however you like the creature comforts, the badge value, and in the case of a GT - badge heritage, FPV/Tickford provide a better package overall.

When I was car shopping, it was the extras you can't get on an XR8 that pushed me to the GT-P. The seats - absolutely love the seats, the name/badge, plus a little exclusivity (only 383 BF GT-P's built, I've got one). They hold their value well, much better than XR's and HSV's. Which when my lease is up means I can get a new one with like a 40-50% trade in, or buy it out for $22K, but still have a car worth nearly $40K (if current values on 03 GT's is anything to go by).

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #23
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Resale is definately a factor to be considerd when considering buying an FPV......maybe this is a big reason why HSV sales are not going very well. Their resale prices are definately crap!!

Wagga Motors are no longer HSV dealers (just Holden, Merc and Honda) because they weren't comfortable with being abused by HSV owners being offered crap trade-in prices on a new HSV!!
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 04:17 PM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

If these cars were overated then people wouldnt buy them. I decided i wanted a TE over an XR8 because of what it is
Old 01-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #25
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATFORD
FPV/Tickford cant be compared to old school GT though? Cant see where you coming from there.

Anything that has the tickford/FPV badge will hold its value better than anything stock from the factory i would imagine. Of course I would option to one of these given 1/2 the chance. Wont be in the same class....even in 20 years time.....(might be proven wrong) than anything pre '78.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #26
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

If its all about the power why don't you buy a Series 1 RX-7 for 1g and spend the 70grand on mods for it? It will be much faster than the F6.

The FPV is not overrated. You not only get a great car but the image of having a FPV. I don't car how quick the car is im much more impressed with a F6 than XR6T.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #27
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

They don't make XY GTHOs any more so they are better value. Well only if you don't drive them.
How much would you pay for a Phase 3 GTHO that has done 20,000 km per year for the last 35 years, that is 700,000km. It would be a little bit worn out and not very original.
Of course I suppose some idiot would just put the compliance plate on another shell and then claim it was original and genuine.

I wonder how many GTHO buyers in 1971 were thinking "If I look after this, don't drive it and keep it original then in 30 years it will be worth lots" and how many bought it because it went fast from the factory.......
They don't steer, the ride is crap, they suck more fuel than a cheap hooker and worst of all you can't drive them anymore for fear of someone damaging or worse still stealing them. So you are basically buying it to put it into a safe and only take it out to look at it on very special occasions or when you are drunk and want to show it off to some mates, god forbid you ever even think about driving it anywhere.

Having said that though I love the early GT's, but could anyone here in all seriousness justify the price tag, especially when you could get a 'genuine imitation' for as little as $40K-$50K, or better still build your own for a little over half that.

I'm glad flappist used the example of just how many people knew or thought about what they might have had back in the day if only they held onto it for 30 odd years and never drove it. How many here have heard stories of family or friends having purchased new an original HO only to trade it on a XA or XB GT because it was 'just another car'.

For the time in which they are produced each has there own special place, some will gain more value and colectability in years to come, others will not, it's pretty hard to say one is absolutely better than the other.

How many now still crave the AU T3, they are affordable now in comparison to when they were new, they are not all that readily availabe though, so would it be a wise long term investment to get your hands on one now?? I will, but more because I love the look and having owned a Boss BA would rather the AU if only because of it's weight advantage over the front wheels.

It all comes down in the end to what you as a driver want and can justify paying for, some will put themselves in debt just to have what they want now while others are happy to enjoy just looking at them.

Many of you said it, each to there own.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #28
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I think alot of its to do with names, in years to come whats going to be worth more? a BA GT or a BA XT, the answer is easy!
Old 01-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #29
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Call me a super idiot idiot (surely I get called much, much worse) but I still want your hypothetical car. I have always waited to get a Phase III, I wouldnt want to re-plate it, I would leave that sucker just as it was. (smokey engine, clapped out shocks and all) If it was for sale for less than $50k and a genuine GTHO I think I would be there faster than you could say "look at that idiot go!"

I agree with other comments that today we have no idea what future values would be. Maybe the daily driver I have today will become the cult classic of the future. (No - I dont mean the AU)
Old 01-01-2007, 06:05 PM   #30
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

The only Tickford/FPV I find overated is the ED XR8 Sprint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post