Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #1
Ando_Leigh

Default Fords Postion in Aus ???

Hey guys don't no if this is the right section for this but anyway.

with all the talk about how orion needs to save ford oz,

how bad are they sitting?
what is the major reason for this?
How much behind every1 else are we in these terms?
what will happen if ford oz goes global Ie exports and makes the RWD platform?

i sorry this may have already been asked but i have been talking to a few people and they all seem to think somthing different.

Cheers

Old 16-07-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

This is nothing new mate. I think the last 3 major Falcon upgrades have been "make or break" for Ford Aus. This has been happening since the XD came out.

Ford Aus isn't going to go belly up just yet. I read an article today about the fact that their sales are one of the highest on record, it's just that the Falcon isn't selling like it used to. This is due to fuel prices and the user chooser system in the fleet market nowadays as well as other consumer factors. The majority of Falcon sales were to fleets but that number has dropped significantly because a lot more people get to choose their company cars now instead of just being lumped with something.

Holden are only doing so well because of their export program and the fact that GM global has realised what an asset the Holden engineering team is to the GM family. For some reason or probably numerous reasons, Ford haven't seen that in Ford Aus so we effectively have no export program. But they are using our engineering expertise for global design input now (Ranger, Fiesta sedan to India) so things are looking up. As far as a global RWD platform there are some rumours that the Orion platform may be global or the Huntsman, who knows. Wouldn't count on any increase exports in the near future though.

If the worst does happen and the Falcon is killed I would imagine Ford global would use at least part of our manufacturing to build something else, depending on all the financial factors (ie value of the aussie dollar, rates of workers pay etc). Won't happen for many years yet though. Just look at Mitsubishi Aust. They have been supposedly dying for the last 10 years but they are still pumping out cars.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Export will be a bit of a difficulty at the moment with the price of the dollar.

For reference, a top-o-ye-line standard Mustang Coupe from FoMoCo is about USD$41,000, or about AUS$49,000
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Falcon Freak
Banned

Mitsubishi are as good as gone.

Of the three remaining companies Ford is in the most precarious position. Orion will put Ford back in a good position but Huntsman may be the straw the breaks the camel's back.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

how bad are they sitting? Ford were in a worse position last year before the downbalance, while they still have alot of stock in campbellfield the dealer stock it low which is a good start

what is the major reason for this? Consumer shift in large cars, large cars had over 50% of the market 10 years ago but now its around the 20% mark. Holden arnt doing that well large sales dont mean huge profits. Remember the AU had bad sales but Ford still made a profit until the BA was going to be released, now the BF is struggling when Orion is going to be released.

How much behind every1 else are we in these terms? Ford need to aim to make a profit and get their build quality and reliability to a level that public perception will compare them with the perception Toyota get

what will happen if ford oz goes global Ie exports and makes the RWD platform?
LHD orion woint be ready till 2010, but they need to find a market overseas and make the Flacon a Global platform like the VE is. The bigger concern by then will the I6 or V6 be in the Falcon.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 12:31 PM   #6
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I think people look at Falcon sales figures and think Ford is going bad without taking into account how much Territory sales have cannabilised Falcon sales as I know heaps of people who used to buy traditionally buy Falcons but now buy Territory's which is a good thing for Ford as Territory is a cash cow with something like 80% retail sales and 15% sold are Ghias. Likewise Camry should be added to Aurion:

May 2007:

1) Commodore 5001
2) Falcon/Territory 4,446
3) Camry/Aurion 3982
4) Corolla 3558

etc.

The game hasn't really changed at all with Ford still flogging old platforms it's not a bad result.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

What is Fords position in Aus?.............On their hands and knees taking it from behind by Ford U.S.

In a nut shell.......
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Add the locally built utes as well?
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post