Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Hally

Default Any known problems with X-Trail Diesels?

Hi All,

I am looking to order a new car in the next few weeks. Until recently I had my mind made up that I was going to get a new Jeep Grand Cherokee (3.0L Turbp Dieasel) but a mate suggested I drive an X-Trail diesel. I duly did and must say I quite enjoyed it and am now seriously considering a TL with a 6 speed manual.

I don't know much about current Nissan diesels, so am just throwing it out there. Is there any known issues with this motor or car? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Hally

Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 06:35 AM   #2
midnightXR6

Default Re: Any known problems with X-Trail Diesels?

20012-2007 UK model

112bhp 2.2 diesels, listen for timing chain/tensioner rattles and check for losing power. Noticeable between 1,500 and 2,000rpm.
The Rattling timing chains were caused by fracture of the timing chain guides inside the chain cover on some but not all 112bhp

2.2 litre diesels. May also see white smoke. Seizing of diesel pump due to lack of lubricity in the fuel can snap the chains of all 2.2 diesels.

Injector and ECU problems on 2.2 136s. Turbo failures on 136PS 2.2i diesel, possibly because drivers are not letting them spool down by idling the engine for a minute or two from red hot which is what nissan used to get out of warranty work .

TSB to replace failing 'Power Boost Sensors' that can also lead to turbo failure.

I cant say for the new 07 onwards model but would avoid any diesel xtrail or navara of same age.

I would opt for the petrol version if you can.

Plenty diesel ones for sale over here with buggered engines and low miles
midnightXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Hally

Hi Midnight,

i just notice your from Aberdeen. my family is from Banchory, just down the road.

Thanks for the info. I am buying brand new and will likely only have the car for a period of 12 months outside of factory warranty. The diesel we have in the X=Trail here is 2.0 and is 127kw/360NM. Was thinking it may have come from Renault?
Old 27-04-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
midnightXR6

Small world mate. I work in Aberdeen but im from Falkirk.

The 2.2DCI was renault hence why it was crap. I dont really know much about the newer ones as.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Renault only makes some great F1 engines - must be crap :-)
UK market had YD series 2.2 Turbo Diesel , aussie market gets M9R Renault engine which is a benchmark for 2l turbodiesels. They are offered in two tunes - less power and torque for auto version.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #6
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can I suggest you go and have a look/drive of a Mitsubishi ASX Aspire diesel? Similar size and features, but about $7k cheaper. Slightly smaller diesel (1.8L - 110kW/300Nm) but it's also over 100kgs lighter.

I'll bet the Mitsubishi will drive much better than the Nissan. Worth a look for sure.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
midnightXR6

Didnt say anything about F1 ;)
Old 27-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #8
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Can I suggest you go and have a look/drive of a Mitsubishi ASX Aspire diesel? Similar size and features, but about $7k cheaper. Slightly smaller diesel (1.8L - 110kW/300Nm) but it's also over 100kgs lighter.

I'll bet the Mitsubishi will drive much better than the Nissan. Worth a look for sure.
ASX is one size smaller then XTrail - in this case you would lose your bet :-)
Old 27-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
Hally

Nic85,

I have driven the ASX (in diesel). We have one in our fleet at work. Drives nice but is a bit t small for what I want, plus not sure if I could get one in an manual?

If i go for an x-Trail it will be the manual, with the higher level of tune.

For $42,500 drive away they have a lot of kit included.
Old 27-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sumodog: I'd suggest you go and drive both of them back to back. There is quite a difference.

Hally: If you've driven the ASX for work, then you'd know they come in manual (6 speed) ONLY.

The X-Trail is a foot longer and 3 inches higher than the ASX. The ASX is one of the most fuel efficient SUV's available (second only to the Mazda CX-5 diesel) and can be had for around $37k drive away.

I'd suggest you have a look at one to see if they suit your needs. If it's too small, then at least you've covered all options!

If you can do without the manual, I would suggest looking at a Hyundai ix35 too.
Old 27-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #11
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

I'd personally overlook the X-Trail and go for the Skoda Yeti TDI manual instead if you're looking for a fun to drive SUV.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sumodog: I'd suggest you go and drive both of them back to back. There is quite a difference.

Hally: If you've driven the ASX for work, then you'd know they come in manual (6 speed) ONLY.

The X-Trail is a foot longer and 3 inches higher than the ASX. The ASX is one of the most fuel efficient SUV's available (second only to the Mazda CX-5 diesel) and can be had for around $37k drive away.

I'd suggest you have a look at one to see if they suit your needs. If it's too small, then at least you've covered all options!

If you can do without the manual, I would suggest looking at a Hyundai ix35 too.
There is definately a difference - having said that i actually prefer X-Trail - ASX ride is not to my taste - too harsh on our bumpy roads. I 've got dogs and ride MTB - X-Trail is spaceous and practical enough ASX is not .
It comes down to what do
you want from a car.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #13
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Another suggestion if you didn't mind the Xtrail is the Renault Koleos it's pretty much a Renault X Trail (co developed with it's 30% partner Nissan).

The petrol version has Nissan's bulletproof 2.5L engine and according to one review I read is mated to one of the best cvt transmissions they have seen.

Plus if you go for the 4x4 it also has the easy click switch.

My wife's had one for the past year and what a fantastic car to drive. All of the Nissan engine and drive train with Renault's attention to detail.

Just an alternative suggestion, plus the used ones are quite cheap and low kms.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
Hally

Nic85 - Our fleet one at work is definately an auto, so it it mustn't be a deisel. I will check it again. We have about 8 different cars for staff to use so I might of mixed it up with one of the others.

I am really suprised that thee is only 3 inches difference in height.

SirHenry - I drove a Koleos a couple of years ago, and whilst ok it didn't do much or me. I really want a deisel/manual combination on the X-Trail size vehicle. On something like the Jeep or even Territory size I now I have no choice.

At then end of the day I don't need full 4wd capability (low range etc), I just want a high ridung wagon that gives me a bit more practicallity than my current sedan so I am open to options.
Old 27-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
My32Doors

One word -nissan. Never buy another one.
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #16
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My parents own one, it's been a reasonably good car but did have some major issues early on. The gearbox and transfer case were replaced at the first service due to Nissan grossly under filling them and the PDI at the selling dealer not picking it up.

Since then it's been pretty good with only a couple of minor things. They have a manual diesel and it goes pretty well for what it is and gets excellent economy.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68
There is definately a difference - having said that i actually prefer X-Trail - ASX ride is not to my taste - too harsh on our bumpy roads. I 've got dogs and ride MTB - X-Trail is spaceous and practical enough ASX is not .
It comes down to what do
you want from a car.
This line lends me to believe you haven't driven an ASX. They're very soft riding and very comfortable over bumps. They ride a lot softer than Tiguan, SX4, CX7 and ix35, to name a few. The XTrail is more truck like in the way it drives, comparatively.
Old 28-04-2012, 09:26 AM   #18
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This line lends me to believe you haven't driven an ASX. They're very soft riding and very comfortable over bumps. They ride a lot softer than Tiguan, SX4, CX7 and ix35, to name a few. The XTrail is more truck like in the way it drives, comparatively.

I hope you sell a few ASXs and Outlanders today :-)
Old 28-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #19
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own one, I don't work for Mitsubishi, .

I'm just talking from my personal experience. The missus and I test drove a heap of cars before we decided on the ASX. It's a great car but doesn't suit everyone.

I just mentioned it for the OP to look at. It might be too small for his needs, but it's maybe a car he didn't think about before. That's all.
Old 28-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm just talking from my personal experience. The missus and I test drove a heap of cars before we decided on the ASX. It's a great car but doesn't suit everyone.

I just mentioned it for the OP to look at. It might be too small for his needs, but it's maybe a car he didn't think about before. That's all.
That is ok Nic85 - it is a friendly discussion - i dont think ASX would be a bad purchase -we have driven most small SUV but i might of mixed it up with ix35 as far as ride harshness goes , it was a while ago...
Old 28-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #21
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would go with your original choice
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Have you ever owned a Ford, or even made one single comment on this forum in a positive light about a Ford? Every post you make praises vehicles from other manufacturers, makes me wonder why you are a member here thats all.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #23
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Have you ever owned a Ford, or even made one single comment on this forum in a positive light about a Ford? Every post you make praises vehicles from other manufacturers, makes me wonder why you are a member here thats all.
Are you saying if I don't own a Ford that I'm not welcome to be on this forum?
Old 28-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #24
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Are you saying if I don't own a Ford that I'm not welcome to be on this forum?

I think your welcome if that matters. Regardless what your garage bares.
But if in the event you do carry on about Ford but praise all other makes, then with that in mind, no your not welcome.
Im not saying you are doing that, but if you are, then frankly your in the wrong neck of the woods.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #25
GYRKIN GT

Hi Hally.

We bought our X-Trail TS manual diesel in December, 2009. Most of our mileage is done on the F3 between Hornsby and the Central Coast(NSW). It has now covered 46,000 kilometres.

Economy wise, it averages 6.7 litre/100k's. It is still on it's original tyres and there's probably another 5,000 to 8,000 kilometres of wear left.

Re Performance, the thing still amazes me. It's not super quick off the mark but it's no slouch either. Once it's up and running, with 360nM, it just rockets along. Don't know if you know the F3, but there's a couple of long significant hills. Just leave it in 6th, put the foot down a bit, and the thing just takes off. Never have to change down and the damn thing leaves a hell of a lot of other cars falling behind. It's brilliant.

The sole issue we've had with it was a slight water leak coming from the high central brake light in the rear door. This happened when the car was about 12 months old. Apparently, this was a common fault involving the original rubber gasket perishing. Nissan replaced it immediately and no problems since.

There's one thing you need to be aware of. The diesel needs a good run every so often to burn the crap off the particle filter. If you're only in city traffic, the filter will clog and you'll get an warning light. We've never suffered the problem because it's on the F3 all the time. The problem is not specific to Nissan, its apparently common to all the new diesels.

Would we buy another diesel X-Trail? You betcha. In a heartbeat. As I said, it's been brilliant. Furthermore, and most importantly to us, it's saved us from using our GT for day to day driving.

Hope this helps
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #26
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
I think your welcome if that matters. Regardless what your garage bares.
But if in the event you do carry on about Ford but praise all other makes, then with that in mind, no your not welcome.
Im not saying you are doing that, but if you are, then frankly your in the wrong neck of the woods.
Fair dinkum. I suggested someone look at another car, and it's not a Ford.
Old 28-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #27
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have the petrol CVT X-trail, and the only complaint i have about it, is the road noise, 27k kms, on the original tyres, with plently left to go but they are loud, will definitely looking at a different brand come replacement time.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #28
Hally

Gyrkin & NC,

Thanks for your input. I took a second hand one (2011, 19,000kms) for about an hours drive yesterday through the Dandenong's and it re-affirmed why it is on my short-list. Torque was great, nice gearshift etc and I really felt comfortable in it.

Re the comment about the F#, I know it well having spent plenty of time up that way over the years. I am actually suprised by how quiet inside the X-Trail is at freeway speeds. Not comparing it to anything in particular, just me perception based on expectation of this type of car.

With Nissan myself i am happy with the brand reliability and the warranty service. I have had my Maxima nearly four years and the only warranty claim I had was a bluetooth module which was fixed straight away. i haven't even changed a bulb in the thing.

Last step is to get the right deal. I am close with one dealer (but no happy with the colour he has in stock) so hopefully something will come out of it in the next week or so.

As an aside, the Series 5 is being launched in a couple of weeks. No major changes (on Ti & TL) other than a All round view camera system (rear, front and side cameras that give like a helicaopter view of the car), but the AV system is down graded in my opinion. Going from a 7inch screen to 5 inch, loses DVD functionality and the Sat Nav loses live traffic updates.

Cheers,

Hally
Old 29-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #29
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

great opportunity to wring a bargain out of the dealer on the current model then if a new ones coming!
IceValk85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #30
Hally

Ice,

Actually not a lot of stock in the model I want, especially in a colour I like. A couple of dealers have confirmed list pricing remains the same with the updated model. It is only a minor update with no exterior changes.