Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-04-2007, 03:05 PM   #1
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Lane Cove Tunnel - Speed Camera's

Does anyone know when the speed cameras in the tunnel officially turned on?

I have been driving through it for the last month and noticed that there have been no warning signs. In NSW they have to have a warning sign for a fixed camera, so I have not really been pedantically watching the speedo through there. It is 80, I have probably been sitting around 80-90 for the last month.

But this morning I noticed big warning signs about the cameras so I did 79 the whole way.

I am pretty sure the signs only appeared today but I am paranoid now.

I really hope I dont have 1 months worth of <15km/h fines in the mail... :

1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

hehe that would not be nice !
I'm sure I noticed radar warning from city end into the tunnel heading west but now you got me thinking lol.....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
kwonie
Be the Reds!

You should right.

Once the camersa have been installed and the signs been put up then it should start working, not before I think.
kwonie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #4
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

pretty sure I saw the radar component at the entrances pointing into the tunnel. Also I believe the signs have been up for quite a while. Maybe they're paying for the months free usage we get?
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
grange
Starter Motor

If you keep an eye out , you will see the west bound camera just as the tunnel starts to flatten out at the bottom. As for signs , the M5 does not have signs either telling you exactly where the camera is.
grange is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #6
MRJUCY
Fordless

The signs have been there since before the tunnel opened they do the same on the Harbour Tunnel & M5 as mentioned as it used to be obvious in the Harbour Tunnel right in the middle so they weren't really working as a detriment as people still tried to see who could get the top speed on the way back up so now they don't make them as obvious in tunnels.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
The signs have been there since before the tunnel opened .
I really really hope they havn't been. But if they have, then I have been driving through there for one month at around 10 over. This calculation would be a worse case scenario.

- 20 work days, 3 camera's per tunnel (morning, and afternoon), $77 per fine, therefore 20*3*2*77

= $9,240 and 360 demerit points.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 23-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I really really hope they havn't been. But if they have, then I have been driving through there for one month at around 10 over. This calculation would be a worse case scenario.

- 20 work days, 3 camera's per tunnel (morning, and afternoon), $77 per fine, therefore 20*3*2*77

= $9,240 and 360 demerit points.
holy **** id like to hope not for your sake. However wouldnt the first fine have been recieved by now? Dont fines only take a week or two to come, i may be wrong.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

They are in there, i have spotted them. One city bound about 400 mtrs in, just before you start heading up the hill.

M2 bound, there is two, again about 500 mtrs in, and another just past the pacific highway on ramp, right where it goes to three lanes...

They aren't working as of yet.

Oh and for the M7, time trial (aka point to point) is undergoing testing there.......

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 09:11 PM   #10
J_Tank
Bring on the Boss

ing_sm Stuff point to point. What's next? Black Boxes with wireless connection to a central Hub + bank account details so if we speed the fine can be automatically deducted from our accounts??
woops I hope keepleft doesnt see that.... he'd think it a good idea! :gren:
J_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cameras have been in there all along, as too had the signs, which at least west bound were installed before the tunnel had even opened.

A P Plater was nicked doing 120km/h in the tunnel within 1 hour of the tunnel opening, however I don't know whether that was a police car or speed camera.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #12
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought cameras were put up in known black spots to kerb the carnage
How is the LCT a black spot as it has only been open for a month
That is my impressions on speed cameras
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Well ... there's a new camera now entering the M2 tunnel westbound ... as soon as they change the speed limit from 100km/h to 70km/h ... they are makiong sure people do it now with a camera in place.

I reckon it'll cause more problems with people slamming brakes on because they see the camera at the last second.

Nothing to do with blackspots ... all to do with revenue raising. Nothing has changed.

I hope the point to point system doesn't go ahead on the M7 ... but i'd dare say it will though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #14
EFDream
XRR83D

Don't mean to post whore but aren't the cameras northbound on the F3 point to point?

2007 Suzuki Swift - Pearl Red
Povo Pack

EFDream is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 09:32 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Not sure ... I know the Safe-T-Cam units for trucks are P-2-P ... but the speed cameras are just for the spot they are actually monitoring ... otherwise they'd be taking photos of every vehicle that passes both points and then calculating.

Has been a little while since i went up the F3 ... but the new camera was in place when i di travel along there ... I don't remember seeing it go off when I went passed it.
Old 25-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
GTP-FPV
Black Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Well ... there's a new camera now entering the M2 tunnel westbound ... as soon as they change the speed limit from 100km/h to 70km/h ... they are makiong sure people do it now with a camera in place.

I reckon it'll cause more problems with people slamming brakes on because they see the camera at the last second.

Nothing to do with blackspots ... all to do with revenue raising. Nothing has changed.

I hope the point to point system doesn't go ahead on the M7 ... but i'd dare say it will though.

Any idea when the camera entering the tunnel on the M2 started operating? i do remember seeing them fiddling around with it on monday arvo...
GTP-FPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #17
EFDream
XRR83D

I drive it every day....but haven't seen them "flash" as such....I'm just told they record every veichle that goes past.....I maybe wrong but I tell you....there as so many near accidents coz everyone jumps on the brakes....them accelerates away only to jump on them again 1 k up the road!

2007 Suzuki Swift - Pearl Red
Povo Pack

EFDream is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 09:36 PM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

as far as i know it is operational now ... there was a testing sign with the flashing 70km/h sign ... but I am pretty sure it is in affect now.

Also LCT is now charging after midnight tonight as well ... so traffic is going to be hell off at Delhi Rd as everyone is going to exit there ... it's going to make my trip up to work (in Chatswood) hell ... I think I am going to get off earlier and go via Lady Game Drive.

I am on nightshift at the moment ... I might head out for a drive and see ... I am not going to test the camera though ... hee hee
Old 25-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #19
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

i dread point to point on M7. Once it happens there, it will be everywhere.. Pacific Highway.......................

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

And once it is in .... RTA will then get legislation to use Safe-T-Cam to monitor speed and distance for ALL vehicles ... at the moment it is set to larger vehicles (markings on the road can distinguish size.

So they already have the hardware state-wide to use it in place ... all they have to do is get the go ahead.
Old 25-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #21
VSSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF XR8
I thought cameras were put up in known black spots to kerb the carnage
How is the LCT a black spot as it has only been open for a month
That is my impressions on speed cameras
Since the 70 signs went up there have been 3 serious prangs that I am aware of in the westbound m2 tunnel. Idiots changing lanes to overtake people doing the limit. I'm guessing they and LCT don't want a repeat of the melbourne incident.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 10:13 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

The problem isn't speed though ... it's the idiots doing road planning squeezing another lane in where there really shouldn't be a lane.

And it is all to do with driver education .... or lack thereof really.

The amount of idiots I had to deal with along Windsor Rd and M2 tonight in the rain ... fair enough ... wipe 5km/h off the speed limit ... but not 30km/h and hog all lanes.
Old 25-04-2007, 10:54 PM   #23
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
The cameras have been in there all along, as too had the signs, which at least west bound were installed before the tunnel had even opened.

A P Plater was nicked doing 120km/h in the tunnel within 1 hour of the tunnel opening, however I don't know whether that was a police car or speed camera.
Speaking to a friend who worked on the project, the cameras have definitely been operational since open day last month (But he also told me that if you speed in the opposite direction, the camera will not catch you, but you can't really do that now can you). I also heard on the news that it didn't take too long before a P-Plater was busted speeding after the tunnel opened.

And I also believe that tunnels and bridges don't have to be blackspots for them to contain speed cameras. I think has got to do with the fact that accidents could potentially cause huge chaos, and thus speed cameras are allowed to be used from the day the bridge or tunnel opens.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 07:25 AM   #24
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm...so operational since day one - looks like the waiting game now begins. I have no idea how long it is going to take to get rid of 360 demerit points....

Old 26-04-2007, 07:53 AM   #25
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
Hmm...so operational since day one - looks like the waiting game now begins. I have no idea how long it is going to take to get rid of 360 demerit points....
Lets hope they 'missed,' hey... otherwise I wouldn't want to be in your shoes right now.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 08:00 AM   #26
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
The problem isn't speed though ... it's the idiots doing road planning squeezing another lane in where there really shouldn't be a lane.

And it is all to do with driver education .... or lack thereof really.

The amount of idiots I had to deal with along Windsor Rd and M2 tonight in the rain ... fair enough ... wipe 5km/h off the speed limit ... but not 30km/h and hog all lanes.

hmm i travel down the M2 for my weekend work. on sunday on the way home, i dont recall seeing a camera there. there were the big flashy 70 signs but i was probably going a touch quicker than that. its too bloody slow on a multi lane freeway.

city bound is still 100 (i think) so why is west bound 70. its lame. oh well.
Old 26-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #27
GTP-FPV
Black Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
hmm i travel down the M2 for my weekend work. on sunday on the way home, i dont recall seeing a camera there. there were the big flashy 70 signs but i was probably going a touch quicker than that. its too bloody slow on a multi lane freeway.

The camera is just b4 u enter the M2 tunnel heading westbound, it is on the right hand side... Will be checking it out tomorrow afternoon on the way home from work, but from what i hear seems to be in operation. The camera as far as i know was only there from Monday onwards, so u will prob see it this w/e if you are driving past that way...
Old 26-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #28
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC

there was a accident in the tunnel one day, after that day its been residential street speeds on a motorway??, which you have to pay to go on???
but today i noticed the camera, was doing 100 :
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #29
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I think they should have made the signs variable like on the M4 and the M7 ... cos after a weekend nightshift ... driving west in the morning at 07:30am I am about the only vehicle on the M2 going that way ... and doing 70km/h through that section after several 12 hour night shift is very difficult. Fatigue is a killer ... literally.

And when I was used to doing the 100km/h through there previously ... and have to come back to 70km/h for a straight section of road ... and no one else on it ... it's bloody ridiculous.
Old 26-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #30
GTP-FPV
Black Beast

Quote:
I think they should have made the signs variable like on the M4 and the M7 ... cos after a weekend nightshift ... driving west in the morning at 07:30am I am about the only vehicle on the M2 going that way ... and doing 70km/h through that section after several 12 hour night shift is very difficult. Fatigue is a killer ... literally.

And when I was used to doing the 100km/h through there previously ... and have to come back to 70km/h for a straight section of road ... and no one else on it ... it's bloody ridiculous.

I hear u!! i dont see the point... they way i see it, is when u have cars used to going fast/speed limit, and some cars braking all of a sudden in a panic could only mean trouble!