Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Teflon Turbo
Banned

Exclamation Before & After

Ford, Please!!!

Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

+1

I'd be happy with a Retro 4 door.

P.S. someone is just going to paste in the BF Cobra 302.
Old 18-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well it basicly ticks all the same boxes as the XC Cobra - sticker package, Cobra badging more powerful engine, white/blue stripes..

only thing wrong is it has 2 more doors.. Coupe BA falcon would have been awesome
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
SVTVNM
Guzzler

I reckon a retro Falcon 4 door based on XR/T shape using mustang style interior would be awesome!! Probably the only shape that could be styled into a realastic retro Falcon
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
I reckon a retro Falcon 4 door based on XR/T shape using mustang style interior would be awesome!! Probably the only shape that could be styled into a realastic retro Falcon
It's a brilliant concept, and really would fire up a lot of buyers. It builds on Falcon's strength of being a 50 year strong brand with heaps of heritage.

For mine, the best thing about it is that Holden has no answer using the Commodore brand name. Ford has already shown with the Mustang how nostalgia sells.

The FG's a great car but where it falls down is the 'heart' factor. Its styling is too much of a refinement of the BA-F series.
Old 18-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Teflon Turbo
Banned

would also love to see them in x/a/b/c/landau too....

i think holden failed with the modern day monaro (aka 2 door commodore) because it was just that and very weak looking and no similarities between old and new.

all those cars above have similarities between old and new.

this is where FORD in Australia can take advantage.
Old 18-08-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Is this spot the difference?

If so;

American

American

American

Australian - Odd one out so not enough monies. Well except for the BF Cobra so it's been done.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Redmund
Banned

I would be first in line if Ford brought out a new 2 door which resembled the classic 2 door lines.
Redmund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #9
Teflon Turbo
Banned

you party pooper, it's a fantasy of mine ok??

btw, i aint knocking the 4 door cobra.
Old 18-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon Turbo
i think holden failed with the modern day monaro (aka 2 door commodore) because it was just that and very weak looking and no similarities between old and new.
The only reason Monaro saw the light of day was because the VT was such a market success. If Ford had a hit with a retro sedan it would be the coupes best chance for a rebirth.
Old 18-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

An FG coupe would look way better.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets Face it the Australian market is not big enough for a proper retro venture.

We're lucky we got the BF Cobra but it's not a retro version of anything just a special based on the current model.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
Michael_F90

I thinks the markets big enough.
How many people here would buy a new falcon coupe ?
especially if it strongly resembled an xa/b/c, much like the new dodge challenger. I for one would be at the dealer tomorrow!

So long as they didn't base it on the FG or BA/BF and they made it retro styled (XA/B/C) they would sell plenty I reckon.
Michael_F90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_F90
I thinks the markets big enough.
How many people here would buy a new falcon coupe ?
especially if it strongly resembled an xa/b/c, much like the new dodge challenger. I for one would be at the dealer tomorrow!

So long as they didn't base it on the FG or BA/BF and they made it retro styled (XA/B/C) they would sell plenty I reckon.
How many? I honestly think not many. There is a difference between saying you'll buy one after a few coldies at the pub and actually going out and dropping the better part of $80 to 100K and buying one.

Every big coupe has failed to sell in great numbers why would a falcon coupe not repeat history and fail to sell again.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

They didnt have much trouble selling monaros! even though they were purely a two door commodore, they had nothing to do with being a kingswood

And there is more fanfare for the Falcon Coupes then what there was for the monaros, i cant see why it would be a bad idea

And hell, they could chuck in a smaller motor with it being a smaller car and make it seem good and go the environmental route on it.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 09:59 PM   #16
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Unfortunately this great land of ours needs to be populated by five times the amount of people to ever warrant a retro car, but since this thread popped up I can't stop thinking of how hot a retro falcon would look. Would be on my wish list!!!
Old 18-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #17
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTVNM
Unfortunately this great land of ours needs to be populated by five times the amount of people to ever warrant a retro car, but since this thread popped up I can't stop thinking of how hot a retro falcon would look. Would be on my wish list!!!
The way I see it, if they're going to build a 'new generation' Falcon post 2015 they're going to have to replace every panel on the car anyway, what’s the difference if it’s a contemporary or retro style?

The only reason they weren’t adventurous with the FG is because Ford AU got burnt with the AU. All the market research Ford did with BA-F owners confirmed they were happy with the styling of the vehicle so they stayed on the same theme. The only problem with that is in a shrinking market you don’t pick up any new business. Those who liked the BA were always going to like the FG, but those looking for something different have stayed away.

You can’t question the importance of styling with respect to a new model and a firm statement would put Falcon back on the map. I believe this is true above class leading fuel consumption or a 5 star NCAP safety rating. Just ask anyone about the new Camaro or Mustang and they’d tell you they don’t care how it drives, they want, in fact lust after them because they look the business. Hell, a four cylinder Honda Accord Euro looks tougher than an FG. I’d rather Falcon go out in a hail of gunfire draped in muscle rather than with a whimper dressed in a neat cardigan.
Old 19-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #18
SVTVNM
Guzzler

It would be unlikely the average punter would choose a retro Falcon over it's competitors. There would need to be a solid other option from Ford and I don't rekon the Mondeo is big enough to fill that gap, don't forget the Yanks have about another 3-5 choices from each car maker that is making these Retro rockets.
Old 19-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with a retro styled car is, after the novelty wore off, it would date very quickly, think 300 C .

No car maker in Australia (or in the world now) is in a position to update retro styling quick enough to keep it viable.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #20
Teflon Turbo
Banned

i keep thinking how the original cobras came about and the high demand of all those coupes in general. I mean people are paying 20K for rust infested ones that arent even gts or gs models.

i regret having sold mine, it's a god damn aussie icon, motorsport icon and movie icon.

i reckon it's huge advantage for ford to have over the w427 for example.

one day people, hopefully within our lifetime....
Old 19-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i keep thinking how the original cobras came about and the high demand of all those coupes in general. I mean people are paying 20K for rust infested ones that arent even gts or gs models.

i regret having sold mine, it's a god damn aussie icon, motorsport icon and movie icon.

i reckon it's huge advantage for ford to have over the w427 for example.

one day people, hopefully within our lifetime....
The original Cobras came about from Ford having excess coupe shells sitting around and needed something to move them out...

Old 19-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #22
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
The original Cobras came about from Ford having excess coupe shells sitting around and needed something to move them out...

Even then they struggled, IIRC.
Old 19-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #23
Teflon Turbo
Banned

i should have gone the poll thread...
Old 19-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #24
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
i should have gone the poll thread...
It doesn't look like anyone's got the stomach for it (Especially not Ford AU).

I'm sure a 'leaked' sketch on the cover of Wheels or Motor Mags would change everyones opinions though.

The commemorative Ford "collect-a-plate" thread is going gang busters though, makes you wonder....

Last edited by R-Design; 19-08-2009 at 04:01 PM.
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #25
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All of the 'After' cars are as ugly as a .........
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-FKD
They didnt have much trouble selling monaros! even though they were purely a two door commodore, they had nothing to do with being a kingswood
Actually the new Monaro didn't sell that well at all. Hence it was dropped and won't return with a VE version.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #27
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Actually the new Monaro didn't sell that well at all. Hence it was dropped and won't return with a VE version.
I hate to stick up for GM on this one but I disagree. The Monaro dominated the Sports Car segment in Australia, and while that isn't huge numbers I'm pretty sure they were selling double their nearest competitor. The car was exported to the USA and other markets as the GTO. The second generation model (VE - Zeta) has been released as a Camaro in the USA and is selling like hotcakes.

I wonder what Ford AU's world would be like today if GRWD had been adopted. A Falcon based Mustang with Coyote V8 would sure be interesting.
Old 20-08-2009, 04:06 PM   #28
Teflon Turbo
Banned

just curious...

are the modern 4 door cobras considered a success?
Old 20-08-2009, 04:19 PM   #29
FPV GT40
Banned

Quote:
just curious...

are the modern 4 door cobras considered a success?
They all sold (mostly) so they I would say yes, as they acieved the purpose of FPV to sell 500 cars in a hurry...

Ford was unable to sell enough Coupes in the 70's to make it worth while, so why would it be any different now? The Original Cobra was build to get rid of all the Coupe shells they could not sell, and the same was repeated with the BF Cobra, quick way to shift the BF's out before the FG got released.

Most families with 2 kids need a 4 door car hence I believe the success of the XR8's and FPV cars....allowing the family man to own and drive a factory muscle(?)/sports(?)/ pefomance car, yet in most cases keep the missus happy at the same time (happy enough anyway ).....

And like Stefan said thousands of people will say yeah I'd buy one(retro 2 door Falcon), but when it came time to apply for a second mortagage or draw 80K out of the bank to take to your local Ford dealer for a car thats completely impractical ....I doubt most saying yes now would drop out of the deal, as the missus would put her foot down and say no way....

Last edited by FPV GT40; 20-08-2009 at 04:26 PM.
FPV GT40 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 06:35 PM   #30
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The monaro was not a sales success. Local sales didn't cover development and tooling costs. They only fell 300 cars short of the break even point, tho.

The GTO pulled the monaro out of the mire. When monaro was released, it looked like a vt. That was fine until VY came along and made the munro look like a 6 year old commie.

The GTO wasn't the sales success Pontiac hoped for either.

A two-door wouldn't sell enough in AUS to make it viable.
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post