Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

Default stupid speed limiter

would there be a way to remove the speed limiter on any falcon?
because i dont hear of it happening but there would have to be some way hey?

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
Old 11-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

yes it can be removed with a chiptorque chip but the question is why do you want to remove it?

If its got a limiter its there because the tailshaft cant handle much more than that. Personally after hearing a few stories I certainly wouldnt want to remove the limiter on and AU and risk having the tailshaft visit me in the cabin at over 180kph.

If its an XR then it probably would have a limiter in excess of 210kph and theres just no reason or place to go over that.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:26 PM   #3
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

lol what about in the northern territory, it would be annoying having buddies with you in the northern territory no limit area, having them thrash you because they can go excess 250k in their HSV's, im not saying i want to actually do it, heck i dont even have a car, just quering on the subject.
then theres the autobahn lol

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust

18" tyhpoons
spoilerless
Old 11-07-2005, 05:30 PM   #4
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I'm thinking a driveshaft failure in the middle of nowhere in the NT trying to keep up would be a little more annoying.. . :

Old 11-07-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

lol i spose, but then how come HSV's can go that fast or are holden just stupid and not know there limits lijke ford do???

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust

18" tyhpoons
spoilerless
Old 11-07-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

holden have long had 2 piece tailshafts, hell my VK had a 2 piece, ford like doing things the hard way and have had one of the longest 1 piece tailshafts in the world for quite some time, id love to remove mine but yea, drastic effects if you do and it breaks, ill consider it once i upgrade the drive train a bit more and get a balanced tailshaft or a 2 piece.

BA's have a 2 piece and still limited to 200 or 210, dont know the reason for that one, maybe just a mechanical 'protection' than out of nessasity like pre BA's.

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 11-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Also not all tyres are made to handle excessive speeds. That could be another reason for the limiters.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16wantsI6
lol i spose, but then how come HSV's can go that fast or are holden just stupid and not know there limits lijke ford do???
Ok I agree with Casper, its there for a reason and if you wanna push the boundaries of something like that youre asking for trouble, i.e. tailshaft in the back of the head.

Holden have different tailshafts to Fords hence their ability to tolerate slightly higher speeds on stock (i.e. non performance) tailshafts. But let me tell you they certainly are no picnic nor do they feel the safest vehicle when theyre punting along at 200kms plus. One of my scariest moments was doing that in a VY exec on a private track (and yes it was a track). I'll never do it again.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #9
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
would there be a way to remove the speed limiter on any falcon?
because i dont hear of it happening but there would have to be some way hey?

Yes there are ways to remove speed limiting there are ways to remove the finger guards from a circular saw too, and I'm not going to give any clues on how to do either. They are there for a reason!!

If you need to ask how, then it's not something you should EVER contemplate doing.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:31 PM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Statistic

I was driving behind a F150 oneday when something let go (clutch maybe) and the tailshaft came flying out from behind the car. No idea which way it was going. It hit the concrete barrier and came flying into my lane. Luckily we were only doing about 60. But I had to hit the brakes hard and take the cross country route. Imagine doing 250 in a car and the tailshaft lets go. If it comes out the back, i pity the poor bastard who's gonna be on the end of it. trying to swerve to miss an object flying at you at 250k's and hour, I can smell a fatality.

Let me know and I'll be sure to watch the news.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:33 PM   #11
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by micmansour
Also not all tyres are made to handle excessive speeds. That could be another reason for the limiters.
funny that i read in an old street machine that when they first made radial tyres, they had produced tyres to withstand speeds of over 200mph...

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust

18" tyhpoons
spoilerless
Old 11-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #12
parawolf
beep beep

Does anyone know if its possible to get an aftermarket custom made two piece tailshaft and balanced for an e-series?
Old 11-07-2005, 08:38 PM   #13
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
funny that i read in an old street machine that when they first made radial tyres, they had produced tyres to withstand speeds of over 200mph...

Read the fine print! Even Z and W rated tyres only have to maintain those speed for a few minutes to receive certification. Not 4 hrs across rutted, pot-holed NT roads in 40°+ heat.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #14
buickman
buickman

Why would you go that fast for as isn't there enough roadside crosses & flowers to remind the motorist how dangerous it is on the roads.

There is a lot of considerations not just outright speed

1 Roadworthy cond of car & there is a lot of POS that can go fast & that is all they can do.

2 Drivers ability to drive at those speeds & read the conditions even in the N.T.

3 Other motorists rights to drive without being endangered by some selfish fool

If you need to go fast take your car to a drag strip where the conditions are more controlled.
buickman
Old 11-07-2005, 08:52 PM   #15
347Stroker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Does anyone know if its possible to get an aftermarket custom made two piece tailshaft and balanced for an e-series?
Petron Automotive in Slacks Creek Brisbane do a good one...
Old 11-07-2005, 08:58 PM   #16
greyute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Statistic

I was driving behind a F150 oneday when something let go (clutch maybe) and the tailshaft came flying out from behind the car. No idea which way it was going. It hit the concrete barrier and came flying into my lane. Luckily we were only doing about 60. But I had to hit the brakes hard and take the cross country route. Imagine doing 250 in a car and the tailshaft lets go. If it comes out the back, i pity the poor bastard who's gonna be on the end of it. trying to swerve to miss an object flying at you at 250k's and hour, I can smell a fatality.

Let me know and I'll be sure to watch the news.
If you were doing 250kpa you probably wouldnt have even seen the tailshaft.
SORRY just gaging.. lol
16wantsi6 probably would love to become a caterpault when the front uni lets go, or maby not, scary thought!!!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #17
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyute
If you were doing 250kpa you probably wouldnt have even seen the tailshaft.
SORRY just gaging.. lol
16wantsi6 probably would love to become a caterpault when the front uni lets go, or maby not, scary thought!!!!!
At that speed it wont catapult.. it will just spear into the back of the car. Hmm, fuel and sparks at 200kph... yeehaaa!

Old 11-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #18
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
Read the fine print! Even Z and W rated tyres only have to maintain those speed for a few minutes to receive certification. Not 4 hrs across rutted, pot-holed NT roads in 40°+ heat.
Not only for a few minutes, they are probably nitrogen filled, been sitting in tyre warmers for a few hours and been x-rayed to start with.

If you don't know why the limiter is there you shouldn't be thinking about taking it off.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #19
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

whoah i was just quering on the subject not creating a political debate, anyways im not worried i would not plan to do anything like that ever unless like in a highly modded car, so yeah even then it would be sh!t scary!

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust

18" tyhpoons
spoilerless
Old 11-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #20
greyute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
At that speed it wont catapult.. it will just spear into the back of the car. Hmm, fuel and sparks at 200kph... yeehaaa!
At least with a hole in the back like that some FOURM members could fit a fooly sick SUB WOOFER in it!!
Things could be worse.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:13 PM   #21
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
At least with a hole in the back like that some FOURM members could fit a fooly sick SUB WOOFER in it!!
Things could be worse.
Bwahahahahahhaahaha :hihi:

Old 11-07-2005, 09:22 PM   #22
greyute

Quote:
Bwahahahahahhaahaha :hihi:
Don't you mean DOOF DOOF DOOF DOOF DOOF ...........
Old 11-07-2005, 09:25 PM   #23
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
........ would love to become a caterpault when the front uni lets go, or maby not, scary thought!!!!!
I HAD a friend lose front uni in a Torana at 160Kph + , the car was torn in half , wasn't a pretty sight. Everything has limits....
Old 11-07-2005, 09:46 PM   #24
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah removing the limiter would be something you would do AFTER you had bought the best tailshaft and tyres money can buy, i was lucky when this let go in my LEXUS powered XF falcon ute, LPgas line and brake lines were torn from the car(lucky they didn't puncture) the hole in the floor is right next to the petrol tank.

the fact that i put 3.45 gears in from 2.92 means the shaft is spinning faster also for any given speed, when this let go i was no where even close to the ford speed limiter(i was doing a bit over 100Kmh but under hard accelleration) the lexus in america is speed limited to 150MPH
buckled the floor, rooted the diff too.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:35 PM   #25
ms_fpv

Quote:

Casper, I remember years ago at the drags, the 1st thing looked for by the scrutineers was a tailshaft "loop" (To stop it spearing into the tarmac)
On the subject of AU utes... anything over 180 is a disaster waiting to happen! I have done 200+(a lot) in one.. (unlimited road naturally).. And the vibration nearly shakes ya teeth out!
When I told a certain Performance Mods man (Who'd done my 250kw upgrade, & a greatly respected sponser on here), His words were.. "You F***ING idiot, Mr Wool...

Old 13-07-2005, 01:58 AM   #26
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Are there tail shaft loops for Au's & what is the strongest tailshaft /uni joint comb?
Old 08-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #27
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Bucknaked]Statistic

Imagine doing 250 in a car and the tailshaft lets go. If it comes out the back, i pity the poor bastard who's gonna be on the end of it. trying to swerve to miss an object flying at you at 250k's and hour, I can smell a fatality.

i'd dare say at 250km/h there wouldn't be anyone behind you at that speed, unless they'e giving their car a thumping aswell
Old 08-01-2006, 02:43 PM   #28
SVR73
Mr Polish

Casper may correct me here (not sure) but I think AU XR's do not have a speed limiter, although I haven't taken my VCT that quick speed, went well beyond that in my XB coupe

For those that are interested, there is a driveshaft/balancing place in geelong and hardy spicer here in SA who can make custom shafts if you want to do those wicked speeds (please do in NT or on the track)

My tyres are rated at 280 km/h but like people have said, maintaining that speed for a long period may be too much for them

So if you want to boogie - change final gear ratio - 2.7-3.2, get a stronger shaft made and ultra high performance tyres
Old 08-01-2006, 02:53 PM   #29
stiddy
Banned

Anyone watching mythbusters at the moment??

they are purposely dropping the front unijoint of the tail shaft while doing 35mph into a pot hole to see what happens...
like its on right now..
foxtel ch 630 (discovery)
Old 08-01-2006, 02:55 PM   #30
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
Casper may correct me here (not sure) but I think AU XR's do not have a speed limiter, although I haven't taken my VCT that quick speed,
as far as i know they dont....... :
Closed Thread