Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Captiva Series 2 Details

Updated styling, a Commodore engine and reduced prices headline the new Captiva SUV range.

Holden has stretched the gap between its Captiva 5 and 7 models with the launch of its updated Captiva Series II. The two models now feature significantly different front-end styling as well as a number of tweaks under the skin, including the adoption of the Commodore's 3.0-litre V6 engine for the flagship model.

Holden has also cut the price across the entire new Captiva range as competition heats up in the booming SUV market; Ford's Territory - the most obvious rival for the Captiva - will be updated in April with the addition of a diesel engine for the first time.

Having pushed the current Holden Captiva 5 as a compact SUV and the Holden Captiva 7 as a medium-sized, Holden is taking the separation a step further with two distinctively different looks.

The five-seat Captiva 5 features a more angular look similar to the current model, while the seven-seat Captiva 7 sports more rectangular headlights and grille openings to better distinguish between the two.

There are even more significant changes to the updated new Captiva with new engines and transmissions.

Both new Captiva models continue to be offered in both front- and all-wheel drive configurations, catering to those who want off-road ability and those looking for an SUV with additional flexibility and chunky styling.

The Captiva 5 is now available with a turbo diesel engine along with an updated version of the 2.4-litre petrol engine.

The Captiva's new 2.2-litre diesel produces 135kW of power and 400Nm of torque and the company claims it uses an average 8.5L/100km in the 4WD five-seater.

The 2.4-litre petrol engine has had both a power and torque increase from 108kW to 123kW and 220Nm to 230Nm respectively. Fuel consumption has been reduced from 9.7L/100km to 9.1L/100km in the manual 2WD.

The new flagship engine for the Captiva 7 is the Australian-built direct injection 3.0-litre V6 from the Commodore. But while it offers a power increase of 12 per cent over the old 3.2-litre V6, torque drops from 297Nm to 288Nm. Fuel consumption is reduced from the old engine though, down to 11.3L/100km from 11.7.

In the Captiva 7 2WD the diesel engine returns 8.1L/100km and the 2.4 petrol engine manages 9.1L/100km.

All engines can now be mated to a six-speed automatic transmission, replacing the outgoing model's five-speed unit. A six-speed manual is only available on the Captiva 5 two-wheel drive petrol model.

Holden has retained the SX, CX and LX model designations for the Captiva 7.

The entry-level Captiva SX is only 2WD and is powered by either the 2.4 petrol or diesel engine and a standard automatic gearbox. Both the Captiva CX and Captiva LX are available with a choice of the diesel or V6 engines paired with the automatic transmission and all-wheel drive.

The Captiva SX rides on 17-inch alloy wheels, the Captiva CX on 18-inch and the Captiva LX on 19-inch wheels.

The Captiva 5 is a three-model line-up with the choice of 2WD petrol with manual or automatic and the all-wheel drive diesel automatic. All models ride on 17-inch alloy wheels.

The interior has also been given a styling update which includes the addition of an electric park brake that frees up more storage space.

The Captiva 7 comes standard with MP3 compatible sound system, Bluetooth phone and audio streaming, air-conditioning, leather wrapped steering wheel and cruise control.

The step up to the Captiva CX adds climate control air-conditioning, rear parking sensors and a trip computer.

The flagship Captiva LX includes a rear view camera, satellite navigation, leather seat trim, 7-inch touchscreen display and a USB input.

The Captiva 5 is equipped with six-disc MP3 compatible stereo, air-conditioning, leather wrapped steering wheel, front and rear parking sensors, cruise control, trip computer and trip computer across the range.

Holden has improved safety by making six-airbags standard across the entire new Captiva range along with hill start assist and hill descent control. Other standard safety features include electronic stability control, anti-lock brakes and active rollover protection.

The updated Captiva Series II range starts at the same price as the old model, with the Captiva 5 2WD petrol manual starting at $27,990 (plus government and dealer charges).

The automatic adds $2000 to the petrol model and the new diesel Captiva 5 starts at $33,990.

The Captiva 7 is priced from $32,490 for the new SX 2WD petrol.

The rest of the Captiva range has had a price reduction over the outgoing range as Holden tries to close the sales gap to the segment leading Toyota Prado and Kluger and upcoming new Ford Territory.

Prices have been cut by $2000 across the range. The diesel Captiva SX now costs $35,490, CX V6 $38,490, CX diesel $39,490, LX V6 $42,490 and LX diesel $43,490.

Last edited by csv8; 08-06-2011 at 10:48 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

It is still only a Captiva, but the pricing is sharp. $32,990 is a keen entry point for the basic FWD model.

Ford need to ensure that the superior Territory is also priced competitively. Getting early sales momentum is very important.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Holden has also cut the price across the entire new Captiva range as competition heats up in the booming SUV market; Ford's Territory - the most obvious rival for the Captiva - will be updated in April with the addition of a diesel engine for the first time.The new flagship engine for the Captiva 7 is the Australian-built direct injection 3.0-litre V6 from the Commodore. But while it offers a power increase of 12 per cent over the old 3.2-litre V6, torque drops from 297Nm to 288Nm. Fuel consumption is reduced from the old engine though, down to 11.3L/100km from 11.7.
Oh the irony. The Holden engine plant being a major beneficiary of Government grants, being used for Korean cars, to compete with and undercut the Falcon, Territory and commodore.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
Oh the irony. The Holden engine plant being a major beneficiary of Government grants, being used for Korean cars, to compete with and undercut the Falcon, Territory and commodore.
Recon that's bad?
The new Captiva uses basically the same PSA 2.2 diesel unit used in Mondeo, Transit and T6 Ranger.
I think Holden is on a winner with the new SIDI 2.4, SIDI 3.0 and 2.2 TDCI engines,
they seem to have so much of the market covered with basically one type of vehicle....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Have they gotten rid of the 1980s radio display yet?
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Have they gotten rid of the 1980s radio display yet?
Captiva 5 dash

Captiva 7 dash
Old 16-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #7
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In keeping with true Korean/Asian styling, ripping off someone elses design (Toyota Highlander front end) but not quite pulling it off; more conflicting lines than every Bangle BMW put together.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Captiva 5 dash

[/IMG]
Better but why are they using the old Astra radio and screen on the lower spec?

Old 16-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Front end is hiddeous.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #10
woteva

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
It is still only a Captiva, but the pricing is sharp. $32,990 is a keen entry point for the basic FWD model.

Ford need to ensure that the superior Territory is also priced competitively. Getting early sales momentum is very important.
Since when has the Territory been competing with the Captiva? Captiva would be more on par with an Escape I would have thought.
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by woteva
Since when has the Territory been competing with the Captiva? Captiva would be more on par with an Escape I would have thought.
For quite a long time.
Captiva is a mid sized SUV and yes it's narrower than Territory but it's wheelbase is similar length.
Old 16-02-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by woteva

Probably since FCAI decided to classify them both as Mid Size SUV's. And really, i guess cars dont even compete with cars in their own categories these days. Go out and buy a car for two adults and 2 kids, and you could pick from tens of cars and SUV's
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The front end certainly looks like it comes from Korea.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

What was that line from Predator that Arnold Schwarzenegger used the first time he saw the Predator?

Here's a hint, it contained a naughty word and wasnt too flattering of its looks...much like this car!

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #15
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
What was that line from Predator that Arnold Schwarzenegger used the first time he saw the Predator?

Here's a hint, it contained a naughty word and wasnt too flattering of its looks...much like this car!
"You are one....ugly...*Censored* "

I like it better than the series one. But having said that...refer to above Arnie quote.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #16
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure what the inspiration was for the front end, but I think Holden are onto a winner. The Captiva, much like the Cruze, isn't class leading, and doesn't particularly excel at anything other than in the value front, but it's a well rounded package, and while it lacks inspiration, it appeals to a large audience. And the sharp price will definitely help. It's up to the consumer now.
Old 16-02-2011, 11:13 PM   #17
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

Still reeks of cheap for my taste, If I were in the market I couldnt justify purchasing one over a territory even with the keen pricing.
Quality over quantity for me!
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 06:16 AM   #18
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its tacky yes its a dawoo yes but you know what, I've driven one and thought it was better to drive than my Territory a we have one in our company fleet at the moment and I'm watching it with interest becasue well I wont be buying another new ford I love my fords always have but the last batch of company cars and the POOR after sales service we received nation wide, I'm not putting my self through it again

for the 1st time ever my company car is a holden and I chose it and well I love it, its had 1 minor warranty issue in 10000ks / 5 months and that was taken care of at the 3000km service my territory was back 5 times in the same preiod

So sorry guys we keep bashing on about ford quality when in my experance it simply isnt there any more

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #19
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
two models now feature significantly different front-end styling
Looks more rounded yes, but when i looked, to me its not significant - more evolutional perhaps...
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #20
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Exterior isn't as ugly as some make out to be but the interior is a little tacky, looks ok but full of plastics that will mark badly.
Old 17-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #21
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I don't think it looks that bad, i'd never buy one but i think Ford has a fight on it's hands.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #22
Coyote mk3
Clutch Cable Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
Not sure what the inspiration was for the front end, but I think Holden are onto a winner. The Captiva, much like the Cruze, isn't class leading, and doesn't particularly excel at anything other than in the value front, but it's a well rounded package, and while it lacks inspiration, it appeals to a large audience. And the sharp price will definitely help. It's up to the consumer now.
So does this mean Holden are trying to become more like Toyota?
Making cars that lack inspiration, but because of this there is less to dislike about it - therefore be bought by more people.
HID projectors, lowered on King SL and Koni Shocks.

Daily - 2002 AUIII SR
Stock as she comes.

Coyote's EL XR6

^^Click Me^^

15.132@ 91.51 MPH

Photos by Me https://www.facebook.com/PhotosByMatthewWylie
Coyote mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden is doing something very smart to make them selfs look good in a sales list..

The have a Captiva 5 & Captiva 7 which are 2 very very different cars in 2 different sales classifications. But they call them both Captiva & therefore get added together & the number all of a sudden looks better for Captiva.. Same thing with the new Spark, they put a Barina in front & now it gets counts as a Barina & not a spark, making the barina number look better when it too is a very very different car to the spark..

Games I tell you!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #24
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Holden is doing something very smart to make them selfs look good in a sales list..

The have a Captiva 5 & Captiva 7 which are 2 very very different cars in 2 different sales classifications. But they call them both Captiva & therefore get added together & the number all of a sudden looks better for Captiva.. Same thing with the new Spark, they put a Barina in front & now it gets counts as a Barina & not a spark, making the barina number look better when it too is a very very different car to the spark..

Games I tell you!!
I dont think the sales number rank means as much as people think. Its more about the new vehicle being able to trade off an established name. Buyers want to buy a car that they are familiar with, hence using an already exisiting name.

Many car companies do it. Landcruiser Prado, is another one in which the parent vehicle is different, but which an established name adds a lot of sales. Passat CC, Pajero IO, Transit Connect, etc etc.

Its smart and cost-effective as building up a new nameplate can be very expensive and time consuming. Buying a car is a big financial and emotional decision, a lot of people find it reassuring buying a car which is well known.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #25
McobraR
me may my mo

Imo, it's more modern looking than the new Territory.
It has the style which modern cars are going for nowadays, i.e. more angular shoulder line, raised bonnet, design wise there's just more happening with the Captiva. I wouldn't be surprised if it outsells the Terri, which in my eyes, just looks like it got a front-end treatment, with a new set of rear lights.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 01:51 PM   #26
stang65
FPRJET

Nup don`t like it and **** do they look like BA xr6 rims.

AS for Ford service yeah it needs a kick up the ***, but don`t think holden service is much better, your kidding yourself.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #27
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
AS for Ford service yeah it needs a kick up the ***, but don`t think holden service is much better, your kidding yourself.
This. People still bagging Ford service when its not just them. I worked at a Holden dealer last year and saw first hand how bad they were. Heaps of disgruntled customers and knocked back warranty claims. If the Holden forums are anything to go by too, they are terrible.

Ford also scored way better in the service survey last year. Holden almost last.

As for the Captiva itself, they suffered a lot of niggling problems. We used have electrical dramas on some before they were even delivered.
Old 17-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #28
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
*snip*

Both new Captiva models continue to be offered in both front- and all-wheel drive configurations, catering to those who want off-road ability and those looking for an SUV with additional flexibility and chunky styling.

*snip*
Yep totally

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #29
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

a daewoo by any other name is still a piece of cr?p, dont care what engine is in it.
I cant beleive how many people are happy to by these captivas and cruzes because they have a lion glued to the front. Yet no one in their right mind would have bought one if they still had daewoo badges on them. crazey times.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2011, 03:35 PM   #30
stang65
FPRJET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
This. People still bagging Ford service when its not just them. I worked at a Holden dealer last year and saw first hand how bad they were. Heaps of disgruntled customers and knocked back warranty claims. If the Holden forums are anything to go by too, they are terrible.

Ford also scored way better in the service survey last year. Holden almost last.

As for the Captiva itself, they suffered a lot of niggling problems. We used have electrical dramas on some before they were even delivered.
Just to clarify, i beleive ford service has room for improvement, I was actually supporting Ford in my statement saying Holden isn`t any better.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post