Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 16-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #1
Mullett
Badly Focused

Default Is your LS/LT aircon rubbish?

Has anyone found that the aircon in their LT is pretty weak? Mine's totally blown away by the camry/corolla/hilux etc that i drive for work...I'm wondering if it's short on gas or something, or if this is normal...it works well enough, but it's trying it's heart out to keep up.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #2
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

mine takes a while to get up and going, but it does the job.. ive definitely seen better aircons on different cars though
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Has anyone found that the aircon in their LT is pretty weak? Mine's totally blown away by the camry/corolla/hilux etc that i drive for work...I'm wondering if it's short on gas or something, or if this is normal...it works well enough, but it's trying it's heart out to keep up.

-RM.

No issues with mine so far Mullett.
Its an '05 LS that I bought just at the start of summer and I'm in Brisbane - no probs to date.
Fredo
_2:

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
BrisVegas
Noobie

mine's fine. Dec 06 Zetec manual. I live in Ipswich, which is hotter than the face of the sun, but rarely need to run it on more than 2-3 fan setting. I run it on recirc most of the time though as i can't stand sucking fumes.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

a/c in mine is pretty pathetic... you need to aim it right into your face or you'd think its not turned on. lol

does anyone know ways of improving it???
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Randy_G
wing nut

Mine works great. I have noticed that the fan moves more air when in recirculation mode, and that it cools down a bit quicker. I also use the global down feature for the windows when walking to my car.
Randy_G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
BlackLS
yum

The best for cooling is putting it on recirc, and move the blend door to half face half feet. Fan setting 3 or 4.

I've found the aircon just ok. I guess the target market area wouldn't dream of having 40+ degree heat.

Also keep in mind there is a RPM and a throttle position shutoff with the aircon. If you keep flooring it the aircon will be off for a lot of the time.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Stugots
2006 Focus LX Hatch

Just Got back From QLD after having a corolla for the weekend. The air con in that thing seems to be more effective than the Focus but the Ford one is still ok. I find it chills the feet better than the upper sections.

The heater in the Focus on the other hand is a beauty.

The Toyota Corolla is a gutless, ugly, disgusting car. Only thing it has going for it is cabin storage space. Didn't even have steering wheel mounted audio controls.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I've been cool in the recent 40+ degree heat without any issues on fan speed 2. I usually switch between recirc and outside so I get some fresh air in.
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #10
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Mine's totally blown away by the camry/corolla/hilux
You'll never beat toyota aircon. Best in the industry, full stop.
Old 17-02-2009, 12:09 AM   #11
819_FLY

Yeah as mentioned above, big error people do is have recirculate turned off and have it purely on the face. Your feet are were you draw most of the heat from so have it split between feet and face and you will cool down alot quicker, also have recirculate on. People also have a tendency to crank the fan up to high, although you think it will cool the car down quicker you are cooling the car down at the same rate as that on 1 or 2, just the wind chill factor is making you think it is working better, good tip with a hot cabin, get in start the car up, get the aircon on and drop your windows for a minute or two whilst driving, this will help circulate the hot air out of the cabin and let the chilled air take place aswell as give you freedom from the hot stuffy air that builds up when your car is off and locked up in the sun.

Living in North Queensland and working in hot workshop everyday I have come to understand aircon a bit better and utilise it when I can, however I don't sleep in it, because I always end up with a cold....

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
Mullett
Badly Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
The best for cooling is putting it on recirc, and move the blend door to half face half feet. Fan setting 3 or 4.

I've found the aircon just ok. I guess the target market area wouldn't dream of having 40+ degree heat.

Also keep in mind there is a RPM and a throttle position shutoff with the aircon. If you keep flooring it the aircon will be off for a lot of the time.

Really? Mine's GUTLESS with the AC on at full throttle, there's a noticeable jump when you press the A/C button while you're on WOT.

Recirc is the best, but i don't like leaving it on too long, because you're basically pulling the oxygen out of the car, with 4 people in there it's surprising how quickly the 02 level can drop, it can lead to blackouts, poor concentration etc (crap you learn when you do a lot of long-distance driving :P) The worst by far is people who drive at night with the heater cranked up on recirc...heater should NEVER be on recirc, it already causes a lot of accidents in long-distance driving...anyways, I'm ranting!

And agreed, toyota AC is by far the best.

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
~Spyne~

the cool down time of the a/c in my focus is really good (coming from a vr commo previously)
the only quibble i have is that the centre vents cant be directed horizontally enough to actually hit me in the centre of the face or chest...kind of just gets the left side of my body
Old 17-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
mudwaa

Seems to work ok but nothing compared to a Pulsar SSS i had where i had to keep taking my hand of the wheel to avoid frostbite.
mudwaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cools very well, but the fan noise is biblical.
The XR4 is much quieter.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

My aircon (LR) just kept giving up the ghost on those 40+ degree days we had in Melbourne. Would go for a while , then start pumping hot air.

I thought it needed re-gassing, but it would work fine next morning.

I know NOW to have it on recirculation!

Do you think it has a problem? Or just expecting it to do to much?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I had similar weather up here the same week you did steve and mine was struggling a bit. Once it cooled down it was ok, but with 45DEG blasting in the windows it didn't put up much of a fight. But it remains constant so you could have a problem steve. I barely ever use air-con, i prefer fresh air blasting in. Unless its stupidly hot of course.

And I ALWAYS put the a/c on recirc to begin with, and when it gets too cold i'll open it up to fresh air.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #18
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullett
Really? Mine's GUTLESS with the AC on at full throttle, there's a noticeable jump when you press the A/C button while you're on WOT.
Try mimiking a kickdown on the throttle as if you have an auto. I think its noticeable in first gear stop/start traffic, or revving freely in neutral.

Old 18-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I too was in Sthn.N.S.W. and Melbourne in the aforementioned weather. No real issues at all with my air-con in my LR although normally on interstate drives I only have the fan on 1 but did turn it on 2 the further south I drove. It's actually never been re-gassed or "serviced'. I'm a believer in Window Tint as I've had it on all of my previous rides.

Steve, considering the extreme temperature I think everyone's might have been struggling. Off Topic, all the Motel's I stayed in, most of their a/c was either pathetic or really pathetic. Has your Focus' a/c ever been tested??

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Has your Focus' a/c ever been tested??
No it hasn't Eddie.

My problem is I reckon if you ask someone to test the aircon, they'll always tell you it needs something done!!!!!

Cynical bastard aren't I?
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2009, 03:00 PM   #21
BlackLS
yum

I just got my car back from Ford, a aircon pipe coming from the compressor had split. New pipe, regas and $350 later and aircon is working again.

I think the pipe splitting may have to do with the breaking a pipe bracket after running over a steel "hat" that they place at T intersections.