Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Thumbs down Bullied to death.

Quote:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...08/2812998.htm

Company, workers fined $335k for waitress's bullying

A magistrate has fined a Melbourne cafe company $220,000 over a workplace bullying case that resulted in a waitress committing suicide.

Brodie Panlock, a 19-year-old waitress, took her own life in 2006 after enduring persistent bullying by her colleagues at Cafe Vamp in Hawthorn.

Company director Marc Da Cruz and three of his employees, Nicholas Smallwood, 26, now of Queensland, Rhys MacAlpine, 28, of Kooyong, and Gabriel Toomey, 23 of Abbotsford all pleaded guilty to charges under the occupational health and safety act.

The court was told Smallwood and MacAlpine mentally and physically bullied Ms Panlock during work hours and even taunted her about a previous suicide attempt.

The magistrate described their bullying as "persistent and vicious" and said cafe owner Da Cruz condoned it.

Smallwood was fined $45,000. MacAlpine was fined $30,000 and Toomey must pay $10,000. Da Cruz was fined $30,000.

Prosecutor Gary Livermore told a pre-sentence hearing last week that witnesses had seen Smallwood and MacAlpine pour fish oil into Ms Panlock's kitbag and then pour it over her hair and clothes, reducing her to tears.

He also said they engaged in indirect bullying, such as calling her fat and ugly.

It won't take a lot to push someone over the edge. And instead of heeding the situation they drive her further till she kills herself?

It's also sad to learn that other people new this was happening but did nothing about it: look out for your fellow humans when you get the chance.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:58 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Saw this on the news today - serves them right. Deserve everything they get.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
ToCo
Drives a Ute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
It won't take a lot to push someone over the edge. And instead of heeding the situation they drive her further till she kills herself?

It's also sad to learn that other people new this was happening but did nothing about it: look out for your fellow humans when you get the chance.

What is wrong with people surely there must be a point when your conscious kicks in and says, "Maybe I should stop because this is getting serious?"

Now I am sure that everyone here has bullied someone at some stage but to let it get to this point is ridiculous, and then to learn that no one stepped in to stop it makes it much worse.
Having just heard this today, makes you think twice about the things you say to the people around you.
Feel sorry for the poor girl, who had to put up with a$$holes like that at her workplace it disgusting.

I don't think those fines are enough.

Todd.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I just hope somebody learnt something from this... tragedy...
Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What a waste of a life, I hate bullies, I had to put up with their crap through school too from people but not enough to make me want to end it all.

I really dispise people who constantly gang up tease someone, I've seen the results first hand when one of my mates eventually snapped and went ape ********, he never went back to his old self, now he is a really agressive person who will get into serious fights over petty things. Its him vs the world in his mind.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope what these people have done to this poor girl haunts them for the rest of their lives. What makes a person want to drive someone else to suicide? As adults, they should have known right from wrong.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no way i'd go to that cafe now
Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Should have jailed the ******************

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 08-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Taking pleasure from making someone else miserable is disgusting.

All bullies are scumbags.

Period.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #10
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Would you like to know what happens when you speak out againist this sort of thing?

For those who live in Ballarat, may be interested to hear this. Friday Night, 5th Feb, A guy I only know from a few conversations but seemed a genuine person stepped from his VZ SS with nice Cream Interior, very nice SS to help a 13-15 year old kid.

Anyone of the Ballarat Area heard of the so called Ballarat Brawlers? There was about 25-35 young kids, I am talking 14-17 year olds wandering down the street, they started pressuring the above 13-15 year old to do things, breaking windows etc. they were chasing him, so the guy above stepped out, simply said "Com'on guys, no need for that".

What happened next? They all turned on him, and his car, not to mention his poor girlfriend sitting in the car. Jumped through the windscreens, caved the roof in, doors, pretty much reduced it to pretty much a write-off. They also descended on him, although he fought back, going up againist 20+ people isn't easy, throwing bottles at other cars in the vercinty.

How does something like this happen in some of the most open space in Ballarat (Front of Dan Murpheys for those in Ballarat), lack of respect and lack of police presence. This is only one of the issues that arose from this group on only the Friday Night. Now you tell me why people don't speak up?

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuddy200
How does something like this happen in some of the most open space in Ballarat (Front of Dan Murpheys for those in Ballarat), lack of respect and lack of police presence. This is only one of the issues that arose from this group on only the Friday Night. Now you tell me why people don't speak up?
Because they don't speak up until it hits a serious level then have their *** kicked in like your example, need to nip this crap at the bud when it first starts before it escalates. Aussies don't like standing up for themselves, thats what I've noticed, they let any ************ step on them and wont do anything about it.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to hang these clown's upside down in my shed.. Belt the living **** out of them and feed them TAB ticket's.........
Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Would you like to know what happens when you speak out againist this sort of thing?

For those who live in Ballarat, may be interested to hear this. Friday Night, 5th Feb, A guy I only know from a few conversations but seemed a genuine person stepped from his VZ SS with nice Cream Interior, very nice SS to help a 13-15 year old kid.

Anyone of the Ballarat Area heard of the so called Ballarat Brawlers? There was about 25-35 young kids, I am talking 14-17 year olds wandering down the street, they started pressuring the above 13-15 year old to do things, breaking windows etc. they were chasing him, so the guy above stepped out, simply said "Com'on guys, no need for that".

What happened next? They all turned on him, and his car, not to mention his poor girlfriend sitting in the car. Jumped through the windscreens, caved the roof in, doors, pretty much reduced it to pretty much a write-off. They also descended on him, although he fought back, going up againist 20+ people isn't easy, throwing bottles at other cars in the vercinty.

They would have been scraping/hosing a good five or six of those hoodlum's off from underneath my car if that was me....
Old 08-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would hope those who knew what was going on yet did nothing to stop it carry the guilt with them for ever. We all have to look out for your mates. If you see something and do nothing you're just as bad as they are.

This is just too sad, can't describe it any other way.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
fords35to75
No plastic bumpers

Default As an older fart (nearly '53) the whole problem goes back to discipline and respect

[QUOTE=Tuddy200]Would you like to know what happens when you speak out againist this sort of thing?

Not sure if I'm doing this right - it's my first go at responding to someone but Tuddy, you've got me on my soapbox. I too am from Ballarat and am sick of what these young buggers are doing to our town. Let's get back to the days when kids were too scared to cause ********** because they'd cop a belting from Dad or if they mucked up at school the strap came out. The old fashioned coppers who could give you a boot up the ar*e and send you on your way. We weren't saints 30+ years ago but we had a bit of respect for other people and their property. Do pubs and clubs need to stay open until 5 am? I survived 10 o'clock closing but still managed to get pi**ed pretty regularly because we buy some cans and go around to a mate's place or a small party then go home pis**d. At least every drunk in town wasn't in the same street at the same time.

Have just come back from the Rod Run at Queenscliff where I didn't worry about leaving my Galaxie convertible parked with the top down, here I'd worry about leaving it on a lot of places with the roof up!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:57 PM   #16
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Its things like this that make me wonder why I was told to ignore it and walk away as a kid. Having this engraved into your mind obviously can have tragic consequences later in life, as this sad story shows.

What if this poor girl was like the many others who thought they would walk in and massacre these people before taking the gun to themselves? These simpletons dont think nor do they care or ever will feel guilt. I despise bullies, as I was on the receiving end growing up. But I still will never level myself with them by taking pleasure in making their lives miserable.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:31 PM   #17
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I read about this 2 days ago. Very sad to see this happen.
In February last year, the 18-year-old son of a co-worker jumped off the West Gate Bridge because of repeated cyber-bullying. The bully in question received a slap on the wrist, while the victim's family lost their only child.

I completely agree with Leadfoot81, all bullies are scumbags and it sickens me to the core when I read stories like this.

20 years ago I was bullied in high school (I'm an ADHD sufferer), to the point where I seriously considered taking my dad's .38 revolver to school with me and waving it in the bullies' faces. Fortunately I came to my senses before doing anything stupid.
To this day I am left with nothing but bitter memories of that school. I met my wife at uni and she turned me around. I consider myself very lucky, but there are countless others out there who are not as fortunate as I.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Old 08-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #18
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
I'd like to hang these clown's upside down in my shed.. Belt the living **** out of them and feed them TAB ticket's.........
Hahaha, You've said what we were all thinking
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
Old 09-02-2010, 12:00 AM   #19
Mad Maxine

Tuddy you nailed it when you said "pack of youngsters" - that's the problem: it's the 'pack mentality' like a pack of mongrel dogs. They egg each other on, and make it embarassing for any members to back down when told to do something. Peer group pressure at it's worst. And yet, get one of these disgusting little cowards on their own, and they would run a mile. They are only tough when they run in packs. It's gutless fighting, much like king-hitting or glassing someone in the pub, it's cowardly, and they should have the crap beaten out of them so they learn they can't do exactly what they want no matter what the consequences.

MM

1977 XC GS Coupe
Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #20
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Maxine
Tuddy you nailed it when you said "pack of youngsters" - that's the problem: it's the 'pack mentality' like a pack of mongrel dogs. They egg each other on, and make it embarassing for any members to back down when told to do something. Peer group pressure at it's worst. And yet, get one of these disgusting little cowards on their own, and they would run a mile. They are only tough when they run in packs. It's gutless fighting, much like king-hitting or glassing someone in the pub, it's cowardly, and they should have the crap beaten out of them so they learn they can't do exactly what they want no matter what the consequences.

MM
Yep...young blokes who on their own are little wimps. In a pack, they berate others, speak a lot of crap, and throw beer cans at people walking past, which is what happened to me as I crossed the road at the top of my street.
Young fools in a VY/Z? Commodore with blaring music, stupid young women in the back thinking the blokes they're with are funny, showing a blatant disregard for the environment by littering.

I wonder if they were the same people wearing their Australian flags as capes at the Boxing Day Test...

Some people really need the guillotine to come down hard. All these fines and light sentences only allow future cases to use this as a precedence.

They treated the young lady appallingly for a long time and targeted her. I would have liked to have seen some jail time...fining is one thing, but a loss of freedom is perhaps one thing they should have experienced...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #21
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
I'd like to hang these clown's upside down in my shed.. Belt the living **** out of them and feed them to a pack of wild dogs.
FYP. Unreal.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #22
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One word. Sickening.

Animals that have pretty much gotten away with as close to murder as you can get.

Bring back the days of the cane and dads belt buckle. Stops a lot of this BS right where it starts.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
They treated the young lady appallingly for a long time and targeted her. I would have liked to have seen some jail time...fining is one thing, but a loss of freedom is perhaps one thing they should have experienced...
Ken Oath.. And the odd game of catch the boiling water would have given these clown's a nice lesson in life.....
Old 09-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #24
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Bloody tragedy and completely avoidable. Hopefully now with the media attention people will not go to this cafe and the clown of an owner will go bust. He deserves it.

Quote:

Ballarat Brawlers hey, clown name for a clown mob. Of course the Police up here won't do anything either, there's not enough of them (Ballarat is seriously understaffed). And if they were caught with the way the Magistrates are in Ballarat they would be back on the streets within hours. They've had a bad childhood, are just lashing out and don't understand the consequences of their actions. Sad story, but a daily story up here now.

Assemble the vigilantes.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 09-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #25
dsyfer

Bad things happen when good people fail to act....

I spent the worst two years in high school because I could not stand by and watch the "tough guys" pick on smaller kids, it put a big target on me, but I have absolutely no regrets for standing up to them.

People need to stand up along side those being bullied, if enough people stood up and said 'enoughs enough" bullies would crawl back under their rocks. It is not just the police's responsibility to protect people, it is everyone's responsibility.

Take the situation the other day where a woman was being bashed by her partner in the street, only one guy went over to help, he himself was then bashed by this "hero", now imagine if everyone in the vicinity went over together....
Old 09-02-2010, 10:22 AM   #26
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Assemble the vigilantes.
Too late....

I had never seen so many fully loaded cars on Ballarat Streets in many years on Friday night after it happened. The police did turn out, couple of Divvys, 1 TMU, 1 Ford XT, however this was in response to the large amount of cars sitting in Main Road.

19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet

Old 09-02-2010, 10:25 AM   #27
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Too late....

I had never seen so many fully loaded cars on Ballarat Streets in many years on Friday night after it happened. The police did turn out, couple of Divvys, 1 TMU, 1 Ford XT, however this was in response to the large amount of cars sitting in Main Road.
Bloody hell, that's near on the entire fleet!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 09-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #28
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

Where are the parents ???.... if these mongrels were my kids.. they would get a hiding they wont soon forget... Worked for me when i was playing up as a youngster...
If these Bullies or Ballarat Packs, got a *** whooping they may think twice... If they run around in packs causing these problems....A pack of bigger thugs should be employed to keep these turds at bay...
Bloody legislation in thsi country unfortuantelly supports the Bullies , thugs , theives more than it does the 99 % of the population....If we gave these dopes a asskicking, wed be in real trouble...

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
Old 09-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #29
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Bloody hell, that's near on the entire fleet!
Sure is, minus a Van & two SS commonwhores. (One's even gold now to fit right in!).

Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #30
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJOHN
Where are the parents ???.... if these mongrels were my kids.. they would get a hiding they wont soon forget... Worked for me when i was playing up as a youngster...
If these Bullies or Ballarat Packs, got a *** whooping they may think twice... If they run around in packs causing these problems....A pack of bigger thugs should be employed to keep these turds at bay...
Bloody legislation in thsi country unfortuantelly supports the Bullies , thugs , theives more than it does the 99 % of the population....If we gave these dopes a asskicking, wed be in real trouble...
Exactly what is going to end up happening. I can very easily see a street war happening now, these clowns hit quite a few cars in there little hissy fit and there is alot of unhappy car owners.

Closed Thread