Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
brad`
The Monty

Default Chip Vs Edit when and worth it?

Ok can someone tell me a few things

The main diffrence between gettin at Chip compared to getting a Tune (xcal/sct etc)?

Is it worth getting it done?

what kind of modifications are needed before one is required?

cheers Brad`

Oh i understand this might start the hole chip / tune topic but if we can keep it under control that would be good. Keep in mind tho i know nothing about either im still learning

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
brad`
The Monty

What is the AU Edit?

In simple terms, the AU “Edit” is a tuning program used to change the settings and base maps in your factory ECU. This means that as opposed to using a piggyback or complete replacement ECU, you can use your factory computer, but still modify the settings and parameters to increase performance. It’s a particularly useful tool if your car is modified, or if you intend to go down the turbo/supercharger path and still want to have a fully engineered setup.

The Edit is done using a Flash Tuner, which is quite simply, a little black box that plugs into your OBD (On Board Diagnostics Port). Pop off your interior fuse cover, and you’ll see a connector – this is where it plugs in, and in a few seconds you can upload and change your ECU’s programming. The Flash Tuner holds up to 4 programs – the first being your factory ECU settings, and the other 3 being custom tunes developed for your car.

So what happens when I get the edit?

If you’ve made the decision to get the edit done, chances are you already know a bit about how it works. If not, here’s a brief rundown of how the process works.

How to select a tuner:

The best way to select a tuner is to do some research on some of their previous cars. See what results they have given other enthusiasts, and if you’re happy with it, contact them and talk to them about your car. There are a multitude of different tuning and performance shops around the country, but if you can find one your are comfortable with and trust to work on your car, it’s a safe bet to go with them.

Getting your car ready:

To get maximum results, your car needs to be at peak operating levels during the tuning process. Doing simple maintanence such as an oil change, cleaning your air filter, changing plugs and leads etc can mean the difference between a great result and an average one.

Remember that during the edit process, your car is going to see a lot of time on the dyno, which means it will be working reasonably hard.

For fuel, it’s best to select the fuel that you intend to be using every day. If you use 95 octane fuel regularly, there’s no point using 98 octane fuel to tune the car with. Make sure you have at least half a tank of fuel in the car before it goes on the dyno. If you use Octane Booster etc, talk to your tuner first before adding it as they may advise against it.

Getting started:

Before starting, the tuner will usually do a dyno run to establish just what sort of power your car is putting out as it currently is. This will give them (and you) a better idea of what needs to be changed or looked at such as flat spots through the rev range, low down torque delivery etc. This dyno run will also give you a rwkw (Rear Wheel KiloWatts) figure which can the be compared with your results after the edit.

After this is done, your tuner will discuss with you what results you want from the car, and what they feel is going to be the best way to achieve it. This is the time to take into account what modifications you have done, what you intend to do in the future, your driving style, and what you expect from the car after the job is done. If you want maximum power, better low down torque etc, now’s the time to say so.

Once you and the tuner have established the aim for the car, the dyno runs will begin. During the runs, the tuner will more than likely be working on a laptop etc, to manipulate settings in the ECU, and measure the results in real time as it runs on the dyno. This can take anywhere from 5-35 runs to get 100% correct, and a good tuner will not stop until they (and you) are satisfied with the results.

If everybody’s happy, a final dyno sheet will be printed that shows the results from the pre-tuning run, and the final (tuned) result. This sheet will show you the differences, but it’s only when you drive the car that you will really see (and more importantly feel) the results.

At this stage, remember a few things:

· The Kw number is not everything. Cars with high kws but low torque can be slower than how they started. Don’t be disheartened if the final rwkw figure is lower than what you expected. If it is, talk to your tuner.

· If the car feels no different, or feels doughy etc, talk to your tuner. The edit is only as good as the tuner doing it and if you’re not happy, it won’t change magically. To get the result you want you have to be clear with them as to what you hope to get out of it.

· The tunes are switchable, so test them all out to uncover any oddities while they can still be fixed. Typically an edit will give you 4 tunes, all of which are held in your flash tuner. The first are the default factory settings which are retained if ever you need to return your car to stock, and the other 3 will be custom tunes that you can work with with your tuner. Typically most tuners will do a tune for your preferred fuel, one for maximum power and another for a different fuel i.e. 95 octane.

· Never expect the dyno to give you an indication of how the car will drive! The only way to find out if the tune is as good as you expect is to drive the car and see how it feels for yourself.

If everything’s all set, and you’re happy with your tune, then you’re done. Keep your flash tuner in a safe place and become familiar with proper operation of it so you can safely change tunes etc. Most will come with a written manual on how to use it, how to change tunes etc, and also a list of what tunes are in the tuning unit.

The flash tuner can be “retuned” at any time, meaning if you have new mods in the future, you can return and have it retuned to suit. Remember though that the flash tune units are VIN locked to your car, so if you sell your car and wish to use the same flash box on your new car, you’ll need your tuner to unlock it.

The AU edit is a powerful tool and can give you awesome tuning capability in the right hands. It’s well worth the money!

Copied directly from aufalcon.com.au (refrence)
Old 21-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #3
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Apart from answering your own question almost, the basic answer is, if it is stock and just a few tweaks are required a Chip will do the job, "IF" your planning Mods along the way a Xcal box is the only way to go ..end of story

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #4
brad`
The Monty

say;

exhaust and extractors to start

and by planning mods u mean if i decide to get a cam later down the track its better of getting a xcal?
Old 21-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #5
brad`
The Monty

ok doing some research so is;

"T.I performace j3 chip" ($195 Custom tuned) the chip to get or is there another brand/manufacture to try as well?
Old 21-07-2010, 11:10 PM   #6
Cam
Stroking it...

I posted a thread about a year ago, asking what an edit can do that my (chiptorque) chip cant. All I got were "the edit is better" answers.

My chip does all and more then an edit can, thus why my stroker runs, and will continue to run a chip...

The way they work are very different, but with a decent tuner I was unable to get a reason to spend the cash on an edit...Happy to be proven wrong..

EDIT: the thread.. http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11271291

The only thing with a chip is that you cant swap between tunes, like you can with an edit..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.

Last edited by Cam; 21-07-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #7
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What you say is rite Cam I also run a chip and have one of the quickest STOCK XR8s here' they do work fine ,but finding a tuner that knows how they work and can get the most out of them is the challenge, it is just the advantages of the Xcal style of box that makes it a bit more attractive these days, bottom line its horses for courses If I had a chip style in the cupboard or can get it at the rite price and I have a tuner that knows his craft I would still use it. if not ....
Old 22-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #8
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

it looks like the TI Performance guy is active on fordmods.com - you could shoot him a PM for extra info....screen name galapogos01

This is a current thread:
http://www.fordmods.com/post1160274.html
Old 22-07-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
brad`
The Monty

welll whoosha ur a melb boy where is a good and trusted tuner in melb/geelong region or isnt there any that u can think of off hand?

what about G&D do they do them?
Old 22-07-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
welll whoosha ur a melb boy where is a good and trusted tuner in melb/geelong region or isnt there any that u can think of off hand?

what about G&D do they do them?
PM sent
Old 23-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #11
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha
What you say is rite Cam I also run a chip and have one of the quickest STOCK XR8s here' they do work fine ,but finding a tuner that knows how they work and can get the most out of them is the challenge, it is just the advantages of the Xcal style of box that makes it a bit more attractive these days, bottom line its horses for courses If I had a chip style in the cupboard or can get it at the rite price and I have a tuner that knows his craft I would still use it. if not ....
Completely agree, i wouldn't take my car to anyone but chiptorque, the guys have been great with it. Otherwise I probably would change to an xcal or aftermarket ecu..

But because I have it, and it works well i dont think i'll be changing
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post