Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Road Trip -Adelaide - Brissie

this isn't to ask how to get there or which way to go, as i've done the trip over 50 times.

in 2 weeks i'll be off with the family again for a holiday in qld. i'm just after a bit of a heads up on price of lpg. my first fill will be in Hay. next will be somewhere around gilgandra/coonabarabran/narrabri area, depending on time/mileage etc. last year it seemed there was a far greater discrepancy between towns with lpg pricing compared to petrol.

from there i'll be right to bris.

last year i think i filled in narrabri @ close to 80cpl even though petrol was still under $1.20.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Hey mate,

I live just north of Hay, from memory the cost of LPG is somewhere around the 65-80cpl. Still better than payin $1.30+ for petrol
Old 27-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTooth
Hey mate,

I live just north of Hay, from memory the cost of LPG is somewhere around the 65-80cpl. Still better than payin $1.30+ for petrol
cheers mate, exactly what i'm after. hope its closer to the 65cpl in a couple of weeks.
Old 27-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Might pass ya along the way in afew weeks time coming back to BNE from Albury
Old 27-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Might pass ya along the way in afew weeks time coming back to BNE from Albury
i leave adelaide on sat 13th march (very early). normally stop the night in parkes but this time (due to trying to get away a earlier) are hoping to get to dubbo. should get into bris sun arvo.

the return trip will be on 3rd april.

this is my car
Old 27-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
this isn't to ask how to get there or which way to go, as i've done the trip over 50 times.

in 2 weeks i'll be off with the family again for a holiday in qld. i'm just after a bit of a heads up on price of lpg. my first fill will be in Hay. next will be somewhere around gilgandra/coonabarabran/narrabri area, depending on time/mileage etc. last year it seemed there was a far greater discrepancy between towns with lpg pricing compared to petrol.

from there i'll be right to bris.

last year i think i filled in narrabri @ close to 80cpl even though petrol was still under $1.20.
Not much has changed.

Forbes/Parkes/Dubbo and Gilgandra are around 79cpl but petrol is about $1.26. It wont get cheaper untill you get to the border I'm afraid.
Old 27-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #7
prydey
Rob

cheers gaso. might be better off to top it up at parkes, and then at bridge garage.

still tossing up whether to go via warwick or toowoomba. nothing in it time wise, but toowoomba seemes like a better road. used to go that way with the folks as a kid as grandparents have a farm near gatton.

we normally go via warwick but given there's no real time difference i like to mix it up a bit.
Old 27-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Via Toowoomba is about 15mins quicker but rougher ....in a Truck anyway
Old 05-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
cheers gaso. might be better off to top it up at parkes, and then at bridge garage.

still tossing up whether to go via warwick or toowoomba. nothing in it time wise, but toowoomba seemes like a better road. used to go that way with the folks as a kid as grandparents have a farm near gatton.

we normally go via warwick but given there's no real time difference i like to mix it up a bit.
Just to add a bit more......

I don't know exactly when your heading off but you might be better off going via Warwick. The Toowomba Rd has been closed for the last 3 days due to floods, usually up there after the water goes down the holes in the roads come up

Just had a look last night re:fuel prices. For some weird reason prices in Parkes/Dubbo/Gilgandra are 5cents lower for petrol but gas is 10-15 higher than here in Wagga!

I think Gas was about 79cpl but petrol was $1.26cpl go figure!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #10
prydey
Rob

cheers GasO, heading off next saturday morning (early and not very bright), hoping to make it to dubbo but normally parkes is the stop over.

sounds like lpg will be around the 0.80cpl the whole way. i only need to fill twice so its no big deal.

thanks for the info regarding the toowoomba road. i've been keeping half an eye on the weather but thought it was further west.

whats the roadworks situation like. don't think i've done a trip yet where there hasn't been any. they were doing a reasonable amount this side of cunninghams gap but not sure how often you go that side of gundi. also nsw generally has some form of 'inconvenience'.

i'll be in your territory sunday, should i be keeping a lookout and giving a wide berth? :
Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Gas goes back to 'normal' prices at the Qld border

The only roadworks between West Wyalong and the border is just south of the Nth Star parking bay....appx 90k's nth of Moree. There are a couple of other 'road works' speed limits on the way, but despite slowing you down to 60kmh these roadworks are in parking bays !

The silliest one is near the railway crossing between Forbes and Parkes. They're widening the corner and have a 40k speed limit even in the middle of the night! :
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Gas goes back to 'normal' prices at the Qld border
egas wagon tank is 116L useable so might just top it up at parkes so i make it to gundy 'bridge garage'. might sound silly but the extra $5-$10 i save will pay for the bribes to keep the kids (and missus) quiet.

cheers for the updates. i'm one of these people that enjoy the drive, although if i did it for a living it may be different.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:25 PM   #13
zdcol71
zdcol71

Have a great trip prydey, drive safely
Old 10-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

on the racq website, they have a traffic light system for showing which roads are accessible and which aren't.

they have an orange light for somewhere between warwick and inglewood or gundi and inglewood.

given i won't be near that area until sunday lunchtime/arvo, i'd say its a safe bet there won't be an issue, as long as there isn't more rain in the meantime.

can someone offer any more info?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know the road is open with extreme caution/4wd only between Inglewood and Yalarbon, unsure about the highway from Gundy to Toowoomba.

If i hear anything in the next two days i'll post here for you.

I'm in Moree, btw, and we have regular road reports on our local radio stations.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

cheers nathan. i'll be going via warwick so not real concerned about the road to toowoomba.

don't like the sound of the inglewood to yelarbon bit. hopefully that changes for the better in the next few days or i will be going gore hwy instead of cunningham.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
on the racq website, they have a traffic light system for showing which roads are accessible and which aren't.

they have an orange light for somewhere between warwick and inglewood or gundi and inglewood.

given i won't be near that area until sunday lunchtime/arvo, i'd say its a safe bet there won't be an issue, as long as there isn't more rain in the meantime.

can someone offer any more info?
According to my changeover driver there's no dramas on either road as of last night (Tues).

Maybe a little water on the sides but no problems.

The only problems around Gundy at the moment is the Task force (police) but they're only worrying about trucks on the highway and cars in town.

The motorbike cop was REALLY keen. I saw him in the BP Bridge booking a driver 3 bowsers over from me, he was also stopping drivers as they exited the Caltex and checking their books...despite the fact that the rest of the task force was set up on the only road out of town near the airport on the Warwick road!
Old 10-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #18
prydey
Rob

once upon a time nsw was known for highway patrol, but last year, as soon as we crossed the border into qld, i reckon i saw about 3 cars in the first hour or so. one did a uturn and booked some dude in a commo that had moments earlier flew past me.

thanks again for the updates guys. brissie forecast is looking pretty wet. so much for 3 weeks in the sun.

at least if there is plenty of water around the wildlife generally stay off the raod.... generally.

might just sit couple of hundred metres off the back of one of your mates GasO, although still daylight savings so won't be doing a lot of driving at night.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Look on the bright side. If your traveling next weekend you'll be safe.......

....I'll be at home
Old 10-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #20
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No worries Prydey, I'll keep an eye out for you on Sunday, i got the only yellow FPV in Moree so it will be me if you see it

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Look on the bright side. If your traveling next weekend you'll be safe.......

....I'll be at home
if by 'next weekend' you mean the 20th, then i could be in trouble as i leave this sat (13th).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1183
No worries Prydey, I'll keep an eye out for you on Sunday, i got the only yellow FPV in Moree so it will be me if you see it
i had a look for you last year but no luck. normally we stop at the park just over the bridge opposite woolies? but this time the 'plan' is to be a bit further along.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Just dont run him over, when i went through Moree he was standing on the side of the road :
Old 11-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #23
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i had a look for you last year but no luck. normally we stop at the park just over the bridge opposite woolies? but this time the 'plan' is to be a bit further along.

Last year i had the silver ute, but it doesn't stand out as much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Just dont run him over, when i went through Moree he was standing on the side of the road
Thats only coz i was working Dallas

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
Old 12-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
if by 'next weekend' you mean the 20th, then i could be in trouble as i leave this sat (13th).
sorry, I meant this weekend...
You are now safe to travel. I'm home until Mon night!
Quote:
Did you blend in with the locals by taking a couple of flagons with you?

Quote:
Thats only coz i was working Dallas
WORKING?? ROFL....Nathan made a joke.

Prydey. Just to be on the safe side stay away from anything with Country Energy written on it!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

hmm.. 2+2= nathan works for country energy?

at least the locals don't tend to roam the streets like they do further north. coming through boggabilla a couple of years ago about 10am and it looked like they'd already been on the turps for a few hours. bit of a scuffle at the pub too which wouldn't be uncommon. it was a week day too, not school holidays but judging by the amount of kids, school is obviously optional.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #26
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
hmm.. 2+2= nathan works for country energy?
Works?...only when he really has to

Quote:
at least the locals don't tend to roam the streets like they do further north.
Umm, I think Nathan might disagree there...

Quote:
coming through boggabilla a couple of years ago about 10am and it looked like they'd already been on the turps for a few hours. bit of a scuffle at the pub too which wouldn't be uncommon. it was a week day too, not school holidays but judging by the amount of kids, school is obviously optional.
Thursday is usually a good day/night to drive through there...it's pension day!!
Old 12-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #27
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Prydey, i work for CountryEnergy,

Oh, get stuffed Roger. Oh, i saw one of your trucks getting dragged backwards through Moree yesterday arvo.

Yeah, they roam the streets all hours, everyday, though Sunday arvo is football time and if they not at the local game they will be at home on the turps watching the national league.

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
Old 12-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #28
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Oh, get stuffed Roger. Oh, i saw one of your trucks getting dragged backwards through Moree yesterday arvo.
Yeah I heard 006 I think, dont know what happened other than he fell of the road!

Prydey the best way to find Nathan is to try to sneak through town and wait for the "Is that you (insert name here)?" to scare the crap out of you
Old 13-03-2010, 12:19 AM   #29
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nah, won't happen on the weekend, not in my work ute, and haven't put a two-way in the yellow one, yet

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
Old 30-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #30
prydey
Rob

leave early sat morning for the return journey. should be in GasO territory by about 8 or 9ish (brekky at macca's no doubt) and then passing through moree mid morningish.

i must say, some of the poor excuses for roads they call national highways are embarrassing. the amount of revenue the govt's get from fuel tax and other revenue schemes, you'd think they would have plenty to spare to upgrade the roads but obviously its more important to make sure all the party members and their families have nice fully paid trips abroad!

only saw a few roo's just out of dubbo in the wee hours on the way up so hopefully they leave me alone on the return.

once again there was plenty of HP activity between moree and warwick. not sure why but every time i travel i always see them in that area but nowhere else.

another note regarding the change in speed limits from 110 back to 100. can't see the mentality behind it myself. i used to find the extra 10km/h used to separate out the cars and heavy vehicles. i'd be able to go fast enough that they wouldn't bother me and i wouldn't bother them. now we are forced to get in each others way. i was overtaken by more than a few this time as even though trucks are limited, normally you get a few extra km's out of them. i know my on of my old mans could get to 105 - 115 on the limiter. i'm not bothered by it but wondered if the truckies felt the same. i wonder if they encounter more traffic now than before?