Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lightbulb ABC Radio..Australia All Over.. 18/08/13>about Ford Closure

I listen to Australia All Over,on sundays, and this morning Ian was talking about Ford closing down.
He said " this might not have happened if the Government had a "I Bought Australian" campaign. If every car had one of these stickers on it. Car industry might not be in the predicament it is now."
Ian said "he is buying a Ford," didn't say which one.
Don't know if it would work..sounds like a good idea ?? what do you think ??

Last edited by csv8; 18-08-2013 at 09:20 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia All Over>Ford Closure 18/08/13

Wasn't there an "Australian Made" campaign back in the 80's or early 90's?
I recall seeing triangular stickers in red, white & blue on cars etc.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Thread title gave me a heart attack. Thought it said 'Australia it's all over: ford closure 18/08/13'.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

There are many reasons why local car manufacturing is no longer viable and our attitude towards Australian Made is one of them. Where is our pride gone...???
Not saying its totally their fault, but it should have started with the Government and Local Councils only buying Oz made. And then less/no taxes on locally made cars to help keep them competative.
It's our local manufacturing standards/rules/regulations that add to the cost of making them but then the Government allows cars made in cheaper less regulated countries to come in cheaply and expect the local cars to be competative.
But I don't think just a sticker would have changed anything.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Thread title gave me a heart attack. Thought it said 'Australia it's all over: ford closure 18/08/13'.
Sorry..changed title to prevent further heart attacks..I tried to keep Topic Title short.
Old 18-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
There are many reasons why local car manufacturing is no longer viable and our attitude towards Australian Made is one of them. Where is our pride gone...???
Not saying its totally their fault, but it should have started with the Government and Local Councils only buying Oz made. And then less/no taxes on locally made cars to help keep them competative.
It's our local manufacturing standards/rules/regulations that add to the cost of making them but then the Government allows cars made in cheaper less regulated countries to come in cheaply and expect the local cars to be competative.
But I don't think just a sticker would have changed anything.
The SES vehicle scheme in the Commonwealth Public Service has an Australian made policy - this used to only cover cars actually made here, but now even the Cruze counts! Actually, as long as the manufacturer puts a car together here, then any car from their lineup can be included (even if it's an import). So while the policy has good intentions, it is flawed in its implementation (nothing unusual there, I hear you all say!)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
The SES vehicle scheme in the Commonwealth Public Service has an Australian made policy - this used to only cover cars actually made here, but now even the Cruze counts! Actually, as long as the manufacturer puts a car together here, then any car from their lineup can be included (even if it's an import). So while the policy has good intentions, it is flawed in its implementation (nothing unusual there, I hear you all say!)
flawed but still gets cars put together or made here into the market and keeps our jobs here. I think that there needs to be a rebate for buying an aus made car in the private sector (or both) maybe drop the the rego down to the next level like 6cylinder to 4 cylinder rego and a rebate on your tax return or something?
lets face it they need to sell cars to the private sector too small business and large businesses and all of us too
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post

Cruze is actually made here :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Cruze is actually made here :-)
No, you are wrong. Holden use the words "Australian Built" when they advertise the cruze. They arent allowed to use the words "Australian made" because it doesnt meet the percentage criteria. Its built here, not made here.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #10
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda View Post
No, you are wrong. Holden use the words "Australian Built" when they advertise the cruze. They arent allowed to use the words "Australian made" because it doesnt meet the percentage criteria. Its built here, not made here.
Cruze local content is around 26% and Falcons just under 60% .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: ABC Radio..Australia All Over.. 18/08/13>about Ford Closure

I don't know when it was phased out, but at one stage, they couldn't import a complete car to Australia.

In other words, it had to be CDK, and assembled here.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post