Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Licence Check??

Hello my fellow Fordies, I'm starting an apprenticeship next week as a heavy vehicle mechanic. I forgot to bring my drivers licence to the interview last week and now my future boss thinks i'm on the sly because I couldn't produce my licence, lol. When I bring it in next week, i'm wondering if he can check my licence out with the police/VicRoads? I said my licencnce is all clean, but I have had a bad history, ie. drink driving caught twice and he'll probably be spewin' if he finds this out after I said I have a good driving record. If he can't check it i'm safe. I've pulled my socks up now and moved on from my idiotic past. :Reverend:

tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
stiddy
Banned

Yep, He can certainly check. I don't think it will be a big issue if you still carry a valid licence. ie - not suspended/disqualified.
Just hope that it slipped his mind that you told him you have a clean licence.
I've got a seriously bad record and I need to drive for my job. My boss has checked my driving record, although no impressed (no one would be) he doesn't really care not can do much provided I still have a valid licence.
I wouldnt worry.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers Stiddy, though I think I'm in a bit of strife as he seemed intent on me having a clear history. I just thought he might want it to photo copy or something incase I jump the country or commit a crime at work and he has proof that i worked there.
Old 13-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
stiddy
Banned

Only one way to find out mate. Give him your licence when you see him next and see what happens.
Old 13-05-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make a trip to see you new employer in the next day or so and let him take your licence details there and then
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
3vXT

I'd be more worried about being caught lying to a potential employer than some previous driving dui stuff.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2008, 11:58 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Yep, He can certainly check. I don't think it will be a big issue if you still carry a valid licence. ie - not suspended/disqualified.
Just hope that it slipped his mind that you told him you have a clean licence.
I've got a seriously bad record and I need to drive for my job. My boss has checked my driving record, although no impressed (no one would be) he doesn't really care not can do much provided I still have a valid licence.
I wouldnt worry.
How would the boss find out your history? Unless you signed something saying you gave them permission to ask about you??

I think a friend had to pay for his own RTA paper record ($35ish??) when he had to prove his driving history for a job. This was the ONLY way they could check his driving history.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #8
stiddy
Banned

I just know that at my work, all the off-site techs, had to hand over their licences for a photo copy, he took all the copies and checked the record of every single one of us.
The main point of this was to make sure we still had a valid licence. Few people got caught out being suspended and were sacked on the spot.
Old 14-05-2008, 01:39 AM   #9
TZH
Only have the small Ford

He can certainly check
TZH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Somewhere in the fine print of some of the paperwork he has shown/given you to sign during an interview it prolly gives him permission to check. In NSW a check can be made on he RTA website as to how many points you have but to get all the info I think you have to go into the RTA yourself and pay $. In Vic it could be different.
Old 14-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
capriv8

If your potential employer is supplying you with a vehicle to drive he will need an accurate driving history to pass onto his insurance company.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #12
stiddy
Banned

Exactly Capri.. Deesun is on the money too, we had to fill out a form for that way back when.
Imagine being unlicenced driving a work car and writing off a high-end Merc or something.. sheesh.
lol don't even want to think about what would happen.. *thinks happy thoughts*
Old 14-05-2008, 04:13 PM   #13
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: lol, no dramas, I'll just tell him. Only driving my own car to work.
Old 14-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZH
He can certainly check
No he can not, it is a breach of the privacy act, very illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriv8
If your potential employer is supplying you with a vehicle to drive he will need an accurate driving history to pass onto his insurance company.
This is preferred but more often it is collected at the time of a claim
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #15
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=LTDHO]No he can not, it is a breach of the privacy act, very illegal.

..And to think I told him, strewth. He's happy I told him, but was spewin I didn't tell him at the interview. If he can't check it then what's the purpose of the employer needing my licence?
Old 15-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #16
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He only needs the numbers off the licence to check on the net how many points you have but would need your written permission for a printout of what the offenses are and when. He would also have to pay about $35 for it so my guess is that he just wants to check your points. Anyway why didnt you ask him?