Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The Holden Monaro has been born again – but it’s unlikely to ever reach production.

The Holden Monaro has been born again – but it’s unlikely to ever reach production.

Holden designers Peter Hughes and Simon Gow were part of a top secret project to create a two-door coupe version of the freshly-released VF Commodore.

The VF Coupe sketch has been produced in collaboration with design firm Dsine International, according to the GM Authority website.

Despite its eye-catching looks, the two-door will likely never reach production because of the high cost of engineering and developing what is a niche model; given GM already produces the two-door Chevrolet Camaro – a conceptually similar car to the Monaro – it limits its potential in the core US market.
Advertisement

However, Dsine is clearly keen to explore the potential. On its Facebook page, Dsine International said it would like to take the digital design further if not for the lack of funding.

"If we could we would! This is a concept put together by Dsine International with the help from Simon Gow and Peter Hughes from GMA (Holden) design. It was done after hours and is just a representation of what a VF coupe could look like ... We would all love a new Monaro!"

The VF Coupe is based on the regular SS VF Commodore, powered by a 270kW/530Nm 6.0-litre V8.

Holden spokeswoman Andrea Matthews confirmed company staff played a part in the VF Coupe’s design.

“The project has been done out of hours by the design team ... there are no plans to put it in production,” she said.

Since first arriving in 1968 the Monaro quickly attracted a huge following through the 1970s before being killed off in 1977.

The Holden Monaro was successfully reborn as the Commodore Coupe concept car in 1998 before going into production in 2001.

Peter Hughes received worldwide acclaim for the modern interpretation of the Monaro, which he penned as a fresh-faced designer in his 20s.

Hughes also led the design of the Coupe 60 one-off “Monaro” show car revealed on Holden’s motor show stand in 2008 as a celebration of the brand’s 60th anniversary in Australia.

The original reborn Monaro was exported and sold as a Pontiac GTO in the US and a Vauxhall VXR in the UK.
http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/mo...sffp.html#poll

That would be interesting..Monaro v Mustang

Last edited by csv8; 03-09-2013 at 11:50 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: The Holden Monaro has been born again – but it’s unlikely to ever reach productio

doubtable it would make production, especially looking like that but it looks very sleek.
Old 23-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: The Holden Monaro has been born again – but it’s unlikely to ever reach productio

Looks like a coupe 60 with VF panels... Nothing exciting...
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just another 2 door kingswood if you ask me
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe HSV might consider going this route once rear wheel drive Commodore production stops? In other words, build their own car.
Old 23-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant see it being produced either the way the Australian car industry is atm
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

That does look very Monaroish. It isn't bad when you look at it without the Blue tinge of hating the enemy.....

But you have to ask yourself, which would you choose if given an option - Zeta based Monaro, or Zeta based Camaro. Hmm....

Lukeyson
Old 23-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier View Post
That does look very Monaroish. It isn't bad when you look at it without the Blue tinge of hating the enemy.....

But you have to ask yourself, which would you choose if given an option - Zeta based Monaro, or Zeta based Camaro. Hmm....

Lukeyson

myself, if I had too choose between them. Camaro
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Trump
bitch lasagne

I like it.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #10
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Hmm, "top secret project"... what a laugh, it's a photoshopped Coupe 60, big deal. It's more than likely just a stunt to keep VF relevant in the news cycle, coupes always get the masses talking. I think the original concept with VE's face was nicer anyway-

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought Holden was on the nose from reading this forum, and now there's a "potential" for this.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
just another 2 door kingswood if you ask me
"Not the Kingswood!"
Old 23-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
The Holden Monaro has been born again – but it’s unlikely to ever reach production.
Don't you mean born again, again!
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #14
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

The side profile on that isn't what i would consider nice.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It looks alright to me, much cleaner looking than the ve gts front, much less ricer looking, side pipes need to get the bullet though.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just another ugly crapadore
Old 23-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
strobe

Dude. This is AFF. That's the most amazing piece of australian engineering drawing, and is hands down tougher/cooler/faster/quicker/has more louvers than anything ford could produce. And I'd have one if I was in the market for a 10 year old festiva....did I get that right?
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
HSVKILLA
moonlight rider

HSVKILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Wow a VF with 2 doors..
Old 23-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
BHDOGS
Banned

It should stay top secret so my eyes are never burned by its uglyess again flush down the dunny it goes with the rest of the crap
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #21
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1998.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 03:58 PM   #22
nstg8a

Looks better than the sedan...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
Marquis
HUGE MEMBER

Commondoorless

My cruiser. 1979 Zh Marquis. "T" code 351.
My garage queen :(. 1980 TF Cortina Ghia Wagon. 4.1.
My dog. 2011 Sierra
My Daily. 2012 ZH (lol) OUTLANDER xls. 4WD CVT. Sapphire blue

Wanted
Borg Warner Lsd or centre. 25 spline
Marquis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Damn, I thought my Top Secret Fordaro would have got that write up!

Old 23-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden must be worried about the Mustang and not having a 2 door competitor.
Testing the waters it seems.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #26
satria
FOXWHO

Can we just have the Camaro instead?

Mustang vs Camaro... yes please!
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #27
burnz
VFII SS UTE

as much as i'd like to see the munro, the sales volume wont be their, just like last time.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #28
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It won't happen - it was just Peter and his design boys playing around.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #29
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Trying to repeat history? Anyway, VF looks great in drawings and publicity material too, but while I'm keen to like it, it still doesn't look 'right' in real life. Don't know quite what it is, but the front and rear just don't gel.
Old 23-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ohhhh were so poor the evil unions making wages too high the worker has to take the pay cut and government give us more money OR WE WILL TAKE OUR BAT AND BALL AND GO HOME!

Hey check out our new concept car!
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post: