Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
AUIIForte

Default 40km/h over speed limit

Hay ive got a friend who was pulled over by an unmarked police car doing 140 in a 100 zone, he was rushing to see his girl friend who was very sick (no excuse to speed, I know) and the officer told him that if my mate can offer him some proof of this girls sickness (medical certificate) then he might reconsider punishment {MIGHT**.
So 2 days later my friend calls up the officer who gave him his card to contact him on, told the officer he's got the proof and all, but now the officer wants my friend to drive over to the other side of canberra (Belconnen, my friend lives near Theodore) to his office in a week to discuss what is going to happen!?!

Its got my friend in the biggest explosion of suspense because he has no idea what is going to happen... He's only got one point left on his liscence (P plater, ive got very young friends) and he relies on his car to work. Plus he's the taxi of the family, he needs to take his mum to work and bring her home, take his younger brother to school, then later tennis, then bring him back home and a few more driving jobs here and there through out the week. So pretty much, he NEEDS his liscence!

Is there anybody here who knows whats going on, or what the officer might be doing? I told my friend not to worry too much because if the officer wanted his liscence suspended, he would have already done it. Any thoughts or comments would be great. Im going to send this thread to my friends email so please dont be harsh towards him :

Cheers

AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

hmmmmmmmm, it all sounds very fishy, next i reckon your friend will be blackmailed for money from the cop, and will keep quiet for fear of losing his license at any time.

Just got a bad feeling about the whole thing.

I would accept the fine, argue in court, prove she was sick and plead to keep my license for work.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

he's ******.

140 in 100. heh, you wont get a warning for that. particularly if he has 1 point on his licence. bad luck i think.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

And for P-plates ... especially NSW ... once licence is suspended, there's now allowance to apply for a Probationary Licence either ... it's at least a 3 month suspension ... doing 40 over though ... most likely a 6 month to 1 year suspension though.

Even if you have a family member/loved one that is ill ... it's no excuse for speeding really.

I wouldn't expect to get off that one either.

Do what EA2BA said ... accept it ... and then try and plead in court.
Being on Ps with that offence though puts your friend well behind the 8 ball though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #5
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Tell him to get over to that police station, he may have found an understanding copper if he's lucky.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Kryton

id get a lift to see the cop in question.
theres a good chance that if he drives over, he's really driving over to have his car impounded.
also, make sure he has all the proof ready to deliver and a damn good reason why he shouldnt have the book thrown at him and his car/license taken off him.
sick girlfriend or not......
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the officer hasn't written a ticket for the offence already then maybe he is just making him sweat it out a bit to realise how close he actually was to loosing his licence.

Just a possibility. I am not sure what the case would be like if the officer wrote a ticket this long after the incident to be honest. Also, if the officer does go to give him notice after hearing and seeing the proof, tell him to make sure that the date of the offence is correct and the date of the notice is correct.
Not to sure if he could then make a complaint about the whole situation, always possible.

The above is if the ticket hasn't already been written out and handed (you weren't really clear, but I figured nothing had been given out as yet).

If he already has the ticket, kiss the licence goodbye.

Good luck
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Tell him to get over to that police station, he may have found an understanding copper if he's lucky.
Damn straight.

Might be a trick/something dodgey... but it doesnt sound like this mate of yours can afford to look this particualr gift horse in the mouth.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Understanding Police do exist.. I have met them first hand in situations like this when I was younger. Your friend might be getting the biggest break of his life.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If he didn't write a ticket there and then, don't worry about it. They can't write tickets the day after the event
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
If he didn't write a ticket there and then, don't worry about it. They can't write tickets the day after the event
Sure about this? I was under the impression that there were limitations between when the offence occurs and when you can be accused of said offence... but it was much longer than 24 hours...
Old 06-02-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
My wife got pulled over for doing a U turn at traffic lights (I kept telling her it was illegal ... she finally got caught).

Pulled over by a Rodeo ... was told she was cautioned and not given a ticket on the spot ... but got a ticket in the mail about 3-4 weeks later.

Officers can backdate tickets and send them out later if they like.

Wife's brother is now back in GD's at Blacktown ... and he said it can be done ... it just depends on the officer though.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #13
AUIIForte

Just to clear up a point made before, my friend didnt get a ticket, just was told that he has two days to give the officer proof of his girl sickness and then he MIGHT, just MIGHT reconsider... So then 2 days came and he called up the officer with proof and ready to head down to the station to give it in phyisical form, but the officer just said "ok, see me next week down at the detective office in belconnen and we'll discuss whats going to happen"

Man i'd be feeling really really sick in the stomach with suspense!
Old 06-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
BA_BOSS

I can never understand this one, sick gf, sick cousin, sick husband, sick wife, sick whatever. Unless you are the actual person going to give the diagnosis and administer a cure, what is the benefit in speeding?

How much time do you really save? After being pulled over, probably lost time.

If the sick person is on their own and cant get to phone, call the ambo's, but wait, how did they contact you?.

Too many times this gets abused as an excuse.

Low and behold, he's a P-plater! Now that's got to work in his favour.
BA_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally if it cost me my licence I wouldn't care. Sorry but someone I love is more dear to me than my licence.

I'm guessing this was on the Tuggeranong Parkway? Guys, 140 is nothing on this road.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Personally if it cost me my licence I wouldn't care. Sorry but someone I love is more dear to me than my licence.

I'm guessing this was on the Tuggeranong Parkway? Guys, 140 is nothing on this road.

It's still a public road and illegal though.
If only travelling a short to intermediate distance ... 40km/h over the speed limit will not get you there "that" much quicker. So it's not worth speeding just to get across to the other side of Canberra though.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #17
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah BA Boss, Basically agree with ya

Unless that sick person is in the car with you and it’s a matter of life or death to get them to medical attention, then the I am going to see a sick girlfriend excuse, just doesn’t cut it.

It now Sounds like the cop is just giving him the Run around for some laughs, Doubt he will get a ticket, if I were a Cop I would have done it there and then.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 06:14 PM   #18
AUIIForte

Yeah, thats the road. I know its nothing, ive seen plently of people driving down there doing over 160 on a normal basis!

Also with the statment about his girl friend being sick and using it as an excuse, and abusing it, well he really adores and loves his girl beyond anything ive seen in my life in real life or tv. He's crazy about her to this day, even though they've been together for almost 6 years, he still talks about her like shes some super duper dream come true. But I dont want to veer to another topic...
Old 06-02-2007, 06:18 PM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
It's still a public road and illegal though.
If only travelling a short to intermediate distance ... 40km/h over the speed limit will not get you there "that" much quicker. So it's not worth speeding just to get across to the other side of Canberra though.
Never said it wasn't illegal or shouldn't be punished in someway, I just say I'd rather lose my licence. People need to place themselves in this guys shoes.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:26 PM   #20
Kryton

Quote:
People need to place themselves in this guys shoes.
he needs to place himself in other people shoes. it only takes a split second to KILL other motorists.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
he needs to place himself in other people shoes. it only takes a split second to KILL other motorists.
You don't think properly in these situations. Its human nature.

I drive said road everyday. In peak hour there's no way you would even get to that speed, and off peak there's **** all traffic on it. It's one of the better roads in Canberra.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:49 PM   #22
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Exactly!!!!! Get your mate over to the cop shop FAST!!& be as nice as he can to the copper.
The cop is giving him the benifit of the doubt which has to apporded.[spelling]
Do the right & you might find the copper is willing to let it slide..

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 07:00 PM   #23
kocho
The Futuriser

Its his own fault if you ask me. He's only got 1 point left - what does that say about his other driving?
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #24
BA_BOSS

Quote:
Fully agree a licence is probably the least important but, what medical purpose has it served?

Someone in the car with you requiring emergency assistance would no doubt be viewed differently, in fact, the police often help and won't book you, but that is not the case in this thread.

In the case of the offender above, his licence is indeed an important issue. The author stated "he NEEDS his liscence!". Remember it's not only for work, he is the family taxi.

Sarcasm aside, it has not been portrayed as a life or death situation, just that she was very sick. Even if she is a "super duper dream come true", Would 5 - 10 minutes have made that much difference? I haven't read anywhere here that it would have.
BA_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #25
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
hmmmmmmmm, it all sounds very fishy, next i reckon your friend will be blackmailed for money from the cop, and will keep quiet for fear of losing his license at any time.

Just got a bad feeling about the whole thing.

I would accept the fine, argue in court, prove she was sick and plead to keep my license for work.
ROFL... Blackmailed in a Police station? yeah right. :

AUIIForte, tell your mate to get his sorry little bum over there (wearing smart casual clothes not daggy old singlet and jeans) and he might just get lucky.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #26
AUIIForte

By the way, the 3 points that were taken off his P's was because of crossing a red light at 4am in the morning on the way to work. Ive been to work with him a couple times and he does it all the time, but its not wrong what he did, i'll tell ya why...

Its 4am in the morning, absolutely no cars visible and you can see the other lights when they are turning from green, orange to red. He observes the opposite lights, they turn orange, as soon as they go to red, he lifts off and as soon as he crosses the line, his lights turn green. But the cop that was driving about 50 meters away says its a no no..... Hopefully that squares off the guy who spoke about my mates liscence in a way that he could be a hoon for only having a point left. (He lost 3 points for doing that)
Old 06-02-2007, 07:40 PM   #27
Kryton

not even going to bother
Old 06-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #28
XRCISM
Speed Demon

What's his proof? A doctors certifiacte saying she was unfit for work or something??
Unless he was rushing her to the hospital - why speed? Like it was mentioned before, if she was that ill an ambulance should have been called.
I don't think it's going to work in his favour that he only has 1 point left .... that kind of says something about his history.
I think he should just cop it sweet - if he gets a break then I hope he learns from it and doesn't lose that last point next month ......

I would be really interested to know what was wrong with her if that's not too personal. Or at least what he thought was wrong with her? I guess that would help with peoples opinions as to whether or not it warranted 40km over the limit!!

Good Luck to your mate
Old 06-02-2007, 07:50 PM   #29
XRCISM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
By the way, the 3 points that were taken off his P's was because of crossing a red light at 4am in the morning on the way to work. Ive been to work with him a couple times and he does it all the time, but its not wrong what he did, i'll tell ya why...
He does it all the time .... and you think it isn't wrong ...... :
Far out - that's a crazy statement!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 08:05 PM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think that we do need some clarification on the issue on hand. But I think if the guy was doing 140km/h, I'd say it would be more dire than your common cold to play that excuse. Maybe I'm assuming too much?