Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-05-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Lane Cove Tunnel's speed cameras capture "thousands"

It seems like the speed cameras were active nearly as soon as the tunnel opened. Worse still for those who frequently used the tunnel at night, the speed cameras were also adjusted for 40km/h work zones. Apparently some people have already received up to ten tickets for exceeding 30km/h in a 40 zone (the tunnel is usually 80km/h)

More here:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...205218579.html

and at www.roadwatch.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMH
Tunnel anger: lawyer plans suit

May 29, 2007 - 3:00PM

Latest related coverage

Sydney lawyer Dennis Miralis says he is planning to launch a class action against the Government and the RTA after thousands of motorists were fined for speeding in the Lane Cove Tunnel.

Some of the 10,000 motorists caught speeding in the tunnel during its first six weeks of operation have complained they were unaware the speed limit had been cut to 40kmh during late-night maintenance.

They said they did not notice warning signs or workmen and the first they knew of the lower limit was a letter informing them of a $590 fine and three-month licence suspension.

The normal speed limit in the tunnel is 80kmh.

Mr Miralis is calling for fined drivers to come forward.

He says the Government has failed to comply with variable speed limit regulations by not giving motorists advance warning of changing speeds in the tunnel.

Mr Miralis, who sued the Government over faulty speed cameras last year, says he is co-ordinating with speed camera website Roadwatch to compile a list of fined drivers.

NSW Roads Minister Eric Roozendaal has refused to listen to commuter anger and will not review the fines.

Mr Roozendaal's tough stand comes even though the tunnel operator has also joined calls for a review.

But Mr Roozendaal said speeding was a serious issue and ruled out reviewing the fines, instead suggesting disgruntled motorists pursue their case through the local court system.

"There is no safe level of speeding and drivers need to take responsibility for their actions and slow down," Mr Roozendaal said.

"If a driver feels they have particular circumstances they can go to the local court and put their case to a magistrate but it is the responsibility of drives to observe the speed limits."

He said drivers could request from the Roads and Traffic Authority a photograph from inside the tunnel at the time of the offence to indicate whether the changed speed limits were obvious.

Ian Hunt, the chief executive of the tunnel's operator Connector Motorways, said his company would also rexamine its design, signage and warnings to ensure motorists had ample warning of speed limits.

"Tunnel safety is our number one priority and we urge motorists to adhere to speed limits at all times," he said.

"It is nonetheless important that motorists have confidence that speed infringement systems are operating correctly. Those drivers who are genuinely speeding should be penalised."

AAP, Alexandra Smith and Jordan Baker

Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #2
Ridin-High

speed camera's saving lifes their....... not

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #3
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Raise the limit from 80km/h to 180km/h and see how many people are caught speeding
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
GK351

My sister lost her licence + $570 or thereabouts for doing 76 kp/h in the M5 tunnel when it first opened,

Normal operating speedlimit is 80kp/h

Speedlimit at the time was 40 kp/h due to maintanence. That was at 1 AM.

Apart from the 3 or 4 LED 40kp/h signs there were no other obvious signs placed
on the road. No traffic marker cones, no workmen or traffic control to be seen throughout the whole tunnel. Fair enough she should of been more carefull looking at the posted speed limits but come on, at least have marker cones and other safety signs even have a couple traffic controlers holding stop/slow lolipops.

I can only imagine how many others have been nailed like this.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
Falchoon

http://www.speedingfineconsultants.c...ces/legal.html
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK5766
My sister lost her licence + $570 or thereabouts for doing 76 kp/h in the M5 tunnel when it first opened,

on the road. No traffic marker cones, no workmen or traffic control to be seen throughout the whole tunnel. Fair enough she should of been more carefull looking at the posted speed limits but come on, at least have marker cones and other safety signs even have a couple traffic controlers holding stop/slow lolipops.

On your average road you only have 1 or 2 signs to show a change in speed limits. She missed twice that number, deserves the fine
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #7
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK5766

be grateful for that man. i know in melbourne most speed cameras have NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO signage.. we have it good in syd.
if you cant read the 2 or 3 warnings you deserve to get caught
Old 30-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
On your average road you only have 1 or 2 signs to show a change in speed limits. She missed twice that number, deserves the fine
Wrong. There are rules that govern the application of speeding zones and the justification to go from 80 to 40. The rta have been caught out before on this matter and cannot legally issue the fine; lane cove tunnel.

Quote: