Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Accident advice

Was involved in an accident on Thursday night, travelling in the left hand lane of a 4 lane road when the driver of an SL500 cut straight across the front of me hitting the drivers side guard and pushing me into a parked car. Luckily no one hurt but after getting out of the car the other driver proceeded to blame me for the crash, because, get this, "he didn't see me". He also claimed he didn't hit me.

Can't see why he would have stopped if the above isn't true.

But anyway I said I would call the police and get them to sort it out, he crapped himself and quickly left the scene, without providing me with his details. I got his rego number, custom plates. He is a well know nightclub owner in the Geelong area with friends in high places. Made the report to police, after seeing the other driver circle the block a few times obviously trying to see if the police had arrived yet.

This is now my predicament. There was basically no sign of damage on the side of my car, a mark on the tyre where impact was and maybe a few tiny marks, no black paint or anything from the SL. I couldn't make out much if any damage on the SL but I didn't get a close look. It was a decent impact and pushed me straight into the parked car after I jumped on the brakes.

Now i'd assume its going to come down to a case of his words Vs mine, and with him having more money to know what to do with I can just see myself being totally screwed, high priced lawyers etc. Have reported it to insurance company and they will follow it up but i'm just wondering what the police will do, if anything. He is know to provide all the booze for the police christmas party free of charge and probably gets favours in return. He left the scene of the accident without providing any details, and should, in theory, be charged for it, but if there is very little evidence of damage how am I supposed to prove it. I had a witness in my car but no one else saw it.

What can I do, am I without a leg to stand on. My car is now undriveable and being assessed if its a write off or not.

Anything I can or should do?

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 09:09 PM   #2
Mitch_

Default Re: Accident advice

should've just asked for his details for insurance and left them to sort it out - all the cops i've delt with for car accidents are normally more useless that the people that have caused them!
Mitch_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know who you are talking about, does he even have a licence at the moment? I remember a drink driving incident not long ago?
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you have a witness follow it through with your insurance company....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

But....perhaps police do not overly like nightclub owners in Geelong.....

Dont be threaten by the cretin, which is easier said than done. I would let the insurance company handle it 100%.

If he was in the right he should not have run...full stop, thats going to kill him surely.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
I know who you are talking about, does he even have a licence at the moment? I remember a drink driving incident not long ago?

yep and he wont have it for a long time from memory he blew enough to put most of us in a coma

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

So SL500 is not a typo, sounds like a SLR5000 driver to me

Last edited by Polyal; 10-09-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2011, 10:55 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Google search seems to indicate his DUI was around about 2007. Fair while ago. Can't find how long his licence was suspended for though.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Google search seems to indicate his DUI was around about 2007. Fair while ago. Can't find how long his licence was suspended for though.
nah he got done again recently i think it was australia day this year from memory or there about's but he fought it and it is not shown on his record now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
Matty4
Banana

Mate, between the cops and the insurance company they will sort it all out for you. The bonus here is you have an eyewitness to the event. I suspect the reason he ran (if what others are alleging is true) is because that allegation is true, if you get my meaning.

I have one of these now permanently on in my car whilst driving. One of these would save you any stress about who's at fault.
http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/

Cheers,
Matty
Old 11-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Make sure you provide witness details to your insurance company. Even if the witness is in your vehicle and is a relative, they are still a witness and their evidence can be used.

Make sure that the version of events your insurance company has been given is exactly what you stated above. And make sure your insurance company have the police report details.

The police in Victoria do not like to charge people with leaving the scence of an accident, despite it being an offence under s. 61 of the Road Safety Act to do so without providing your full name, address and registration number.

My advice would be to let your insurance company sort it out for you. They will not be screwed by high price lawyers etc. -- they will genuinely do their best to try and apportion blame to the other driver. At the end of the day, they save themselves considerable money if they can hold the other driver at-fault for the accident, and will do everything they can for you.

Make sure your insurance company are fully informed and keep them updated if you find out any information.

If you want any more detailed info, send me a PM - I have worked in the legal side of motor insurance claims for a number of years.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:25 AM   #12
GT-Pete
Breaking stuff...

Easy enough, put down a police statement saying exactly what happened (this guy practically hit and run on you) and give your insurance the policy case number. They will both follow it up for you. If he wants to lie to police when they call him to enquire, he's a ******* idiot. Cops aren't dumb - they'll work it out.

Done this in the past with no hassles
GT-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #13
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

As I read the OP's predicament, he is the only witness. So it is a case of his word against the other drivers. I'll put down the OP"s quoting, as I don't know how to copy and paste the quotation.

"Quote" But anyway I said I would call the police and get them to sort it out, he crapped himself and quickly left the scene, without providing me with his details. I got his rego number, custom plates. Made the report to police, after seeing the other driver circle the block a few times obviously trying to see if the police had arrived yet. "Unquote"

In saying that, the OP reporting the accident on the spot to the police, I'd be letting the polie and insurance company sort it out.

I am also glad that the OP wasn't hurt. That's the most important thing with this situation. I also hope that this turkey gets what he deserves through the court system.

So good luck with it all and please keep us updated.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #14
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

then comes the part when a muppet steps in... oh no i wasnt driving.. here he is *insert muppet*........
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
As I read the OP's predicament, he is the only witness. So it is a case of his word against the other drivers. I'll put down the OP"s quoting, as I don't know how to copy and paste the quotation.

"Quote" But anyway I said I would call the police and get them to sort it out, he crapped himself and quickly left the scene, without providing me with his details. I got his rego number, custom plates. Made the report to police, after seeing the other driver circle the block a few times obviously trying to see if the police had arrived yet. "Unquote"

In saying that, the OP reporting the accident on the spot to the police, I'd be letting the polie and insurance company sort it out.

I am also glad that the OP wasn't hurt. That's the most important thing with this situation. I also hope that this turkey gets what he deserves through the court system.

So good luck with it all and please keep us updated.
I had a passenger in the car with me, she even commented right before he hit me that he was reading a fantail wrapper. As soon as she said that to me he hit me 2 seconds later.

The insurance company will chase up the police report they said. So i'll see how it goes.

Thank you all for your advice.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #16
ACEz

probably was DUI :\
Old 11-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #17
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most likely ran away for a reason, either unlicensed or DUI. Too bad the latter can't be proven now.

Nothing gets on my nerves more than rich c***s thinking they are above the law and can do whatever they like. Good luck, hope he gets screwed.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #18
GhiaGal
Starter Motor

I got this tip from my sister who used to drive a pillar-less ( I think that's the word!) Pontiac Parisienne right hand drive.....oh such a nice car......but when she got her license, she put a camera in the glove box, took photos (in full view of the other driver)if there was even the slightest prang EG- car park scrape. Also, she told me to get the number plate of the other driver EVEN if they're as sweet as sugar. Also, there are so many 'weather/traffic' cameras in many places that we wouldn't even know about so if you need to take it further the council or someone would be able to access those public CCTV things for footage as proof for youYep, sounds duh!, obvious, but as an almost P plater here I'm gonna do that. Hope it works out well for you

Last edited by GhiaGal; 11-09-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Added comment.
GhiaGal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #19
GT-E

Most mobile phones have video and still pictures.
Everyone should record any incident that they feel needs some evidence.
Then you have proof that they or their car was at the scene. It is also helpful to record any discussions with roadrage/police/whatever. You just need to remember to use it.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #20
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
then comes the part when a muppet steps in... oh no i wasnt driving.. here he is *insert muppet*........

Got better words to refer to him as, but the swear filter won't allow them.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #21
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I had a passenger in the car with me, she even commented right before he hit me that he was reading a fantail wrapper. As soon as she said that to me he hit me 2 seconds later.

The insurance company will chase up the police report they said. So i'll see how it goes.

Thank you all for your advice.

Woops, I must have missed you had a passenger....Sorry my bad...

I reckon you'll be right, with the whole situation. So keep us all informed and I am glad no one was hurt.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:36 AM   #22
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

The SL500 driver would still be at fault even if contact with your car
cannot be properly proven. In any case, he did cut into your lane so close
as to cause you to swerve and hit something else.

If the events of the accident as you describe it can be clearly sorted out
and corroborated, you should have no problems.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #23
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch_
should've just asked for his details for insurance and left them to sort it out - all the cops i've delt with for car accidents are normally more useless that the people that have caused them!
Most simple and effective advise right there!

If only peope did that.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #24
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Most simple and effective advise right there!

If only peope did that.

It would be nice for people to get all the details, but I reckon the OP mentioned right at the beginning of the thread, the driver bolted before he could get them, hence this thread.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #25
kiero_84
Starter Motor

It's illegal to not provide details after an accident anyway, so the police can take that route if necessary
kiero_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #26
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
It would be nice for people to get all the details, but I reckon the OP mentioned right at the beginning of the thread, the driver bolted before he could get them, hence this thread.
re-read it mate, bolted after it was suggested calling the cops.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #27
kiero_84
Starter Motor

Also, if he's a high profile business person, you can do a personal search against him and check assets etc. Might help you get some contact details other than his business which is where you can send the cops
kiero_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 08:40 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The cops know who is and where to find him. They sort of indicated they will have problems dealing with him, obviously has a reputation.

The insurance company told me they will chase up the police report so i'll leave it up to them and assist them as required.

Should have taken a snap on my Iphone to prove he was there. Always think of these things later though.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #29
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The guy is a tool, not a very constructive contribution to the thread I know, but at least now I have it off my chest...........
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2011, 09:31 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Tell me about it.