Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
waters3188

Default Buying a car (low km) with no service history

Hi all. I had a look at a bf mk2 xr6t today and I was a good car with some nice mild mods but was a bit worrying because the car had no service history and no receipts for mods or recent services. The guy seems really genuine and is a full time mechanic by trade. Any thoughts on what to do from here e cause I am really keen on making the purchase???

waters3188 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
LF

Default Re: Buying a car (low km) with no service history

i bought a 2001 fairmont with a previous owner being a mechanic with no service book, he said he did all the servicing in his own time, and she runs like an absolute dream.
I'd get her checked out at another mechanics yourself if possible, but every car is different!
LF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
39ClevoUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check the engine number and body number match. And pay the 20$ or so for an online check. Had the same thing a few years ago when buying a Terri and the car had been a repairable write off and the numbers did not match. Actually the numbers were one digit off which was very suspect. Same story was a mechanic, was wifes car and needed a smaller car bla bla bla.
39ClevoUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car doesn't have service stamps but has countless receipts for oil filters and oil for every 5000km and my own history written down for it (I'm a mechanic by trade too). Maybe he gets free oil at work?
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont stamp my service book either but have just racked up 360,000 k's in a car that drives like the day we bought it . Do the usual checks and if not capable pay a mechanic to do it for you .
Old 30-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a lot easier to have the odo fiddled with when their is no up to date service stamps.
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

I got service history on mine, and keep it up to date. But have no proof of the work ive done to it

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
zilo
BANNED

check if its been written off.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #9
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats why I get all my log book services done by a mechanic. Saves trying to explain that you have done it all its life. I do the mid service oil changes myself though. Im a bit worried about purchasing cars with no log book.
Winter XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get another mechanic to check it out and if he says it looks good then it probably is.
If I was going to service my car myself, I would keep all my receipts of stuff I had bought for the car in a folder. It's better then nothing.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
JohnFalcon
Wagon Fan

I guess the op is worrying about the real mileage?? I have encountered the same issue recently, lot of sellers have no service log book provided. especially some have books, but were not up-to-dated...
WHY??? Interesting!!!
JohnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
patxbcoupe
aussie coupes belong here

Methinks some of you are reading too much into incomplete log books... If the guy is a mechanic, and wanted to do something dodgy (ie fiddle with the km's) surely he would have access to service stamps either where he works, at through a mate who works elsewhere, and could easily date and stamp the book however he liked. No guarantees , and I certainly dont know the owner or the car in question. However having worked in the motor trade for years, it constantly amazes me how people carry on about missing books etc, then proceed to buy a POS simply coz all the coupons are filled in, WTF...?

Last edited by patxbcoupe; 21-11-2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: cant spell or type
patxbcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2012, 01:33 AM   #13
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most cars would have driven at least 10k/year, and maybe more. For a BF that now adds up to somewhere between 70k - 200k's.

If you are buying this one privately, have a 'pre-purchase' inspection by an independent party if you feel unsure. Could be well worth the $100 or so that this will cost you.
They should be able to assist you with telling the overall condition, which will give an indication if it is genuine low ks.

Also, make sure there is no money owing on it. I have been burnt by that when I bought an old subaru, the owner showed me some Commonwealth bank papers 'see here, I have paid off my loan in full' (but what he didn't tell me was that there were another loan outstanding from another bank)

Cheers
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2012, 03:25 AM   #14
JohnFalcon
Wagon Fan

Exclamation Re: Buying a car (low km) with no service history

Quote:
Originally Posted by patxbcoupe View Post
Methinks some of you are reading too much into incomplete log books... If the guy is a mechanic, and wanted to do something dodgy (ie fiddle with the km's) surely he would have access to service stamps either where he works, at through a mate who works elsewhere, and could easily date and stamp the book however he liked. No guarantees , and I certainly dont know the owner or the car in question. However having worked in the motor trade for years, it constantly amazes me how people carry on about missing books etc, then proceed to buy a POS simply coz all the coupons are filled in, WTF...?
thats a good one, as you r a mechanic.
how likely would a owner LOST the service log book? in most cases, service book and manual should be kept in the glove box. i have always seen very old log books came with the cars as i have drove in the past few years. its still acceptable if they were just incomplete somehow, but not that sound to be 'dont have a log book', or 'most likely' lost anyway.
in other words, that kind of uncooperative could indicate something right?
also, from your words, i presume its better to stay away from mechanics' car. coz they r very easy access to these technical issues, and truly dominating against normal customers with that excuse.
just my pov , cheers.

as a ordinary buyer i still believe the log book is not sufficient but very necessary mean to estimate the usage and value the car.

Last edited by JohnFalcon; 21-11-2012 at 03:34 AM. Reason: add another line
JohnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are going to service your car yourself I can't understand why people don't just *write* (i.e. no dodgy workshop stamp) in the service books themselves and staple receipts for oil, filters, etc. If it all matches dates, etc and least it shows an effort to be honest and that the owner is conscious of normal service intervals.

No evidence of servicing at all to me would mean that it could have missed a LOT of regular service intervals. There are people here at my work who's new cars (i.e. still under warranty periods) have skipped 15,000km service straight to 30,000 because they were "too busy". If you can't be bothered surrendering your car for a day for servicing then I couldn't be bothered considering buying it.

Personally I'd suggest there are too many good second-hand cars out there to bother considering one you might be uncomfortable (i.e. no service history) with. Walk on an find another ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Pickup View Post
Check the engine number and body number match. And pay the 20$ or so for an online check. Had the same thing a few years ago when buying a Terri and the car had been a repairable write off and the numbers did not match. Actually the numbers were one digit off which was very suspect. Same story was a mechanic, was wifes car and needed a smaller car bla bla bla.
What do you mean the body number and the engine number. I did not think that the numbers matched on any car, after the 1980's. My BA GT has different numbers nothing matches and I know for a fact my engine has not been changed over.

Or am I getting the wrong numbers.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

To me - there is a difference between the original service books not being filled out - and the books missing completely.

It's not the sort of thing that people 'throw out' on purpose.... But it is the sort of thing that can go 'missing' if it holds some contrasting information to the actual car.
Old 21-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #18
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
What do you mean the body number and the engine number. I did not think that the numbers matched on any car, after the 1980's. My BA GT has different numbers nothing matches and I know for a fact my engine has not been changed over.

Or am I getting the wrong numbers.
No FPV's don't have matching numbers. A normal Ford does so your both right.

I think FPV's actually have FPVxxxxxxx. As a part of there engine number.

Back to the topic. The only other to watch out for in a nice low km car is that it hasn't had the speedo reset or a new dash cluster swapped in to give the impression on low km. that would be a good reason to ditch the books. As mentioned check the vin/engine numbers. Also ignore shiny paint and check underneath and switches and etc for excessive wear and tear.

2c.
Old 22-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #19
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do newish cars make that much difference IF the service books are missing or missing a service or two
Newish cars drop in price faster than the national debt,is being perdantic about filter and services really gunna make that much on resale
All my cars are serviced by me ,i dont keep recepits or document when things were done,i know when they need doin
The overall condition of any car Vs its claimed Ks should be properly checked out, main roads keep all K readings when cars change owners,cant be hard to get a car independantly inspected or check the relevant people for a cars history
If the Ks seem legit,its not on WOVR,the inspection seems good,the price is right,go for it
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #20
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have heard some hire companies will buy a brand new car and just basically never service it, bar maybe topping up oil (not changing) once in a while because they know the engines will last just long enough before they offload them.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
Jeddak
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for my two cents worth....
I am also a trade mechanic and self employed for decades now and what is important is not the book ( thought it's an advantage for sure) but the condition of the car

as one of the ever present second hand car buyers (we have never bought new ...not enough money)only the last two cars EA Falcon and now Territory have had their books. all the others back to my first in 1973 had no books but were all reliable because they were well maintained.

so either check the car carefully or get it inspected by a reputable mechanic or car club .
if the car "feels" tight and presents well and drives like it should ,it probably will be OK, modern cars especially Aussie or Japanese will miss a few services now and then and not suffer for it
O5 / 05 SX TS RWD Winter White, Driving Lights, Flaps, Racks, Turbo Grille, Ghia Bumper Trims and tailgate chrome , Colour Coded Mirrors,Tint,h/d towbar and chrome tow ball ,Sy chrome Beltline molds , leather and chrome shifter and Ghia Leather bound steering wheel
Stainless steel number plate frames and shifter quadrant, leather arm rest
All reconditioned SZ front suspension now in place
Chrome door pull inserts with chrome inner latch handles done
Jeddak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waters3188 View Post
Hi all. I had a look at a bf mk2 xr6t today and I was a good car with some nice mild mods but was a bit worrying because the car had no service history and no receipts for mods or recent services. The guy seems really genuine and is a full time mechanic by trade. Any thoughts on what to do from here e cause I am really keen on making the purchase???
Get your own mechanic or someone who knows cars to check it for you.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2012, 01:05 AM   #23
Bobman
Regulator

I've never worried about service books on any car I've purchased.

I'm also a mechanic by trade, but the service books mean very little in my opinion.

What matters is how the car was looked after (ie garaged, kept clean etc), rather than proof of random mechanic shops doing a service every 6 or so months.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #24
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

whats a service book indicate,that the oil has been changed most of the time by an apprentice,everything else is irrelevent and probably hardly checked anyway as it is checked at the rw for sale purpose.and the cost they charge for the service u could nearly give a discount on the car and still be in front.
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 05:56 PM   #25
Dave1965
Starter Motor

I have similar issue to the original poster, Looking at a very low km Ba GT , all the rta and other checks are good , the car itself is immaculate , yet to drive it but that will happen, Owner tells me the last service the dealer didnt return the service book, turns out that dealership relocated between then and now and they dont have the book, Dealer informs me and emails me service record for last 5 years and original Dealer who sold the car has record for the fist 14 months , so there is 5 years missing, Car only has 42,000 km now ,
So im not really sure , I suspect that for an investment car most who would want to purchase it down the track would want to see this history , Any comments ????????
Dave1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #26
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I service my car and keep record of work done ,dates, mileage , lubricants and parts used and reciepts for those. I buy quality oil , shockers ,brake pads , wiper blades etc .It has always impressed buyers when I sold cars in the past .
It shows regular servicing and dedication. I wouldn't buy an used car that was not maintained and without any sort of record - i prefer dealers service history for first owners .
Consumables like tyres can be a giveaway as you occasionally see a prestige or a sports car with the cheapest Chinese tyres or three different brands of tyres on one car.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 06:42 PM   #27
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Service history means barely nothing,can be dodged up anyhow.
Ive purchased cars in the past with service history and had nothing but problems with them,bought cars with no history at all and they have been awesome cars...
Just because they have service history it doesn't mean they have not been abused!
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-09-2015, 07:36 PM   #28
bazza91
Backyard Mechanic

Service history now is alot of the time forged through car yards. In my area the second hand dealers have various stamps so they just get them out stamp a book and make it look genuine. So i dont trust service history ever.

I just use the same process everytime i look at a car, bring a second set of eyes aswell,
Check all fluids for contamination and the levels. check that there are no obvious signs of malfunction/mistreatment/wear on any components, take it for a test drive and listen for noises, feel how smooth the transmission is, how it handles, how it responds when you give it a bit of a squirt. Just be incredible scrutinising of the car. Try and find a problem with it.
If you cant find a problem you are not looking hard enough.
Also do a vehicle history check.
This should prevent you from buying an unreliable car or lemon.
bazza91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #29
Dave1965
Starter Motor

Thanks guys, The vehicle checks are all good and i have someone looking at the car this weekend , on host , driving etc so i think im happy with going with what you see and feel. cheers
Dave1965 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2015, 10:55 PM   #30
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only thing to add that hasn't been said, is that if this is a concern to you, then it may also be a concern to others if you have to flip the car in the future, making it harder to sell or get a decent price.
CyberWasp is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post