Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
cram_it_frog
wombat

Default How many spot ights can you have

ok I had to move my UHF antenna and mobil phone antenna to the rear of the car for better reception

so I used the mobile bracket for the spot lights which are 100 w the center ones are 50w blue globle
so i move the small five in spot light between the main lights and center spot lights

with the bracket position ect is that legal

ok if you are in the city most of the time two are ok but I am in the out back and we need good lights

Thanks

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 
Default Re: How many spot ights can you have

6 high beam lights. That includes the set within the headlamps.
Must be mounted symmetrical about the vehicle center line and must be higher than the bottom of the headlights.
Light bars count as two I believe.

It's all detailed in the ADR rather than roadworthy requirements.

The small white ones look like they violate the rules as they are below the bottom of the headlights
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Get rid of those little ones, put HID's in your high beams and I think you'll find those 2 odd centre mounted ones will also be redundant so you could remove them as well. 55w HID in your high beams will give you 500m of penetration, (as long as they aren't H3s'). You can go up to 120w if you want to be OTT about it and still be pulling less power from the electrical system than you are now but you might be getting a little hot at that power level. 100w would be so much more than you'd need to flood the road in front and to the sides of the road like daylight.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #5
Terriplod

I am in Tassie and from my knowledge it is" must mnot be higher than 1.5m and be in pairs and not protrude or extend beyond the body of the normal limits of the vehicle" there has been uproar about lightbars as they are not 2 individual beams. Each state will vary as in each highway patrols opinion will vary. Cheers my 2c worth.
Terriplod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

These days you do not need many lights to totally illuminate the road, for example, 2 high quality HID bulbs replacing the high beams (I would go 4300K and 75W as going too high can bleach the chrome and/or melt the plastic light housing) then add a lightbar. This will give you all the light you will ever need. The HID's for long distance 100-500m and the lightbar for 0-200m coverage. You'll need good wiring and a reasonable alternator.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #7
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Would this be enough???

Last edited by Kingsley; 09-07-2016 at 07:28 PM.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Leave regular halogen lights in low and high (maybe upgrade to Phillips +130 xtreme vision globes).

Low:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product...on-130-h4-twin

High:

http://www.powerbulbs.com/au/product...on-130-h7-twin

Get a 12 or 18 LED light bar if you want a wide spread close up to the car, but they're pretty pricey for a Great White bar, not so sure on the cheapo Ebay specials.

You don't have much room on that bar to mount much in the middle unfortunately.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-07-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpursuit05 View Post
Would this be enough???
LOL. These guys....they only hit their targets when shooting because the animals retina's are melted.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
cram_it_frog
wombat

thanks for the replays lots of strange ute,s out this way mine is tame com paired to them

yes it is a good idea to upgrade the main lights and that is on the to do list re spot lights I will stick to what I have f or now last time I put a nice HID lights I hit a dam emu which came out of no where

got less than what I had paid for the lights from the insurance company which I have now changed but I am retired and on a pension so I will save up and keep my eye out for some good lights at the right price

once this drought breaks the roads will be full of wild life so I have some time to wait

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned

Old 14-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #11
cram_it_frog
wombat

ok went to local mechanic and asked about the lights he was not concerned about the location of the light more so a the sharp edge of the bracket

so he suggested to move down to the next level

the dogs found a bisket I had dropped his name is scotty and is off a local station

the little tuff of hair like horns suite his style and he is the devil incarnate some days lol

What Ford s have I owned

Last edited by cram_it_frog; 14-07-2015 at 01:07 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #12
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You replaced the colour-coded side mirror cover on your passenger door too?
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
cram_it_frog
wombat

no mirror is the same it first image was in a car port and not in the light

What Ford s have I owned

Old 14-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #14
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Those lights are all a waste of time. LED light bars are getting cheap on ebay now!
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #15
cram_it_frog
wombat

led bars are good but I need some thing that gives distance

one of the major problems out this way is dead roos we get lots of huge road trains come out this way and some time at night you might come across more than ten dead roos

Good friend hit one last year damaged fuel tank and other bits and bobs

you cannot see dead roos and sheep at night with normal lights till it is too late

that is why I use the spot lights

thanks for the feed back I am planning on getting a light bar but that is not on top of the list

I actually come from Perth and traveled are over WA but here in Broken Hill driving is a totally different there are few fences and what fences there is many are damaged you have stock sheep cattle Kangaroos Emus so and they say over hundreds of thousands of wild goats wandering the roads in summer time we have had to slow down past yunta at night because there were so many roos out and about

because it is 500ks from Adelaide and you only get a set amount from remote assistance for medical visits to Adelaide you end up driving home at least that last hour or so in the dark

each trip iI decided on what speed we travel I all depends on how much wild life we see , last Christmas it was really bad so we slowed down and some guy came flying past us gave me the finger but a hour later we meet up again he had a new bonnet empblem and nice gray Kangaroo

i know from experience it would take 3 hours before a tow truck could come to help him but I did not tell him I just made sure he was ok and left

What Ford s have I owned

Last edited by cram_it_frog; 14-07-2015 at 04:17 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #16
cram_it_frog
wombat

This is the mildura road some has fence but a lot does not 300 ks and long flat section s

There is one road house in the entire trip and no houses nothing

What Ford s have I owned

Old 14-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #17
Itsme
Experienced Member

LED lights are useless for long distance but still worthy to have as they sure do light up the surrounding area of the road, combination of spotlights & led light bar will give you the best of both worlds.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 05:30 PM   #18
cram_it_frog
wombat

trublu yes light bars are great for hilly terrain

I have seen car lights on the Mildura road and passed them an hour later it is so flat

What Ford s have I owned

Old 14-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my interests over the years dealing with four wheel drives and owners is "distance".
People seem to think you need to see a kilometer or two ahead. Nope. You really, really don't. Honestly.
There is a thing called target fixation...you will find that unconsciously if you can see that far ahead, you will start to focus that far ahead and ignore what is going on where you really should be concentrating...a few hundred meters ahead of you...that's where the danger is going to pop out.

You see it all the time with fourbie owners...far too much emphasis on outright distance than seeing clearly right there in front of you. With our Triton I have the already-excellent headlights and high beam, couple with two...yes, just two...150mm spotlights, on a spot and the other spread. I can see adequately and quite far enough straight ahead, but out to the sides and straight in front of me is very clear and lit up like daylight. I don't want to know about a kangaroo a kilometer away...I want to know about the ones sitting just off the roadside 50 to 100 meters away...

Also, there is something I have called "low beam travel distance" when you meet someone with super bright long distance HID lights...you are dazzled and have to drop your high beam and spotties, as does he...and then you drive on...and on...and on...finding he was a hell of a long way off. All that time you are travelling on low beam, wiping out any benefit you may have got from your fifty million candlepower of spotlights.

Do yourself a favour...fit good quality bulbs to your headlights (or HID if that's allowed...remember the ADR rules for them are actually there for a very good reason), and a pair of good spotties, possibly with a light bar if you can fit one in for spread up close where it's vitally important.

There comes a point where it's less for night time vision and more as a posing point...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #20
olfella
Cranky old bastard

A new tech document put up by Russ and could be well worth a read as to your best requirements.http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...02#comment1602

I drove that Mildura road in daylight and spotted heaps of emus and goats. There is no way I would attempt it at night.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #21
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Careful not to get one of these. Defected for a 52" LED light bar.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #22
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're still ironing out the laws regarding light bars as far as I know. That's because the ADR's say lights must be fitted "in pairs". A light bar is "one" even though it's made up of many smaller lights. This led to kits or home made things like a piece of metal as a divider placed in the middle to blank off the center making it "two" lights.

However given how common they are now and the common knowledge that the law hasn't kept up with it, you have to have a real unlucky day to find a cop who will defect you for it.

Now those Transport Department guys...that's a different matter...
Old 14-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #23
Terriplod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
They're still ironing out the laws regarding light bars as far as I know. That's because the ADR's say lights must be fitted "in pairs". A light bar is "one" even though it's made up of many smaller lights. This led to kits or home made things like a piece of metal as a divider placed in the middle to blank off the center making it "two" lights.

However given how common they are now and the common knowledge that the law hasn't kept up with it, you have to have a real unlucky day to find a cop who will defect you for it.

Now those Transport Department guys...that's a different matter...
Yep that's what I said and they are enforcing it down here (Tassie) some set ups are beyond ridiculous. I have 55w 6000k low+ high and 130+ in the fog lights more than enough and HID has awesome effects on reflecting signs, cats eyes and any road safety markings. If you need more lights to see my opinion is slow down and survive.
Terriplod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #24
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terriplod View Post
Yep that's what I said and they are enforcing it down here (Tassie) some set ups are beyond ridiculous. I have 55w 6000k low+ high and 130+ in the fog lights more than enough and HID has awesome effects on reflecting signs, cats eyes and any road safety markings. If you need more lights to see my opinion is slow down and survive.
One thing I've noticed out here is the proliferation of brand new road signs, some quite large, which are extremely reflective...blindingly so.
Even ordinary high beam, much less adding spotlights, dazzles the hell out of you and makes you drop to low beam (and even then they are very bright) until you pass it and can go back to high beam. I've noticed this in the Triton, my Celica, and on my motorbike, so headlight height doesn't really affect the effect.
The fun bit is when they are located in kangaroo areas (ie: everywhere), and you are forced to drop your headlights and wait for the dazzle to subside before putting them on again. Several times I've been surprised by roos sitting either on or beside the road.

Not entirely sure how "safe" these new signs are making things, but brighter and brighter lights (even standard car headlights these days) only makes it worse...
Old 14-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #25
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've become a habitual "fog light" driver this winter as I'm now arriving at work before 6:30am and I only see maybe 2 cars in my 100km/h sections of the drive (I turn the foggys off when I get to 60km/h zone).

With just normal FG lights ive got plenty of distance, etc .. But foggys seem to throw out the sides and give me more visibility at the edge of the road. Having more lights wouldn't help me ..

.. An infra-red HUD .. Now that would be useful!!
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 10:52 PM   #26
cram_it_frog
wombat

I have done the Mildura road a lot of time at night if you take you time you are ok but there is a lot of wild life and I have seen so many cars damaged by wild life both in day time and night time

I plan on getting upgrade to the main lights I did have all my last car done but on a pension I cannot do every thing in one go

What Ford s have I owned

Old 14-07-2015, 11:07 PM   #27
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I previously wouldn't drive at night without spots and floods where I live. Now, since the police defected me I'm in that unsafe situation. Solution will be to fit two smaller spot/flood led bars below line of sight. The cop that defected me was pretty good actually. Took the time on the side of the road to go throw the rule book with me and explain what options I had to keep it legal.
Old 14-07-2015, 11:31 PM   #28
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
I previously wouldn't drive at night without spots and floods where I live. Now, since the police defected me I'm in that unsafe situation. Solution will be to fit two smaller spot/flood led bars below line of sight. The cop that defected me was pretty good actually. Took the time on the side of the road to go throw the rule book with me and explain what options I had to keep it legal.
But not good enough to let you take it off and let you go without the green sticker?
Old 15-07-2015, 12:26 AM   #29
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T View Post
Careful not to get one of these. Defected for a 52" LED light bar.
May I ask as to what position it was mounted? this I think could have been the real reason why you were defected.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2015, 12:37 AM   #30
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was the position, not being connected to high beams, and not being paired. I.e. One bar instead of two. It was mounted above the windscreen. The local cop who cleared the defect reckoned it was pretty harsh defecting me too. Luckily I could clear the defect in town and not have to make the 300km return trip to VicRoads.