Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

Default best bit of driving ive ever seen (can you feel the sarcasm?)

ok, heres a pearler...

was travelling west on the m4 about 6pm last night, when as approaching the northern road overpass i noticed a black lexus and another car just infront of him slowing down to walking pace in the fast lane. I was also in the fast lane (had just passed a car in the centre lane), thought WTF, is something on the road?. Then the cars come to a complete stop. Zero speed....in the fast lane....on a freeway...

I slow suddenly (dont have much of a choice), look in my blind spot, have to let the car i just passed repass me before i can change into the centre lane.

As i drive (im now accelerating back from a standstill) past these two i notice what the car infront was. i will give you 3 guesses:

a.) a car built be the worlds biggest car maker, sold worldwide as the 4 cylinder equivalent to the avalon (sorry, aurion)
b.) a car that carries badges such as altise, sportivo and grande.
c.) a toyota camry.

so, what were they doing?.
well, the camry driver was turned around looking back at the lexus driver and giving him 'unappreciative gestures' while the lexus driver was ushering him to get out of the way. as the camry driver decides enough fun has been had, he accelerates, moves over to the middle lane, lets the lexus through, then jumps back in the fast lane(!), to give the lexus a few flashes of the high beam!.
I can only assume that because said camry wouldnt get out of the fast lane, the lexus has given him abit of the old nose to tail slipstream manouvere, so the camry in all his wisdom has thought: what a great idea, this i'l teach him. i'l just stop.

Brilliant.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And times like these there is never a copper to be found :

What an idiotic thing to have done!!! Geez, some people shouldn't have a car let alone a licence :
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

This should be in the: what not to do on a freeway section of the forums :hihi:
I Thought 50y.o+ camry drivers were bad enough when they sit on 85kmh in the right hand lane.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:11 AM   #4
Scott

I guess from your story that the Lexus wanted him out of the right lane and had given him a few flashes of the lights. I think flashing of the lights is about the best way to move people...... allthough some just think you are being a *****. A quick flash just seems less offensive than using the horn.

In all my driving, it seems that flashing of the lights to make a point is most common in Melbourne. It is pretty common there whilst Brisbane for example there is just constant blaring horns everywhere.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
Dilan

I always give a quick flash of the lights! The driver in the Camry was just a ****er. But stereotypes are bad mmmkay?
Dilan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:36 AM   #6
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilan
I always give a quick flash of the lights! The driver in the Camry was just a ****er. But stereotypes are bad mmmkay?
was i stereotyping? :P

stereotypes happen for a reason!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Scott

doesn't everyone type with two fingers? :
Old 07-11-2006, 10:46 AM   #8
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the first time i read about something like that. A lot of drivers today are unbelievable (in a worst way).
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
FordFan86
meow

I had someting similar to this a few nights ago.. I was driving home from work at about 9:40, I was in the right hand lane... Traffic was clear in the left so I moved over (as you do), easily leaving 2 car lengths between the guy behind me. There was a car coming up going a few k's slower than the 80k limit, the who I just pulled infront of pulls out into the right hand lane and keeps moving... I finally catch up to the dude infront of me, indicate to get back into the right lane (After checking blind spot and being able to see BOTH the other guys lights in my side mirror) I pull over... and the ****** flashes me?!?! I almost got out at the set of lights up ahead... I left it, he caught up as I got a red light 5 mins ahead... in an 80k zone I was going 60 in the left lane and him VERY slowly creeping up in the right hand lane... I gave him a look over... he didn't budge his head, both hands on the wheel and just keep looking straight... was a dude in his 40's with an older lady in the passenger seat... in a VP...
sick mate.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #10
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He came to a complete stop in the right lane of the M4? Sorry but WTF? Multiple people could have been killed because of this dimwit, hope someone got his rego.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #11
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was stopped, waiting to turn right onto roundabout at Prospect HWY exit from the M4 heading west towards Blacktown. You know the one where the corner seems to come up too quick for some people (hence the banged up gaurdrail). I hear a screech of brakes and look in the mirror to see a light truck with a green P Plate totally out of control and heading sideways towards me. I don't know how he missed but I told him what I thought of his driving. The number plate was ULTMTE look out for him.

Also saw an accident outside Westpoint. Two cars had had a minor bump and they just left them side by side in taking up TWO of the three lanes. All of the traffic had to get into one lane to get past them. Both drivers were out of their cars and both were standing in the middle of the road talking on mobile phones.

You have to realise that most of these Camry drivers would have been lucky to have owned a COW (or a CANOE in the case of the truck driver) where they came from.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #12
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
He came to a complete stop in the right lane of the M4? Sorry but WTF? Multiple people could have been killed because of this dimwit, hope someone got his rego.
Exactly! If I saw the incident I would have taken his rego number and reported him to the police. Somebody could have been killed if they ran into stationary cars on a freeway.

And so the breakdown of society continues....

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They stop all along the M4 to have "family meetings".
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Did you get the plates of this camery. Bitching on forums is all well and good, if people start ringing in to traffic police regarding matters like this and make sure you get a report number, the police may actualy target these things. (well mabey not, seing it doesnt rake in the cash)

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #15
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having seen some pretty bad driving on Saturday (not to mention dangerous and nearly accident causing) It's great when an unmarked cop car see's and pulls them over ;)

To that ***** i hope she got reamed.
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #16
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
He came to a complete stop in the right lane of the M4? .

a...complete....STOP
Old 07-11-2006, 01:11 PM   #17
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Did you get the plates of this camery. Bitching on forums is all well and good, if people start ringing in to traffic police regarding matters like this and make sure you get a report number, the police may actualy target these things. (well mabey not, seing it doesnt rake in the cash)
i actually couldnt get the plate because the lexus was RIGHT behind him, and as i passed the canary i was too busy speeding back up (so i didnt get tail ended) to look back at his front plate.

if i'd been the lexus i would of followed him home. not done anything after that. just followed him home and played with his head.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:56 PM   #18
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Stopping on the M4 happens all the time in peak hour trying to exit at Russell st Emu Plains sometimes you can queue back over the river bridge in the breakdown lane,also happens to a lesser extent at the Northern rd exit. Both these are just as dangerous as stopping your Camry in the right lane but do you think the pollies will fix it quickly? No they play pass the parcel each saying its not their problem.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:18 PM   #19
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The stereotyping argument is a hard one to run but I've always thought there's some correlation between the quality of a car's design (as opposed to its construction) and the intelligence of its buyers. There are thinking people's cars and there are cars for people who don't think. This guy is obviously stupid beyond belief (as befits his car) but the only thing that doesn't add up is..... aggressive Camry driver? Mostly they seem so doped out I wonder if they're not on some illicit substance. Maybe this one was on ice.

Pity you couldn't get his plate drcook, he deserves to lose his licence. Wasn't it also raining out there last night?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:28 PM   #20
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

On that M4, if its three lanes, be in the left lane as a matter of course. The middle lane is not the left lane.

I'd have jailed the Camry driver 12 months on this evidence, all things being equal.

Question: Once stopped - DID the Lexus driver switch on the hazard warning lights????

DID the lead vehicle, the Camry????

I want that action ingrained in people, crash scenes etc, - its in ALL our handbooks to do so.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 PM   #21
Scott

And I'd have thought the Camry badge would have been warning enough.... I live and learn.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:12 PM   #22
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Typical Camry driver, totally removed from reality.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 09:17 PM   #23
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both drivers were possibly in error here. I'd book them both after hearing both sides of the story. They'd at least both be booked for stopping on the motorway/freeway.

There is no excuse for stopping in the overtaking lane at all. it would violate stop on a motroway/freeway laws as well as being classed as dangerous driving.
If the Lexus driver was tailgating in an attempt to get the Camry driver to move over or speed up then he or she is a fool. In a situation like this you slow down, increase the distance between you and the car in front and move over into the left (middle in this case) lane yourself. You don't attempt to intimidate another driver or try to force a driver whose skill level and judgement you don't know to do what you want them to.
Now, if the Camry wasn't overtaking in the overtaking lane then they are certainly in the wrong. That's irrespective of the speed they are doing. There is no law (AFAIK) that you need to do the speed limit in the overtaking lane - only that you only use that lane for overtaking. If the case is that the Camry was not overtaking then the Lexus is also guilty of the same by travelling in the overtaking lane behind the Camry while not overtaking.

Both of them are sensless idiots that need a long period of no license before they might learn a lesson and learn what driving is all about instead of what seems to be a "king" (make that kid) of the road mentality.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #24
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Saw a similar thing happen on parramatta rd ashfield today, and the consequences were an overturned hilux and a 3 times over written off camry station wagon.

Guy in a Hilux 4wd gets a blow out and stops in the middle lane. Car behind (older style camry - not curried (equivalent to rice maybe?)) has no time to stop and goes up the back then into a power pole. Hilux flips on its side, Parramatta road closed. Thank God nobody was killed.

Similar thing happened to me on the M5 a couple of months ago in the E-tag lane. Guy in a camry goes down the right lane (a 70km/h no stopping zone), realises he doesn't have a tag and then stops, reverses and can't understand who is shouting at him on the PA system that is fixed along the distance of the concrete barriers. A semi almost ran up the back of him. Got his licence plate, called the cops (so did the m5 people) and half an hour later he was arrested for reckless behaviour, licence cancelled on about 8 charges. Apparently, it happens often with a certain section of the community who can't read the yellow signs that say do not stop, do not reverse.

As for the degradation of our society as mentioned in an earlier post; has anyone else noticed how fewer and fewer people indicate to change lane anymore?

Quote: