Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Country town parking

I just came back from a weekend in the bush I have been wondering ever since I was a kid why do people in country twons always park backwards even in angle parking on the main street I parked normally like I do in the city nose first as I was busting for the toilet and couldn't wait when I came out of the pub I was getting funny looks from the locals I even overheard one guy saying he coldn't wait till the school holidays were over and all the tourists went away didn't know us parking funny bothered them that much

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Country town parking

Wait until you visit NSW and apparently its the law? I found out $100 later parked 11pm on a quiet street, and the ticket for 'Not parked rear to kerb' was done by a police officer who obviously had nothing better to do.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
superfly
Go the Hogster!

It's easier to pull out of the parking spot when you've reversed into it.

I've noticed the same thing in country towns. Maybe they all like making quick getaways

Back in the early 90s I was fined $60 for this in Parkes.
Old 21-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

Who cares, would not worry about it as you did not break any laws unless it was sign posted stating you must reverse in.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have only come across this in country NSW, not in Vic. It's weird!
Old 21-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Wait until you visit NSW and apparently its the law? I found out $100 later parked 11pm on a quiet street, and the ticket for 'Not parked rear to kerb' was done by a police officer who obviously had nothing better to do.
This is a link to NSW parking laws which states nose in the kerb unless sign states otherwise.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...s_handbook.pdf
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I live in country NSW and we have both situations, nose in/rear in, in different towns
in my area.............. Go figure ? It's usually sign posted.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

As others have said, not all towns have rear to kerb parking.

Rear to kerb parking is a great way hold up traffic in main streets (ie. it's a pain unless you live there).
It's also good for the local spare parts people as the sell a heap of left rear mudflaps that have been torn off by the extra high kerbs.
Old 21-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #9
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
This is a link to NSW parking laws which states nose in the kerb unless sign states otherwise.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...s_handbook.pdf
There was a sign obstructed by tree branches, it was at the other end of the parking lot and it was 11pm at night and I had just driven 6 hours.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

I have learnt a lesson in recent years when I would nose in first at shopping centre car parks in a small hatch, only to come out later and find Lancruiser/Patrol type wagons park both sides of me, try backing out then, with minimal vision either side with these large 4wd beside you! Almost every 2nd person (or more) up this way drive these SUV type vehicles.
I now always pratice, 'whenever it is possible' reverse into parking spots, its alot easier to get out.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92 View Post
I live in country NSW and we have both situations, nose in/rear in, in different towns
in my area.............. Go figure ? It's usually sign posted.
does it need to be sign posted
when at bathurst you virtually have to reverse in don't you. why anyone would try driving in at bathurst is beyond my belief
and when the rule is to drive in, reversing in would probably be just plain wrong

from the parking spaces i have seen it is blatantly obvious - especially if others have already parked
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
As others have said, not all towns have rear to kerb parking.

Rear to kerb parking is a great way hold up traffic in main streets (ie. it's a pain unless you live there).
As opposed to nose to kerb where people have to reverse into oncoming traffic? Reversing out of a space isnt exactly safe when you might have a 4wd on both sides of you.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its Safer.

Honestly if I was given the choice, I would back in every time over nose in, Especially on public roads.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

never heard of having to reverse park in. if you did that in any country town in SA then they would look at you funny....
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #15
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Different towns are set up differently.

Moree in NSW for example is a reverse park town, as the parking spaces are angled back so it would be impossible to drive in, much better IMO as most people have large 4x4 vehicles, and reversing out would be impossible without causing some sort of accident.

Go to Goondiwindi just over the border in Qld and its drive in front first only, as the parking spaces are angled that way, if you are by yourself it's often pot luck as you need to reverse out, as you are reversing into traffic in the main street blind most of the time. Unless you have an offsider to assist you and guide you out.

PS: When in Rome do as the Romans do, and generally if you want to not look like a dick see what the locals are doing and follow suit

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #16
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

rear to kerb is far safer as you don't have to reverse out into moving traffic, easier to see what's coming. all our angle parking is rear to kerb with signs saying so but some people are too stupid to read signs and go nose in on an angle opposite to everyone else. you would think with signs and everyone else at the different angle they would think, but no they just ignore it all

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #17
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnaldo View Post
I have learnt a lesson in recent years when I would nose in first at shopping centre car parks in a small hatch, only to come out later and find Lancruiser/Patrol type wagons park both sides of me, try backing out then, with minimal vision either side with these large 4wd beside you! Almost every 2nd person (or more) up this way drive these SUV type vehicles.
I now always pratice, 'whenever it is possible' reverse into parking spots, its alot easier to get out.
How do you get the trolley to the rear of the car when you reverse in?
Or large objects into the boot of your car when backed in, particularly if the bloke who parks behind you moves right up close?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 01:15 AM   #18
Falconson71
Starter Motor

Yeah they're all about this in my town, only on the main though. Got reeeeally good at my 45 degree parks working as a pizza delivery dude. I think it's mainly because it's easier to leave. I do hate that traffic gets held up whenever someone decides to park, all because they don't know how to pull all the way over, and aren't courteous enough to let others pass before they try. I've seen massive semi's have to gear all the way down and stop because of some of these fools.
Falconson71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #19
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's the done thing out here at work because the damn mines all mandate rear-in parking.
In Gracemere where we just got a house the main street is reverse-in as well...it's super fun, and means people usually have to have a couple of goes at lining up in a park, because you're watching the traffic roaring up behind you, trying to line up with lines you can;t really see because they're on the opposite side of the car to where you sit, and then you have to worry about graunching your rear end on gutters that are hard to judge. Even with reverse cameras it isn't much easier.

...great idea...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 01:50 AM   #20
robbyj
Rob

never seen or heard of an accident from someone reversing out of a park backwards.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #21
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Main street of Batemans Bay is rear to kerb (or at least it was when I was last there).

It can be hazardous to even drive through there, as a number of them seem to think they need to swing reverse their Subaru wagons and Volvos as though they are parking an articulated vehicle.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #22
4stanger