Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Thoughts on a Lexus LS400?

I am currently whipping around in an old V6 camry. It doesn't set the world on fire and it is does everything I need, when I need it. The stand out for me though is the 3VZ-fe engine. Its smooth, powerful enough and is a lovely thing to pedal about during my daily drive.

Which brings me to a Lexus, if I am satisfied with my V6 Camry, I have been thinking that I would really appreciate the 1UZFE V8 and the extra space and build quality that the lexus would bring. I have found one for sale, suprise suprise, owned by an elderly gentleman at my bowls club. Its a 1994, four speed with 90,000 ish kms.

The research I have done into the 1UZFE indicates that it is a seriously well engineered engine, supposedly taken from a CART engine or something. These days the 190kw it produces isnt much chop, but having never driven one I am assuming it would be smooth and 'strong'?

Im not after a sports car or a drag strip beast, just a comfortable daily drive for my 50km round trip rural commute.

Has anyone had any experience with one?
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Thoughts on a Lexus LS400?

Pretty well built car, you'll never have any issues with the engine other than that the timing belt is a real bastard to change.

I think Mik on this forum owns an LS400.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2015, 12:13 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not a Ford
Old 20-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #4
lownloud
Ford Junkie

I looked into getting one a few years ago. Seem to remember there was potentially expensive suspension issues which turned me off....
Old 20-09-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
deluxe_

its a real boat
deluxe_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Pretty well built car, you'll never have any issues with the engine other than that the timing belt is a real bastard to change.

I think Mik on this forum owns an LS400.
Thanks Big Damo , indeed i do , yes there is a bit of work in the timing belt, but still worth it imo.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 03:06 PM   #7
marty351
Shenanigans..............

As long as it's faster than an aurion.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Not bloody likely
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 04:31 PM   #9
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Seriously faster than an Aurion, what's wrong with you?

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #10
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Thanks Big Damo , indeed i do , yes there is a bit of work in the timing belt, but still worth it imo.
Cheers Mik, can you elaborate on the timing belts?

What are some of the high points of your LS?
Old 20-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais View Post
I am currently whipping around in an old V6 camry. It doesn't set the world on fire and it is does everything I need, when I need it. The stand out for me though is the 3VZ-fe engine. Its smooth, powerful enough and is a lovely thing to pedal about during my daily drive.

Which brings me to a Lexus, if I am satisfied with my V6 Camry, I have been thinking that I would really appreciate the 1UZFE V8 and the extra space and build quality that the lexus would bring. I have found one for sale, suprise suprise, owned by an elderly gentleman at my bowls club. Its a 1994, four speed with 90,000 ish kms.

The research I have done into the 1UZFE indicates that it is a seriously well engineered engine, supposedly taken from a CART engine or something. These days the 190kw it produces isnt much chop, but having never driven one I am assuming it would be smooth and 'strong'?

Im not after a sports car or a drag strip beast, just a comfortable daily drive for my 50km round trip rural commute.

Has anyone had any experience with one?
wow 90,000 k`s , i would be after that one !

I will give you the goods and the bads as i see them/have experienced them .

Goods

magnificent 1uzv8 , very reliable and smooth , and despite its modest power rating does have a turn of speed, though it may not be a lot different in speed capability to your camry i suspect , but a v8 winding up just feels so nice .
the pre 96 1uzfe engines had nice big con rods in them , so its an ideal engine for a bit of hot rodding .
the whole driveline from engine to diff is just a nice piece of work , it came equipped with a damper between the auto and tailshaft back in 1990 and this contributes to the smooth shifting and reliable aisin 4 speed auto.

the car from the factory was exceeding well built , common items that you may experience that give you trouble in other cars , electric windows failing short term , door handles falling off, clunky diffs ......... just not going to happen.
rust seems to be not an issue with these cars , mines 25 years old and its amazingly good

The car is well insulated and is very quiet .

the lexus and celsior models came out with various levels of gear in them , and toyota/lexus went all out in these cars to give you an unbelievable amount gear , from chemical impregnated windscreen option to back massagers , air bag suspension, among other things that you probably still wont see on some up market models today, although the very top specced ones probably are not as common, despite that ,even what i call the poverty pack is still a very nice old limo.
its very nice riding car with either air bags or standard suspension.
nice electric seats , even the head rests motor up and down, seat belt adjusters too.
rear stereo controls in the arm rest on some models.
nice huge battery, and in general every thing is built to last .
4.5 litre washer bottle.
nice little fold away basic tool kit on the left side of the inner boot panel with air bag shut off for servicing, 6 stacker rhs of the boot, factory sub woofer, and space saver spare.
lockable boot with a key on the lower dash so it cannot be opened by valet
steering wheel/column motors in and out with the key if you so choose, very good for big fellas ;).
theres quite a few around with sunroofs .

The bad.
the earliest ls400 will be 25 years old, this brings up the issue of parts , while where very popular in the US , it does seem parts are getting a bit thinner on the ground, engine parts, gasgets, filters belts odds and ends etc are no problem , driveline stuff mostly still not a problem, although if going to some after market places you may have to order stuff in and there may be a wait,
if you go to toyota or even lexus for something out of the ordinary , they will come up with we have no listing for that, too be expected for an old import i suppose, but that means a bit more leg work .

because the vehicle is built more like a limo the steering has bugger all feel to it and it does feel like a battleship at times particularly in parking situations.

Air bag suspension is expensive to replace if it came equipped with it, mine was fitted with it , unfortunately replacement air bag struts where 4 k+ just to get them to the door step, most people that have the air bag suspension replaced them with plain old struts (me too sadly ), ............... which can be had fairly cheaply ,
down side is standard units are exceedingly soft and adds to the boaty feel, the air bag system was second to none imo.

On the inside of the car, if it has been cared for as it should , there wont be too much wrong , although the led display on the heater controls do have a tendancy to go black when they get long in the tooth, but you can buy new displays, globes in the heater control buttons/tach /speedo can suffer failure when they get long in the tooth like anything with old electronics, but in general they are pretty good .
check the bonnet struts for pressure if the heavy bonnet comes down on the back of your neck ..... it hurts.
One other thing some models have the cruise control limited to 103 kph , mine is , this can be fixed by pulling the instrument cluster out and cutting one wire apparently, i have not got around to it as yet.

my first bit of advice would be to take it for a drive , some might not like the boaty vagueness of the drive.

just for a laugh let me tell you , i have the au xr6 ......with konis which is probably one of the best cars to drive on the planet with amazing steering and good handling and general feel, and is just an easy daily driver, i hop into my lexy and it is the total opposite, it actually feels a bit arkward/ungainly a some of the time, but not really in a bad way .

By the same token , it has some very nice attributes that just compel you to want to cruise down the road, its quietness , and feel of quality, the controls, very nice seats and that magnificent v8 engine , the controls in the car the way they are laid out and operate, i love mine.
the car is a contradiction , sometimes it can be a headache getting the parts at the right price,

the steering rack for example , you wont be replacing one or pulling it out at to fix something for whatever reason at 100,000 k`s because they where built cheaply, ............................. these things where built to last and go and go and go , but if you where to need to buy newy , expect to open your wallet a lot wider than say the $350/400 bucks ford charges for a cheap commy/falcon unit .

My best advice would be to go for a drive in the ls400, just be aware if the car has not been maintained it might cost you $$$$$$ to get it up to scratch, check for oil leaks , suspension wear, servicing .
i would even go as far to have it sussed out with an racv check, it might save you monetary pain.
the truth of the matter is for general handling the v6 camry is more modern and probably drives/handles better in a lot of ways, is easier to get parts for.
by the same token , the ls400 is still an awesome smooth and comfy bit of gear , but the handling is an acquired taste.
From memory the LS has a 4.11 diff , so it is surprisingly spirited off the mark, on the odd occasion now and again just for the hell of it when im on the front row of the grid i give it the berries just to wind out that magnificent little v8 up to the the speed limit , blows the cobwebs out too.

fuel economy for me driving like a gentleman is very close to the xr6, with both driven identical they are about as close as a litre difference more often than not,

doing about 80 % burbs and 20 % freeway id say its consistently between 13 and 14 litres per 100 k`s, which i think on the whole is not to bad considering its about 150 kg heavier than the xr6.

As big Damo mentioned doing the timing belt is a bit of work , and there is a fair bit of labor doing it, usually while its all apart you do the water pump while you have access to it, plug leads, distributor caps and rotor buttons x 2 of, idler/pulleys /hydraulic tensioner, cam seals, thermostat o ring , cranshaft seal , timing belt, etc, (have i forgotten anything ??? ).
once its done your right for x amount of k`s , some people say 100,000 k intervals , other say more, personally i like to use factory bits for the service, these are nice quality.

later in the model life they added in vvt and increased the capacity to 4.3 L, lightening the spinning mass with thinner conrods for a bit more fuel economy and more responsiveness and continued to ........whats the word for it ....revise the specs to give it a bit more go and changed the look of the car, but im a bit partial to the old luxo tank look, but thats just me.
i hope that bit of insight into my luxo barge is of some help, like anything they are not perfect , but have a lot of nice touches and build quality that might sway you .
definitely worth a drive and look if you can wrangle one as long as you go into it with open eyes.

heres a link to a lexus forum that has a bit info ,
http://www.lextreme.com/
3 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 05:47 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The first generation 1UZFE with the thicker rods hold up to boost and modifications, built very strong from the factory floor.

If I didn't have a 1990s project car on the go already I would be rocking a 1990s import and the LS400 is a wicked cruiser and would make the list.

I'm not sure if it was here or on Fordmods but someone successfully put a 1UZFE into an E series Falcon, I remember reading the thread ages ago.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2015, 06:19 PM   #13
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These are great cars , well built and engineered to compete with mercs and BMWs . Double wishbone suspension front and rear , good brakes and strong driveline . Extremely smooth, quiet and comfortable. Engine is one of the rare FAA rated engines ( means you can stick in the plane) . UZFE are popular for conversions , powering boats and race cars.
Timing belt is specified at 150k and it is involved but not that hard to do.
They have some issues with power steering pump leaking from vacuum port , lcd temp display can fade on gen 1 , ball joints wear out , shocks will be cactus but are easy to change
Plenty of support for those cars in the U.S. And parts are easy to get.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes they are nice little engine, my brother has 3 of them 2 in soarers, one is supercharged in a smaller toyota, all stock internals, basically reason above all else we both bought these cars for the nice little 4.0 engine, any other good points where just gravy. .
Old 20-09-2015, 10:47 PM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when The early Lexus debuted, they were Toyota to the MAX. Well engineered, exceptional build quality, and as boring as BS.
Thing is, if you want a cheap old banger, and you want to minimise maintenance, then a Toyota is a sound choice.
That said, it really is the equivalent of adult-nappies. Practical and Sensible.

On the engine, I remember way back when, somebody was making GT40 replicas, and the engine they chose was the Lexus/ Soarer V8. Apparently there was a decent amount of aftermarket kit for them as well
Old 20-09-2015, 11:01 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I remember when The early Lexus debuted, they were Toyota to the MAX. Well engineered, exceptional build quality, and as boring as BS.
Thing is, if you want a cheap old banger, and you want to minimise maintenance, then a Toyota is a sound choice.
That said, it really is the equivalent of adult-nappies. Practical and Sensible.

On the engine, I remember way back when, somebody was making GT40 replicas, and the engine they chose was the Lexus/ Soarer V8. Apparently there was a decent amount of aftermarket kit for them as well
As you become an old fart , practical and sensible starts to sound better and better for some reason .
3 users like this post:
Old 20-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #17
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mik, can you add some information to your post # 11, I didn't get the complete picture. LOL
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 12:25 AM   #18
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
These are great cars , well built and engineered to compete with mercs and BMWs . Double wishbone suspension front and rear , good brakes and strong driveline . Extremely smooth, quiet and comfortable. Engine is one of the rare FAA rated engines ( means you can stick in the plane) . UZFE are popular for conversions , powering boats and race cars.
Timing belt is specified at 150k and it is involved but not that hard to do.
They have some issues with power steering pump leaking from vacuum port , lcd temp display can fade on gen 1 , ball joints wear out , shocks will be cactus but are easy to change
Plenty of support for those cars in the U.S. And parts are easy to get.
Care to elaborate on FAA engines, and why or how a motor car engine would be qualified as an FAA engine ? Would be nice to fly around in an xr6 turbo powered aircraft
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 09:57 AM   #19
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

With thanks to Lexus -

http://pressroom.lexus.com/article_d...rticle_id=2484

LS Chronology & Awards
August 29, 2007

MILESTONES

• Fall 1984 – The "F1" project is well underway. "F1"
is Toyota's code for flagship luxury car of the highest order. Shoiji Jimbo
and Ichiro Suzuki head a large engineering team to develop this ultra-important
new car.

• May 1985 – Lexus conducts its first study of the American market
with a team headed by Jimbo attending focus groups and interviewing dealers
in major markets. A separate five-person team moves to Laguna Beach, Calif.
to study lifestyles and integrate design concepts suited for American customers.

• July 1985 – The first of 450 running prototypes is built, representing
the work of 60 designers, 24 engineering teams, 1,400 engineers, 2,300 technicians
and 220 support workers.

• May 1986 – Tests are conducted on the Autobahn in Germany.

• September 1986 – Ten months of extensive evaluation on American
roads begins, resulting in numerous improvements in line with the U.S. environment
and customer needs.

• May 1987 – The final design of the F1 is approved after eight previous
presentations to management – far more than customary.

• August 1988 – Roger Penske, the renowned racing team owner and
soon-to-be Lexus dealer, goes to Japan to test-drive the F1.

• November 1988 – The F1 is designated the LS 400, "LS"
meaning Luxury Sedan, and "400" for the 4.0-liter V8 engine.

• January 1989 – The LS 400 makes its American debut at the North
American International Auto Show (NAIAS) in Detroit and the Los Angeles Auto
Show.

• May 1989 – The first production LS 400 rolls off the assembly line
at Lexus' Tahara plant in Japan.

• September 1989 – The LS 400 goes on sale to the public and is very
well received. In the first month, 2,919 LS 400s are sold.

• December 1989 – Lexus initiates a special service campaign. Although
aware of only one consumer contact regarding a cruise control malfunction and
several complaints of stoplight housing distortion, Lexus elects to recall all
8,000 LS 400s sold to check items. Dealers contact owners individually and quickly
make repairs. Rather than being viewed negatively, Lexus is credited with setting
a new standard in personalized service.

• September 1992 – A "freshened" LS 400 debuts with more
than 50 changes, many as a direct response to dealer and customer requests.

• November 1994 – Completely redesigned second generation 1995 LS
400 goes on sale.

• March 1997 – Lexus and Coach, the renowned manufacturer of distinguished
leather products, announce the production of a distinctive limited edition LS
400 sedan.

• September 1997 – Lexus introduces a redesigned LS 400 featuring
Variable Valve Timing with Intelligence (VVT-i) engine for higher performance,
dozens of additional features and freshened styling. Despite the numerous upgrades,
the LS price remains the same as the previous year, enhancing its overall value.

• January 2000 – Lexus unveils the 2001 LS 430 flagship sedan at
the NAIAS in Detroit.

• October 2000 – The LS 430, the third generation Lexus flagship
sedan, goes on sale. In addition to upgrading its V8 to 4.3 liters, the new
vehicle sets a new benchmark for luxury and technology. Features include Intuitive
Park Assist, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control, heated/cooled front seats and a beverage
cooler between the two rear seats. The 2001 LS 430 also offered a Mark Levinson
sound system, which made Lexus the first and only automaker to offer an OEM
mobile audio system designed by Levinson.

• September 2003 – The LS 430 debuts as a thoroughly revised model
for 2004, with exterior restyling, a new 6-speed automatic transmission, and
additional safety and luxury features. The three generations of Lexus LS sedans
have garnered more awards for quality than any other luxury car and have won
the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study every year that they
have been eligible.

• January 2006 – The 2007 LS 460 is unveiled at the North American
International Auto Show in Detroit along with the LS 460 L, the first long-wheelbase
model for Lexus. The fourth-generation LS features a new-generation 4.6-liter
V8 with 380 horsepower and is equipped with world's first automatic eight-speed
transmission and a wide array of new luxury amenities and technology features.

• April 2006 – The 2008 LS 600h L is revealed at the New York International
Auto Show, introducing the world's first full hybrid V8 powertrain.

• October 2006 – Fourth generation Lexus LS 460 and all-new LS 460
L go on sale.

• July 2007 – All-new LS 600h L goes on sale.

• September 2007 – LS 460 models gain revisions to suspension option
packages for 2008.

AWARDS AND RECOGNITION

• January 1990 – The LS 400 finishes first in all categories, including
overall satisfaction, in Car & Driver's 1990 New Car Buyers study.

• February 1990 – Motoring Press Association names LS 400 "Best
Imported Car of the Year."

• March 1990 – The LS 400 is awarded the "Best Luxury Car"
title in MotorWeek's Drivers' Choice Awards.

• July 1990 – In J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study
(IQS), the LS 400 ranks fourth overall and second in its segment during its
first year of eligibility.

• May 1992 – LS 400 is named the most problem-free vehicle in J.D.
Power and Associates IQS.

• June 1992 – LS 400 tops J.D. Power and Associates Customer Satisfaction
Index (CSI), which gauges satisfaction after one year of ownership.

• December 1992 – Personal Finance lists the LS 400 as the best buy
in the $30,000+ category.

• March 1993 – American Automobile Association (AAA) names the LS
400 as the best 1993 model in its price range.

• March 1993 – Consumer Reports calls the LS 400 "Benchmark
of Quality."

• May 1993 – Lexus sweeps the J.D. Power and Associates IQS with
the LS 400 and SC 400/300 finishing first and second, respectively, with the
fewest reported problems. Lexus was once again the top nameplate in the study.

• June 1993 – Robb Report names LS 400 the "Best Import Car
for 1993."

• February 1994 – LS 400 is named "Best Overall Value of the
Year" in the over $40,000 luxury class by IntelliChoice.

• May 1994 – LS 400 tops the J.D. Power and Associates IQS again
with an astoundingly low 32 problems per 100 vehicles.

• December 1994 – The all-new LS 400 is designated "The Best
of What's New" by Popular Science.

• January 1995 – Lexus LS 400 receives Popular Mechanics' "1995
Design & Engineering Award."

• March 1995 – In J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability
Index (VDI), the LS 400 registers the fewest problems of all individual vehicles
in the last 12 months after five years of ownership.

• May 1995 – Strategic Vision, a consulting and research firm measuring
how consumers rate their cars in terms of least troublesome and most pleasurable
ownership experiences, finds the LS 400 to be the "Best of the Best"
in the import luxury car category.

• June 1996 – Toyota Motor Corporation's Tahara plant, which builds
the Lexus LS 400, captures the J.D. Power and Associates "Gold Plant Award"
among Asian manufacturing facilities.

• February 1997 – IntelliChoice names the LS 400 the "Best Overall
Value" in the Luxury Car class.

• April 1997 – The LS 400 sedan is ranked No.1 in the Luxury segment
of the J.D. Power and Associates IQS. The LS also records the highest score
among all cars and trucks in the study.

• June 1998 – The LS 400 again tops the Premium Luxury Car segment
in J.D. Power and Associates' IQS. The LS earns the best score of any vehicle
in the study, an honor it has achieved in five out of six years.

• September 1998 – LS 400 earns the title of Most Appealing Premium
Luxury Car in the J.D. Power and Associates APEAL Study.

• May 1999 – The LS 400 receives top honors in the revised J.D. Power
and Associates IQS.

• May 2000 – Once again the LS 400 comes out on top in J.D. Power
and Associates IQS.

• September 2000 – Lexus LS 430 receives the 2001 Design & Engineering
Award from Popular Mechanics.

• February 2001 – Automobile Magazine names the LS 430 an "All
Star" in the Best Luxury Sedan Over $40,000 category.

• April 2001 – Consumer Guide names LS 430 a "Best Buy."

• May 2001 – Yet another top ranking for the LS 430 in the J.D. Power
and Associates IQS with the fewest problems of any vehicle on the market.

• October 2001 – LS 430 is named "Most Appealing Premium Luxury
Sedan" in J.D. Power and Associates APEAL study.

• January 2002 – Edmunds.com names LS 430 "Editors' Most Wanted
Vehicles – Large Sedan Under $55,000."

• March 2002 – LS 430 named "Finest Luxury Sedan in America"
by Automotive Marketing Consultants Inc. (AMCI).

• April 2002 – LS 430 named "Top Performer in Premium Luxury"
car segment by the AutoPacific Vehicle Satisfaction Score (VSS).

• May 2002 – The LS 430 is the highest-ranked vehicle overall, as
well as first in its segment, for the sixth consecutive year in J.D. Power and
Associates IQS. Power also awarded the LS 430's manufacturing facility, the
Tahara Plant in Japan, the Worldwide Platinum Plant Award. For the fourth year
in a row, the Platinum Plant Award has been given to a Lexus factory.

• October 2002 – Edmunds.com names LS 430 "Consumers' Most Wanted
Vehicles – Large Sedan Under $55,000."

• November 2002 – LS 400 is the highest ranked vehicle in the Premium
Luxury Car segment in the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Index.

• January 2003 – LS 430 is named "2002 Prestige Luxury Car"
in R.L. Polk & Co. Automotive Awards.

• February 2003 – LS 430 awarded the Automotive Market Environmental
Superiority (AMES) award in the Premium and Luxury Car category. The AMES awards
were created to help encourage customers to purchase AMES awarded vehicles to
assist in the reduction of fuel consumption and emission of greenhouse gases.

• May 2003 – For the seventh consecutive year, the LS 430 ranked
first in the 2003 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study (IQS). On
the manufacturing side, J. D. Power also awarded the LS 430's manufacturing
facility, the Tahara Plant in Japan, the worldwide Platinum Plant Award for
the second consecutive year.

• July 2003 – The LS 430 is the highest-ranked vehicle in the Most
Dependable Premium Luxury Vehicle category of the 2003 J.D. Power and Associates
Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS), for the ninth consecutive year.

• October 2003 – The LS 430 is the highest ranked vehicle in the
Premium Luxury Car segment of 2003 J.D. Power and Associates Automotive Performance
Execution And Layout (APEAL) study, and received the highest score of any model
surveyed. Since 2001, the LS 430 has been the highest-ranking model in APEAL.

• February 2004 – The LS 430 is named IntelliChoice's "Best
Overall Value" in the Luxury Car segment.

• May 2004 – AutoPacific announces the 2004 Vehicle Satisfaction
Awards (VSA). The LS 430 registered highest overall satisfaction for a fifth
consecutive year.

• June 2004 –The LS 430 ranks first in the Premium Luxury Car category
of the J.D. Power and Associates 2004 Initial Quality Study.

• June 2004 –LS 430 had the second fewest problems of any vehicle
in the J.D. Power and Associates 2004 Initial Quality Study, behind the first
place SC 430

• December 2004 – The Lexus LS 430 is named a "Best Buy"
Premium Large Car by IntelliChoice.

• February 2005 – The Lexus LS 430 is awarded "Best Overall
Value" for cars over $23,000 by IntelliChoice.

• May 2005 – The Lexus LS 430 ranks second, after the SC 430, in the
Premium Luxury Car segment in the J.D. Power and Associates IQSSM.

• June 2006 – The Lexus LS 430 earns J.D. Power and Associates Initial
Quality (IQS) award in the Large premium Car segment

• August 2006 – The LS 430 is "Most Dependable Large Premium
Car" for the 12th consecutive year in the J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle
Dependability StudySM (VDS).

Awards and Accolades for 2007 LS 460/460 L

• Car of the Year Japan Award

• Popular Mechanics' Breakthrough Award – for APGS

• Popular Mechanics' Automotive Excellence Award in luxury category

• Edmunds.com's Editor's Most Wanted Award

• 2006 Roadfly Auto Show Award, Best New Production Model

• Cars.com Editor's Choice for Empty Nesters

• CNET Editors' Choice Award (Dec. '06)

• Road and Travel magazine, International Car of the Year (Jan. '07)

• Road and Travel magazine award: "Most Respected" (Jan. '07)

• Road and Travel magazine award: "Luxury Car" (Jan. '07)

• MotorWeek Driver's Choice "Best Luxury Sedan" award (Feb.
'07)

• 2007 World Car of the Year (April '07)

• Automotive Engineering International's Best Engineered Vehicle of 2007
(April '07)

• J.D. Power and Associates Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) Large Premium
Car segment leader – top-performing model in the industry for the 13th
consecutive year.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 10:12 AM   #20
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Did a rally experience day in Subarus, but the highlight of the day was a couple of hot laps as a passenger in a off road buggie with the V8 lexus motor in it. The acceleration was incredible and it just seemed to be able to keep winding up effortlessly.
http://www.adrenalin.com.au/off-road.../10-lap-drive/
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 10:49 AM   #21
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Care to elaborate on FAA engines, and why or how a motor car engine would be qualified as an FAA engine ? Would be nice to fly around in an xr6 turbo powered aircraft
I mentioned FAA certification for UZFE more like a trivia bit rather than anything of importance. Toyota did certify twin turbo UZFE , probably as an excercise in R&D rather than desire to dominate aircraft engine market.

FAA lists their requirements to have engine certified :

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx...5#se14.1.33_15
There are number of automotive engines used in light aircraft . They are generally modified to suit the purpose as in a plane they operate more like stationary engine with high duty cycle compared to automotive engine.
There are some UZFE flying around but Subaru EJ and rotaries are popular for experimental aircrafts.
It is an interesting area of engineering - requirements are different to car application - power to weight , cooling , performance etc.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #22
snowcone

I had a Soarer for nearly 10 years.
Great car and I was considering the Celsior as it's replacement but I downsized instead.
These cars were engineered to the max with every conceivable option at the time and years ahead of their rivals.
Getting a bit long in the tooth now but if you can shop around for bits you should be still OK.
Lot's of info on forums and there might even be a dedicated AUS LS400 one but this Soarer one saw me through all the hassles and most of the equipment on board is the same
http://soarercentral.com/cgi-bin/sc-forum/discus.cgi
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 11:39 AM   #23
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

A friend of mine picked up a '90 LS400 a few years back, it was a car he had wanted for a while.
After getting the leather re done, new wheels and lowered the car look and rode a treat.
It wasn't a performance benchmark (handled like a barge) but jeez it was quiet and smooth.
Perfect to cruise up the highway in.
Everything worked in it but he thankfully had a good mechanic who was able to get a good deal on parts. Lexus charge a fortune for parts. Not that it had many issues.

Last i heard, the car was given to his father after his father's Camry was damaged in a recent hail storm.
Old 21-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Hey mik, can you add some information to your post # 11, I didn't get the complete picture. LOL
Heheh , I didn't realize I was rambling on for so long , sorry guys.
Old 21-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
A friend of mine picked up a '90 LS400 a few years back, it was a car he had wanted for a while.
After getting the leather re done, new wheels and lowered the car look and rode a treat.
It wasn't a performance benchmark (handled like a barge) but jeez it was quiet and smooth.
Perfect to cruise up the highway in.
Everything worked in it but he thankfully had a good mechanic who was able to get a good deal on parts. Lexus charge a fortune for parts. Not that it had many issues.

Last i heard, the car was given to his father after his father's Camry was damaged in a recent hail storm.
The air bag suspension is a nice thing, it tightens it up in the handling a lot, but there is no getting around the steering ratio which is designed for smoothness rather than performance, you just can't imagine the shock to the system hopping out of the au into the old lexy. .
It's still a very nice place to be , but just hugely different to drive.
Old 21-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #26
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll take one for a decent drive

Definately will look into it. I like the idea of a V8 daily sled, especially when that V8 is held in such high regard.
Old 21-09-2015, 01:24 PM   #27
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

So is the same lexus V8 that everyone is talking about here found on the ISF models?
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 01:29 PM   #28
Gee-dog

Can't see it mentioned above - the 1UZFE was also on the Wards 10 best engines list from 1998 - 2000. It is a sweet motor, although a bit underpowered in a heavy LS400 / Soarer / SC400 with an old-school auto box.
Gee-dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #29
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Boss260 View Post
So is the same lexus V8 that everyone is talking about here found on the ISF models?
Different engine, ISF has a 2UR-GSE.
Old 21-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #30
DMXR6T

Lexus = boring. Sign of giving up on life. Yes, I have driven them. Life is too short to waste time. Friend had 1990's V8 , engine problem, too expensive to fix.
DMXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post