Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default All-New Ford Ranger Makes Room For More Space

May 20 2011
  • Ranger boasts exceptionally good front head room
  • The Double Cab has maximum interior space without compromising the cargo box volume
  • Engineers optimised every millimetre of Ranger's dimensions and came up with innovative solutions to provide more interior space
As more and more customers use their pickup to haul not only cargo but also people, the all-new Ford Ranger delivers more cabin room where it matters.

Boasting exceptionally good front head room as well as rear leg room and knee clearance in the Double Cab, Ford's global pickup gives customers maximum interior space without compromising the substantial cargo box volume.
Engineers put in a lot of effort into keeping the vehicle short but the occupant space large by fully utilising every millimetre of Ranger's dimensions. They also came up with innovative solutions to make sure there's no wasted space.
At the start of the Ranger program, the engineers were given targets for the pickup's interior, overall length and the box length.
"We weren't quite sure how to get all of them to add up. It was like making 2+2 = 3," quipped David Stanley, package supervisor, Product Development, Ford Australia.
In the end they found a way to optimise the clearance between the rear seat, the box and the body structure. They slimmed down the back of the seats and headrests, while ensuring the same level of comfort. They also used clever shapes in the sheet metal, by utilising smaller sections instead of one large section. This meant they could make the body structure thinner without compromising on the vehicle integrity.
Likewise, to achieve front head room of 1022mm, the engineers squeezed the clearance between the headliner and the sheet metal to the absolute minimum.
"It should be big enough to do its job and no more," Stanley said. "We try to account for every millimetre and during Ranger's development, we'd often find a few millimetres here and a few millimetres there which we would pare down to push out the interior as much as possible."
As a result, Ranger's front leg, shoulder and hip room are ultra-competitive while the overall roominess in the front is set to rival some leading competitors.
Zooming in on the back seat
With Ranger increasingly being a work-and-family vehicle, the engineers have paid special attention to the rear seats. While the second row in the Super Cab is very spacious, it's the rear seats in the Double Cab that truly shine.

Shifting away from the one-door-fits-all approach, Ranger now has a two-door strategy. The Regular Cab and Super Cab share one long front door, while the Double Cab has a separate shorter front door. Moving the B-pillar forward in the Double Cab has done Ranger a whole world of good.
The Double Cab delivers rear leg room of 902mm and knee clearance of 39mm. This translates into three adults fitting easily in the second row while two six-footers can comfortably sit one behind the other. The rear ingress and egress are also among the best in the segment.
Moreover, the rear glass is bigger which not only helps the driver’s vision but also gives the second-row occupants a more spacious feeling, due to the greater amount of light that comes in. The perception of roominess is further enhanced by the B-pillar being further away from the eye. To open up the interior even more, engineers went down to the details and optimised the pillar size, pillar trim and the blackout on the glass, squeezing them as small as possible.
Still, it wasn't enough to whittle down every last millimetre. The engineers made sure the seat back angle was optimised. Some competitors make the rear seats very vertical to improve leg room and knee room but second-row occupants might just end up slouching into the available knee room.
"We wanted Ranger to be better than an ordinary pickup. We wanted it to have the comfort levels of an SUV," Stanley said. "So we looked at the hip angle, back angle and torso angle to make sure we've got it right."

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: All-New Ford Ranger Makes Room For More Space

Are the really "official" pics?

It might have more room but it still looks cramped, granted they are all the same.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

The rear bench seat looks a bit tacky, I'm guessing that's one of the base models?
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

That last pic, the dog looks stoned...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Any one notice Its left hand drive. It does look like a base model. There looks to be more room in the back than others I've seen.
Old 21-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone happen to read the article and realize that its the Space Cab model, it looks to me to have more room then the PJ/K model.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, I just had to:

But in all seriousness, I hope that's the base model as the back bench seats look very uncomfortable, but promising with higher up models.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

It's a mule. You can tell by the big red 'emergency stop' button mounted to the console.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys do realise its just the extra cab version? Rear seats are really only designed for short trips.
Look at the Hilux for example.

2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Why do they bother putting 'seats' in the space cab versions?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #11
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Are the really "official" pics?
Of course they aren't - I really have little else to do with my time than create fake photos complete with odd looking dogs and Left Hand drive vehicles for the more critical members here to pick holes in.

They are what came with the media release so if you really have an issue with the quality of the pictures, the state of mind the dog is in (or out) of or why they even bother then take it up with them.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #12
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
They come in handy. I drive a space cab and 90% of the time it has bags, shopping etc behind the seats, but for the odd trip home with an extra passenger they do the job. You wouldnt go from Melb to Syd with someone in there but much better than getting your mate to squeeze in behind the seats of a BA.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
It's a mule. You can tell by the big red 'emergency stop' button mounted to the console.
And some of the plastic parts do not have the grain finish.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Just a simple question Russ, they look amateurish at best, not quite a release I would expect from a global product but there you go. I understand they are pushing the family friendly envelope but still, someone might aswell be giving the guy in the background some rabbit ears.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #15
Rastus
XY,XC,XEx2,XA,EF,AU,BA,XY

Would be perfect for carting the kids around to something local. Additionally you'd have a longer tray back Vs what you'd have on the true twin/crew cab. Weigh up the options, and what you use it for the most I guess.
Old 21-05-2011, 09:42 PM   #16
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Quote:
Just a simple question Russ, they look amateurish at best, not quite a release I would expect from a global product but there you go. I understand they are pushing the family friendly envelope but still, someone might aswell be giving the guy in the background some rabbit ears.
I understood what you meant but sometimes things come across, "not quite right" and the way it was worded was probably not quite what you meant either. Bit of a case of "don't shoot the messenger". Photos were very amateurish and I am surprised they didn't make some effort. I reckon they had the press release and then suddenly realised they had no photos so did something equivalent to a Google search.

Cheers
Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah sorry, it did come across perhaps in a "sharp" manner. I guess its getting annoying Ford not going all out for these types of things.

To me every little thing that is done, said, communicated etc from a business reflects that business. Now I agree these are just some harmless pics thrown out to show how much space there is, and thats fine, but to me it looks like something someone on this forum snapped up. Actually you just have to look at the photography section of this site to see members here would do far better.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #18
stevz
Banned

Yeah I don't know what they were thinking with those pics. To call them amateurish would be an insult to an amateur.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #19
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Woulda made more sence to put 2 kids in the back and mum in the front then 2 largish dogs.

Hopefully they retail these lower end cars at a reasonable price, e.g 34 kay ish! Toyotas are rediculously expensive for what they are.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2011, 11:08 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

And those pesky Hiluxs are everywhere!

Ive been traveling past some road works for the past couple of weeks, and honestly, 95% of the cars are Hilux's, I saw one Ranger and Rodeo. worst still this is a council that has the Ford PG in its area!

Getting some of that pie will be huge, councils/govs must buy a mammoth amount of these.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 21-05-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 22-05-2011, 01:00 AM   #21
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I do look forward to the Ranger as I believe and hope it will take on the Hilux but these pictures released by Ford are a little unprofessional and look rushed.

Couple of issues, the dogs are unnecessary, using a clearly well used pre prod car for a media release is a little silly and the location/camera angles really don't do much.
Old 22-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #22
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
And those pesky Hiluxs are everywhere!

Ive been traveling past some road works for the past couple of weeks, and honestly, 95% of the cars are Hilux's, I saw one Ranger and Rodeo. worst still this is a council that has the Ford PG in its area!

Getting some of that pie will be huge, councils/govs must buy a mammoth amount of these.
Hey! Even my family agree's the PG sharts all over the family BF!

Unless your on about a different PG.

As for Hilux's, unbeleiveably astronomically overpriced....

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #23
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
Somthing soft for the rifle to sit on
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #24
1TUFFUTE
Banned

ill tell you why the dogs is a bad idea...i have big ridgebacks and bull arabs and those in the pic made me staraight away think it was small...cus they arent big dogs....and im sure im not the only aussie with 50kg pluss dogs..lol
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor

PG = Proving Ground..hehe

I think its the Ballarine shire or something, outskirts of Geelong.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #26
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will they allow suicide doors on both sides in Australia?
I recall once something about not being allowed on the drivers side due to safety reasons and would only be allowed on the passenger side?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #27
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Disregard took at look at the Mazda RX8 and it has them on both sides....

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #28
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
PG = Proving Ground..hehe

I think its the Ballarine shire or something, outskirts of Geelong.

Aha massive stuff up on that one

Subaru Outback '02
Old 22-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #29
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor

Is there any reason why the family BF deserves to be "sharted" on? Just curious
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #30
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlaneman
Is there any reason why the family BF deserves to be "sharted" on? Just curious
Ah i didnt say it deserves to be sharted on (only said that as the word ***** is not allowed). It doesnt deserve it, it's a nice car dont get me wrong.
But my whole family loves my new ute. From the comfy seats to the colour to the way it drives, as a whole they all like it way better than the BF.

Subaru Outback '02