Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #1
jimbo78aus

Default Want to buy F truck and need advice!!!

G'day all I am looking at purchasing a F truck 100,150,250 series 4x4 year 78-80.
From the looks of it here in WA you dont get alot for your money and you need to spend big dollars to get something in extremely good condition.

I am looking for something with either 302 or 351 on gas. This will also be my first ford purchase!

I am after all the advice I can get on what to look out for fault wise etc so I dont get ripped.

Cheers
James

jimbo78aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
capriv8

Theres a 78 XLT (Sydney) in the for sale section of this forum dont know if its four wheel drive though. Good luck on finding one, nice trucks
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:03 PM   #3
Electric
F6 and AU Fairmont

Years ago I had a 1980 LWB F100 4x4, 351 on gas.

It was a brilliant off roader that could go anywhere, had far too much grunt in low range though.

They seem to attract rust in the tray and the cab around the doors, but I have seen a place that puts late model cabs on the early trucks...gets rid of the rust and makes it look newer too.

Look out for a cracked 'gearbox, transfer case coupling' cast steel tubular section between the two. it is a bit of a weak point in the driveline.

Try and get one with power steering...
Old 04-10-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

f 150 forrums is an american site with so much info it will blow your mind our trucks are the same with steering wheel on other side. i had 80 long wheel base 351 it was a very good car and parts for old f trucks are cheaper then any falcon or crumpledor
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote