Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Default Post your science questions here!

Hi everyone,
I'm not sure if this has been done before, but I'd like to start a thread that provides the opportunity to ask ANY question that is science-related.
So, if you need something explained, or if you have a great explanation for somebody else's question, don't hold back!
Science is a constant journey of discovery, and with the rate of interest in science-related careers dropping, I think it's good to re-invigorate some curiosity as to how this amazing world ticks.

K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

FOR SALE - PM for details

Build Thread
seedywagon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #2
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Post your science questions here!

Cool idea. Another thing would be to post some interesting facts as well as post questions.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
BHDOGS
Banned

Why does the center of the galaxy and the edge spin at the same speed?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:22 AM   #4
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

What's the meaning of life

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #5
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
Why does the center of the galaxy and the edge spin at the same speed?
This is a tricky one, but from what I've read, the velocity of particles 'spinning' in the milky way actually vary depending on distance from it's centre, with particles closer in spinning slightly quicker, but not by much. I think it would have to do with the physics involved when it was actually created, in space, where Newton's law of inertia is king.
My guess is that at its birth, whatever force that caused it to spin in the first place must have been so vast, it was able to accelerate everything in its way at roughly the same rate, and being space, there wasn't much to slow any of it down.
K&N panel filter - XR6T Snorkel - F6 Typhoon CAI - BFXR6T 17inch Rims - RDA Slotted Rotors- Kings SL Front, SSL rear - XR shocks - Straight-through rear muffler - Blue Dash Conversion - Premium Sound Speakers - Colour-coded mirror scalps - 3.45:1 Diff Gears - Leather interior - Premium 6-stack colour ICC

Build Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y
I knew this wouldn't take long :p

Build Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 01:32 AM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A little party trick I used to do was to drop a 5c coin and a 50c coin at the same height and get people to bet which one landed first. Then mix up the heights with the same results.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #8
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
A little party trick I used to do was to drop a 5c coin and a 50c coin at the same height and get people to bet which one landed first. Then mix up the heights with the same results.
Yay! Acceleration due to gravity does not change depending on mass, it is and always will be 9.8 metres per second squared.

Build Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
I've heard that if you drop two things (with wind factor taken out) froma decent height, no matter the weight or shape they will fall at the same speed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedywagon
I knew this wouldn't take long :p
Was being serious to

Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 09-09-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are flogging through space in your space ship at night at light speed and turn on your headlights, will you be able to see where you're going?
Old 09-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #11
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check out this You Tube vid. An experiment by Dave Scott, commander of Apollo 15. Very cool.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDp1tiUsZw8
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:43 AM   #12
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
I've heard that if you drop two things (with wind factor taken out) froma decent height, no matter the weight or shape they will fall at the same speed?

They'd be correct, with air resistance out of the picture, objects fall at equal rates in free fall.

Was being serious to
Science can theoretically only provide a partial answer to this question I reckon, the other half would be the domain of philosophers and philologers. Einstein tried to find an equation to explain everything in the universe with questionable success.

Build Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Was being serious to
Quote:
Yay! Acceleration due to gravity does not change depending on mass, it is and always will be 9.8 metres per second squared.
Yep of course the only exception is resistance. Obviously a feather and a brick won't land the same time but most things will. My mate used to trip balls over it.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

What weighs more? A tonne of feathers, or a tonne of bricks?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Funny how many people get this wrong :
Old 09-09-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I fell for this so many times when I was a kid lol

Science has always intrigued (spelling?) me. Was just never smart enough to persue it

NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 09-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #17
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
If you are flogging through space in your space ship at night at light speed and turn on your headlights, will you be able to see where you're going?
Due to Einsteins theory of relativity, which he spent ages developing based on a very similar question to what you just asked, my logic would say no, because you're travelling at the same speed as the light you're trying to emit, therefore the light beam from your headlights must accelerate faster than your spaceship in order to 'break free' of it.

Build Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 01:50 AM   #18
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Due to Einsteins theory of relativity, which he spent ages developing based on a very similar question to what you just asked, my logic would say no, because you're travelling at the same speed as the light you're trying to emit, therefore the light beam from your headlights must accelerate faster than your spaceship in order to 'break free' of it.
But if you're travelling at the speed of light, wouldn't the light beams then travel twice as fast as the speed of light? As to it, it would still be in a stationary position travelling at light speed

NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 09-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #19
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
But if you're travelling at the speed of light, wouldn't the light beams then travel twice as fast as the speed of light? As to it, it would still be in a stationary position travelling at light speed
It probably depends on how light behaves, which science doesn't know yet conclusively, we do know that it behaves as a particle ( a photon ) and an electromagnetic wave. My thinking is that in order for photons to escape the headlight, which is travelling at the same velocity as the space ship (light speed), they would need to be 'pushed clear' of the craft, or accelerated. For your idea to work, there would have to be a force to create this acceleration.

Build Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #20
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

This is why science intrigues me...

See I thought that a vehicle travelling at lightspeed (base) would be the equivalent to a car doing 0. At 0, the light stays the same distance from the headlight as the car speeds up. Because the car is travelling at a speed, where the light would then travel x times faster than the car to stay ahead. Obviously this would be different for something travelling so fast

NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 09-09-2012, 02:17 AM   #21
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
This is why science intrigues me...

See I thought that a vehicle travelling at lightspeed (base) would be the equivalent to a car doing 0. At 0, the light stays the same distance from the headlight as the car speeds up. Because the car is travelling at a speed, where the light would then travel x times faster than the car to stay ahead. Obviously this would be different for something travelling so fast
My favorite type of science too, physics.
I often think about these questions too, which are based around a topic called "Non-inertial reference frames" which deals with how things accelerate with respect to eachother.
An elevator is a perfect example of this, imagine one without windows, vibration or any noise travelling at a constant velocity (nOt accelerating). You technically wouldn't even know you're moving!

Build Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 02:22 AM   #22
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
My favorite type of science too, physics.
I often think about these questions too, which are based around a topic called "Non-inertial reference frames" which deals with how things accelerate with respect to eachother.
An elevator is a perfect example of this, imagine one without windows, vibration or any noise travelling at a constant velocity (nOt accelerating). You technically wouldn't even know you're moving!
'Shroedingers cat' anyone
Couldn't help myself

I always wanted to study physics, but as my old co-ordinator said to me. "Frankly, I find you to stupid to do it"

Honestly, some of the questions that I think of....God, I wish I knew the answers.

NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 AM   #23
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
'Shroedingers cat' anyone
Couldn't help myself

I always wanted to study physics, but as my old co-ordinator said to me. "Frankly, I find you to stupid to do it"

Honestly, some of the questions that I think of....God, I wish I knew the answers.
Einstein's teachers thought the same thing of him, look at what he discovered.
Many people are great at the maths, but miss the impact of the concepts altogether, but those who take an interest seem to know more.

Build Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 02:35 AM   #24
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jeepers, these are hard questions to ponder at this time of night, and I remember a great barby where we discussed exactly this problem, Einstein would have loved it.
Fact 1, forget about travelling at the speed of light. Can't be done, not enough energy in the Universe to achieve it - and if you talk about warp or hyper drive, fine, but they are realms that are 'outside' our Universe.
You can travel at 99.99999etc% the speed of light, something the folk at CERN would like to do, and indeed get close to, in order to find the Higgs Boson thingy. The energy involved getting there can power a substantial part of Australia for a good while.
Fact 2. Relativity. Yeah, it's still the best we have to describe things flying at near light speed. For you, in your spaceship travelling at 99.9% c (=light speed), it would appear that your headlights are peering ahead as per normal, two little beams, probing ahead into absolute blackness.
To an observer watching, (i.e. us, everyone else on good old planet Earth)your beams would barely emerge from the the head light, and depending on whether you are approaching, passing or receeding you would display peculiar visual effects.
Yeah, we loved that barbeque, we done good stuff that day.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #25
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What wierds me is this.
Jump in your Ford (after all, this is what the Forum is really about - thanks to the 'owners for letting us play)..start it up, press the accelerator and whether it is a Festiva or a FPV, you get pressed back in the seat a bit.
Light (a photon), gets emitted from an atom (and understand, the computer screen, room, every article in the vicinity, either in visible light, UV, IR, radio wave or whatever, even your own self) is emitting trillions of photons every second, some of which enter your eye and get translated into something that enables you to read the very words that you are reading right now - the brain works all this out somehow, and get this...
A car accelerates from zero to 100kph in several seconds, you get a nice push in the back. A photon accelerates from 'nothing - i.e. not zero to 1,074,325,550 kph in no time at all.
Mind blowing - trillions of them - every second.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:33 AM   #26
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Answer = 42 Check with the Monty Python boys.

This is my one and only scientific statement repeated from an unknown source

HELL EXPLAINED BY A CHEMISTRY STUDENT

The following is an actual question given on a University of *Washington *chemistry mid-term exam.

The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well :

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over.

The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct ...... leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh myyyyyy God.'

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+.

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #27
ohzone
Dent Removal

You are driving a car and have a helium balloon floating inside and in the middle of the car you accellerate fairly quickly, what happens to the balloon
ohzone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 11:14 AM   #28
FCleader
John

If anyone wants to watch some good science videos that are explained well watch this guy http://www.youtube.com/user/1veritasium/videos

He did his PhD in teaching people physics using multimedia, the videos are well explained using common misconceptions as a starting point then moving on the the reality of a situation.

He has also been on ABC's Catalyst a few times as well.
FCleader is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2012, 11:38 AM   #29
seedywagon
IWCMOGTVM club supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya
What wierds me is this.
Jump in your Ford (after all, this is what the Forum is really about - thanks to the 'owners for letting us play)..start it up, press the accelerator and whether it is a Festiva or a FPV, you get pressed back in the seat a bit.
Light (a photon), gets emitted from an atom (and understand, the computer screen, room, every article in the vicinity, either in visible light, UV, IR, radio wave or whatever, even your own self) is emitting trillions of photons every second, some of which enter your eye and get translated into something that enables you to read the very words that you are reading right now - the brain works all this out somehow, and get this...
A car accelerates from zero to 100kph in several seconds, you get a nice push in the back. A photon accelerates from 'nothing - i.e. not zero to 1,074,325,550 kph in no time at all.
Mind blowing - trillions of them - every second.
We are still discovering how things operate at the atomic level, I find it absolutely fascinating that scientists such as Mohr and Rutherford were able to theorize the model of an atom in a time where there wasn't any sophisticated equipment like we have now.

Build Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #30
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep of course the only exception is resistance. Obviously a feather and a brick won't land the same time but most things will. My mate used to trip balls over it.

No exceptions. Items will fall at the same rate in a vaccuum. Feather or brick or elephant. It's not a theory it's a fact. Mass is irrelevant.

The equations and tests are pertinent to a perfect vaccuum only.