Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Default how many got caught out today?

watching the news tonight on ten in sydney, the cops are cracking down on school zone speeding. the amount of idiots that were caught in zones and then claiming ignorance. if you get caught in a school zone speeding thats your stupid fault, instead of a fine you should loose your licence for life, a lot better than dealing with the fact your stupidity has killed someones child.
keep up the good work nsw police.
just letting off a bit of steam. feel better now :

Old 16-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

i always do the limit through there because very often theres a radar gun going. plus kids are very very stupid and just run out onto the road out of no where
Old 16-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get very nervous, driving through school zones.

I've had a couple of incidents, where school kids have kicked a ball out on the road and I've had to slam on my brakes, to avoid hiting them.

Plus I worry about going past buses, as the kids don't look where they're going and just walk onto the road.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I try to stick to 40 through school zones even outside the 40 timezone because you never do know when a kid will come darting out onto the road chasing a ball etc. etc.
Old 16-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good work NSW police.......as a parent of two young kids the one thing I will never do when driving is speed in a school zone, kids just do not have any road sense.
I agree with Dan B, they should lose their license for life...."only cause were not allowed to string em up by their thumbs for a couple of days!!"
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #6
Sapper
Back to the AU

School zones are important but its bloody difficult working out when school is back on. Some schools go back today, some tomorrow, some next week. Some orange flashing lights in school zones would be a lifesaver. Literally.
Old 16-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #7
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

im not a parent yet, but a bad experience when i was on my p's( a kid ran across a main road a couple a cars in front of me to his parents and didn't make it. a sight any parent let alone anyone else ever should see but it'll stay with me for life.

since then ive always done the speed limit in school zones.
a tip for you if you forget, pretend your racing v8's doing a pit stop whilst leading, speed in the pits you get a drive through penalty, thats how my missus remembers them :
Old 16-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would have to say not just 2day but in general the police in wagga are absent when it comes to school zones, its been ages since ive seen the cop presence at a school zone. Im not the biggest fans of cops haha or the speed limit but yeh when it comes to children and school zones im all for the radar.
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

wow, how did the poor children ever survive before we had school zones.....
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan b
watching the news tonight on ten in sydney, the cops are cracking down on school zone speeding. the amount of idiots that were caught in zones and then claiming ignorance. if you get caught in a school zone speeding thats your stupid fault, instead of a fine you should loose your licence for life, a lot better than dealing with the fact your stupidity has killed someones child.
keep up the good work nsw police.
just letting off a bit of steam. feel better now :
Frankly, if anybody claims ignorance, they should be listed as officially, "retarded".

In Victoria there has been easily enough exposure. I would assume that NSW has also had enough notifications about the 40 limit around schools.

If people aren't going to take responsibility for their own stupidity, will they take responsibility when they kill somebody's child?

I say good on the coppers.
uranium_death is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #11
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Congrats to the NSW police. This a much better use of their time!! I always slow to 40, as a parent I know why I must do this, but it is amazing how many people sit a few centimeters of my klacker and going all red in the face because I have slowed to 40.
Old 17-10-2006, 07:05 AM   #12
red_hotxr6
Banned

I have kids so the reminder is all ways there.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 07:12 AM   #13
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Good work NSW police.......as a parent of two young kids the one thing I will never do when driving is speed in a school zone, kids just do not have any road sense.
I agree with Dan B, they should lose their license for life...."only cause were not allowed to string em up by their thumbs for a couple of days!!"
Nice of them to enforce the limit in School zones. When are they going to bother with 50km/h residental streets? Whenever I drive down 50km/h residental zones I always get some local roar right up my clacker then speed off at 80km/h only to pull into their driveway 200m up the street. This happens so many times it's just not funny. If I was doing 80km/h and ran other THEIR kid, I'd be a monster, but it's appears alright for locals to speed???
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 07:12 AM   #14
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the police should do that in all states

as i have kids i always and have always slowed to 40in a scool zone but i will say that the street i lived in was a 40 zone anyway

good thing nsw police now come on vic jump on the wagon with this

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 07:53 AM   #15
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

even if you sit on 40kmph.. you always have someone right up your backside... probably why most exceed the limit, i know i'd sit on 40kmph when there is no cars behind me... but always when a car is behind me i have to accelerate a bit.. cause they always like a foot from my bumper!
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:07 AM   #16
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
wow, how did the poor children ever survive before we had school zones.....
Would that have been the time before we had so many cars on the road also and before the time that cars could do the speeds they do now?? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
even if you sit on 40kmph.. you always have someone right up your backside... probably why most exceed the limit, i know i'd sit on 40kmph when there is no cars behind me... but always when a car is behind me i have to accelerate a bit.. cause they always like a foot from my bumper!
Are you saying you speed through school zones, just because someone is sitting to close?? I hope I have read that wrong.
I have seen the police a few times not far from my youngest sons school... so I think they are doing a reasonable job up this way (there are quite a few schools within the area that the Police have to patrol)...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:08 AM   #17
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

I think that the zone should be permanantly 40kmh to avoid confusion. theres too many variable limits around and kids still play sport on school grounds out of hours.

keep it simple for us simple people.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:10 AM   #18
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I go through about 9 school zones everyday (during the hours they operate) and I can't say I have ever even seen 1 SINGLE child. Still I dont speed through them but it seems a bit of overkill (in terms of the hours they operate). Maybe the hours should be targeted closer to the actual times kids are out and about so that some drivers take them more seriously.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #19
Walkinshaw
Two > One

The #1 place camera's & laser guns WILL save lives. (i some how doubt a camera hidden on the M5 will)

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:37 AM   #20
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

i also agree with merlin 100% I am on the road everyday and travel through lots of these kiddie zones, but there never seem to be any kids out on or near the road at 2:30 or what ever time they operate at till 4:00.
The worst thing about it is, is that it causes alot more traffic congestion on a few major roads around the areas i frequent.

Fair enough... i know what they are there for.. but the hours need to be revised.
I have only seen 1 police car in a 40km/h zone thus far.
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 08:47 AM   #21
woodsy109

I have seen a couple of school zones in Townsville have flashing LED's that operate when the 40 zone applies. Its great for people that don't have kids and might not know when to do 40. Haven't seen them anywhere else i've been though.

edit: sfr rob, the school where my g/f works has flexible finish times so sometimes you see kids leaving earlier. Mostly yr12 but so they should have enough common sense by then.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #22
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

i agree in principle to police concentrating in school zones but a little story...

i was travelling throught smithfield on the horsley drive eastbound in the centre lane. i was behind an old van who decided (with about 5 metres notice) that he/she wanted to turn right.
i looked behind to my left to see if anyone was coming up the kerb lane and there was a car coming but i had enought time to change lanes and speed back up so not to impede anyone else.
changed lanes, got up to speed (60), was checking my speedo then looked up. I had already entered the school zone (although the school zone sign was obstructed to me, seeing i was behind the van), i instantly slowed (i was back to 40 before i actually reached the school itself) but there was Mr.Plod holding a gun straight at me and proceded to ignore my story, althought he was in full view of what had happened, and write me a ticket for 55 in a school zone.
again, the 55 was within the school zone but before the actual school. I tried to explain the situation to Mr. Plod but had seen what had happened and needed his quota so ticket i received.

I know (i hope) this was an isolated incident, but based on my experience, i couldnt support people loosing their license over speeding in school zones. sometimes its just an accident.

my 3.25 cents.
Old 17-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #23
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon we just need tougher laws, that way people will think twice about going 20kph above the speed limit (as they always do).

They also need to educated children about the consequences of goofing around on the side of the road. Car vs meat, car always win.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:12 AM   #24
620hp_gt

All school zones 25kph in S.A..Safer Than 40kph..
620hp_gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #25
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 620hp_gt
Maybe just get out and push your car past the school zone.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #26
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 620hp_gt
stuff that!....now before you all flame me, whats safer knowing your doing the right speed or always looking at your speedo and not the road? dont say its not hard come to townsville or tell that to those people at school zones who get booked or injure someone

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 04:30 PM   #27
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

^^^ just leave it in 1st then :P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #28
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I struggle to see any reasoning of why highschools should be included in the 40km/h zones.

If your smart enough to be in year 7, you should be smart enough to be aware of cars.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 04:55 PM   #29
cupic
Nikon

Dont misunderstand me I have the greatest respect for Kids(I have 3)but was the use of having a 40km/hr zone in a school that has all the kids attending bused inside the grounds of the school,with no kids seen anytime walking to school and all this on a road thats 6 lanes busy throughfare.

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2006, 10:06 PM   #30
angelwithinvisiblewings
Very happy BA XR8 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I go through about 9 school zones everyday (during the hours they operate) and I can't say I have ever even seen 1 SINGLE child. Still I dont speed through them but it seems a bit of overkill (in terms of the hours they operate). Maybe the hours should be targeted closer to the actual times kids are out and about so that some drivers take them more seriously.

I go through 5 on the way to the school where I work. I have never seen one child.

Targeting the hours closer to the times has its pros and cons. I think they made a blanket set of time to account for those kids (more so in high school) who do before and after school activities. However I can tell you we have kids in our playground well before 8:00am because parents have to go to work early and we don't have a before school care program.

The worst offenders at our school are the bloody parents of the children. Also the ones who call out to their kids from their car to run across the road.
angelwithinvisiblewings is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post