Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #1
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default Running orange/yellow traffic lights.

Is it against the law to run orange traffic lights in wa?
I admit i do it from time to time lol
Id be interested to know about other state laws on it also.
Has anybody been fined for it?
Cheers

STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
a-total-tool

Default Re: Running orange/yellow traffic lights.

In NSW it is illegal.

I got fined for it in September last year. "Not stop at line of yellow light"... $405 and 3 points
a-total-tool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cop wanted to get me for it in Victoria, I told him there was no way I was slamming my brakes on with my dog in the back, he would have slammed into the wall of the tray. Otherwise I would have stopped no worries. He let me off, but it's a big fine and loss of points down here...
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
commonrails

Straight out of the rms (nsw) driving hand book page 98, Yellow (amber) means stop. You can enter the intersection if you are so close that sudden braking might cause a crash.
commonrails is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #5
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only if there isn't adequate time to stop. It's up to the cop as to what they deem "adequate".
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They did a blitz on it here in SA recently - Marion and Sturt Rd intersection think it was - educating drivers that it is illegal to cross through a yellow when it was safe to stop.

I reckon the Territory in this link could have safely stopped: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...40&postcount=3
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
STINKY NINJA
Banned

I just read the post about dash cams which had footage of someone running an orange light and crashing into another car and thought id start a post about this instead of going off topic in his thread.
Sounds like its up to the discretion of the copper who sees it happen.
Anyone been involved in a prang in a situation like this?
Ive come close... also had people nearly smash up my rear end because i have stopped at orange lights.
Old 15-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Here in Victoria You must stop at Amber light if it is safe to so, otherwise you could be booked for it.
I presume all other States & territories would have the same law.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
GYRKIN GT

The law is the same in every State.

Putting it at it's most base level, yellow means Stop. That means, if your car's speed is maintained, without the driver pushing on the loud pedal, and the car is, objectively, too close to the stop line to stop the car safely at the stop line, then the driver may proceed through the traffic control lights.

Point is, you cannot increase your speed to make it through and, on an objective view, your car should have been able to stop but you still proceed through the yellow, you may be issued with an infringement notice for disobey traffic control signal - Stop light.
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #10
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

What does this mean in relation to those cameras they have at lights? Can you be done IF you run a yellow? Or are they just Red light cameras?

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #11
GYRKIN GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y View Post
What does this mean in relation to those cameras they have at lights? Can you be done IF you run a yellow? Or are they just Red light cameras?
Theoretically, you could go for the yellow, but as far as the cameras are concerned, I'm pretty certain you will only go for a definite red. But, don't forget, there are more and more traffic light/speed camera setups cropping up all the time. So, if you're going to be borderline and you accelerate, you may end up going for speed and the light. Ouchhhhh!
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
dragons90

Same fine+points as running a red light in QLD.
If I remember correctly there was I thread posted awhile ago about someone being done by a red light camera with the first photo showing them crossing the line on amber and going red half way through.
dragons90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #13
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Camera only goes off if you cross on red.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #14
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
I reckon the Territory in this link could have safely stopped: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...40&postcount=3
There may have been a vehicle right behind him that he was worried about if he braked suddenly.

The whole point of amber lights is that it gives an opportunity to continue through the intersection if it is unsafe to stop. And that includes braking harder than normal. If there is a red light, the rule says you must STOP, and not enter the intersection. The period of time that the amber shows, is dependent on the speed limit at the location. The higher the speed limit, the longer the amber shows.

A year or so ago, a motorist in Victoria got out of a camera fine for going through a red light, because he proved in court that the amber light showed for a shorter period of time than that required for the set speed limit through that intersection. The speed limit had been increased previously, but the traffic lights had not been readjusted accordingly.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 12:37 AM   #15
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recently seen a dashcam video of a truck stopping at a amber light only to have someone run into the back of him.
Cops apparently said it was the trucks fault for stopping. Even though he had plenty of time to stop. It was just the vehicle behind him not paying proper attention.
So it depends on the cop. There is no consistency with a rule like this.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 04:14 AM   #16
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYRKIN GT View Post
The law is the same in every State.

Point is, you cannot increase your speed to make it through and, on an objective view, your car should have been able to stop but you still proceed through the yellow, you may be issued with an infringement notice for disobey traffic control signal - Stop light.
Adding to this, an officer in qld once told us if your rear wheels aren't over the start line of the intersection when the light goes RED, you will be fined no matter what. Sounds fair. Along with no accelerating to make an orange light!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 04:26 AM   #17
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
They did a blitz on it here in SA recently - Marion and Sturt Rd intersection think it was - educating drivers that it is illegal to cross through a yellow when it was safe to stop.

That video shows how good the falcon and the territory hold up in a tbone situation at town speeds. Both minor damage being able to easily drive away in 5 secs.
Maybe someone should post it in the other crash threads on here atm. It's similar and topical!
Old 16-05-2014, 07:32 AM   #18
66GT

I think both motorists were pushing the "it's ok to go on amber" theory. However at the end of the same video there is several cars that deliberately run the red right turn arrow - again those individuals seem to think there allowed because their better or have more self importance than the rest of us. As a result of these clowns, I've seen to many hits & numerous near misses, so I tell my kids to look left, right & any other way for oncoming traffic before you go at your green light.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #19
GTBenny
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQE5ruhoZFI

Benny.
GT 335 MKII, ZF6, Tein coilovers, YT snout, 61mm pulley, KPM 1500HP fuel system, 1000cc injectors, E85, KPM exhaust, BMC air filter, KPM Streetfighter intercooler, built tail shaft, Truetrac, 479rwkw - 950nm.
GTBenny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #20
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

running yellows is ho hum

racing for round abouts is so much more competitive
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #21
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have seen the yellow lights flash only for a split second and others stay on longer.

I have just got through the yellow at times only to see some wally float through behind me at some distance behind and it's this type that must think it's ok because it's yellow and red is only to start to slow down to stop.

Red means stop and yellow means start to stop to me.

Going through a red just as it turns red could be understandable in some spots more than others but total disregard is not at all, so if one is caught just getting through it's not all so bad but total disregard you should lose your lic even tossed in the slammer.
So if you do the red i think X amount $ and it goes up the longer time it stays red is only fair and if you crash even much more so.

A so called drunk driver is better than a red light runner the only thing worse is a drunk red light runner.

Not to mention stop signs but some of them you can't see from trees etc.

And roundabouts that have all this crap built up around them big rocks or trees etc so you can't see anyone coming until they are just about on you giving you less time to react, how bloody stupid, so much for road safety concern.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=castellan;5099106]I have seen the yellow lights flash only for a split second and others stay on longer.

I think you'll find they all stay yellow for the same length of time
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 11:13 AM   #23
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GT View Post
I think both motorists were pushing the "it's ok to go on amber" theory.
If you enter the intersection, you're fine to go. Once you have crossed the line, you are in the intersection. That's what I was told when I took my Ps test a few years ago, as long as you cross the line when it's green, you aren't running a red / orange. This doesn't give you right of way though (as per the video), while the territory was at fault (imo) the falcon wasn't in the clear to go.
_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #24
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
Camera only goes off if you cross on red.
Correct, But the same camera can go off for speed at any time.

Often its a double whammy fine at intersections as many motorists hit the juice when the see amber!

Being a rep on the road I've had to train myself to be prepared to stop at intersections.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #25
wookie836
Highway wanderer

if im close to a car length from the solid lane line before the intersection and the light goes orange i wont hesitate to continue providing theres no cars stopping infront but any further away [depending on the weather and road conditions] i will safely be able to stop. never been hassled by the police for it. if i cant safely stop, i wont.
wookie836 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #26
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ben View Post
If you enter the intersection, you're fine to go. Once you have crossed the line, you are in the intersection. That's what I was told when I took my Ps test a few years ago, as long as you cross the line when it's green, you aren't running a red / orange. This doesn't give you right of way though (as per the video), while the territory was at fault (imo) the falcon wasn't in the clear to go.
Yes your right....if your turning your allowed to sit IN the intersection till it's clear....then, even if it turns red your allowed to turn. Giving way was the key in that crash.
Old 16-05-2014, 12:37 PM   #27
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post

I think you'll find they all stay yellow for the same length of time
Incorrect, the yellow will stay on longer for intersections that are 80km than those that are 50, just think if an 80km zone with a yellow of 50km changes you have barely any time to react and slow down from that speed.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #28
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut0r View Post
Incorrect, the yellow will stay on longer for intersections that are 80km than those that are 50, just think if an 80km zone with a yellow of 50km changes you have barely any time to react and slow down from that speed.
I think your Correct, but there is one in Victoria I have a problem with.
Princes Highway turning right into Westal Road.
Its an 80km/hr zone but I'm sure its set for a lower speed, perhaps because its turning only.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #29
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Running yellows and reds is an epidemic in my town...err city.

Only have 4 sets of lights and none have red light cameras and don't the locals know it.

I've lost count of the times when I've gotten a green light and someone is still driving through at 60 kays...that's blatent **** taking right there.
Old 16-05-2014, 07:21 PM   #30
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Yeah red lights arent really worth a damn and orange just means floor it around here,people just drive through them like they arent even there lol